• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your view on abortion. Atheist welcome.

leahrachelle

Here you're just being argumentative and/or willfully ignorant. You can't possibly believe that many people would agree that abortions at 20 weeks are acceptable without extenuating circumstances.
No, I didn't say many - you said I doubt you'll find someone and I was saying no, I definately can.

Well, that's very self-righteous of you. In fact you're not even right. I respect the life of the women who make these decisions, whereas you don't. So, apparently it's a matter of me respecting adult human life more and you respecting non-fully-formed future human life more.

Saying it's a matter of me not respecting life and you respecting it is childish and ridiculous, and shows an ignorance on the whole topic. I know you can do better than that.
No, it is not about that AT ALL... I respect LIFE. You respect INCONVENIENCE

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
That is not why I don't do them.
How about the fact that I just know better... -_-

But most of those things can be perfectly fun and enjoyable without having very negative consequences. It's not that you can't party, you just shouldn't do it excessively. It's not that you can't use MySpace, you can still do it in a mature way. You should do some of them, IMO.

gnomon

No, I didn't say that. I said it didn't become a BIG issue until then.

Didn't abortions really start around the 60s and 70s?
Before, it was probably extremely rare.
If it was a common thing, the issue would have been dealt with a long time ago.

Don't get hung up on my use of the term"really".

1) Abortions were not extremely rare
2) The history of abortifacients is rather long. Whether or not there was much success in their use we do know that efforts to terminate a pregnancy have been around for a long time.

leahrachelle

Don't get hung up on my use of the term"really".

1) Abortions were not extremely rare
2) The history of abortifacients is rather long. Whether or not there was much success in their use we do know that efforts to terminate a pregnancy have been around for a long time.
You are missing my point completely. It was not big enough for there to be major controversy about it. If it was, a Roe vs. Wade would have happened a long time ago.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
No, I didn't say many - you said I doubt you'll find someone and I was saying no, I definately can.

OK, well, who is this person you know you can find. I've never met anyone who would support that. As with anything, there might be a few people out there, but not a significant number. You'll also find people out there with no qualms about murdering someone with a gun, but the number isn't a significant portion of the population.

No, it is not about that AT ALL... I respect LIFE. You respect INCONVENIENCE

Then why did yo say before that you don't respect the life of a woman who chooses an abortion "for selfish reasons"? You specifically said there were times when you don't respect life, and that is what I was talking about. Painting it as me "respecting inconvenience" is just silly.

gnomon

You are missing my point completely. It was not big enough for there to be major controversy about it. If it was, a Roe vs. Wade would have happened a long time ago.

Ever heard of slavery. It was big and around for thousands of years before people made a big deal of it.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Why would I lie unless I meant to be sarcastic...?

It's not about lying. It's about realizing that calling someone a murderer is without exception insulting. What if I said "Not to be rude, but you're a whore"? Would that be OK simply because I said "Not to be rude"?

leahrachelle

OK, well, who is this person you know you can find. I've never met anyone who would support that.
You should see teenagers nowadays... :/ It's sick really...

Then why did yo say before that you don't respect the life of a woman who chooses an abortion "for selfish reasons"? You specifically said there were times when you don't respect life, and that is what I was talking about. Painting it as me "respecting inconvenience" is just silly.[/quote]
I don't respect the lives of people who take other people's lives away.

leahrachelle

It's not about lying. It's about realizing that calling someone a murderer is without exception insulting. What if I said "Not to be rude, but you're a whore"? Would that be OK simply because I said "Not to be rude"?
Maybe it's just me, but if you said not to be rude, I wouldn't take it in a rude way, no.