• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You're going to Heaven, like it or not!

ashai

sojourner said:
We always seem to champion human free will over God's intentions. While we can look at the very real examples of human resistance to God's grace and become daunted by them, if, in fact, what you claim is true: That our will is more important and greater than God's will for us, then we must conclude that God is ultimately powerless against death. Death always has the last word over God's will.

Picture, if you will, a scene of the holocaust -- thousands of God's beloved people being run through the gas chambers, with God standing helplessly off to the side, powerless to save them.

I just don't think it's going to be that way. God cannot be omnipotent and not have the power to ultimately save us against our will. God's intentions take priority over human free will.

Remember, Satan may have chosen to leave heaven with his minions, but it ain't over yet! (I don't believe in a personality called Satan, but just to play with your example) One day, God will triumph over even the will of Satan, and bring him back into the family.

I like to remember the kind words of God in Hosea (11:8-9), when God decides to love God's ungrateful, rebellious children: "How can I give you up, Ephraim? How can I hand you over, Israel? How can I treat you like Admah? How can I make you like Zeboiim? My heart is changed within me; all my compassion is aroused. I will not carry out my fierce anger, nor will I turn and devastate Ephraim. For I am God, and not man -- the Holy one among you. I will not come in wrath."

Ushta Sojourner

Just to be the:devil: 's advocate here. There is much in Christian scripture that points to an eternal Hell fire, a wrathful, vengeful, god ,etc. so how can you reach your conclusions? If you reinterpret, 'difficult' passages, on what basis do you do so and which hermeneutical principles do you use?:confused:

Ushta te
Ashai

ashai

Endless said:
The answer is neither - you have probably not read the context in which Paul is writing. He is talking about physical ressurection and physical death. If you read the chapter and you will see this. Verse 21 reads:

Paul is clearly talking about ressurection from the dead when he then goes on to write....'even so in Christ shall all be made alive'. Because of what Christ did in rising from the dead - everyone will be raised from the dead - sinners and saints alike. Can i back this up with other scripture? Consider the following:

Both are ressurected, which is why Paul is teaching that all shall be made alive through Christ. This is not referring to being saved - merely to a ressurection from the dead and this is made clear in the chapter. Why else do you think that the Bible refers to people being thrown into the lake of fire as the 'second death'? Because before this they have already been ressurected and made alive again.

Actually Jesus warned people an awful lot about the dangers of hell and perishing. I think perhaps you misunderstand what the Jews understood by heaven. The first heaven was our atmosphere - what we see during the day. The second heaven was the universe or the night sky. The third heaven was the heaven that Jesus is talking about - where he is.
That is why Jesus does not talk about levels in heaven - there are none.
I
Did you ever wonder why when God is creating this universe he creates the heavens? The explanation i gave is the reason why.

Ushta Endless

I do enjoy Abrahamics like you so much , they remind me why I left Abrahamic religion as a teen. :dan: Everything you say has Biblical support. Moreover, those that know hermeneutics, will understand how truly frail, is the position of more liberal Christians, as far as the linguistics of the text go. In other words, from philological view point , its far more likely, and I mean really a lot more likely, that the meaning of the text in the original is in agreement with such literalists and fundamentalists as yourself.

That is precisely why I left Christianity, because the God the Bible depicts, in its more probable and literal meaning, is not the God that I experience on a daily basis.

The nature of the God of literal Biblical and Quranic interpretation, violates the most simple and elemental rudiments of what God must be like to be God. That is, God must be greater ,and better, than His creation. For a God that is worse , ethically, than most of his creatures, cannot be God and if it were , he would not worthy of praise, glory, worship or obedience.

Why do I say, that the God of the literalist, Christians and Muslims is ethically worse than his creatures? And please do not take offense because I do not mean any.

To put it bluntly , an all knowing, all powerful God ,that is Vengeful, Jealous, and Wrathful, is far worse than most humans, but specifically, a God that orders genocide is far worse than most of the very same creatures he judges sinful and sends to an everlasting hell of torment.

For, most humans, find genocide repugnant and even most of the Israelites ended up not fully carrying out that genocidal design given, supposedly, to Moses and Joshua. And, as a matter of fact, they were chastized for being more merciful than their God and blamed for whatecer disasters happened later.

I can only be grateful, though, for my fire and brimstone preacher. Because thanks to him I ran out of Chriatianity and by the gift of the Blessed Creator I found The Most Wise and his Manthran. Personally then, I have nothing bad to say about literalists, in fact, as I said above I am convinced that their interpretation of the Bible and the Quran is, by far, the more correct one.

My only objection is the large amount of people that are psychologically hurt by a theology of fear, guilt and sin. But that is too far away from the scope of this thread, with which I have already taken too many liberties ( I apologize Squirt the :devil: made me do it :))

Ushta to all
Ashai

ashai

Super Universe said:
Some day our religious thinking will evolve to the point where we all know that God is our Father and that He created the universe so that we could exist and choose the life that we want.

I see those petty things in the bible but I immediately recognize them for what they truly are. They are absolutely NOT God's wishes or directions for us. Most can be attributed to human misunderstanding and I'm sure some mistakes belong to the revelators who thought primitive humans desperately needed rules.

