• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your thoughts on ''mediums?''

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
On the proponents or the positions?

On the proponents -- absolutely. They are, for the most part, ignorant fools.

We all are! Yes!
We are all ignorant about differing but many subjects, facts and abilities.
And we can all be fools about differing actions, decisions and beliefs.

And the striking truth about the 'consensus of science' is that it makes the most dreadful conclusions and findings, but then U turns to new knowledge whilst applying amnesia as panacea for its follies.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
I watched a documentary recently about mediums, and it all seemed very convincing, that there are people out there who can 'channel' the dead, and bring some closure for those of us who have lost loved ones, and maybe are still searching for answers. Some religions teach that mediums are evil, but I happen to think that maybe there are some people who have this special ''gift.'' What do you think? Do you ''believe'' in mediums?

Have you ever hired one to help you communicate with a deceased loved one?
I recently attended a public talk by one of these mediums. The talk was free and she did readings for about five people in the audience (of about 50) - communicated with and passed information from their dead relatives. The subjects did not seem like plants at all (one of the subjects was pretty embarrassed at being picked on) and apparently all the information seemed to be fairly accurate. I was quite convinced that the channeling was real. This medium was talking quite normally and saying logical, reasonable things all the time. However, I would not trust anyone who goes into a trance or talks in an altered or weird voice - those are the fake ones.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I watched a documentary recently about mediums, and it all seemed very convincing, that there are people out there who can 'channel' the dead, and bring some closure for those of us who have lost loved ones, and maybe are still searching for answers. Some religions teach that mediums are evil, but I happen to think that maybe there are some people who have this special ''gift.'' What do you think? Do you ''believe'' in mediums?

Some spiritualists, channellers, mediums, etc., are in contact with the dimensions beyond the physical, but it is an art rather than a science, and the efficacy of such is a mixed bag.

Most serious religious teachings warn aspirants to eschew direct conscious involvement is such practice as it can involve significant danger to progress towards the goal of transcending these lowers levels of 'spiritual' energy. However the serious aspirant will naturally become aware of psychic phenomena on the path, but is advised not to dwell long in these nether regions, for the real glory and peace of God is unspeakable, meaning it is non-conceptual.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Make the following test.

Ask one of those media (plural of medium) to channel Einstein. Once the channel is in place, don't ask him about his mother, peace on earth, whether he can still play violin instead of a harp, or whatever; that is not interesting.

Ask Einstein how his spacetime field equations have covariant solutions which involve differential manifolds that are not Pseudo Riemannian everywhere.

And see what happens with the channel.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

RESOLUTION

Whilst, I am sure they can contact spirits of the dead (1 Samuel 28:13-15) I also believe spirits can take on the knowledge of past people.
It is a grave area, I believe. (no pun intended).

Like Samuel with Saul, we see even in death Samuel can prophecy from God. But the believer is at rest till Christ comes he actually sleeps.
But for those who believeth and liveth they go to be with the Lord and God as the Stoning of Stephen shows.

I personally, have seen mediums whom I believe are true. I would not go to a medium myself. Have experienced too much to know I frighten them. LOL. :p
You can see things without mediums.

RESOLUTION

Q. Your thoughts on ''mediums?''

A. Those who do it for a price: Con artists.
.....Those who do it for non-monetary personal reasons: Crack pots

Ha Ha you tell em son! LOL. You're so open, it is good. I find you straight to the point and that is so refreshing, Well done! Skwim you made laugh and big grin at the same time.

RESOLUTION

There are Bible scriptures which suggest that it is not possible for dead people to communicate anything.
Ecclesiastes 9:4-5 and Ecclesiastes 9:10 Isaiah 26:14

1 Samuel 28.

6 And when Saul enquired of the Lord, the Lord answered him not, neither by dreams, nor by Urim, nor by prophets.

7 Then said Saul unto his servants, Seek me a woman that hath a familiar spirit, that I may go to her, and enquire of her. And his servants said to him, Behold, there is a woman that hath a familiar spirit at Endor.

