• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your view on abortion. Atheist welcome.

pray4me

But they weren't discussing what the law should be, they were discussing what the law is. I don't think it was intentional, but you're moving the goalposts.

??? I'm not really sure what this means. Does it mean my post was off topic?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Just because the law doesn't consider them to be human doesn't mean they're not.

It does if you're speaking legally.

If another country had a law that said Americans weren't human would that mean we aren't? Would that make them murdering us okay? No it would not, just because a law says it doesn't make it true.

I'm not sure where this came from. No, of course it wouldn't make it OK to us. However, it would make it OK to whichever country had that law. I'm saying that legally in the U.S. unborn children don't have the same rights as humans who have been born. You might not think it should be that way, but that's the way it is currently.

A baby is just as much human before he or she is born as they are after. They simply need their mother more. I think it is unthinkable that the one person they need to survive, the one person they rely on can legally decide to kill them.

That's your opinion. It's not shared by our government, and not by many of us including me. They are not human when they are a little clump of cells with no organs. They are in the process of becoming human, but it's a little dishonest to call something with no human features that's only made up of 100 cells "human".

pray4me

It does if you're speaking legally.

I'm not sure where this came from. No, of course it wouldn't make it OK to us. However, it would make it OK to whichever country had that law. I'm saying that legally in the U.S. unborn children don't have the same rights as humans who have been born. You might not think it should be that way, but that's the way it is currently.

That's your opinion. It's not shared by our government, and not by many of us including me. They are not human when they are a little clump of cells with no organs. They are in the process of becoming human, but it's a little dishonest to call something with no human features that's only made up of 100 cells "human".

It doesn't take long for those 100 cells to form into a body start forming organs, hands and feet. You can see a baby's heartbeat on ultrasound as early as 6 weeks. Yes unfortuately the laws in this country says a human child is not human until a certain time during his or her mothers pregnancy.

So here we are at a standstill. You are saying it is simply my opinion that a human beings life begins at conception and I am saying it is simply YOUR OPINION that it begins some time after that.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
So here we are at a standstill. You are saying it is simply my opinion that a human beings life begins at conception and I am saying it is simply YOUR OPINION that it begins some time after that.
And the really funny thing is...
Yer BOTH right!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Sorry had to correct your grammer I couldn't help myself. It's "You're both right" your is a possesive pronoun. You're is a contraction of you are.
Thank you.
It has been fixed.

And BTW:
'grammer' is spelled "grammAr" and 'possesive' is spelled "posseSive."

Last edited by a moderator:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
It doesn't take long for those 100 cells to form into a body start forming organs, hands and feet. You can see a baby's heartbeat on ultrasound as early as 6 weeks. Yes unfortuately the laws in this country says a human child is not human until a certain time during his or her mothers pregnancy.

It doesn't take long, but they're still not human until they have all of those parts, which is why the law here says they're not human.

Of course, but the reasoning on my side is better, which is why it's upheld by the courts.

And the really funny thing is...
Yer BOTH right!!!!

Am I missing something? Are you saying that because it's an opinion, it's automatically correct, at least for whoever has that opinion? If so, I agree. If not, then only one could be objectively correct.

Sorry, had to correct your grammar. I couldn't help myself. It's "You're both right". Your is a possessive pronoun. You're is a contraction of you are.

It usually helps to be correct with your own grammar and typing when correcting someone else on theirs. I fixed this for you with the corrections in red.

Last edited:

pray4me

It doesn't take long, but they're still not human until they have all of those parts, which is why the law here says they're not human.

I don't think that means the reasoning on your side is better. It just means that people who are in power agree with you. If the people in power agreed with me the laws would be different.

Of course, but the reasoning on my side is better, which is why it's upheld by the courts.

[/color][/size]

Am I missing something? Are you saying that because it's an opinion, it's automatically correct, at least for whoever has that opinion? If so, I agree. If not, then only one could be objectively correct.

It usually helps to be correct with your own grammar and typing when correcting someone else on theirs. I fixed this for you with the corrections in red.
[/indent]

Thank you, the only reason I corrected his grammar is because it really bugs me when people use the word 'your' instead of the word 'you're'. I know my own grammar isn't the best in the world but it still bugs me.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
If the woman takes care of her body, the delivery goes fine, and the baby has no health issues, they will be perfectly fine.

I just have to say..this is a little off topic.But I read this and almost fell out of my chair at the naivety and ignorance of this statement.

It was on a thread I can't post on.But I had to say something.

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

leahrachelle

I just have to say..this is a little off topic.But I read this and almost fell out of my chair at the naivety and ignorance of this statement.

It was on a thread I can't post on.But I had to say something.

Love

Dallas
Please, humor me with what is so insanely funny. I'm curious.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
By 9 biast people? Pshh, that really isn't a good argument at all.
Actually it is the best one thus far presented.
For those 9 people are in fact biased.
Or at least, they are supposed to be.
They are supposed to uphold the legal system with extreme bias towards that which goes against the US Constitution.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
By 9 biast people? Pshh, that really isn't a good argument at all.

Biased in what way? So, any time someone disagrees with you, they're biased? As Mestemia said, their only bias is against anything unconstitutional. They don't let their personal opinions on matters get in their way, which is why they're where they are.

leahrachelle

Actually it is the best one thus far presented.
For those 9 people are in fact biased.
Or at least, they are supposed to be.
They are supposed to uphold the legal system with extreme bias towards that which goes against the US Constitution.
I am so confused..

leahrachelle

Biased in what way? So, any time someone disagrees with you, they're biased? As Mestemia said, their only bias is against anything unconstitutional. They don't let their personal opinions on matters get in their way, which is why they're where they are.
No my point is that the system is messed up.
1.) they can't help but be bias but they are human. As much as we try to block out what we know we have to do, we have what we want to do stuck in our heads
I think to block out this bias we need an even number of people who feel each way on each issue. But this is totally different from the thread obviously..

My point, though, is that the law does not say what is "right" and "wrong."

astarath

This is interesting,

So they are biased because they chose the wrong answer? I believe the topic of discussion is what is right in this area.
In a court both prosecution and defense pick the jurors as to create a fair and just scenario as far removed from bias as humanly possible. In that scenario the verdict would and should be accepted as unbiased.

Above there is a comment to the logic of a baby not being considered a baby because it is missing the parts. I have always found this an interesting concept as we have a friend who's baby was born at 23 weeks!!! In Canada there are no abortion laws so a child may be aborted right up to the day they are born however at 23 weeks this baby had not yet formed fully functional lungs and didnt even have fully formed eyelids. However this child now lives healthy and normal, no less a child than my own children born full term. Unfortunately the debate of the pregnancy not having progressed far enough logical to terminate the potential for life sad and shallow at best. Where there lies a potential for life to exist we should allow it.