• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet Another Study Finds a Reduction in Opioid Deaths with Legalization of Cannabis

Super Universe

Defender of God
Most people downplay the risks of anything. That "it can't happen to me/here" mentality, where bad things just happen to other people. But as far as smokers go, I've heard plenty of them ask why they do it to themselves.

That's a big jump from usage to addiction. I've taken opiate narcotics at various times--substances that are very addictive--yet I didn't become an addict.

Most people downplay the risks of things? They do. The argument that was being made was that there were large improvements in patient health, healing, relationships, and outlook provided by pot. That claim is ridiculous unless you only listen to a drug addict talk about how drugs are beneficial to their lives.

There's a big jump from useage to addiction? If you never use it even once or twice can you still get addicted?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Most people downplay the risks of things? They do. The argument that was being made was that there were large improvements in patient health, healing, relationships, and outlook provided by pot. That claim is ridiculous unless you only listen to a drug addict talk about how drugs are beneficial to their lives.
I'm assuming you've never talked to a psychiatric patient. For many, drugs--ranging from derivatives of opium and meth and and even MDMA and LSD--have been beneficial in many different ways, making it possible for some to live a functioning life and be at peace. More often than not though they are used to help us through a hard time, like narcotics and NSAIDs. Frequently and often they are and always have been used with religious and spiritual ceremonies and rituals (they tend to walk hand-in-hand like poverty and violence). And some of them, like alcohol, when consumed in moderation have health benefits.
Your claim can only be said by someone who doesn't grasp the width and breadth of the subject of drugs.

Super Universe

Defender of God
I'm assuming you've never talked to a psychiatric patient. For many, drugs--ranging from derivatives of opium and meth and and even MDMA and LSD--have been beneficial in many different ways, making it possible for some to live a functioning life and be at peace. More often than not though they are used to help us through a hard time, like narcotics and NSAIDs. Frequently and often they are and always have been used with religious and spiritual ceremonies and rituals (they tend to walk hand-in-hand like poverty and violence). And some of them, like alcohol, when consumed in moderation have health benefits.
Your claim can only be said by someone who doesn't grasp the width and breadth of the subject of drugs.

I've never talked to a psychiatric patient? So to you the effectiveness of hallucinogenic drugs is determined by the patient who has mental problems to begin with?

Opium, meth, MDMA, and LSD allow some to live functioning life and be at peace? So you think addicts are "functioning" and at peace? This is pure drug culture nonsense.

More often than not drugs help addicts through a hard time? How do they help you through a hard time?

Drugs have been used with religious and spiritual ceremonies and rituals? Those people never even invented the wheel. Maybe that's why?

My claim can only be said by someone who doesn't grasp the width and breadth of the subject of drugs? And your claim is just addict excuses.

Shadow Wolf

I've never talked to a psychiatric patient? So to you the effectiveness of hallucinogenic drugs is determined by the patient who has mental problems to begin with?
To some degree, but not entirely.
Opium, meth, MDMA, and LSD
Opiump; pain managment. Meth (several derivatives are actually used); ADHD. MDMA; PTSD. LSD; Coping with the end of one's own life.
More often than not drugs help addicts through a hard time? How do they help you through a hard time?
I tend to have something to help ease pains after surgery. Most people do.
Drugs have been used with religious and spiritual ceremonies and rituals? Those people never even invented the wheel. Maybe that's why?
Yes, those who invinted the wheel used drugs for religious purposes. It's very possible Greek oracles used ether, First Nation consumes peyote, Rastafarians use cannabis, Catholics (and other Christian denominations) use alcohol. The list literally goes on and on and on, stretching back to our earliest days as a species and probably before us even.

My claim can only be said by someone who doesn't grasp the width and breadth of the subject of drugs? And your claim is just addict excuses.
Whether it be an MS patient, tribal shaman, or even someone just wanting to get high once in awhile, they aren't addicts.

