• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You say that there is a god...

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@dybmh I guess you wasted your breath. You might as well had
animated-smileys-angry-049.gif

It's ok. It's good learning for me and others. And now it's fully exposed. It really is projection and arrogance.

But nothing happens in a vacuum. Medical Narcissism is taught in Medical school. It's encouraged, it's fed by patients and staff. The MD is a product of their environment just like everyone. Not that they can't lift themself out of it, but it's not all their fault. And it's a drug just like any other. Once a person is hooked on it, they don't feel "normal" or "good" without it.

If a person needs that god-like feeling, then if they feel foolish, they will kick other people down to build themself back up.

Like other non-substance related addictions, if a person does not recognize it as unhealthy they're not going to be open to seeing it as a flaw. For medical narcissism, a person might credit their own imagined god-like power and insight as a life saving skill.

It's not something that has a lot of research behind it. Medical Narcissism isn't the same as pathological narcissism. But in a study done by university of Chicago approx. 33% of MDs 332/1000 showed enough indicators for pathological narcissism to warrant further study. For every 3 MDs, 1 of them is going to have some narcissistic tendencies.

www.cmu.edu/dietrich/sds/docs/loewenstein/physicianNarcissism.pdf

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Solipsism, not interested.

Yeah, that problem is that not interested is solipsism in a sense, because it ends it how the world makes sense to you and that is solipsism.
Where as I am interested in how other humans can make sense of the world differently than me and how they can understand differenlty than me.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
It's ok. It's good learning for me and others. And now it's fully exposed. It really is projection and arrogance.

But nothing happens in a vacuum. Medical Narcissism is taught in Medical school. It's encouraged, it's fed by patients and staff. The MD is a product of their environment just like everyone. Not that they can't lift themself out of it, but it's not all their fault. And it's a drug just like any other. Once a person is hooked on it, they don't feel "normal" or "good" without it.

If a person needs that god-like feeling, then if they feel foolish, they will kick other people down to build themself back up.

Like other non-substance related addictions, if a person does not recognize it as unhealthy they're not going to be open to seeing it as a flaw. For medical narcissism, a person might credit their own imagined god-like power and insight as a life saving skill.

It's not something that has a lot of research behind it. Medical Narcissism isn't the same as pathological narcissism. But in a study done by university of Chicago approx. 33% of MDs 332/1000 showed enough indicators for pathological narcissism to warrant further study. For every 3 MDs, 1 of them is going to have some narcissistic tendencies.

www.cmu.edu/dietrich/sds/docs/loewenstein/physicianNarcissism.pdf

Well, here is it for me as for the general Western Narcissism as for knowledge as such.
The short dirty version of Western culture reduced down to a one facotor explaination is the wordship of reason as it branches out for words like knowledge, logic, rationality, evidence, true, real and so on.
But as a person it that culture I am a card caring member of the last group of casteless, because I am cracy. Or all those other words for which I am wrong in effect.

And the joke of that, is that you do that too. You want to explain the world as in effect logical. But the joke about me, is that I just do the falcifiaction of all the versions of the idea that the universe must make postive sense as such and answer no!!!
You see, I had to learn to have a life as such as me, that I am a negative to a lot of people, but that is in them, but they don't notice that, because they are rational. The joke about that, is that there is no objective evidence for that and it is not real as it is all in their mind.

Regards

TLK Valentine

Read the books that others would burn.
Just clarifying... You are saying they don't use philosophy?

Of course they do - Naturalism is the philosophy that is the foundation of scientific thought and work; there wouldn't be much reason to do science without it.

Where did you get that idea... Is it your own?

Oh, like most good ideas, it's a little bit of this and that -- a bit of Joseph Campbell, a dash of John Shelby Spong, mix in some Carl Sagan...

What do you think?

Get an accurate definition of Christian first, then go to work.

detective-500x472.jpg

"Christian" - a person who believes that the man commonly known as "Jesus of Nazareth" was, in fact, the Son of God, come to Earth to reconcile humanity with the divine through repentance and forgiveness of sin.

I wish the definition was "one who seeks to emulate the moral and social philosophy of Jesus of Nazareth," but, as the prophets Jagger and Richards so melodically put it, "You can't always get what you want."

A place for everything, and everything in its place.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Please show me where I claimed I provided the science in support of a god belief.
Why? You're not interested in a good-faith discussion to resolve our differences, just in perpetuating quibbling. Until you do, the matter is settled for me. This discussion ended for me when you claimed that you had already provided what was asked of you and declined to provide it again.

The purpose of posting what I thought your correct answer was and giving you a chance to falsify it if you could was to bring the discussion to a resolution. You didn't, presumably because you couldn't, and I suspect that you've chosen this gaslighting tack because you've painted yourself into a corner and feel a need to deflect. That's not necessary.
You don't know what's happening in each person's heart mind and life experiences.
I don't need to know more than I do to understand that phenomenon. The spiritual experience is common in human beings, and it commonly conjures up notions of gods. All imparted wisdom results from those whose experiences taught them something unknown to others still.
Easy for an arrogant to person to assume.
I've gotten that before. I agree that I am extremely self-confident. Arrogant means that that self-opinion isn't deserved. How would you know either way? My confidence is based in results. To make my case, I'd need to be more immodest than usual. I'd need to list accomplishments, which are pretty meaningless in a medium where people are free to improvise there. My credentials here are my arguments. If you want to take me down a peg, falsify some of them. If you can't, maybe you are confusing justified self-confidence with arrogance. I understand that it can be off-putting either way. Sorry, but my mother taught me that I could do anything, and she's been right so far.
Ironic because you seem to be completely closed-minded. Double-standard.
You must use a different definition of open- and closed-mindedness than I do. You seem to mean a letting down of the critical thinking shield to let insufficiently supported claims enter one's collection of beliefs about reality. My mind is closed to those kinds of ideas, but that is not what closed-mindedness means. I will consider any argument dispassionately and am receptive to compelling, evidenced argument. That defines open-mindedness as I use the term.
Assumming something is true, unless it's proven false is a religious mindset.
Assuming provisionally that an idea is correct based in evidence is the empirical mindset. It's why agnostic atheists live as if there is no god. It's how peer review in science proceeds as well as courtroom dialectic - the last plausible, unfalsified idea that unifies the relevant evidence is treated as correct unless falsified.
this [the red-green sock test] only works if a person claims to be literally "seeing".
No, it works for any sense.

Have you seen the debate over whether people are hearing the word Laurel or Yanni in an audio clip? Some hear Laurel, some hear Yanni, and each thinks the other is nuts or lying. Take a listen below. All I hear is Laurel, not Yanni. So how can I decide if I'm being pranked? With the sock test, audio version. Play the clip for multiple independent auditors unaware of the controversy and the options. If they all hear Laurel, you're being pranked by those who say they hear Yanni, but if there are several of each, then this is a bona fide auditory illusion:

A religious vision is like a dream. They aren't going to be identical one person to the next by defintion.
That's a good reason to believe that they are creations of the mind.
Since you weren't raised religious, and seem not to have ever rec'd any real religious education, and you only had some fun trying on Christianity in the military. It's probaby good to accept your ignorance on these matters.
Religious education? What's that? Learning the Bible? I've read it multiple times? Sunday school? I took classes with names like "Hebrews" (I remember the grey, hard-covered text).

