• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your view on abortion. Atheist welcome.

gnomon

SLAVERY was big, but the CONTROVERSY wasn't. It wasn't until the questioning of it grew big that something was done about it.

Exactly. It wasn't until the social climate changed.

Not that fact of its long existence prior to any controversy.

Not that fact that it was widespread prior to any controversy.

So in other words, we can now agree that prior to the 1960's abortion has had a long history, was NOT a very rare occurrence given the evidence of abortifacients, ancient laws, tools and practices shows that what changed was NOT the argument of abortion but the argument of women's rights.

Something that did not exist in wide variety prior to the 1960's. Abortion has always been there. Stating that the lack of a Roe v. Wade from ancient times among completely different cultures, views of women's role in society and the scientific understanding of pre-natal development............it's just wrong.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Conclusions like: she must be stupid.
stu·pid
adj.

Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
4. Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
5. Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

stupid
Adjective
1. lacking in common sense or intelligence
2. trivial, silly, or childish: we got into a stupid quarrel
3. unable to think clearly; dazed: stupid with tiredness [Latin stupidus]
Collins Essential English Dictionary 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2004, 2006
Thus far you have demonstrated definition one from the American Heritage Dictionary and definition two of the Collins Dictionary.

leahrachelle

Exactly. It wasn't until the social climate changed.

Not that fact of its long existence prior to any controversy.

Not that fact that it was widespread prior to any controversy.

So in other words, we can now agree that prior to the 1960's abortion has had a long history, was NOT a very rare occurrence given the evidence of abortifacients, ancient laws, tools and practices shows that what changed was NOT the argument of abortion but the argument of women's rights.

Something that did not exist in wide variety prior to the 1960's. Abortion has always been there. Stating that the lack of a Roe v. Wade from ancient times among completely different cultures, views of women's role in society and the scientific understanding of pre-natal development............it's just wrong.
You must admit though that it was rarer than now. (Is rarer a word..? Hmm...)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
You're assumptions arn't that good then.
I'd find it more likely I'm stupid then I'm dishonest ;)
Once again, I'm not making assumptions. I can't help forming opinions of your posts. If you don't like the way you're perceived, change your presentation.

leahrachelle

stu·pid
adj.
1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
4. Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
5. Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

stupid
Adjective
1. lacking in common sense or intelligence
2. trivial, silly, or childish: we got into a stupid quarrel
3. unable to think clearly; dazed: stupid with tiredness [Latin stupidus]
Collins Essential English Dictionary 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2004, 2006
Thus far you have demonstrated definition one from the American Heritage Dictionary and definition two of the Collins Dictionary.
Do you go around calling people stupid?
Which was the point here, by the way....

leahrachelle

Once again, I'm not making assumptions. I can't help forming opinions of your posts. If you don't like the way you're perceived, change your presentation.
I don't care if you think I'm stupid. I just think it's pretty sad that you have to tell it to me.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I don't care if you think I'm stupid. I just think it's pretty sad that you have to tell it to me.
Then why do you keep accusing me of it? For the third time, I think you're a liar. The fact that I've had to correct you three times backs me up.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
You must admit though that it was rarer than now. (Is rarer a word..? Hmm...)
Based on what?
Your word for it?
Don't think so.

Can you present anything other than your word to support this?

EDIT:
I did not see your post answering this question till after I hit submit

leahrachelle

Then why do you keep accusing me of it? For the third time, I think you're a liar. The fact that I've had to correct you three times backs me up.
I think you're a liar as well because it doesn't make sense why you would call me stupid if you didn't mean it.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Becuase I didn't. I said that to believe what you said you'd have to be stupid. I don't believe you believe it, which makes you a liar.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Do you go around calling people stupid?
Which was the point here, by the way....
No, I don't.
At least not usually.
You have been using this "stupid" strawman long enough that it finally annoyed me enough to show you how you are being stupid.
It is not the fault of mine that you refuse to see what has been put right before you.