Shadow Wolf

Actually, if you want a drug pusher that feeds people's addiction and a drugged up crowd to yell at, here's a good one to start with:
39564.png

Super Universe

Defender of God
To some degree, but not entirely.

Opiump; pain managment. Meth (several derivatives are actually used); ADHD. MDMA; PTSD. LSD; Coping with the end of one's own life.

I tend to have something to help ease pains after surgery. Most people do.

Yes, those who invinted the wheel used drugs for religious purposes. It's very possible Greek oracles used ether, First Nation consumes peyote, Rastafarians use cannabis, Catholics (and other Christian denominations) use alcohol. The list literally goes on and on and on, stretching back to our earliest days as a species and probably before us even.

Whether it be an MS patient, tribal shaman, or even someone just wanting to get high once in awhile, they aren't addicts.

This is all typical drug addict excuses. You can't handle life, your life, without an escape so that's why you want drugs. You want the high, you want to stop being you for a while.

Shadow Wolf

Coffee doesn't cause people to try to eat the baby they are babysitting.
Coffee, caffeine more specifically, is a drug, addiction to it runs rampant throughout our society, and it's considered normal to start the day off abusing it like the last day and the day before that.
That story is false, originated from World News Daily Report, and was accompanied by this disclaimer (look at the bottom of the page for it):
Missouri: Babysitter on Crystal Meth Eats 3-Month-Old Toddler
WNDR assumes all responsibility for the satirical nature of its articles and for the fictional nature of their content. All characters appearing in the articles in this website — even those based on real people — are entirely fictional and any resemblance between them and any persons, living, dead, or undead is purely a miracle.
This is all typical drug addict excuses. You can't handle life, your life, without an escape so that's why you want drugs. You want the high, you want to stop being you for a while.
How about you actually study and research the subject instead of dismissing it all as "drug addict excuses?" Or at the very minimum acknowledge OTC, prescription, and street drugs are different categories (mostly) and that people can benefit from them. If that takes me a Tums addict (I've had nasty heartburn almost constantly since I've developed IBS), then I guess so be it. The day is easier when I'm not grabbing at my chest throughout because it feels like acid was poured down my throat. I'm also fond of Aleve and Advil for my arthritis (I use on for awhile then switch to the other for awhile then back). Xanax helps me sleep, and things like Claritin and Benedryl are godsent-drugs during allergy season.
And, honestly, I'd rather smoke a couple tokes than take a handful of pills. It also bypasses the "chemical Russian roulette" of psychotropic medications that hasn't worked out very well for me thus far. And when you have major depressive disorder and/or generalized anxiety, drugs help a lot. When you're in chronic pain, drugs help. Cannabis helps with a plethora of ailments, and it's something patients can even grow/produce themselves.
And on top of that, teen usage has went down in legal state, states are racking in tons of tax revenue, and death from opioids are going down.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Cannabis doesn't do this either. Did you forget what drug this thread was about?

Did I forget what the topic was about? Nope, Shadow Wolf brought up opium, meth, MDMA, and LSD, and stated that they allow people to live functioning lives so I posted what happens when some people take meth. But you did not post a comment to Shadow Wolf about not sticking to the topic, hmm, I wonder why?

I guess addicts feel a need to stick together.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Coffee, caffeine more specifically, is a drug, addiction to it runs rampant throughout our society, and it's considered normal to start the day off abusing it like the last day and the day before that.