8 And Saul disguised himself, and put on other raiment, and he went, and two men with him, and they came to the woman by night: and he said, I pray thee, divine unto me by the familiar spirit, and bring me him up, whom I shall name unto thee.

9 And the woman said unto him, Behold, thou knowest what Saul hath done, how he hath cut off those that have familiar spirits, and the wizards, out of the land: wherefore then layest thou a snare for my life, to cause me to die?

10 And Saul sware to her by the Lord, saying, As the Lord liveth, there shall no punishment happen to thee for this thing.

11 Then said the woman, Whom shall I bring up unto thee? And he said, Bring me up Samuel.

12 And when the woman saw Samuel, she cried with a loud voice: and the woman spake to Saul, saying, Why hast thou deceived me? for thou art Saul.

13 And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth.

14 And he said unto her, What form is he of? And she said, An old man cometh up; and he is covered with a mantle. And Saul perceived that it was Samuel, and he stooped with his face to the ground, and bowed himself.

15 And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest make known unto me what I shall do.

You have to understand the passages in their context. Read them again and then think of the issues where they are said and the books themselves and what they represent in the bible.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
@RESOLUTION
I have read the Bible
I know that scripture
To being UP seems to be a bad translation
You have no proof that what appeared as a spirit was actually Samuel
And
If it was Samuel, he might have come from his LIVING state.

Have you no imagination?

RESOLUTION

@RESOLUTION
I have read the Bible
I know that scripture
To being UP seems to be a bad translation
You have no proof that what appeared as a spirit was actually Samuel
And
If it was Samuel, he might have come from his LIVING state.

Have you no imagination?

One time I asked God why I never spoke in tongues here on earth. I am not a person who can pretend about those things. It has to be real for me.
I don't pretend about what I believe or why.
One night whilst talking to him I don't remember falling asleep, I was talking to him in a throne room. He was there but I could not look to see his face
just felt him all around me and others. He gave me a name and I was told it was my name when I came home to be with him.
He told me I would not remember the name when I awoke because it was for then not for now.
When I awoke I was speaking in a strange tongue. I could not remember the name.

I have since heard people speak in tongues and understood their heart and what they were praying for, I was able to tell them what God needed them to know.
I have prayed and seen people healed. I have watched God do wondrous things. I know with God nothing is impossible. I never rely on what I think I know
I trust God who has been with me all my life.

You do not need imagination when you have truth.

"He hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts"

If you have the ability to discern spirits then do so.

God knows you cannot discern my spirit but want to share something with me. However, you want something from me in order to do so.
King James Bible
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Man must live by every word of God. ><>

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
One time I asked God why I never spoke in tongues here on earth. I am not a person who can pretend about those things. It has to be real for me.
I don't pretend about what I believe or why.
One night whilst talking to him I don't remember falling asleep, I was talking to him in a throne room. He was there but I could not look to see his face
just felt him all around me and others. He gave me a name and I was told it was my name when I came home to be with him.
He told me I would not remember the name when I awoke because it was for then not for now.
When I awoke I was speaking in a strange tongue. I could not remember the name.

I have since heard people speak in tongues and understood their heart and what they were praying for, I was able to tell them what God needed them to know.
I have prayed and seen people healed. I have watched God do wondrous things. I know with God nothing is impossible. I never rely on what I think I know
I trust God who has been with me all my life.

You do not need imagination when you have truth.

"He hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts"

If you have the ability to discern spirits then do so.

God knows you cannot discern my spirit but want to share something with me. However, you want something from me in order to do so.
King James Bible
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Man must live by every word of God. ><>
I do not know that that has to do with what I wrote.

I didn't say the scripture might not be true. I have said that the spirit which appeared to Saul
could not have been the dead Samuel.

Because, if it was a dead person appearing up, then other scriptures would be wrong.

Why not someone show me that it said Samuel was called and then appeared from his DEAD state?

