• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Best Shot

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
What reality? The one we actually live in rather than the one conceptualised by others? I think I understand the first. The rest, as I said, I don't speculate about.
The reality you perceive is not real, only your limited perception of it, same as everyone else, hence the discord. Actual reality though can not be perceived by any mortal, hence the religious instruction provided by non-mortals concerning the transcendent non-conceptual oneness.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The reality you perceive is not real, only your perception, same as everyone else, hence the discord. Actual reality though can not be perceived by mortal, hence the religious instruction concerning the transcendent non-conceptual oneness.

Still just words to me that have very little meaning. Why would anyone need to speculate on such things when what will be, will be? How is my understanding or not supposed to affect me?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Still just words to me that have very little meaning. Why would anyone need to speculate on such things when what will be, will be? How is my understanding or not supposed to affect me?
I do not understand what you have tried to convey. Reality is beyond words. I am using words to convey to you that words are not real except as symbols. If you want to apprehend reality, cease thinking and talking and writing!

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I do not understand what you have tried to convey. Reality is beyond words. I am using words to convey to you that words are not real except as symbols. If you want to apprehend reality, cease thinking and talking and writing!

The problem I have is when anyone, such as yourself, tries to explain their views on 'reality' some mention of religious belief invariably follows, and since I consider all such to just be inventions of humans, I am left feeling that nothing is to be learnt or gained. Hence the reason why I just don't contemplate the wider picture of what existence entails. I am just not sufficiently qualified to even look at the physics, and since nothing I do will affect anything, I'll leave that area alone, thanks.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
The problem I have is when anyone, such as yourself, tries to explain their views on 'reality' some mention of religious belief invariably follows, and since I consider all such to just be inventions of humans, I am left feeling that nothing is to be learnt or gained. Hence the reason why I just don't contemplate the wider picture of what existence entails. I am just not sufficiently qualified to even look at the physics, and since nothing I do will affect anything, I'll leave that area alone, thanks.
I have not tried to explain reality, I've explained that reality is beyond words, beyond explanation. Unfortunately there is no other way to convey to you that words can not convey truth, but by using words to say so, so if you understand, there is nothing else for me to add, you either understand or you do not understand what I have explained.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I have not tried to explain reality, I've explained that reality is beyond words, beyond explanation. Unfortunately there is no other way to convey to you that words can not convey truth, but by using words to say so, so if you understand, there is nothing else for me to add, you either understand or you do not understand what I have explained.

It still doesn't mean anything when all this is followed by some talk of a religious belief, because as I've said, I consider all to be man-made and hence likely to be in error. So overall, I see nothing to be gained by even thinking about existence, since there is nothing I can do to determine anything other than my experiences here on Earth. I can't step outside of my subjective experiences.

Last edited:

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
It still doesn't mean anything when all this is followed by some talk of a religious belief, because as I've said, I consider all to be man-made and hence likely to be in error.
I have not talked of religious belief, to the contrary I have explained that belief in any reality is not understanding, true understanding is understanding that actual reality is on the other side of any and all mortal conceptualizations/beliefs about actual reality. Religion in the context of my usage is the practice is realizing reality non-conceptually.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I have not talked of religious belief, to the contrary I have explained that belief in any reality is not understanding, true understanding is understanding that actual reality is on the other side of any and all mortal conceptualizations/beliefs about actual reality. Religion in the context of my usage is the practice is realizing reality non-conceptually.

See the previous where I added some.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I could quite see myself living there. As I said, I love France, and have no issues with the French. I had a SSB short wave radio once and I fell in love with the French female giving out shipping instructions, so lovely was her voice. :oops: :D

Many Brits think the French language is beautiful/sexy. Many French think the same of English.

But speaking French with a Lancashire accent can cause problems. :confused:

They are very friendly and helpful people and have a good laugh when i find myself apologising for the 100 years war.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
See the previous where I added some.
Sure, you like all mortals can't step outside your subjective experience of reality, but with appropriate religious practice, progress can be made to realize the underlying eternal cosmic source of your being. This practice does not involve belief, only understanding, transformation, etc... Please don't interpret this post as an attempt to persuade you to give up your present belief.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Sure, you like all mortals can't step outside your subjective experience of reality, but with appropriate religious practice, progress can be made to realize the underlying eternal cosmic source of your being. This practice does not involve belief, only understanding, transformation, etc...

There goes the old religious bit - sorry, I just can't accept they have anything of value to say about reality, existence or whatever - with most religious beliefs being formed before humans had the slightest clue as to reality - like atomic particles, tectonic plates, the vast numbers of planets out there, the immense number of other galaxies. etc. - mere speculation to me. :oops:

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
There goes the old religious bit - sorry, I just can't accept they have anything of value to say about reality, existence or whatever - with most religious beliefs being formed before humans had the slightest clue as to reality - like atomic particles, tectonic plates, the vast numbers of planets out there, the immense number of other galaxies. etc. - mere speculation to me. :oops:
Religion in the context I am using it is just the journey of self discovery of the underlying cosmic oneness, reuniting with the cosmos. So long as you think you are separate from the cosmos. you will never find peace in the universe in all eternity.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Many Brits think the French language is beautiful/sexy. Many French think the same of English.

But speaking French with a Lancashire accent can cause problems. :confused:

They are very friendly and helpful people and have a good laugh when i find myself apologising for the 100 years war.

I bet - haven't been over for quite a while. I think the last time was to solo Mont Blanc - which was rather fool-hardly of me perhaps since there are crevasses on the route but not that particular year. It was blowing a gale though, such that I got the top layer of skin blasted off my face. And it was so windy at the top that I never even got any photos. :rolleyes: I think the French language is up there with Welsh and Irish for pleasantness - my relatives were Welsh and I quite liked their voices. And I've been to Ireland several times too, caving and sailing, and they are the nicest people too I've found. But one trip across in a yacht to Northern Island wasn't too pleasant - perhaps they thought we were English Special Forces - got the silent treatment when we entered a bar. :D

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Religion in the context I am using it is just the journey of self discovery of the underlying cosmic oneness, reuniting with the cosmos. So long as you think you are separate from the cosmos. you will never find peace in the universe in all eternity.

I'm not really looking for anything - not now - I seem to be as reasonably happy as I ever could want to be. :D