• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your view on abortion. Atheist welcome.

leahrachelle

Wow.
42 million abortions worldwide per year
115,000 a day!
1.37 million a year in the US
3,700 a day
52% of women are under 25
Black women are 3x more likely
$15,000 or less income makes up 28.7%
Sorry for the wrong information earlier on this btw - "1% of all abortions occur because of rape or incest; 6% of abortions occur because of potential health problems regarding either the mother or child, and 93% of all abortions occur for social reasons (i.e. the child is unwanted or inconvenient)."
1% of abortions happen after 20th week - that's for you mball ;)
43% of women will have atleast 1 abortion by the time they are 45 years old!! Wow!
47% of women that have abortions have already had atleast 1 :/

Just some random facts - Abortion Statistics

gnomon

You must admit though that it was rarer than now. (Is rarer a word..? Hmm...)

The availability of modern medical techniques are I do believe led to an increase along with laws that allow for the availability. I just thinks it important to realize that abortions have been recorded over a few thousand years. We don't know as to the frequency of abortions especially given the physical dangers of many abortion techniques and the obvious lack of any records to know the frequency of abortions.

It would be unfair to state it was a common practice just as it would be unfair to state it was a rare practice. The historical record only gives clear indication as to cultural and legal viewpoints such as "quickening", etc.

What's important about the 1960's was the culmination of changes in religious views, rights movements and greater knowledge by the medical community all built up from the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

With more information it may be shown that induced abortions prior to the mid-19th century were indeed rare. I just don't see the evidence to show us either way in determining the relative frequency.

leahrachelle

The availability of modern medical techniques are I do believe led to an increase along with laws that allow for the availability. I just thinks it important to realize that abortions have been recorded over a few thousand years. We don't know as to the frequency of abortions especially given the physical dangers of many abortion techniques and the obvious lack of any records to know the frequency of abortions.

It would be unfair to state it was a common practice just as it would be unfair to state it was a rare practice. The historical record only gives clear indication as to cultural and legal viewpoints such as "quickening", etc.

What's important about the 1960's was the culmination of changes in religious views, rights movements and greater knowledge by the medical community all built up from the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

With more information it may be shown that induced abortions prior to the mid-19th century were indeed rare. I just don't see the evidence to show us either way in determining the relative frequency.
That is true, I agree. Without proper evidence, it is hard to say for sure

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Wow.
42 million abortions worldwide per year
115,000 a day!
1.37 million a year in the US
3,700 a day
52% of women are under 25
Black women are 3x more likely
$15,000 or less income makes up 28.7%
Sorry for the wrong information earlier on this btw - "1% of all abortions occur because of rape or incest; 6% of abortions occur because of potential health problems regarding either the mother or child, and 93% of all abortions occur for social reasons (i.e. the child is unwanted or inconvenient)."
1% of abortions happen after 20th week - that's for you mball ;)
43% of women will have atleast 1 abortion by the time they are 45 years old!! Wow!
47% of women that have abortions have already had atleast 1 :/

Just some random facts - Abortion Statistics
Interesting that the Center For Disease Control states much lower numbers....

Of course the CDC does not have an anti-abortion agenda....

Also of note is the fact that the number of abortions has been going DOWN...

Last edited by a moderator:

leahrachelle

Interesting that the Center For Disease Control states much lower numbers....

Of course the CDC does not have an anti-abortion agenda....
One could be more current. And just because they have an anti-abortion agenda doesn't mean it isn't accurate.

leahrachelle

BTW, I didn't pick that site for that reason. I didn't even realize what the site was all about until you said that. I was just googling 'abortion numbers history' and I clicked on that.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
...One could be more current. And just because they have an anti-abortion agenda doesn't mean it isn't accurate.
True, but since the CDC is much more likely to give the actual numbers and not have any reason to manipulate the numbers, I will trust them long before I will trust a pro-life or anti abortion site.

BTW, I didn't pick that site for that reason. I didn't even realize what the site was all about until you said that. I was just googling 'abortion numbers history' and I clicked on that.
It is a good idea to check the sources you use.
Although I agree that having an agenda does not automatically mean manipulation (or even making up of) numbers, it is always better to double check with several sources.
Especially if the information agrees with your opinions.

leahrachelle

True, but since the CDC is much more likely to give the actual numbers and not have any reason to manipulate the numbers, I will trust them long before I will trust a pro-life or anti abortion site.

It is a good idea to check the sources you use.
Although I agree that having an agenda does not automatically mean manipulation (or even making up of) numbers, it is always better to double check with several sources.
Especially if the information agrees with your opinions.
I know and I agree, but the whole check the source thing.. You never really know :/ It's the internet. For all I know, you're a 10 year old little girl and I'm a 40 year old perv :)

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I know and I agree, but the whole check the source thing.. You never really know :/ It's the internet. For all I know, you're a 10 year old little girl and I'm a 40 year old perv :)
Well, my seven year old is now researching everything I tell her.
Though I am proud that she is doing so, it does get annoying.

I do find it rather interesting how my 13 year old will usually just take my word for it.

leahrachelle

Well, my seven year old is now researching everything I tell her.
Though I am proud that she is doing so, it does get annoying.

I do find it rather interesting how my 13 year old will usually just take my word for it.
He/she's realized they can trust you maybe? Or he/she just isn't interested in whether it's correct or not ;)

jacobweymouth

Exodus 21: 23, shows that God does not consider a forming foetus to be a living person.

22.If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine.
23.And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life,
24. Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,
25Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

I infer nothing of the kind from this passage.

How would you feel if the anti-abortion lobby were able to convince the authorities that be, to classify the forming foetus as a living person, meaning that you could be charged with murder or manslaughter for causing a pregnant woman to miscarry, even though by nature, she may not have been able to carry her pregnancy to its full term.

There was a case in 2007, I believe, in which a pregnant woman was murdered, and the murderess ( as I recall) was charged with 2 counts of murder.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
There was a case in 2007, I believe, in which a pregnant woman was murdered, and the murderess ( as I recall) was charged with 2 counts of murder.
I'd really like to see a source for that. I'm no legal expert, but my understanding is that that's impossible under our current system.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I've heard of cases involving deliberately battering a woman to miscarriage, and the maximum charge is asault & battery.

leahrachelle

"There are fetal homicide laws on the books in more than two
dozen states, but they vary widely. In some states, such as Missouri
and Minnesota, a fetus is considered a living thing at conception.
In others, like Georgia and Michigan, a fetus is only protected after
"quickening" — when movement is first felt in the womb — occurs"

SCOTT PETERSON DOUBLE HOMICIDE DEATH PENALTY

jacobweymouth

I'd really like to see a source for that. I'm no legal expert, but my understanding is that that's impossible under our current system.

go to crime.about.com, and look it up there.

It won't let me post the URL

According to this, it was in 2005.