• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet Another Study Finds a Reduction in Opioid Deaths with Legalization of Cannabis

Nous

Premium Member
Recreational Cannabis Legalization and Opioid-Related Deaths in Colorado, 2000–2015

As the abstract explains, researchers compared changes in levels and slope of monthly opioid deaths before and after Colorado began selling recreational cannabis. They found that implementation of the law was associated with a reduction of 0.7 opioid deaths per month. The abstract notes that this represents a reversal of the upward trend in opioid deaths in Colorado that was occurring prior to the recreational cannabis law.

This is not the first study to find a decrease in opioid deaths with the legalization of marijuana, but it is the first study showing such a decrease associated with recreational legalization. A study published in 2014, Medical Cannabis Laws and Opioid Analgesic Overdose Mortality in the United States, 1999-2010 (which I cited and linked to on a thread a couple of years ago), conducted a time-series analysis of medical cannabis laws and state-level death certificate data from 1999 to 2010 in all 50 states (my underlining):

MAIN OUTCOMES AND MEASURES Age-adjusted opioid analgesic overdose death rate per 100,000 population in each state. Regression models were developed including state and year fixed effects, the presence of 3 different policies regarding opioid analgesics, and the state-specific unemployment rate.

RESULTS Three states (California, Oregon, and Washington) had medical cannabis laws effective prior to 1999. Ten states (Alaska, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Rhode Island, and Vermont) enacted medical cannabis laws between 1999 and 2010. States with medical cannabis laws had a 24.8% lower mean annual opioid overdose mortality rate (95% CI, −37.5% to −9.5%; P = .003) compared with states without medical cannabis laws. Examination of the association between medical cannabis laws and opioid analgesic overdose mortality in each year after implementation of the law showed that such laws were associated with a lower rate of overdose mortality that generally strengthened over time: year 1 (−19.9%; 95% CI, −30.6% to −7.7%; P = .002), year 2 (−25.2%; 95% CI, −40.6% to −5.9%; P = .01), year 3 (−23.6%; 95% CI, −41.1% to −1.0%; P = .04), year 4 (−20.2%; 95% CI, −33.6% to −4.0%; P = .02), year 5 (−33.7%; 95% CI, −50.9% to −10.4%; P = .008), and year 6 (−33.3%; 95% CI, −44.7% to −19.6%; P < .001). In secondary analyses, the findings remained similar.

CONCLUSIONS AND RELEVANCE Medical cannabis laws are associated with significantly lower state-level opioid overdose mortality rates. Further investigation is required to determine how medical cannabis laws may interact with policies aimed at preventing opioid analgesic overdose.​

In fact, one such study that further investigated the issue was published last year, Medical Cannabis Use Is Associated With Decreased Opiate Medication Use in a Retrospective Cross-Sectional Survey of Patients With Chronic Pain, which showed that patients with chronic pain who reported marijuana use were 64% less likely to use opiates. Marijuana use was associated with better quality of life in patients with chronic pain, and with fewer medications used and fewer adverse effects of medications used. (The fewer adverse effects of medications are quite plausibly due to use of fewer medications.)

Various studies have found other noteworthy health benefits related to cannabis use. A 2011 study, Obesity and cannabis use: results from 2 representative national surveys, discovered that the 2 surveys showed lower rates of obesity among those using cannabis at least 3 days per week (14.3% and 17.2%) compared to participants reporting no use in the past 12 months (22.0% and 25.3%). The authors note: “These differences were not accounted for by tobacco smoking status. Additionally, after adjustment for sex and age, the use of cannabis was associated with body mass index differences in both samples. The authors conclude that the prevalence of obesity is lower in cannabis users than in nonusers.” Controlling for sociodemographic factors, laboratory values and comorbidity, the lower odds of diabetes among marijuana users remained significant.

A study published in in 2013, The Impact of Marijuana Use on Glucose, Insulin, and Insulin Resistance among US Adults, evinced that current marijuana use was associated with 16% lower fasting insulin levels and 17% lower insulin-resistance. Further, current marijuana users had significantly smaller waist circumferences.

Seemingly related, a 2012 cross-sectional study, Decreased prevalence of diabetes in marijuana users: cross-sectional data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) III, ascertained that marijuana users had lower age-adjusted rates of diabetes mellitus, and that the “prevalence of elevated C reactive protein (>0.5 mg/dl) was significantly higher (p<0.0001) among nonmarijuana users (18.9%) than among past (12.7%) or current light (15.8%) or heavy (9.2%) users.” C reactive protein is produced by the liver and rises with increasing levels of inflammation. One study concluded that measuring this protein is a better indicator of cardiovascular disease than the LDL test. The C reactive protein test is also used to determine levels of inflammation involved in autoimmune conditions. See: What Is C-Reactive Protein Test?