I have knowledge of your religion as well. I have been bar mitzvah 'ed. L earned to read (but not understand) Hebrew. I can remember the first two words of my haftorah - "anoche, anoche" I lived in a kosher home that celebrated holidays with seders and menorahs. I remember the Hannukah prayer - baruch atta adonoi elohanu melech ho'olom asher kidashanu b'mitzvosav vitzivanu l'hadleek ne'er shell Hannukah.

But what does any of that matter? This is psychology. I understand people very well and have a keen interest. It's a principle reason I'm here.

Incidentally, I have kept a running list over the years of the many ways believer have tried to disqualify the opinions of skeptics, and have added yours. Here are some more:

[52] Your ignorance of the Bible, its laws and customs and what applies to Christians today is embarrassing. You should be red faced for making this comment in public.

[53] You have no biblical expertise, your word on the Bible is strictly a layman's opinion.

[54] You want to convince me you have knowledge of the Bible. 1) Provide 5 examples of slave liberation in the Old Testament. 2) King Saul was merciful to the merciless and subsequently merciless to the merciful. Explain.

[55] You are a heretic with little if any understanding of Scripture. If you did study the Bible it was in a Laurel and Hardy College in Tijuana

[56] Like I say there are no errors in the bible only skeptics that can't read and comprehend.

[57] You're a Biblical ignoramus.

[58] You need Jehovah’s approval to understand His word.

[59] Please don't say, 'how can I trust it? The Bible contradicts itself'. That will only be evidence to me that you don't understand what it's ancient writers meant, and don't want to.

[60] I guess the issue here is, one of us has studied the original languages of the Bible, and has a degree in biblical studies and religion.
Medical Narcissism
I see that you've changed your position on interpreting what goes on in other minds. How about trying to refute my claims rather than just reject them out of hand with an ad hominem? Falsify (explain why I must be wrong) my interpretation of the claims of others about sensing gods if you can, or justify the basis of your rejection of it if you can't.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Oh, like most good ideas, it's a little bit of this and that -- a bit of Joseph Campbell, a dash of John Shelby Spong, mix in some Carl Sagan...

What do you think?
I know research takes time and effort, but I think that's better than being lazy, since laziness doesn't allow for much gain.
Most people seem happy with the superficial, or not so accurate.
Hopefully you are not like that.

"Christian" - a person who believes that the man commonly known as "Jesus of Nazareth" was, in fact, the Son of God, come to Earth to reconcile humanity with the divine through repentance and forgiveness of sin.

I wish the definition was "one who seeks to emulate the moral and social philosophy of Jesus of Nazareth," but, as the prophets Jagger and Richards so melodically put it, "You can't always get what you want."
That's why I prefer research - putting in the effort.
Understandably, researching certain topics can lead you down a road that has so many paths, you don't know which to take, because there are many people with varying ideas or who are themselves superficial, giving information on a subject.
For example, google 'What is a Christian'', and you get...
Christian
  1. relating to or professing Christianity or its teachings:
  2. a person who has received Christian baptism or is a believer in Christianity
Christian
1a:
one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ
(2):
a member of one of the Churches of Christ separating from the Disciples of Christ in 1906​
(3):
a member of the Christian denomination having part in the union of the United Church of Christ concluded in 1961​
etc.

According to this website... BBC it says...
John Flanner says, I used to think a Christian was someone who was born in England, been christened as a baby and did nobody any harm. And that's how I tried to live my life.

Christians are people who follow or adhere to Christianity, a monotheistic Abrahamic religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus Christ.

Definition
A wide range of beliefs and practices are found across the world among those who call themselves Christian. Denominations and sects disagree on a common definition of "Christianity"

So, in a case like that, what does one do?
Digging to the root, would take effort, but for me, would be the best thing to do.
So, I tried searching "Original meaning of Christian".
Sigh This world is lost :(

I guess you'll have to find the true Christians, to get the accurate definition. :D
I'd start with the first century.
(Acts 11:26) . . .it was first in Antioch that the disciples were by divine providence called Christians. . .
Some claim that the name Christian was pinned on Jesus followers, possibly in a derogatory or dismissive way by outsiders. However, it is believed that this suggestion is not correct, as explained here.

We can't always get what we want, but with a little effort, we may be surprised to learn that the truth is quite different from what we may be taught.

A place for everything, and everything in its place.
True.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Why? You're not interested in a good-faith discussion to resolve our differences, just in perpetuating quibbling. Until you do, the matter is settled for me. This discussion ended for me when you claimed that you had already provided what was asked of you and declined to provide it again.

The purpose of posting what I thought your correct answer was and giving you a chance to falsify it if you could was to bring the discussion to a resolution. You didn't, presumably because you couldn't, and I suspect that you've chosen this gaslighting tack because you've painted yourself into a corner and feel a need to deflect. That's not necessary.
It does not matter what you suspect.
Your personal feelings on a matter are not correct, just because you want them to be.
There is only one reason atheists have this thinking, and @dybmh has already said it, so there is no need for me to repeat it.
If the conversation has already ended, why are you still talking about it?

TLK Valentine

Read the books that others would burn.
I know research takes time and effort, but I think that's better than being lazy, since laziness doesn't allow for much gain.
Most people seem happy with the superficial, or not so accurate.
Hopefully you are not like that.

And "research" means more than simply looking in the nearest dictionary -- or on Google.

Dictionaries and search engines are useful tools, but to be used properly, they must be the first step in research - not the last.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It does not matter what you suspect.
Not to you, but it does to me and might to anybody else still following along. I'm trying to account for your choices in this discussion, which you have entered in bad faith. You apparently couldn't defend your claim that you had posted something nobody can find, but rather than say so, first you said it was there and others needed to find it, and then you wanted to be shown where you had said it. OK, that's fine, you're a Christian apologist defending his/her faith from skeptics and find yourself in an unpleasant situation because deflection accomplished nothing. In retrospect, perhaps it seems that intellectual honesty would have been a better choice. Nobody's going to criticize you for saying that you have no science to back up your god belief. Critical thinkers will tell you that that is not enough for them to believe, but they don't care that you believe by faith.

The times when I do object is when the apologist represents that he/she does have the evidence or has based an opinion in evidence that doesn't support it, or claims to be using reason or logic correctly when they do not. Then, many of us will get involved to correct that. But don't go there - just say some form of, "I believe because I choose to," and as I said, I can't imagine anybody minding or objecting.
Your personal feelings on a matter are not correct, just because you want them to be.
True. Nor are they incorrect just because you don't want them to be. So how can I decide if my best guess is correct or not? We can look at how you responded. You didn't try to rebut my suggestion. In dialectic, the last plausible unrebutted claim tentatively prevails until and unless it is successfully falsified. That's how peer review works. That's how a courtroom trial works. A debate continues until one scientist or attorney makes an argument that is not refuted, and the community of scientific peers or the jury then vote accordingly. You effectively put up a no contest defense, and now want to tell the jury that they shouldn't make anything of that.
There is only one reason atheists have this thinking
I explained why I am posting like this. I only ask for the apologist to post in good faith. Be honest about what you have and what motivates you. You can. You can be that person, driving in the faith lane without the blowback you receive driving in the reason and evidence lane. You respect your faith. I respect critical thought.
If the conversation has already ended, why are you still talking about it?
The conversation can go on as long as we both want, but the issue of you claiming to have posted your science somewhere in this thread was resolved for me days ago. You claim was rejected, and we're no longer arguing about whether such a post exists. Our discussion has evolved into why that happened, which can be an interesting discussion as well for each of us. I think I made a good and constructive suggestion about conducting apologetics in a mixed audience like this containing many critical thinkers. What works among believers doesn't work in this milieu, and as you might have discovered, can be counterproductive.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I don't need to know more than I do to understand that phenomenon. The spiritual experience is common in human beings, and it commonly conjures up notions of gods. All imparted wisdom results from those whose experiences taught them something unknown to others still.

