• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your view on abortion. Atheist welcome.

leahrachelle

Ok, let me say a few things about this post, Leah, if I may.

I'm 27. I drink. I smoke. I don't do drugs anymore, though I used to. I do not gossip, nor do I hang around anyone who does. I got top grades and finished highschool and college at the top of my class. I have a desire to learn and always have. I care about my future.

I had a child when in highschool. I had him because at that time, I didn't believe in abortion for MYSELF. I'd had friends who had them and I never treated them differently because I respected their decisions, but I, myself, couldn't have done it. I've raised him alone since the moment he was born. I also continued to go to highschool and then put myself through college, while working full time just so my son would have someone to look up to. I've screwed up in my life and I am not perfect, but because of my drive and perserverence, I've been the best mother my son could hope for, while at the same time working and going to school so he could also have someone as a role model in his life.

While I was in college, I got pregnant again, through stupid and careless mistakes. I assessed my situation and the situation of the child I already had.

I could not afford to continue school and work and take care of another child with the salary I had. As it was, my time was limited with my son. If I had another to take care of, it would be even less so. Both children would end up with less, financially than my one son already have and both would end up with less of a mother. I made the decision to have an abortion. It was a hard decision, but one I felt I needed to make on the behalf of my child that was already here.

Today, my son is 10. I'm still taking care of him alone. I'm STILL going to school to make a better person out of myself and give him a better person to look up to. I work three jobs just to give him everything I think he should have.

I think I am a good person. I am confident in myself and who I am. My beautiful boy was born 9 weeks earlier at less than 4 lbs because my body was not ready to carry a child at that point. I'm am 27 now. My son is 10 and is just as smart, happy and energetic as any other child, though the doctors told me it could have gone either way, given his premature-ness. My life and that of my boy is what it should be and only got that way because of the hard decisions I've made over the last ten years.

You don't want anyone judging you, so now please tell me, now that you know my life story and that of my child's, Am I a horrible person? Am I a murderer? Am I someone who should be condemned and ridiculed and ostricized?
A murderer, yes, but i don't mean that rudely - you simply follow the definition is all, please dont take offense at that. Dallas took offense at this and I assure you, I'm not trying to be mean okay.
I don't have the right to say if you are a good person or a bad person because I don't know you. And I'm not going to make assumptions; thats not fair.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
A murderer, yes, but i don't mean that rudely - you simply follow the definition is all, please dont take offense at that. Dallas took offense at this and I assure you, I'm not trying to be mean okay.
If you think you can call someone a murderer politely, you're an idiot.

I don't have the right to say if you are a good person or a bad person because I don't know you. And I'm not going to make assumptions; thats not fair.
No, you don't have the right, but you just did.

leahrachelle

No, it does state what a human is. The legal line between "not a person" and "person" is quite clear. You just don't like where it is, apparently.
Maybe in Canada; not here

The ironic thing is that the pro-life side shares quite a bit of the blame for the current situation in the US, where abortion is legal at any stage of pregnancy.

I think that things have devolved into an "armed camp" mentality: any concession is seen as a step toward a total prohibition of abortion, and therefore is fought tooth-and-nail. I think most pro-choice people would consider limits or even prohibitions on late-term abortions as a reasonable compromise, but don't want to have any part of the step-wise prohibition of abortion as a whole.
That's obviously an assumption because I definately do.. Whatever limitations come about I'll be happy with. Of course I'll be most happy if it was completely banned, but a little is always better than nothing.

leahrachelle

Yes, obviously smoking can have very bad consequences. I know, considering I smoked for 14 years of my life. What I meant was that doing those stupid things that kids do is not necessarily a bad thing. Obviously, there's nothing wrong with someone who doesn't do them either. I just don't think Leah should specifically not do them because she doesn't want to be childish like everyone thinks 16-year-olds are. That's what youth is for, especially since she seems plenty intelligent enough to know when to stop.
That is not why I don't do them.
How about the fact that I just know better... -_-

leahrachelle

Is there any particular reason for this apparent contempt for the judicial process?

Roe v. Wade aside, what do you make of the fact that a fetus has never been considered a person for the purposes of the law in any regard? For example, at any time since the fourteenth amendment was passed, have fetuses been counted in "the whole number of persons in each State" referred to in it? How exactly did "9 people decide" to do things that way?
See the thing is, the issue never really came up before this. Didn't abortions really start around the 60s and 70s?
Before, it was probably extremely rare. If it was a common thing, the issue would have been dealt with a long time ago.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
If I'm saying that I don't mean it rudely, I don't mean it rudely. If you chose to still take it negatively after I say that, that's your fault.
How exactly can merely saying you do not mean something rudely negate the fact that it is rude?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
If I'm saying that I don't mean it rudely, I don't mean it rudely. If you chose to still take it negatively after I say that, that's your fault.
No, it's your fault for calling someone a murderer. To truly fail to understand that, you have to be stupid.

gnomon

See the thing is, the issue never really came up before this. Didn't abortions really start around the 60s and 70s?
Before, it was probably extremely rare. If it was a common thing, the issue would have been dealt with a long time ago.

The abortion issue has been around for a very long time.

To state that abortions didn't really start until the '60s or '70s ..... one wonders if you have any clue at all.

leahrachelle

The abortion issue has been around for a very long time.

To state that abortions didn't really start until the '60s or '70s ..... one wonders if you have any clue at all.

No, I didn't say that. I said it didn't become a BIG issue until then.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I doubt your right.

Here you're just being argumentative and/or willfully ignorant. You can't possibly believe that many people would agree that abortions at 20 weeks are acceptable without extenuating circumstances.

Ya'll dont respect life as much as we do, though

Well, that's very self-righteous of you. In fact you're not even right. I respect the life of the women who make these decisions, whereas you don't. So, apparently it's a matter of me respecting adult human life more and you respecting non-fully-formed future human life more.

Saying it's a matter of me not respecting life and you respecting it is childish and ridiculous, and shows an ignorance on the whole topic. I know you can do better than that.