Yet our current AG and his DEA maintain that marijuana has no medical value whatsoever and should remain a Schedule I drug. Thanks to all the American idiots who didn't bother to vote in 2016, or who pulled the lever for Trump in an effort to destroy the establishment.

So, what are your thoughts? When will the US achieve rational marijuana laws? That is, when will cannabis be legal? While Trump is in office?

Father

Devourer of Truth
7.6 billion 7,574,715,632. Humans.

Births today
Deaths today
Population Growth today

Births this year
Deaths this year
Population Growth this year

Apparently, Opioid deaths are not really an issue.
I didn't even know anyone still used it

abeb9b62e32e3acf197c71c159278b34.jpg

Last edited:

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
So, what are your thoughts? When will the US achieve rational marijuana laws? That is, when will cannabis be legal? While Trump is in office?

Decriminilazation is probably the best we will ever get. Which I think is the best route. It probably wont be in Trumps term. But I would like to think in the next 10 years we might get there. Atlanta just decriminlized marijuana within the city limits as long as you have under 1oz. Atlanta decriminalizes marijuana

This is a huge step forward toward decriminalization nationwide.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
To our credit, Canada will be legalizing pot with the announced date of July 2018. :)

No Way We'll Be Ready For Legal Pot Start Date, Police Groups Tell Feds

Though it would be a very long shot, Trump could follow suit and reverse the American position on pot thereby gaining a huge amount of support. What makes me think this might be possible is because there is no way Canada would proceed with this initiative if they got a lot of resistance from Washington. It would cause far too many problems along our massive border. So, you never know.

My guess is that the US is not far behind and may be looking at Canada as the canary in the coal mine.

Last edited:

Jumi

Interesting. I live with chronic pain, but so far cannabis here is still seen as the devil so I won't be using it.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
To our credit, Canada will be legalizing pot with the announced date of July 2018. :)

No Way We'll Be Ready For Legal Pot Start Date, Police Groups Tell Feds

Though it would be a very long shot, Trump could follow suit and reverse the American position on pot thereby gaining a huge amount of support. What makes me think this might be possible is because there is no way Canada would proceed with this initiative if they got a lot of resistance from Washington. It would cause far too many problems along our massive border. So, you never know.

My guess is that the US is not far behind and may be looking at Canada as the canary in the coal mine.

The current attorney general in the US is very anti-marijuana, as is the Christian Right. I don't know how much influence the former has, but the current administration seems to be putting its eggs in the evangelical basket, at least for the moment.

On the other hand, there is an interesting facet to all of this. Sessions is absolutely correct that federal law prohibits the sale and use of MJ, and his philosophy is to follow that law. That makes sense.

But since several states have legalized it already with more to come. . . It may simple force the federal government to legalize it all together. If sessions and trump push for a "religious freedom" bill, they could use that as a way to stave off the religous attack dogs, and get MJ legalization through. . . It's always hard to tell what they're really thinking sometimes.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
The current attorney general in the US is very anti-marijuana, as is the Christian Right. I don't know how much influence the former has, but the current administration seems to be putting its eggs in the evangelical basket, at least for the moment.

On the other hand, there is an interesting facet to all of this. Sessions is absolutely correct that federal law prohibits the sale and use of MJ, and his philosophy is to follow that law. That makes sense.

But since several states have legalized it already with more to come. . . It may simple force the federal government to legalize it all together. If sessions and trump push for a "religious freedom" bill, they could use that as a way to stave off the religous attack dogs, and get MJ legalization through. . . It's always hard to tell what they're really thinking sometimes.

I think it's just a matter of time. Of course it will have to be monitored just like alcohol. Probably age restrictions and dwui laws in place etc. But the tide seems to be turning even if ever so slightly.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
We need to repeal many of our drug laws in the UK.

Our Police just love the drug laws, because it's easy to find self-use drugs and get a success figure for the stats. It's easier for Police to justify on-spot searches.

We are wasting Police time, resources and funding for them to mess about with drug busts, when they could be focusing even more on road-safety, community policing, burglary, assault, theft, criminal damage and of course on missing-persons, sex-crime, manslaughter and murder.

If we decriminalised many drugs, then the seriously ill could benefit, the drug gangs would decline, drug revenues would balloon, police efficiency would rise, petty crime would reduce, drug and booze rehab centres could be afforded, our prison population could reduce.

It makes sense.