Oh? That's not true, Dr. You need patient history, you need to know the patient's social context and background to evaluate and understand any psychological or psychiatric phenomena. Without that, unless a person took a substance, or had some sort of injury, both of which are observable, you don't know anything about the causes for "notions" or "wisdoms" or any spontaneous internal experience.

Assuming provisionally that an idea is correct based in evidence is the empirical mindset. It's why agnostic atheists live as if there is no god. It's how peer review in science proceeds as well as courtroom dialectic - the last plausible, unfalsified idea that unifies the relevant evidence is treated as correct unless falsified.

No. You are not a witness to another person's internal experiences. You would be dismissed from a courtroom immediately.

No, it works for any sense.

Have you seen the debate over whether people are hearing...

You're not listening, Dr. A religious expereince is not like looking at socks, or hearing a recording. These are invalid tests. I said it is like a dream. Everyone dreams differently.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You need patient history, you need to know the patient's social context and background to evaluate and understand any psychological or psychiatric phenomena.
I have all the information I need to make such judgments. When people tell me that they have directly experienced a god, I convert that to they are experiencing their minds and misunderstanding the experience. The only alternative is that they are correct, and I gave you the argument against that, which you dismissed as irrelevant to sensing gods.
No. You are not a witness to another person's internal experiences. You would be dismissed from a courtroom immediately.
I don't claim to be a witness to their inner life, but I am a witness to their words, which are a reflection of that, and I am a witness to my own inner life. Since other people are made of the same materials I am arranged in essentially the same way to create a nervous system, I can assume that much of what is true for me is true for them.

When I see somebody laugh, I recognize the behavior and remember what it feels like when I laugh, and project the experience of feeling humor onto them. When they ooh and ah at a sunset, I'm pretty sure that they are having an experience I and most people are familiar with.

It's not reading the mind of another directly, but it's been a reliable assumption that when people look angry, assume that they feel anger. And now, when they tell me that they sense a god, I assume that they are having a spiritual experience but misinterpreting it.

Man has a long history of mistaking his own mind for received information. The ancient Greeks did this with the muses. They didn't have a concept for the mind being creative. Creative inspiration was not understood as a product of the mind, but rather, as a received message from a creative muse whispering silently into one's brain.

Likewise with internal moral conflicts, which are often depicted as a devil and an angel sitting on one's shoulder and arguing through one's ears, something once believed literally more than it is today.
A religious expereince is not like looking at socks, or hearing a recording. These are invalid tests. I said it is like a dream. Everyone dreams differently.
Likewise with dreams, who most understand these days to be products of their own minds, but others mistake as significant messages being delivered to them. This is the same, except that unlike with creativity, dreams, and conscience, many have not discovered that their apprehensions that they call God or spirits are also endogenous psychological states. If that's incorrect, you ought to be able to refute it. If it's correct, you cannot.

And of course, that's the standard for belief in critical thought - the last plausible, unrebutted claim. I assume that I am correct until somebody can show me that I am not. You haven't. You just dismiss the possibility that I could know what others are experiencing because I'm not them even though you do it as well as when you brought up medical narcissism. We all do. It's why men understand men better than they understand women and vice versa. Less shared experience.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I have all the information I need to make such judgments. When people tell me that they have directly experienced a god, I convert that to they are experiencing their minds and misunderstanding the experience. The only alternative is that they are correct, and I gave you the argument against that, which you dismissed as irrelevant to sensing gods.

"When people tell me... I convert that to..." means you're changing what they're saying to fit your own desire.
"When people tell me... I convert that to... " means you aren't speaking the same language.

I don't claim to be a witness to their inner life, but I am a witness to their words, which are a reflection of that, and I am a witness to my own inner life. Since other people are made of the same materials I am arranged in essentially the same way to create a nervous system, I can assume that much of what is true for me is true for them.

That doesn't work in psychology and psychiatry. You are operating outside of your field of expertise.

When I see somebody laugh, I recognize the behavior and remember what it feels like when I laugh, and project the experience of feeling humor onto them. When they ooh and ah at a sunset, I'm pretty sure that they are having an experience I and most people are familiar with.

Your projection includes context. You are lacking context. And those are simple gestures.

It's not reading the mind of another directly, but it's been a reliable assumption that when people look angry, assume that they feel anger. And now, when they tell me that they sense a god, I assume that they are having a spiritual experience but misinterpreting it.

Gestures. The problem is when a person does not accept the correction: "I'm not angry" "I'm not sad"

"When they tell me that they sense..." your test involves the assumption that these are tactile sensations. Also it involves rationalizing your own experience.

Man has a long history of mistaking his own mind for received information. The ancient Greeks did this with the muses. They didn't have a concept for the mind being creative. Creative inspiration was not understood as a product of the mind, but rather, as a received message from a creative muse whispering silently into one's brain.

Double-standard Dr. YOU are part of that same long history. You are not actually immune to this. My evidence are the multiple times on this forum you are proven wrong but cannot admit it, and do not change your behavior to compensate. You do not adjust.

Likewise with internal moral conflicts, which are often depicted as a devil and an angel sitting on one's shoulder and arguing through one's ears, something once believed literally more than it is today.

Likewise with dreams, who most understand these days to be products of their own minds, but others mistake as significant messages being delivered to them. This is the same, except that unlike with creativity, dreams, and conscience, many have not discovered that their apprehensions that they call God or spirits are also endogenous psychological states. If that's incorrect, you ought to be able to refute it. If it's correct, you cannot.

Likewise you cannot refute that your knowledge is incomplete. You don't know what you don't know. That's fact.

And of course, that's the standard for belief in critical thought - the last plausible, unrebutted claim. I assume that I am correct until somebody can show me that I am not. You haven't. You just dismiss the possibility that I could know what others are experiencing because I'm not them even though you do it as well as when you brought up medical narcissism. We all do. It's why men understand men better than they understand women and vice versa. Less shared experience.

Then I win. You don't know what you don't know.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"When people tell me... I convert that to..." means you're changing what they're saying to fit your own desire.
I'm reinterpreting their experience based on my own. My desires aren't relevant. My experience and understanding are.
That doesn't work in psychology and psychiatry. You are operating outside of your field of expertise.
That was in response to, "I don't claim to be a witness to their inner life, but I am a witness to their words, which are a reflection of that, and I am a witness to my own inner life. Since other people are made of the same materials I am arranged in essentially the same way to create a nervous system, I can assume that much of what is true for me is true for them."

