• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet Another Study Finds a Reduction in Opioid Deaths with Legalization of Cannabis

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Decriminilazation is probably the best we will ever get. Which I think is the best route. It probably wont be in Trumps term. But I would like to think in the next 10 years we might get there. Atlanta just decriminlized marijuana within the city limits as long as you have under 1oz. Atlanta decriminalizes marijuana

This is a huge step forward toward decriminalization nationwide.
Cannabis is legal in Washington, D.C. You can't legally sell it because the GOP made a stupid move trying to stop legalization, but, instead, merely stopped taxation. But, you can obtain it legally through "gifts".

Now it is legal recreationally in 8 states plus D.C. And, that trend is going to go up. Everyone except for the old, southern ignoramuses are in favor of legalization. All of the data seems to point to it providing a lot of benefits.

Congress MUST reschedule cannabis ASAP.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
To our credit, Canada will be legalizing pot with the announced date of July 2018. :)

No Way We'll Be Ready For Legal Pot Start Date, Police Groups Tell Feds

Though it would be a very long shot, Trump could follow suit and reverse the American position on pot thereby gaining a huge amount of support. What makes me think this might be possible is because there is no way Canada would proceed with this initiative if they got a lot of resistance from Washington. It would cause far too many problems along our massive border. So, you never know.

My guess is that the US is not far behind and may be looking at Canada as the canary in the coal mine.
I don't think it would cause any problem. It is already legal in 8 states plus DC. Cannabis is so easy to find, legalization in Canada is not going to change anything. They have legal cannabis marketplaces all over DC now.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
One of my biggest complaint with making drugs illegal is it creates a huge and nearly impossible barrier for researchers to clear if they want to research the drug, even when it comes to addiction treatment. That, and it makes gangs and drug cartels frighteningly rich and destructively powerful.
Yep......
On the side of this debate, many UK Police Forces would be absolutely lost if they had to get out to detect and deter all the other kinds of crimes that are continuing.......

I have no idea how many people might die from overdose in a repealed society, nor how many die at this time from gang killings, overdose, etc..... but my guess is that many many lives will actually be saved through the repeal of many of the drug laws.

Nous

Premium Member
Decriminilazation is probably the best we will ever get. Which I think is the best route. It probably wont be in Trumps term. But I would like to think in the next 10 years we might get there. Atlanta just decriminlized marijuana within the city limits as long as you have under 1oz. Atlanta decriminalizes marijuana

This is a huge step forward toward decriminalization nationwide.
Decriminalization is a step forward. However, as Leib pointed out, 7 states and DC have legalized recreational use. Twenty other states have broad medical marijuana laws. There is definitely a direction in the trend, which will presumably continue--if Sessions doesn't kill the whole thing.

Nous

Premium Member
To our credit, Canada will be legalizing pot with the announced date of July 2018. :)

No Way We'll Be Ready For Legal Pot Start Date, Police Groups Tell Feds

Though it would be a very long shot, Trump could follow suit and reverse the American position on pot thereby gaining a huge amount of support. What makes me think this might be possible is because there is no way Canada would proceed with this initiative if they got a lot of resistance from Washington. It would cause far too many problems along our massive border. So, you never know.

My guess is that the US is not far behind and may be looking at Canada as the canary in the coal mine.
I started to ask a question about Canada's new legalization. It's difficult to believe that Canada's example is not going to have some effect on states or the US generally.

It would certainly be interesting to learn what sort of strong-arming US diplomats did in Canada to prevent the legalization. You know it happened. It's probably still happening.

Nous

Premium Member
Trump could follow suit and reverse the American position on pot thereby gaining a huge amount of support.
I see to recall that one of his kids said that every morning Trump was tell them something like "Don't drink. Don't do drugs." I'm certain marijuana qualifies as a drug in his three neurons.

Nous

Premium Member
If sessions and trump push for a "religious freedom" bill, they could use that as a way to stave off the religous attack dogs, and get MJ legalization through.
No court is going to find that federal marijuana laws violate the RFRA.

Nous

Premium Member
Indiana is slowly heading that way. We are technically medical for epilepsy now
I did not know that. That is apparently a unique law. However, I think Arkansas' recently enacted medical marijuana law is (going to be) limited to just a few medical conditions, and, I think, no mental disorders.

And, realistically and lets be honest, someone who is stoned is usually not nearly as loud, obnoxious, rambunctious, or as poisoned as someone who is drunk.
I mean!

Nous

Premium Member
From my experience with caring for hospice pts cannabis
relieved the nausea from chemo and reduced the pain level. However it has its limits as to pain reduction. Anyone with a terminal illness is going to have to rely on the stronger meds and the addictive nature really doesn't apply. In the states where cannabis is legalized their anticipating taxes.
You're quite right on all counts. Marijuana is not a major--or even a minor--analgesic. The statistics noted in the OP about cannabis use and reduction in opioid deaths and use probably says more about the nature of the pain for which so many Americans are seeking so many opioids.

