• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet Another Study Finds a Reduction in Opioid Deaths with Legalization of Cannabis

Super Universe

Defender of God
Why are you so hardcore focused on addiction?

Addicts don't keep their addiction to themselves. They drive stoned, the operate machinery stoned, they steal to get money for their drugs, they get paranoid and think their neighbors are trying to do something to them. Don't kill my family because you got stoned and wanted to drive to the store and get a bag of cheetoh's.

One of my neighbors, not the crack addict one a different one, grew up in the 60's. When I first bought my land and started working on my house pad she and her husband invited me over to sit around the campfire and talk. They are potheads but I am very against it and other illegal drugs. She told me that drugs expand your consciousness and I said that drugs destroy lives. We agreed to disagree. She did not tell me that her daughter was and still is addicted to meth. And the daughters 19 year old son got himself hooked on ecstasy and overdosed two years ago. My neighbor sat on her front porch chair and cried for days.

Super Universe

Defender of God
I read both of the links you provided. They have nothing to do with the findings of the studies cited in the OP showing decreased opioid death rates in states that have legalized cannabis and showing various other health benefits of use of marijuana.

Did you actually look up and read the studies, or just the little blurbs about them?

The links I posted have nothing to do with the findings of the studies in the OP?

They are counter points.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Actually, if you want a drug pusher that feeds people's addiction and a drugged up crowd to yell at, here's a good one to start with:
39564.png

LOL

Suddenly, I'm jonesing for a decaf Grande iced vanilla with only about half the vanilla syrup they normally use, half-soy / half-low fat organic milk, a double shot of half foamless white chocolate mocha latte and half gingerbread cappuccino, extra dry, with light ice and one Sweet-n'-Low and one NutraSweet.

[paraphrased from a Carlin joke]

I remember a gal who owned and worked a liquor store who stood in front of a wall of booze and was under a canopy of cigarettes for sale in a clear case over the cash register, who complained about drug dealers.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Counter points to what? Quote the point, then the counter-point.

Point: Pot decreases the rate of opiod deaths by 0.7%.

Counterpoint: But pot also has bad side effects. See the two links.

And why would any society want to decrease the rate of opiod deaths? That's interfering with evolution at work.

Nous

Premium Member
Point: Pot decreases the rate of opiod deaths by 0.7%.

Counterpoint: But pot also has bad side effects.
(1) You haven't quoted anything here. Copy and paste the actual statements.

(2) The statement that you labeled "counterpoint" has no relationship whatsoever to the first statement that you labeled "point". Your second statement isn't a response in any way to your first statement. Your second statement doesn't provide any factual information about your first statement. Your second statement doesn't suggest that the your first statement isn't true in some way.

Statin drugs lower cholesterol. Statin have bad side effects. What does one conclude from those 2 statements?

Super Universe

Defender of God
Because you took things on an absurd turn.

What do you think I'm addicted to? Have you met me?

Using illegal drugs is absurd.

What do I think you are addicted to? I'm sure you don't think you are addicted to anything at all.

Have I met you? I hope not. We have more than enough potheads where I live.

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
Using illegal drugs is absurd.
Some things shouldn't be illegal.

What do I think you are addicted to? I'm sure you don't think you are addicted to anything at all.

Have I met you? I hope not. We have more than enough potheads where I live.
You're quick to make accusations. When did I ever say I've touched pot? Of course it's easier to dismiss me as a pothead than actually listening to anything I have to say. That would disrupt your entire foundation here.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You can't handle life, your life, without an escape so that's why you want drugs.

I did once feel like that. I was in a state of extreme angst. The drug I turned to was the opiate of the masses, religion.

Eventually, I got better and kicked the habit. I tunneled out. Reason was my methadone.

Addiction is any compulsive, destructive behavior, not just substance abuse. One can be addicted to shopping, sex, eating, gambling, and more, including religion.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
And we can assume that you are notable to show that your anecdote is either true or false. Correct?

According to a review article, there haven't been any human studies with any statisitcal power relating to cannabidiol pills and anxiety: Cannabidiol as a Potential Treatment for Anxiety Disorders

In any case, the studies cited in the OP show decreases in opioid deaths with legalization of cannabis and various other health benefits of smoking marijuana, not from taking synthetic cannabidiol pills. (I hope that fact does not induce too much anxiety for you.)
Well we all know the debates are pretty much over THC.
The thing that gets you high.

Not any medical benefits minus the buzz people like to get which Im pretty sure people are gunning for.

Just admit it's all about the high.

Nous

Premium Member
Well we all know the debates are pretty much over THC.
Where did you get that idea?

The topic of the OP is about the findings of scientific studies showing that legalization of cannabis is associated with decreases in opioid deaths, and showing various other health benefits of use of marijuana. there is no debate about those findings, is there?

What do you wish to debate about those findings?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The topic of the OP is about the findings of scientific studies showing that legalization of cannabis is associated with decreases in opioid deaths, and showing various other health benefits of use of marijuana. there is no debate about those findings, is there?
I am generally very suspicious of such studies. It's just too easy to tweak a few variables to get the results desired.

But this one is so easy and rational. Make safer things more available and the less safe things drop. Pot is vastly safer than opioids. So making it more readily available will decrease the danger posed by opioids.
Why is this hard to understand?

Tom

Super Universe

Defender of God
Some things shouldn't be illegal.

You're quick to make accusations. When did I ever say I've touched pot? Of course it's easier to dismiss me as a pothead than actually listening to anything I have to say. That would disrupt your entire foundation here.

Illegal drugs should not be illegal? Every society has limits on what drugs are legal and what drugs are not. The addicts don't make the rules just like children don't rule the house.

I'm quick to make accusations? You are supporting pot. It's not a stretch to say that you are a pothead, but I'm sure you think using it almost every day is not technically being a pothead.

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
Illegal drugs should not be illegal? Every society has limits on what drugs are legal and what drugs are not.
Some drugs should be legal. We have plenty of legal drugs already. It's a matter of classification that we've been wrong about before.

The addicts don't make the rules just like children don't rule the house.
I never said this was the case. Jumping to conclusions again?

I'm quick to make accusations? You are supporting pot. It's not a stretch to say that you are a pothead, but I'm sure you think using it almost every day is not technically being a pothead.
More baseless assumptions. I've never felt like smoking pot. Of course that doesn't fit with your narrative, so you're never going to listen.