Disagree. Those are facts followed by a sound conclusion drawn from them that is supported by experience. Don't forget about all of the times when people discover that they have similar inner states based on what they say to one another when they agree on what they signify.

And that is exactly what psychologists and psychiatrists do. They listen to the words of their patients and interpret them based in their own understanding and experience. Then, they correct the patient when appropriate, helping them reinterpret their thoughts.

This is from an earlier thread:

He: "What is about the Baha'is that has you keep coming back and posting more and more"

Me: "I'm an amateur student of human psychology, and both faith-based thought and religious apologetics are endlessly fascinating phenomena to behold for me."
"When they tell me that they sense..." your test involves the assumption that these are tactile sensations.
No, it doesn't. I assume that they are having spiritual experiences, an unfortunate name for them, one others understand. These experiences have nothing to do with spirits. That's the error, - the misunderstanding.
YOU are part of that same long history. You are not actually immune to this.
Yes, I am part of that history. It's the human condition and further underscores the degree to which we are alike. I made that mistake once myself, and was fortunate enough to have the evidence and the ability to interpret it necessary to understand that I was not as you say immune to the same illusion.
My evidence are the multiple times on this forum you are proven wrong but cannot admit it, and do not change your behavior to compensate. You do not adjust.
You've never demonstrated any error from me. You've disagreed with me, but that's it. You've never falsified anything I wrote, and you won't falsify this, either, which would be easy to do with a link to an example of that if you were correct.
you cannot refute that your knowledge is incomplete.
I agree that it is incomplete, but not that that is relevant here.

This is a good example of the believer trying to support soft thinking by treating all thought as equally soft. It's all relative, right? Nobody can know anything if they don't know everything. We see it often from those with faith-based beliefs arguing with critical thinkers. I just commented on it earlier today elsewhere:

He: "The contradictory claim that words have both an infinite number of meanings and that words have a single fixed meaning doesn't make any sense to me. This example is one of many contradictions that are often presented in the same post or group of posts. How would you reconcile or address that sort of thinking? It seems like the same sort of "all over the place" claims of creationists"

Me: "I've suggested that thinkers with ideas that are rejected by mainstream academia have a motive to attempt to undermine standards for knowledge and the authority of experts. And so, they introduce confusion and uncertainty where there is little or none. Everything's subjective, and nothing you think you know is really known - a sort of epistemological relativism (or nihilism in the extreme forms)."
You don't know what you don't know. That's fact.
Correct. I also know what I do know, which is more relevant.
Then I win.
This is your second reference to prevailing in debate. You also claimed to have disproven ideas of mine. What you call winning is what I call flailing and congratulating yourself. Why is this so emotional for you? Look at how different your mood and demeanor are from mine. You're emotional and see debate as competition. The winner is the one who learns.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I'm reinterpreting their experience based on my own. My desires aren't relevant. My experience and understanding are.

Sample size of 1.

That was in response to, "I don't claim to be a witness to their inner life, but I am a witness to their words, which are a reflection of that, and I am a witness to my own inner life. Since other people are made of the same materials I am arranged in essentially the same way to create a nervous system, I can assume that much of what is true for me is true for them."

That only works when studying materials.

Disagree. Those are facts followed by a sound conclusion drawn from them that is supported by experience. Don't forget about all of the times when people discover that they have similar inner states based on what they say to one another when they agree on what they signify.

Supported by a sample size of 1. 1 person's experience.

And that is exactly what psychologists and psychiatrists do. They listen to the words of their patients and interpret them based in their own understanding and experience. Then, they correct the patient when appropriate, helping them reinterpret their thoughts.

No. They interpret based on the patient's thoughts and the patient's context.

This is from an earlier thread:

He: "What is about the Baha'is that has you keep coming back and posting more and more"

Me: "I'm an amateur student of human psychology, and both faith-based thought and religious apologetics are endlessly fascinating phenomena to behold for me."

And so what?

No, it doesn't. I assume that they are having spiritual experiences, an unfortunate name for them, one others understand. These experiences have nothing to do with spirits. That's the error, - the misunderstanding.

Or you are not speaking the same language. And spirit means something different to you than to them.

Yes, I am part of that history. It's the human condition and further underscores the degree to which we are alike. I made that mistake once myself, and was fortunate enough to have the evidence and the ability to interpret it necessary to understand that I was not as you say immune to the same illusion.

Your experience. Sample size of 1.

You've never demonstrated any error from me. You've disagreed with me, but that's it. You've never falsified anything I wrote, and you won't falsify this, either, which would be easy to do with a link to an example of that if you were correct.

You aren't listening Dr. You don't seem to be aware of what I've said. This seems to be a pattern. People say things, and you convert it to something which matches your predesired outcome.

I agree that it is incomplete, but not that that is relevant here.

It is when you project your certainty inspite of your lack of knowledge. The only way to make conclusions on a sample size of 1, is to heavily weight that 1 sample as if it is representative of everyone.

This is a good example of the believer trying to support soft thinking by treating all thought as equally soft. It's all relative, right? Nobody can know anything if they don't know everything. We see it often from those with faith-based beliefs arguing with critical thinkers. I just commented on it earlier today elsewhere:

I am only talking about 1 person. I am basing that on this 1 person's actual words which they are typing, right here, right now, in full view of the public.

Correct. I also know what I do know, which is more relevant.

We've played this game before. And other's have too. Each and everytime you fail. But that doesn't ever produce a change, or an adjustment on your end. One who cannot learn and adjust, cannot be a critical thinker.

Please explain why I believe in God. Tell me what you know about my life and my context. Please tell me about my direct experiences with God. What were they like. How many have there been.

This is your second reference to prevailing in debate. You also claimed to have disproven ideas of mine. What you call winning is what I call flailing and congratulating yourself. Why is this so emotional for you? Look at how different your mood and demeanor are from mine. You're emotional and see debate as competition. The winner is the one who learns.

I'm not emotional. It's easy to stay cool when you're right. You challenged me to refute your argument. Your argument is, "I know what's happening with everyone's spiritual experiences because I know myself." But you don't know what you don't know. If you admit that you don't know what's happening in other people's minds and in their life expereinces, and you know that you need to convert their words to make them understandable to you. Those are additional to all the other things you don't know.