In any case, of course people in hospices are not driving the opioid epidemic.

The big question is where does the federal government stand. The present AG has promised to enforce the law against the legalization marijuana.
Sessions has not been entirely clear about what he might do. So far, he has not thrown the Obama-era rules against non-enforcement of federal law in states that have legalized. I think there might be a little bit of an uproar if he does that.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It would certainly be interesting to learn what sort of strong-arming US diplomats did in Canada to prevent the legalization. You know it happened. It's probably still happening.
Exactly. This is a pretty big step to take with out our big brother being slightly on-side. That's why I used the canary in a coal mine analogy. Who knows what passes for thought in Trump's mind?

I see to recall that one of his kids said that every morning Trump was tell them something like "Don't drink. Don't do drugs." I'm certain marijuana qualifies as a drug in his three neurons.
I know, LOL, and was thinking similarly. That said, he could perhaps be enticed by the immense profits legalization would encourage.

Nous

Premium Member
Exactly. This is a pretty big step to take with out our big brother being slightly on-side. That's why I used the canary in a coal mine analogy. Who knows what passes for thought in Trump's mind?
Is there such thing as dead electricity? If so, that's what happening among Trump's 3 neurons.

I know, LOL, and was thinking similarly. That said, he could perhaps be enticed by the immense profits legalization would encourage.
You know, he might wipe out a bunch of federal marijuana rules just to spite the Republicans next time one rubs him the wrong way.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Is there such thing as dead electricity? If so, that's what happening among Trump's 3 neurons.

You know, he might wipe out a bunch of federal marijuana rules just to spite the Republicans next time one rubs him the wrong way.
Agreed, I'd never put anything past his need to stick it to people for whatever reason.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I have no idea how many people might die from overdose in a repealed society, nor how many die at this time from gang killings, overdose, etc..... but my guess is that many many lives will actually be saved through the repeal of many of the drug laws.
From the data we have from states like Colorado and nations like Portugal, it seems like overdose deaths are down, as is overall usage.
Decriminalization is a step forward. However, as Leib pointed out, 7 states and DC have legalized recreational use. Twenty other states have broad medical marijuana laws. There is definitely a direction in the trend, which will presumably continue--if Sessions doesn't kill the whole thing.
I can see there being a very huge legal war fought over that. You know Colorado is not going to easily give up the mountain of tax revenue it's been effortlessly raking in. And with California set to sell recreationally next year, there will be two states fighting over that.
It may for some, such as Rastafarians, they might. First Nations using peyote was the federal RFRA, so there is some precedence established. But, on the other hand, that I'm aware because anyone can claim to be Rastafarian (rather than something more concrete such as tribal membership), it may create an issue in giving in the green light for pot in that regard.
I think it's something along the lines of "What Would Me Do?" Except that is too complete, too coherent, and isn't rambled on and off topic, and it should probably be "What Would Great Super Me Amazingly and Greatly Do - The Bestest Anyone Has Ever Seen And Is Just Going to Love?"

LMAO!!! I can see it now: Trump weed....not good looking or smelling, seedy, made in Mexico. :D

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Recreational Cannabis Legalization and Opioid-Related Deaths in Colorado, 2000–2015

As the abstract explains, researchers compared changes in levels and slope of monthly opioid deaths before and after Colorado began selling recreational cannabis. They found that implementation of the law was associated with a reduction of 0.7 opioid deaths per month. The abstract notes that this represents a reversal of the upward trend in opioid deaths in Colorado that was occurring prior to the recreational cannabis law.

This is not the first study to find a decrease in opioid deaths with the legalization of marijuana, but it is the first study showing such a decrease associated with recreational legalization. A study published in 2014, Medical Cannabis Laws and Opioid Analgesic Overdose Mortality in the United States, 1999-2010 (which I cited and linked to on a thread a couple of years ago), conducted a time-series analysis of medical cannabis laws and state-level death certificate data from 1999 to 2010 in all 50 states (my underlining):

MAIN OUTCOMES AND MEASURES Age-adjusted opioid analgesic overdose death rate per 100,000 population in each state. Regression models were developed including state and year fixed effects, the presence of 3 different policies regarding opioid analgesics, and the state-specific unemployment rate.

RESULTS Three states (California, Oregon, and Washington) had medical cannabis laws effective prior to 1999. Ten states (Alaska, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Rhode Island, and Vermont) enacted medical cannabis laws between 1999 and 2010. States with medical cannabis laws had a 24.8% lower mean annual opioid overdose mortality rate (95% CI, −37.5% to −9.5%; P = .003) compared with states without medical cannabis laws. Examination of the association between medical cannabis laws and opioid analgesic overdose mortality in each year after implementation of the law showed that such laws were associated with a lower rate of overdose mortality that generally strengthened over time: year 1 (−19.9%; 95% CI, −30.6% to −7.7%; P = .002), year 2 (−25.2%; 95% CI, −40.6% to −5.9%; P = .01), year 3 (−23.6%; 95% CI, −41.1% to −1.0%; P = .04), year 4 (−20.2%; 95% CI, −33.6% to −4.0%; P = .02), year 5 (−33.7%; 95% CI, −50.9% to −10.4%; P = .008), and year 6 (−33.3%; 95% CI, −44.7% to −19.6%; P < .001). In secondary analyses, the findings remained similar.