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm not clear what you are getting at with those comments.

But yes, this guy is well-credentialed and cautious. The usual skeptics again will champion the claim that this seemingly highly intelligent parapsychologist who makes experimental design part of his specialty, is incompetent or a fraud.

It is pretty damming. Although his education is impressive, those on the same level of academic knowledge and understanding, his fellows and peers, seem to hold another opinion in regards to this.

Snippet from wiki.....

Schwartz's methods have prompted criticism from skeptics such as University of Oregonprofessor Ray Hyman, who says Professor Schwartz's research deviates from the accepted norms of scientific methodology, and criticizes Schwartz for research errors such as inappropriate statistical tests and using subjects predisposed to believe inpsychic abilities.[11] Skeptic Robert Todd Carroll maintains that Schwartz's evaluation of mediums is subjective and a product of "wishful thinking."[8][12] When retired stage magician and famous skeptic James Randiasked the University of Arizona to submit Schwartz's research data to an independent panel for evaluation as part of his One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge, Schwartz declined because he thought that the panel, which he believed would be picked by Randi, would be biased. The University of Arizona's then-president Peter Likins, decided that Schwartz's statements were matters of "freedom of expression."[non-primary source needed][13]

Schwartz has also been accused by psychic Laurie Campbell and Allison DuBois of exploiting their psychic abilities for his own publicity.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Make the following test.

Ask one of those media (plural of medium) to channel Einstein. Once the channel is in place, don't ask him about his mother, peace on earth, whether he can still play violin instead of a harp, or whatever; that is not interesting.

Ask Einstein how his spacetime field equations have covariant solutions which involve differential manifolds that are not Pseudo Riemannian everywhere.

And see what happens with the channel.

Ciao

- viole
I like that. Of course, something will conveniently and suddenly happen with the channeling.....

Einstein......are .. you there?.... ? ... ....Coming in fuzzy..... Einstein?

Losing communication.......

Drat. Lost him. Sorry folks.

RESOLUTION

I do not know that that has to do with what I wrote.

I didn't say the scripture might not be true. I have said that the spirit which appeared to Saul
could not have been the dead Samuel.

Because, if it was a dead person appearing up, then other scriptures would be wrong.

Why not someone show me that it said Samuel was called and then appeared from his DEAD state?

Why not show me the scripture which says no dead appearing would mean the scripture wrong. I have seen a lot of scripture deliberately
taken out of context and shows lack of understanding about God. So I am happy to see where you feel you are getting these things from.
I will also ask you about Elijah and Moses appearing and speaking with Christ.

King James Bible
And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.

God is not limited.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why not show me the scripture which says no dead appearing would mean the scripture wrong.
I have seen a lot of scripture deliberately
taken out of context and shows lack of understanding about God. So I am happy to see where you feel you are getting these things from.
What things?
I will also ask you about Elijah and Moses appearing and speaking with Christ.

King James Bible
And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.

God is not limited.
I believe that God is not confused, like many people are and that God would not lie like you seem to think that Ecclesiastes 9:10 is a lie.
It doesn't say they arrived from the place of the dead. If it does, according to YOU, then show me, please!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Luke 20:38 He is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive.

Put that together with the theory that all things are actually happening simultaneously.

The Transcended Omniverse

To me, this as the total explanation cannot explain the results produced by the most gifted psychics under triple-blind controlled conditions. Serious cold reading magician types admit that they could not perform in the controlled experiments discussed in the link I presented earlier. Also in brain scan studies, gifted psychics look different. They show enhanced activity in the area of the brain believed to be associated with intuition and actually like to know as little as possible about the person they are reading so that their analytical mind doesn't interfere.

Could it be that this enhanced brain activity allows them to pick up on subtle cues and that these mediums are still frauds who don't need to ask much questions at all? The mediums you claim are not frauds could just simply be mediums with a much higher sense of intuition who can pick up on subtle cues that other typical mediums cannot.