You don't know a lot. So why are you acting like you know so much again? What are your credentials?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sample size of 1.
You mean for direct access to a mind. That's the human (and others) condition. We have indirect access to many more of those minds, but can only see one directly and immediately.
That only works when studying materials.
I am. The universe is physical. So is the human nervous system. That's what allows me to extrapolate experience. You probably know the other minds problem. We can't know that anybody else has a mind, but we assume that they do because they are made of what we are made of and were made the same way, and they behave like we do, so we consider them conscious and their palette of conscious experience similar to our own - thoughts, memories, feelings, desires, sensation of the environment and body, etc..
No. They interpret based on the patient's thoughts and the patient's context.
Why write, "No"? That's not a contradiction. Yes, they subject the patient's words to their own understanding of how minds work just like I am doing.
Or you are not speaking the same language. And spirit means something different to you than to them.
Yes, and that's another example of people misunderstanding their inner state.
You aren't listening Dr. You don't seem to be aware of what I've said. This seems to be a pattern. People say things, and you convert it to something which matches your predesired outcome.
I'm aware of what you've said. I'm just not convinced by it. And yes, I interpret your words according to my understanding of how the world works.
It is when you project your certainty
Not certainty. Tentative conclusion commensurate to the quality and quantity of relevant evidence available and amenable to revision pending new relevant evidence.
Each and everytime you fail. But that doesn't ever produce a change, or an adjustment on your end. One who cannot learn and adjust, cannot be a critical thinker.
You claim that often, but when asked to support your claim, you don't. You give me no reason to modify my belief set, which isn't affected by insufficiently supported claims. You'll need more to change a critical thinker's mind. You probably already know that. If so, what's your beef? You haven't produced a convincing argument yet that this way of thinking isn't valid, nor attempted to rebut mine that it is. You just don't like it. You don't like being told that I don't believe you've ever experienced a god. I understand that, but it's a choice to be personally offended.
Please explain why I believe in God.
It's comforting for you to understand spiritual experiences in terms of spirits.
Tell me what you know about my life and my context.
You're made of organic matter that evolved from a single cell into a mature man, who has walked the land in the 20th and 21st centuries accumulating experience and a belief set. This led to theistic Judaism for you, which must meet some psychological need - probably some combination of a sense of community (tradition, common culture and belief set) and an intuition that you have experienced a god.
Please tell me about my direct experiences with God. What were they like. How many have there been.
I don't know how many times you believe you experienced a god, but I've already told you what the so-called spiritual experience feels like. It's a pleasant to euphoric sense of connection and belonging associated with various degrees of awe, gratitude, and a sense of mystery. Many people consider this the detection of the presence of another being, but I say that it is an experience manufactured by the mind like a dream.
You challenged me to refute your argument. Your argument is, "I know what's happening with everyone's spiritual experiences because I know myself."
Not exactly, but that's close enough. Do you think you refuted that? You rejected it, but you didn't try to explain why it's wrong. I think it's correct for the reason already given - my personal experience making that mistake, the commonality of human beings and their nervous systems, the disparity in the reports of those claiming to experience a god, the number of former believers who agree that they once "experienced God," and the history of mankind repeatedly making similar mistakes regarding other creations of the mind misunderstood as received messages from conscious external agents separate from the self. And if no god exists, which is very possible, I am definitely correct.

Where's your rebuttal of that? What I've seen is that you consider me arrogant and narcissistic for extrapolating my experience onto others, something we all do and usually effectively. It's the basis for the Golden Rule - the assumption that if you don't like being treated a certain way, others (and their analogous nervous systems) won't either.
If you admit that you don't know what's happening in other people's minds and in their life expereinces
I have a high degree of certainty that nobody is sensing a god for the reasons given. You've given me no reason to think I'm incorrect. How about you admitting that I could be right?
you need to convert their words to make them understandable to you.
I understand their words. They're just not the words I would use to describe the same experience.
What are your credentials?
With other RF habitués, our credentials are our words - the quality of our comments. For myself, it includes prior accomplishments that affirm that I think well. You wonder about my self-confidence. It was in place before I finished high school, which I did two years more quickly than others (graduated age 15 with an 800 on my math SAT) followed by a lifetime of other affirmations that I think well. One I'm proud of is being fired from a moonlighting gig on a mobile medical unit that made house calls because the average charge I rung up was too low. Not enough diagnostic tests like bloodwork and X-rays. When I told them that I ordered what I needed, their arguments were like yours. How can you know what's going on in the lungs if you don't look? Well, I can to a high degree of certainty and apparently at low risk to patients, since they did well. Those kinds of successes are my credentials for myself.

Since modesty isn't appropriate when asked about credentials, did I mention that I took an introductory bridge course in 2012 and by 2016 was teaching bridge? In 2018, we made videos that are on the Internet now. So yeah, I have a lot of good reasons to trust my judgment. Thanks for asking:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
You mean for direct access to a mind. That's the human (and others) condition. We have indirect access to many more of those minds, but can only see one directly and immediately.

I mean that you have a sample size of 1 and are weighting it to the point of converting data to match it. Instead of weighting the rest of the samples equally and not converting. You're confusing / equivocating continuity with sameness.

I am. The universe is physical. So is the human nervous system. That's what allows me to extrapolate experience. You probably know the other minds problem. We can't know that anybody else has a mind, but we assume that they do because they are made of what we are made of and were made the same way, and they behave like we do, so we consider them conscious and their palette of conscious experience similar to our own - thoughts, memories, feelings, desires, sensation of the environment and body, etc..

No, you are converting subjective internal immaterial experiences into physical experiences, because you do not / cannot understand those experiences any other way. You are pretending or deluding yourself that the word "vision" can only mean 1 thing: Waves in electromagnetic field which are detected by the retina. You are pretending or deluding yourself that "hearing" can only mean one thing: compressed air waves which are detected by the ear drum.

Why write, "No"? That's not a contradiction. Yes, they subject the patient's words to their own understanding of how minds work just like I am doing.

If you do not have details of a person's context it is impossible to understand their experience. It requires humility and releasing oneself of their mindset and adopting the other person's mindset. See below. I attached the PDF source. It's only 13 pages. Emphasis mine.

Rick Reinkraut

EdD, Harvard University
CAGS, Harvard University
PhD, University of Connecticut
MA, University of Connecticut
BA, Rutgers College
To understand another, in a contextually meaningful way, is a challenge to one's capacity for​
empathic resonance and a decentering from one's own embeddedness in the service of​
stepping into another's shoes with the goal of increasingly greater affective and conceptual​
understanding of the experience of another. Chi-Ying Chung and Bemak (2002) commented,​
in this regard, that ".... therapeutic empathy must take into account the cultural context so​
that the same problem presented in two distinct cultures would warrant different, culturally​
specific responses" (p. 156). The way experience is experienced is dependent upon the​
culture that bounds and inspires the reality tales that inform and form the framing of what is​
involved and expected in being a person. Christopher (1996) discussed what he calls 'moral​
visions'. He maintained that we are each embedded in moral visions.​
This leads to the recognition that we each find ourselves in relation to hermeneutic circles​
which deepen and expand in varied realms of meaning and understanding. How I regard an​
event at 20 years old versus how I regard it at 60 will in no small measure be affected by the​
way in which that event is placed in a narrative context that reflects my view of experience​
from a particular vantage point. The relationship of the part to the whole reflects the​
emergent dialectic of the hermeneutic circle of my life. In this way we each are continuous​
with the person whom we have been and will become. That continuity, however, is not
necessarily reflected in a sameness in the way events are regarded and given meaning at
varied temporal points in one's life journey.
A challenge for a therapist is achieving a receptivity in relation to the client that diminishes
the assumptions made about the client and increases the curiosity one has for the client:
assume nothing, be curious about everything. This is at once impossible and crucial. It is​
impossible because, in addition to our personal lived experiences, we come to the work of​
therapy with training experiences that are rooted in research, theory, and practice, each and​
all of which lead us to draw conclusions about what helps and what hurts others. It is crucial​
because then the client does not become just 'another client' but remains figural as a unique​
person. Saying with humility and genuine interest to a client in the initial session "I would​
appreciate hearing anything that you are willing to tell me that you believe would be helpful​
for me to know" communicates a number of messages. It says that the client owns the​
prerogative regarding disclosing information about her or himself. It says that I am interested​
in knowing about the client. It says that I want to be helpful. It is an invitation extended, not a​
demand made.​

Yes, and that's another example of people misunderstanding their inner state.