That story is false, originated from World News Daily Report, and was accompanied by this disclaimer (look at the bottom of the page for it):
Missouri: Babysitter on Crystal Meth Eats 3-Month-Old Toddler

How about you actually study and research the subject instead of dismissing it all as "drug addict excuses?" Or at the very minimum acknowledge OTC, prescription, and street drugs are different categories (mostly) and that people can benefit from them. If that takes me a Tums addict (I've had nasty heartburn almost constantly since I've developed IBS), then I guess so be it. The day is easier when I'm not grabbing at my chest throughout because it feels like acid was poured down my throat. I'm also fond of Aleve and Advil for my arthritis (I use on for awhile then switch to the other for awhile then back). Xanax helps me sleep, and things like Claritin and Benedryl are godsent-drugs during allergy season.
And, honestly, I'd rather smoke a couple tokes than take a handful of pills. It also bypasses the "chemical Russian roulette" of psychotropic medications that hasn't worked out very well for me thus far. And when you have major depressive disorder and/or generalized anxiety, drugs help a lot. When you're in chronic pain, drugs help. Cannabis helps with a plethora of ailments, and it's something patients can even grow/produce themselves.
And on top of that, teen usage has went down in legal state, states are racking in tons of tax revenue, and death from opioids are going down.

Caffeine is a drug? It is but it does not cause hallucinations. Caffeine does not make you go into a daze and forget who you are. It just makes you feel awake.

The story of the babysitter on meth is false? Ah, so it is.

What about this one?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=people+on+meth&qpvt=people+on+meth+&FORM=IGRE

I should study and research the subject of drugs instead of dismissing it all? There are legal drugs that help with some things. I have no problem with legal drugs. But some people want illegal drugs to get high. If they could be responsible and get high at home and not drive then the rest of us might be okay with pot but you can't be responsible. You get high, then get hungry and drive and cause accidents.

One of my neighbors who is a pothead and on meth or crack, whichever she can get I guess, leaves car parts on the mile long dirt road to her house because she is ricocheting off the trees. One time she went completely off the road and got her RAV4 stuck for days. And she drops lit cigarettes out the window in summer time when all the grass is dry. I live in the mountains, a fire that starts nearby will give my other neighbors only a few minutes to get out and there is only one road. A fire will destroy hundreds of homes and kill people, all because a 60's drug culture chick can't handle life without hallucinogenic drugs.

How come the rest of us always have to pay because you got yourself addicted to drugs?

Nous

Premium Member
I haven't seen any studies showing the effectiveness of cannabis for pain or anxiety when its psychoactive properties are "removed". Show us those studies.
That came from my cardiologist when I mentioned my anxiety attacks.
And we can assume that you are notable to show that your anecdote is either true or false. Correct?

According to a review article, there haven't been any human studies with any statisitcal power relating to cannabidiol pills and anxiety: Cannabidiol as a Potential Treatment for Anxiety Disorders

In any case, the studies cited in the OP show decreases in opioid deaths with legalization of cannabis and various other health benefits of smoking marijuana, not from taking synthetic cannabidiol pills. (I hope that fact does not induce too much anxiety for you.)

Nous

Premium Member
People that smoke are less likely to be the sort of high strung stress case that would be willing to stick a needle in their arm just to be able to chill the f out.
The opioid epidemic in the US is not due to people "willing to stick a needle in their arm".

Shadow Wolf

And we can assume that you are notable to show that your anecdote is either true or false. Correct?

According to a review article, there haven't been any human studies with any statisitcal power relating to cannabidiol pills and anxiety: Cannabidiol as a Potential Treatment for Anxiety Disorders

In any case, the studies cited in the OP show decreases in opioid deaths with legalization of cannabis and various other health benefits of smoking marijuana, not from taking synthetic cannabidiol pills. (I hope that fact does not induce too much anxiety for you.)
I can't vouch for their efficacy (never been on them), but I can say Merinol can't work like regular cannabis not because it's synthetic but because it's only THC and not the other cannabonoids that help make pot a medicinal plant (such as CBD, which helps with things like seizures and IBS); and also that the serums that don't get you high are very ridiculously expensive (over $100 at the dispensary I went to in Colorado).

Nous

Premium Member
You obviously did not notice the two links that I posted in that post.
I read both of the links you provided. They have nothing to do with the findings of the studies cited in the OP showing decreased opioid death rates in states that have legalized cannabis and showing various other health benefits of use of marijuana.

Did you actually look up and read the studies, or just the little blurbs about them?