David T

Premium Member
By God
Recreational Cannabis Legalization and Opioid-Related Deaths in Colorado, 2000–2015

As the abstract explains, researchers compared changes in levels and slope of monthly opioid deaths before and after Colorado began selling recreational cannabis. They found that implementation of the law was associated with a reduction of 0.7 opioid deaths per month. The abstract notes that this represents a reversal of the upward trend in opioid deaths in Colorado that was occurring prior to the recreational cannabis law.

This is not the first study to find a decrease in opioid deaths with the legalization of marijuana, but it is the first study showing such a decrease associated with recreational legalization. A study published in 2014, Medical Cannabis Laws and Opioid Analgesic Overdose Mortality in the United States, 1999-2010 (which I cited and linked to on a thread a couple of years ago), conducted a time-series analysis of medical cannabis laws and state-level death certificate data from 1999 to 2010 in all 50 states (my underlining):

MAIN OUTCOMES AND MEASURES Age-adjusted opioid analgesic overdose death rate per 100,000 population in each state. Regression models were developed including state and year fixed effects, the presence of 3 different policies regarding opioid analgesics, and the state-specific unemployment rate.

RESULTS Three states (California, Oregon, and Washington) had medical cannabis laws effective prior to 1999. Ten states (Alaska, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Rhode Island, and Vermont) enacted medical cannabis laws between 1999 and 2010. States with medical cannabis laws had a 24.8% lower mean annual opioid overdose mortality rate (95% CI, −37.5% to −9.5%; P = .003) compared with states without medical cannabis laws. Examination of the association between medical cannabis laws and opioid analgesic overdose mortality in each year after implementation of the law showed that such laws were associated with a lower rate of overdose mortality that generally strengthened over time: year 1 (−19.9%; 95% CI, −30.6% to −7.7%; P = .002), year 2 (−25.2%; 95% CI, −40.6% to −5.9%; P = .01), year 3 (−23.6%; 95% CI, −41.1% to −1.0%; P = .04), year 4 (−20.2%; 95% CI, −33.6% to −4.0%; P = .02), year 5 (−33.7%; 95% CI, −50.9% to −10.4%; P = .008), and year 6 (−33.3%; 95% CI, −44.7% to −19.6%; P < .001). In secondary analyses, the findings remained similar.

CONCLUSIONS AND RELEVANCE Medical cannabis laws are associated with significantly lower state-level opioid overdose mortality rates. Further investigation is required to determine how medical cannabis laws may interact with policies aimed at preventing opioid analgesic overdose.​

In fact, one such study that further investigated the issue was published last year, Medical Cannabis Use Is Associated With Decreased Opiate Medication Use in a Retrospective Cross-Sectional Survey of Patients With Chronic Pain, which showed that patients with chronic pain who reported marijuana use were 64% less likely to use opiates. Marijuana use was associated with better quality of life in patients with chronic pain, and with fewer medications used and fewer adverse effects of medications used. (The fewer adverse effects of medications are quite plausibly due to use of fewer medications.)

Various studies have found other noteworthy health benefits related to cannabis use. A 2011 study, Obesity and cannabis use: results from 2 representative national surveys, discovered that the 2 surveys showed lower rates of obesity among those using cannabis at least 3 days per week (14.3% and 17.2%) compared to participants reporting no use in the past 12 months (22.0% and 25.3%). The authors note: “These differences were not accounted for by tobacco smoking status. Additionally, after adjustment for sex and age, the use of cannabis was associated with body mass index differences in both samples. The authors conclude that the prevalence of obesity is lower in cannabis users than in nonusers.” Controlling for sociodemographic factors, laboratory values and comorbidity, the lower odds of diabetes among marijuana users remained significant.

A study published in in 2013, The Impact of Marijuana Use on Glucose, Insulin, and Insulin Resistance among US Adults, evinced that current marijuana use was associated with 16% lower fasting insulin levels and 17% lower insulin-resistance. Further, current marijuana users had significantly smaller waist circumferences.

Seemingly related, a 2012 cross-sectional study, Decreased prevalence of diabetes in marijuana users: cross-sectional data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) III, ascertained that marijuana users had lower age-adjusted rates of diabetes mellitus, and that the “prevalence of elevated C reactive protein (>0.5 mg/dl) was significantly higher (p<0.0001) among nonmarijuana users (18.9%) than among past (12.7%) or current light (15.8%) or heavy (9.2%) users.” C reactive protein is produced by the liver and rises with increasing levels of inflammation. One study concluded that measuring this protein is a better indicator of cardiovascular disease than the LDL test. The C reactive protein test is also used to determine levels of inflammation involved in autoimmune conditions. See: What Is C-Reactive Protein Test?