If you are not speaking the same language, then it is impossible to diagnosis anything psychologial without a translator.

I'm aware of what you've said. I'm just not convinced by it. And yes, I interpret your words according to my understanding of how the world works.

That is admitting that you are not listening to me. You are listening to yourself. In a previous thread, I indicated this to you. You are arguing with yourself.

Not certainty. Tentative conclusion commensurate to the quality and quantity of relevant evidence available and amenable to revision pending new relevant evidence.

The quantity is 1. The quality is grossly exaggerated. You have admitted that you did not accurately interpret your own experience. But that is ignored.

Let's play a game:

In my 20's I felt exactly how you're feeling right now. I said the same things in exactly the same way. What you're saying right now is a carbon copy of what I was going through. Luckily I realized that I had a god-complex. I misunderstood my own intellegnce and insight the same way you are doing now. In the past 30 years I've met so many people who talk just like you and act just like you. And it's not just me, other people notice it too, the god-complex, the self-deification, it's like a drug, its addicting, but its free and accesible anytime anywhere. It's very difficult for a person to escape it. Sometimes even talking about it directly reinforces the delusion. But I know for certain what I went through. And it's exactly what you're going through. You must have a god-complex, you just don't realize it. The antidote, believe it or not, is belief in God. That's what you need.

Now refute it.

It's exactly the same argument you're making, but your "god-belief" which is supposed to be antidote to the mistake everyone is making is so-called "critical-thinking". The reason I say so-called, is because the criticism is not actually applied.

You claim that often, but when asked to support your claim, you don't. You give me no reason to modify my belief set, which isn't affected by insufficiently supported claims. You'll need more to change a critical thinker's mind. You probably already know that. If so, what's your beef? You haven't produced a convincing argument yet that this way of thinking isn't valid, nor attempted to rebut mine that it is. You just don't like it. You don't like being told that I don't believe you've ever experienced a god. I understand that, but it's a choice to be personally offended.

The first thing is, you don't actually listen to what I say. That means that you don't know what I'm claiming, and you don't know what is supporting it. You don't know the refutations to your own arguments. You have put yourself in isolation.

Lets see if you can accurately answer the questions about me. You've always failed before. The fact that you still think you can magically, telepathically, know me, is proof that you have not learned, cannot adjust, and are therefore not a critical thinker.

It's comforting for you to understand spiritual experiences in terms of spirits.

False. Wow. Your ignorance is off the charts. I don't believe in spirits at all. Whiskey's OK though.

This doesn't phase you at all does it? You have decided that spiritual=spirits and nothing is going to convince you otherwise. It's no different than someone who has decided atheist=evil and cannot be convinced otherwise.

You're made of organic matter that evolved from a single cell into a mature man, who has walked the land in the 20th and 21st centuries accumulating experience and a belief set. This led to theistic Judaism for you, which must meet some psychological need - probably some combination of a sense of community (tradition, common culture and belief set) and an intuition that you have experienced a god.

Well the biology is obviously correct. But that describes everyone. And yes I live in the modern era. I experienced experiences? Wow. You're like reading my mind, Dr.

"And that led to theistic Judaism." No. That's false. All of that leads away from theistic Judaism.

"which must meet some psychological need - probably some combination of a sense of community (tradition, common culture and belief set)" LOL. No. Not even close.

"an intuition that you have experienced a god". Nope.

Although I predict that you will not believe me because it meets some psychological need for you. See how that cuts both ways?

Attachments

• Context content and reflexivity.pdf
    124.4 KB · Views: 86

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I don't know how many times you believe you experienced a god, but I've already told you what the so-called spiritual experience feels like. It's a pleasant to euphoric sense of connection and belonging associated with various degrees of awe, gratitude, and a sense of mystery. Many people consider this the detection of the presence of another being, but I say that it is an experience manufactured by the mind like a dream.

That doesn't describe my experience at all. That sounds like weed. Minus the paranoia. Based on your age, and the grateful-dead-bear avatar, it's a safe bet you know what I'm saying is true.

Not exactly, but that's close enough. Do you think you refuted that? You rejected it, but you didn't try to explain why it's wrong. I think it's correct for the reason already given - my personal experience making that mistake, the commonality of human beings and their nervous systems, the disparity in the reports of those claiming to experience a god, the number of former believers who agree that they once "experienced God," and the history of mankind repeatedly making similar mistakes regarding other creations of the mind misunderstood as received messages from conscious external agents separate from the self. And if no god exists, which is very possible, I am definitely correct.

I did refute it, but I did it briefly. Thank you for laying out your points and I will either refute them or show they are weak. Since you're claiming certainty, the weakness of the argument is refutation. And that ignores that I proved you don't know "everyone's" experience because you don't know a single thing about mine.

• my personal experience making that mistake,
    • Sample size of 1, this is a very weak argument
  • the commonality of human beings and their nervous systems
    • the same psycholgical phenomena can have many different causes, this is a very weak argument
  • , the disparity in the reports of those claiming to experience a god
    • supports a god experience does not undermine it, invalid arguement
  • , the number of former believers who agree that they once "experienced God,"
    • supports and does not undermine, invalid argument
  • and the history of mankind repeatedly making similar mistakes
    • they weren't mistakes they were progress, invalid argument
    • your criticism seems to be with cartoon versions of gods and spirits, it's a strawman
    • then you project that cartoon version onto others
    • if it feels good to reaffirm superiority then it feels good to project inferiority on others - highly plausible alterantive
  • regarding other creations of the mind
    • those can be diagnosed by trained professionals - weak argument
    • you are not one of those people
    • you seem to be woefully inadaquate for that sort of work
  • And if no god exists, which is very possible, I am definitely correct.
    • And if not, you're definitely incorrect - weak argument
So you have made 7 arguments. 2 are completely invalid. 5 are weak.

I said your claim was: "I know what's happening with everyone's spiritual experiences because I know myself."
You said: "Not exactly but close enough"

You made 5 weak arguments, and I proved you don't know everyone's experiences because everything you said about me and my experiences was false.

That's a refutation. You've made nothing but weak arguments, and I provided a strong valid counter example.

If you claim, I don't know my own experiences and you know them better than me, you still lose, because I can say the same thing about you and your experiences.

Thats it. The debate is over.

Where's your rebuttal of that? What I've seen is that you consider me arrogant and narcissistic for extrapolating my experience onto others, something we all do and usually effectively. It's the basis for the Golden Rule - the assumption that if you don't like being treated a certain way, others (and their analogous nervous systems) won't either.

First of all, I deny the golden rule. I started a thread about it. What I go by someone called the platinum rule. Someone else said it didn't have a name. Anyway, "we all do it" is not a logical argument. There are circumstances when what you're describing is appropriate and this is not one of them. And there are factors which diminsh the accuracy of the assumptions. You seem to be ignoring those.

I have a high degree of certainty that nobody is sensing a god for the reasons given. You've given me no reason to think I'm incorrect. How about you admitting that I could be right?

No. The high-degree of certainty is a delusion.

I understand their words. They're just not the words I would use to describe the same experience.

Good. You are on your way to accepting that different people have different experiences.