CONCLUSIONS AND RELEVANCE Medical cannabis laws are associated with significantly lower state-level opioid overdose mortality rates. Further investigation is required to determine how medical cannabis laws may interact with policies aimed at preventing opioid analgesic overdose.​

In fact, one such study that further investigated the issue was published last year, Medical Cannabis Use Is Associated With Decreased Opiate Medication Use in a Retrospective Cross-Sectional Survey of Patients With Chronic Pain, which showed that patients with chronic pain who reported marijuana use were 64% less likely to use opiates. Marijuana use was associated with better quality of life in patients with chronic pain, and with fewer medications used and fewer adverse effects of medications used. (The fewer adverse effects of medications are quite plausibly due to use of fewer medications.)

Various studies have found other noteworthy health benefits related to cannabis use. A 2011 study, Obesity and cannabis use: results from 2 representative national surveys, discovered that the 2 surveys showed lower rates of obesity among those using cannabis at least 3 days per week (14.3% and 17.2%) compared to participants reporting no use in the past 12 months (22.0% and 25.3%). The authors note: “These differences were not accounted for by tobacco smoking status. Additionally, after adjustment for sex and age, the use of cannabis was associated with body mass index differences in both samples. The authors conclude that the prevalence of obesity is lower in cannabis users than in nonusers.” Controlling for sociodemographic factors, laboratory values and comorbidity, the lower odds of diabetes among marijuana users remained significant.

A study published in in 2013, The Impact of Marijuana Use on Glucose, Insulin, and Insulin Resistance among US Adults, evinced that current marijuana use was associated with 16% lower fasting insulin levels and 17% lower insulin-resistance. Further, current marijuana users had significantly smaller waist circumferences.

Seemingly related, a 2012 cross-sectional study, Decreased prevalence of diabetes in marijuana users: cross-sectional data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) III, ascertained that marijuana users had lower age-adjusted rates of diabetes mellitus, and that the “prevalence of elevated C reactive protein (>0.5 mg/dl) was significantly higher (p<0.0001) among nonmarijuana users (18.9%) than among past (12.7%) or current light (15.8%) or heavy (9.2%) users.” C reactive protein is produced by the liver and rises with increasing levels of inflammation. One study concluded that measuring this protein is a better indicator of cardiovascular disease than the LDL test. The C reactive protein test is also used to determine levels of inflammation involved in autoimmune conditions. See: What Is C-Reactive Protein Test?

Yet our current AG and his DEA maintain that marijuana has no medical value whatsoever and should remain a Schedule I drug. Thanks to all the American idiots who didn't bother to vote in 2016, or who pulled the lever for Trump in an effort to destroy the establishment.

So, what are your thoughts? When will the US achieve rational marijuana laws? That is, when will cannabis be legal? While Trump is in office?
Well maybe people will get their wish and be high. While they are at it, they might as well lower cigarette and tobacco prices too.

Nous

Premium Member
I can see there being a very huge legal war fought over that.
If Sessions decides to enforce federal laws as they are, there isn't much (if anything) the states can do in court.

But I do think there would be a backlash if Sessions does something so drastic. However, it would ultimately be up to Congress to do something about it.

It may for some, such as Rastafarians, they might.
In fact, the Ninth Circuit did find that a man claiming to be Rastafarian and who brought cannabis into the country was protected by the RFRA. But ironically and inexplicably (in contrast to the other well known cases), the court upheld his conviction of importation of marijuana. I'm unsure if the decision was appealed.

Nevertheless, very few Americans could establish that they are Rastafarian.

Nous

Premium Member
Well maybe people will get their wish and be high. While they are at it, they might as well lower cigarette and tobacco prices while they are at it.
What does any of that mean?

Why don't you try addressing the findings of the health benefits of marijuana noted by the studies in the OP?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What does any of that mean?

Why don't you try addressing the findings of the health benefits of marijuana noted by the studies in the OP?
Actually, I'm a proponent of medical use.

Cannabis can be very effective in dealing with issues like pain and anxiety. Just remove the mind-altering effects which is possible in its oil form.

Nous

Premium Member
Cannabis can be very effective in dealing with issues like pain and anxiety. Just remove the mind-altering effects which is possible in its oil form.
I haven't seen any studies showing the effectiveness of cannabis for pain or anxiety when its psychoactive properties are "removed". Show us those studies.