Why would God need or want humans to pay Him a ransom? (likely written in by religious leader who wanted to get rich)
Why would a God of love desire you to give Him a blood sacrifice? (likely written in by religious leaders who wanted food delivered to them)
Why would God go to all the trouble to create a universe for us, preach forgiveness of sin, then kill us in a flood or with fire and brimstone because we sin?
A day is not sacred to God. Rituals mean nothing.
God is not jealous of anything. He created the universe, what could He possibly be jealous of?
God does not test us, punish, or kill.

Where do you believe your guardian angel comes from?

Ushta Suoer universe

:clap :clap you almost sound like a Zarathushtrian. our beliefs and yours are indeed very similar The only thing that we might not agree with, is your idea that the Creator , Mazda Ahura to us) created the cosmos so that we could choose whatever life we want. In our belief S/He created the cosmos so that all creation would achieve its potential and become complete. In our case our potential is ethical likeness with the Creator!

But outside of this you can pas for a zarathushtrian any time:bow:

Ushta te
Ashai

ashai

Super Universe said:
Some day our religious thinking will evolve to the point where we all know that God is our Father and that He created the universe so that we could exist and choose the life that we want.

I see those petty things in the bible but I immediately recognize them for what they truly are. They are absolutely NOT God's wishes or directions for us. Most can be attributed to human misunderstanding and I'm sure some mistakes belong to the revelators who thought primitive humans desperately needed rules.

Why would God need or want humans to pay Him a ransom? (likely written in by religious leader who wanted to get rich)
Why would a God of love desire you to give Him a blood sacrifice? (likely written in by religious leaders who wanted food delivered to them)
Why would God go to all the trouble to create a universe for us, preach forgiveness of sin, then kill us in a flood or with fire and brimstone because we sin?
A day is not sacred to God. Rituals mean nothing.
God is not jealous of anything. He created the universe, what could He possibly be jealous of?
God does not test us, punish, or kill.

Where do you believe your guardian angel comes from?

Ushta Super universe

:clap :clap you almost sound like a Zarathushtrian. our beliefs and yours are indeed very similar The only thing that we might not agree with, is your idea that the Creator, (Mazda Ahura to us) created the cosmos so that we could choose whatever life we want. In our belief, S/He created the cosmos so that all creation would achieve its potential and become complete. In our case, our potential is ethical likeness with the Creator!

But outside of this you can pass for a Zarathushtrian any time:bow:

Ushta te
Ashai

ashai

gnostic said:
The thing is that I don't want any afterlife whatsoever.

I don't want to be in heaven in more than I want to be in hell, irrespective of the existences of God, gods, satan, angels, elves, goblins and the fairy godmothers. And I also don't to be reincarnated too.

From the perspectives of the atheists, I would guess they would say all prophets are false. From my perspective, I can't take their words (the prophets' words) at their face values, so I would scruntinise them all. Their words may inspire me to be moved, but at the same time they don't inspire me to accept their faith blindly as my own.

Having said that, I don't want to be in the presence of God or Satan.

Ushta Gnostic

You cannot possibly know you would not want to be in thepresence of god.:tsk: Its like the old commercial says, Try it, you'll like it. As a theist I am convinced that hundreds of millions of believers , experience the presence of God every day right here, and if I am right, then, believe you me , no one, that is no being , would not want, to experience the presence of the Creator, once they experience it one time. :jiggy: And that, is here in a dimension where we are limited. In His/Her presence , in Her/His Abode, the unending bliss and love has to be undescribably more awesome!:dan:

Ushta te
Ashai

Super Universe

Defender of God
ashai said:
Ushta Super universe
you almost sound like a Zarathushtrian. our beliefs and yours are indeed very similar The only thing that we might not agree with, is your idea that the Creator, (Mazda Ahura to us) created the cosmos so that we could choose whatever life we want. In our belief, S/He created the cosmos so that all creation would achieve its potential and become complete. In our case, our potential is ethical likeness with the Creator!

I believe that God created the universe so it would be a vehicle for sentient beings to exist and grow and create the life that we wish to live. But there is more to it than that.

God sends a soul to us to join with us and experience life and if we make that perfect moral decision to do no harm, and stick with it, then our personality fuses with that soul and upon our human death the soul returns to God with more wisdom than it had before.

joeboonda

THe Bible also says God is Love, so he must be just, good, and holy. Were we there when God judged certain peoples that fell into great wickedness? Do we know just how bad it was? Do we know God, and judge God, who loved us and died for us? He gave us free will, we blew it and inherited sin from Adam, and He made a way for us to be reconciled to Him so we could be in His wonderous, beautiful, loving, holy presence, by accepting a totaly free gift, no strings attached. I, like Job, put my hand to my mouth, I utter no bad thing toward God, His ways are above our ways, we are not to lean on our own understanding, but on Him. For we were not there when He laid the foundations of the earth, we have limited understanding, seeing through a glass darkly, but someday face to face, we shall see Him as He really is, and many will be surprised. God loves us, never forget that, and in loving, and being Holy, He must be just, ther must be judgement, thing on it.