With other RF habitués, our credentials are our words - the quality of our comments. For myself, it includes prior accomplishments that affirm that I think well. You wonder about my self-confidence. It was in place before I finished high school, which I did two years more quickly than others (graduated age 15 with an 800 on my math SAT)

But this has a negative effect too. Did you know that? And you're far from alone on this. Some of the most brilliant minds are religious people. I myself scored off the charts on standardized test scores. The local newspaper came and interviewed my family. All three of us, my sister, brother, and me, all of us scored very high. Mine was the highest, and the school called the newspaper, I guess.

followed by a lifetime of other affirmations that I think well. One I'm proud of is being fired from a moonlighting gig on a mobile medical unit that made house calls because the average charge I rung up was too low. Not enough diagnostic tests like bloodwork and X-rays.

The same thing happens to a lot of people. I had an experience like this, and my father in law had an experienc like this.

When I told them that I ordered what I needed, their arguments were like yours. How can you know what's going on in the lungs if you don't look? Well, I can to a high degree of certainty and apparently at low risk to patients, since they did well. Those kinds of successes are my credentials for myself.

They are successes in a specific context, and, you may not know the whole story about these patients. Just like you don't know the whole story about me, or anyone you are judging. You fill in the blanks to gaurentee that you perceive yourself in a specific way. And you forcefully reject new information which is opposed to that. That's a delusion. Not a dangerous delusion. Just, ya know, something about you.

And, it's not your fault. Not entirely. As I posted earlier in the thread, Medical School and practicing medicine reinforces this. It's no different than being perscribed opiates.

Since modesty isn't appropriate when asked about credentials, did I mention that I took an introductory bridge course in 2012 and by 2016 was teaching bridge? In 2018, we made videos that are on the Internet now. So yeah, I have a lot of good reasons to trust my judgment. Thanks for asking:

I'm aware. You are a Dr. and you are a successful bridge player. But that doesn't make a person capable of: "knowing what's happening with everyone's spiritual experiences because you know yourself."

And, if you were a marijuana smoker/user, before, during, or after your experimentation with Christianty, that has an impact on your undertanding of what you were experiencing. It would be incorrect to project a substance based experience on those who don't or haven't used drugs.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I mean that you have a sample size of 1 and are weighting it to the point of converting data to match it. Instead of weighting the rest of the samples equally and not converting.
What does that mean? Giving the thoughts of others the same credence I do my own and just averaging them out to determine what is true about the world? And what data do you imagine I'm converting? Somebody tells me that they experience a god, and I don't accept their interpretation of their experience for the reasons given just as I might reject somebody's explanation of how a lucky rabbit's foot helped them win the lottery or a god saved them from dying.
you are converting subjective internal immaterial experiences into physical experiences, because you do not / cannot understand those experiences any other way.
They are physical experiences as is all experience. The nervous system is physical as is the rest of reality that impacts it. Everything that exists does so physically. Everything that exists - is real and thus a part of reality - is an aspect of nature, which is physical, meaning it comprises energy, matter, and force moving and evolving in space over time.

These other ways of knowing to which you allude are sterile. They generate figments of imagination with no real correlate outside of consciousness, yet they are believed by many anyway - people who don't require empiric confirmation before believing. These people hold both false and unfalsifiable beliefs - two categories of worthless (or worse) ideas. They believe that things that are indistinguishable from the nonexistent exist for their failure to manifest interacting with reality in any time or place.

But such people want to be believed, and so they invent things like gods and the supernatural that they say are exempt from all of this. They'll tell us that these things exist despite them not being able to any of the things that real things can do with special pleading and just-so stores, like Sagan's invisible dragon in the garage. They do like you're doing now. I just don't have spiritual eyes or spiritual understanding. I am incapable of understanding what they understand. These claims are often accompanied by words like myopic, scientism, and materialist.
You are pretending or deluding yourself that the word "vision" can only mean 1 thing: Waves in electromagnetic field which are detected by the retina. You are pretending or deluding yourself that "hearing" can only mean one thing: compressed air waves which are detected by the ear drum
I don't know why you would think that. Did I give you the impression that when somebody says that they have experienced god that I meant through the eyes or ears? Most are only experiencing their mind's ability to produce such a mental state. It essentially the same as the experience of beauty or humor. A black-box calculation occurs in unseen neural circuits according to unseen algorithms that then pop into consciousness as an intuition to inform us of what we consider beautiful, funny, loveable, tasty, valuable, etc.. In this case, the mind tells us that something is sacred. It is, but it's nature itself, not imagined gods dwelling in or out of it.
If you do not have details of a person's context it is impossible to understand their experience.
Disagree. Some experience is nearly universal. If you tell me you were embarrassed, I know how you feel without knowing anything more about you. You say you're cold and hungry? I know what that feels like, too.
To understand another, in a contextually meaningful way, is a challenge to one's capacity forempathic resonance and a decentering from one's own embeddedness in the service ofstepping into another's shoes with the goal of increasingly greater affective and conceptual understanding of the experience of another. A challenge for a therapist is achieving a receptivity in relation to the client that diminishes the assumptions made about the client and increases the curiosity one has for the client.
This isn't psychotherapy, and it's not about empathy or feelings. It's about deciding what's true about the world and how people process information. It's about my having increased my understanding of what is called a spiritual experience, and why people gratuitously attach gods to that experience.

You seem to have forgotten my decades of experience in clinical medicine. Yet here you are lecturing me on interviewing techniques. We just had dinner last weekend with a New Agey couple we know. They're both acupuncturists and into Chinese medicine. She was discussing her patients who refuse to see physicians, which she considers a problem. I explained to her how I had had a good rapport with such reluctant patients because I'm nonjudgmental and don't try to pressure them.

Our training in medical school included a section in training us not to show judgment when interviewing. I remember the day we were asked to make lists of the slang names we knew for intercourse, defecation, menstruation, etc., because these were the words some patients use - words many of the class had never heard. I remember asking a man about swelling in his testicles. "What?" "Your gonads" "What?" "Your balls, your nuts." "Why didn't you say so in the first place?" Try not laughing at that.
That is admitting that you are not listening to me. You are listening to yourself. In a previous thread, I indicated this to you. You are arguing with yourself. The first thing is, you don't actually listen to what I say. That means that you don't know what I'm claiming, and you don't know what is supporting it.
Nope. I'm not. I'm disagreeing with you, and you are disagreeing with me.

It's pretty common for theists and other people who are not able to convince others to assume that it is because of their audience's inability to understand them, the implication being that their thoughts are irresistibly compelling when understood.
You have admitted that you did not accurately interpret your own experience. But that is ignored.
Ignored? It's the basis for my belief that others are doing the same now.
In my 20's I felt exactly how you're feeling right now. I said the same things in exactly the same way. What you're saying right now is a carbon copy of what I was going through. Luckily I realized that I had a god-complex. I misunderstood my own intellegnce and insight the same way you are doing now. In the past 30 years I've met so many people who talk just like you and act just like you. And it's not just me, other people notice it too, the god-complex, the self-deification, it's like a drug, its addicting, but its free and accesible anytime anywhere. It's very difficult for a person to escape it. Sometimes even talking about it directly reinforces the delusion. But I know for certain what I went through. And it's exactly what you're going through. You must have a god-complex, you just don't realize it. The antidote, believe it or not, is belief in God. That's what you need.