Yet our current AG and his DEA maintain that marijuana has no medical value whatsoever and should remain a Schedule I drug. Thanks to all the American idiots who didn't bother to vote in 2016, or who pulled the lever for Trump in an effort to destroy the establishment.

Pot head!!! There are a lot of university grads whose livelyhood is threatened by the horticulturalists. Why if this pot thing continues humbolt state will become the major university in this field. Since I know it's filled with young high iq hippy scientists for a fact(my nephew is a prime example) this pot thing must stop or everyone will start to saunter through nature sounding like john Muir! That would be a disaster.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Indiana is slowly heading that way. We are technically medical for epilepsy now, though I'm not sure how they are actually going about this. But from some conversations I've had (such as with one parole officer) the state is restructuring itself to "test the waters," so to speak, in regards to full medical and possible decriminalization.
With the money Colorado is raking in (and not to mention saving), there is just no reason for fiscal conservatives to balk at legal pot.
And, realistically and lets be honest, someone who is stoned is usually not nearly as loud, obnoxious, rambunctious, or as poisoned as someone who is drunk.
However, though cannabis lacks the chemical addictiveness, on a psychological level I do suspect many are simply replacing one addiction for another. Cannabis of course isn't nearly as harmful or destructive as alcohol, but any addiction is not good.

Not opium, but opium derived medications; Lortab, Norcos, morphine, Tramadol, oxycodone, Vicodin, Fentanyl, Zohydro, methadone, etc.
I'm sure you've known at least a few who have used opioid narcotics.

Shadow Wolf

If we decriminalised many drugs, then the seriously ill could benefit, the drug gangs would decline, drug revenues would balloon, police efficiency would rise, petty crime would reduce, drug and booze rehab centres could be afforded, our prison population could reduce.

It makes sense.
One of my biggest complaint with making drugs illegal is it creates a huge and nearly impossible barrier for researchers to clear if they want to research the drug, even when it comes to addiction treatment. That, and it makes gangs and drug cartels frighteningly rich and destructively powerful.

Jumi

One of my biggest complaint with making drugs illegal is it creates a huge and nearly impossible barrier for researchers to clear if they want to research the drug, even when it comes to addiction treatment.
I wouldn't call the barrier impossible. Researchers can access some small amounts for research (how else would things like drug detectors be tested?), but of course, not as open as it could.

Shadow Wolf

I wouldn't call the barrier impossible. Researchers can access some small amounts for research (how else would things like drug detectors be tested?), but of course, not as open as it could.
That's why I said "nearly impossible." And drug detectors bring up a good point. Our research abilities are so limited we test people for drugs using methods and devices that really aren't that great. Doctors have commented on the tests not picking up things their patients told them they would have in their system, the CVS website has a list of OTC drugs that can potentially trigger a false-positive, and even the DOJ has stressed those tests aren't necessarily the most accurate or reliable.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
But wait!

I was clearly told that all drugs are equally bad, except of course for tobacco and alcohol, which must be safe since they're legal.

pearl

From my experience with caring for hospice pts cannabis
relieved the nausea from chemo and reduced the pain level. However it has its limits as to pain reduction. Anyone with a terminal illness is going to have to rely on the stronger meds and the addictive nature really doesn't apply. In the states where cannabis is legalized their anticipating taxes. The big question is where does the federal government stand. The present AG has promised to enforce the law against the legalization marijuana.

leibowde84

Veteran Member

This seems like common sense. Cannabis can actually be used as a way to ween addicts off of opiates. Cannabis is not physically addicting, it is impossible to cause an overdose (death), and also makes it nearly impossible to have a seizure while on it. It's certainly time to reschedule this useful substance.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
7.6 billion 7,574,715,632. Humans.

Births today
Deaths today
Population Growth today

Births this year
Deaths this year
Population Growth this year

abeb9b62e32e3acf197c71c159278b34.jpg
I'm sorry, but how is any of this relevant? Why would this lead you to believe that opioid deaths are not a big issue?

I didn't know it was possible to not know about the increasing, terrible opioid epidemic devouring our country right now. Please do some research and stay informed on this critical issue to US health. Opioids are far more popular than ever before, and their popularity is growing by the day.

"Drug overdose is the leading cause of accidental death in the US, with 52,404 lethal drug overdoses in 2015. Opioid addiction is driving this epidemic, with 20,101 overdose deaths related to prescription pain relievers, and 12,990 overdose deaths related to heroin in 2015. 5"
From https://www.asam.org/docs/default-source/advocacy/opioid-addiction-disease-facts-figures.pdf