Now refute it.
Why? It's an unsupported claim. And though I don't think you are claiming it as fact, some people probably hold similar beliefs. "You must have a god-complex" is not far from what you've said about me already. I understand why you think that. Maybe you're correct. I don't think so, but I have no incentive to try to disabuse you of the notion. Should it matter to me if you are correct? What if I do have an inflated and unjustified sense of self? It's worked for 68 years and gotten me to the place in life I aspired to be and now aspire to maintain, so you can understand why I might be a little averse to unsolicited advice.

Incidentally, I've been told that God thinks he's a doctor.
Lets see if you can accurately answer the questions about me. You've always failed before.
So you keep claiming.
The fact that you still think you can magically, telepathically, know me, is proof that you have not learned, cannot adjust, and are therefore not a critical thinker.
The fact that you think I claimed to use magic or telepathy is evidence that it is YOU who is not paying attention. The fact that you think you've given me a reason to change any opinion tells me that you don't know what it takes to convince a critical thinker.
I don't believe in spirits at all.
Sure you do if you believe in disembodied minds, although you might not use that word.
You have decided that spiritual=spirits and nothing is going to convince you otherwise.
That's not a belief I hold. It's how most theists define spiritual - having to do with God, the chief spirit in the Abrahamic pantheon of gods and lesser spirits.
It's no different than someone who has decided atheist=evil and cannot be convinced otherwise.
Yes, there are people that think that way as well.
I'm aware. You are a Dr. and you are a successful bridge player. But that doesn't make a person capable of: "knowing what's happening with everyone's spiritual experiences because you know yourself."
My claim is that I don't believe that they experience gods when they claim otherwise. That doesn't come from medicine or bridge.
The high-degree of certainty is a delusion.
So you say. I say that the delusion is calling one's own mind an experience of a god. I'm pretty sure I'm correct. The evidence for it, which you haven't addressed, is compelling, and you have no counterargument - just dissent and perhaps the conviction that you have experienced a god, so I must be wrong. You assume it, which is probably why you don't feel any need to explain away any of that mountain of supporting evidence I provided earlier:

"Do you think you refuted that? You rejected it, but you didn't try to explain why it's wrong. I think it's correct for the reason already given - my personal experience making that mistake, the commonality of human beings and their nervous systems, the disparity in the reports of those claiming to experience a god, the number of former believers who agree that they once "experienced God," and the history of mankind repeatedly making similar mistakes regarding other creations of the mind misunderstood as received messages from conscious external agents separate from the self. And if no god exists, which is very possible, I am definitely correct. Where's your rebuttal of that?"

And you still haven't attempted rebuttal even after seeing that. Nor have you acknowledged seeing or understanding it. I won't ask for a rebuttal again. Once is enough. I've tentatively concluded that you have none. Absent falsification of that argument from you, I consider the issue resolved. That's how it always works with dialectic. The last plausible, unrebutted argument is considered correct, since correct ideas cannot be falsified.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
What does that mean? Giving the thoughts of others the same credence I do my own and just averaging them out to determine what is true about the world? And what data do you imagine I'm converting? Somebody tells me that they experience a god, and I don't accept their interpretation of their experience for the reasons given just as I might reject somebody's explanation of how a lucky rabbit's foot helped them win the lottery or a god saved them from dying.

It means what I said. The fact you cannot understand should be an indicator that you don't know as much as you think.

They are physical experiences as is all experience. The nervous system is physical as is the rest of reality that impacts it. Everything that exists does so physically. Everything that exists - is real and thus a part of reality - is an aspect of nature, which is physical, meaning it comprises energy, matter, and force moving and evolving in space over time.

Not true. The experience is being conveyed to you as words and ideas. You did not experience any of the physical phenomena that they experienced. But you are convinced that you did.

These other ways of knowing to which you allude are sterile. They generate figments of imagination with no real correlate outside of consciousness, yet they are believed by many anyway - people who don't require empiric confirmation before believing. These people hold both false and unfalsifiable beliefs - two categories of worthless (or worse) ideas. They believe that things that are indistinguishable from the nonexistent exist for their failure to manifest interacting with reality in any time or place.

It's ironic that you think others should have empiric confirmation. Yet you produce your own figment in your own mind and put all your faith behind it.

But such people want to be believed, and so they invent things like gods and the supernatural that they say are exempt from all of this. They'll tell us that these things exist despite them not being able to any of the things that real things can do with special pleading and just-so stores, like Sagan's invisible dragon in the garage. They do like you're doing now. I just don't have spiritual eyes or spiritual understanding. I am incapable of understanding what they understand. These claims are often accompanied by words like myopic, scientism, and materialist.

I'm not doing anything except exposing your ignorance.

I don't know why you would think that.

Because your "empirical" evidence was people seeing colors differently and hearing sounds differently.

Did I give you the impression that when somebody says that they have experienced god that I meant through the eyes or ears?

Yes. It's good to see you acknowledge that your previous "evidence" was invalid.

Disagree. Some experience is nearly universal. If you tell me you were embarrassed, I know how you feel without knowing anything more about you. You say you're cold and hungry? I know what that feels like, too.

Too simple. False equivilance. Yes you can put together a toy train set without reading the directions written in Hindi.

This isn't psychotherapy, and it's not about empathy or feelings. It's about deciding what's true about the world and how people process information. It's about my having increased my understanding of what is called a spiritual experience, and why people gratuitously attach gods to that experience.

You have been given high-level best-of-the-best academic reasons from a PHD why humility is required and projection of one's experiences on others sabatoges understanding their mental and emotional experiences. Your hand-waving it away is more evidence that you do not/cannot assimilate new information.

You seem to have forgotten my decades of experience in clinical medicine. Yet here you are lecturing me on interviewing techniques. We just had dinner last weekend with a New Agey couple we know. They're both acupuncturists and into Chinese medicine. She was discussing her patients who refuse to see physicians, which she considers a problem. I explained to her how I had had a good rapport with such reluctant patients because I'm nonjudgmental and don't try to pressure them.

So why the judgements? Perhaps the non-judgement is an act that you put on for the reluctant patient? You leaked your true opinion by calling it New-Agey. So, you put on a show for them. But you are actually very judgemental, right?

Our training in medical school included a section in training us not to show judgment when interviewing. I remember the day we were asked to make lists of the slang names we knew for intercourse, defecation, menstruation, etc., because these were the words some patients use - words many of the class had never heard. I remember asking a man about swelling in his testicles. "What?" "Your gonads" "What?" "Your balls, your nuts." "Why didn't you say so in the first place?" Try not laughing at that.

Right. Not to show it. You do judge, but you hide it. What you missed in the academic paper I brought you, is that understanding someone reauires ACTUAL non-judgement. It's not easy. As it said, the more a person knows, the more work they need to do be open and receptive as opposed to full of themself (literally) and projection.

Nope. I'm not. I'm disagreeing with you, and you are disagreeing with me.

Nope. And the proof is coming.

It's pretty common for theists and other people who are not able to convince others to assume that it is because of their audience's inability to understand them, the implication being that their thoughts are irresistibly compelling when understood.

It's different for you, because you are literally not listening to what I'm saying and replacing it with something else.