• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40 Examples of Christian Privilege

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
Ceridwen018 said:
Over 75% of Americans, (and growing), are Christian.
Really?? Where'd you get that statistic? I'm an American, and have found that it's more like 75% of the people I encounter are NOT Christians.
Ceridwen018 said:
It is common knowledge that "being Christian" is equated with "being normal" in many instances in this country.
Uh - common to whom? Are you saying it's "abnormal" to be a non-Christian? Normal people and non-normal people can be Christians. Both can be non-Christians as well. If what you mean by "normal" is that the majority of the population is Christian, then I am abnormal in my region :eek:
Ceridwen018 said:
In fact, as a non-Christian myself, I would have to say that I am actually slightly offended that so many Christians would be offended by this, not to mention so eager to deny it and keep living their lives as if nothing was wrong. "What right do they have to be offended," I ask myself, "when they are the very ones with the power and privilege!"
Well, it's your right to be offended, just as it is mine to be offended by this thread/list. Did you actually read my rebuttal to the list of accusations? If anything, I have "lost" privileges since becoming a Christian. As for power, I'm not sure what you're impying, but personally, I haven't gained nor expect to gain societal power because of my religion. On the other hand, I have definitely gained a little power that the Holy Spirit has given me over the evil one ;)
Ceridwen018 said:
That said, this thread was never meant to be offensive to anyone, least of whom the Christians.
Again, you are entitled to your opinion.
Ceridwen018 said:
In psychological terms, your, (the Christian posters who fit this description), automatic assumption that it was offensive, coupled with your immediate caustic replies only lends inself as evidence to possible underlying insecurities that you all may have over this very issue.
For my part, it was not an assumption and it was not automatic. There is nothing insecure about my Faith or this issue. If there was, I would remain silent. It should be fairly clear by now that I'm offended that someone posted a thread meant to be an attack on my religion.

My caustic replies were apologized for (obviously forgiveness is not part of your nature) and though my original opinion has not changed, I'm *trying* (unsuccessfully to many, I'm sure) to keep my responses less caustic :eek:
Ceridwen018 said:
Here's an idea: Why don't you guys spend a little more time logically explaining why the hypothesis stated in the OP is wrong, rather than whining that everyone is personally attacking you?
Hmmmm..... why don't you take your own advice to explain rather than whine :rolleyes:

Pah

Uber all member
Problems with moderating staff and their posting should be reported by email or PM - not as a post

StewpidLoser said:
Really?? Where'd you get that statistic? I'm an American, and have found that it's more like 75% of the people I encounter are NOT Christians.
Well, the region you live in is very different than most of America then. The following is from http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_tren.htm

religioustolerance said:
  • [font=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]The religious landscape in North American is overwhelmingly Christian: about three in four adults identify themselves as Christian; the next largest organized religious groups are Islam and Judaism at about 1%. [/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Although the importance of religion has been declining in developed countries, it has remained strong in the U.S. [font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]The United States has a higher level of church attendance than any other country which is "at a comparable level of development." [/font][/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica][font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]53% of Americans consider religions to be very[/font] important in their lives. This compares with 16% in Britain, 14% in France and 13% in Germany.[/font]
  • [font=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica][/font]

Let's look at each of the items from the list, one by one.

Pah said:
From http://pirate.shu.edu/~schlosle/cpexamples.htm - only the first 10 are presented

1. It is likely that state and federal holidays coincide with my religious practices, thereby having little to no impact on my job and/or education.
The only one I can think of is winter break, which coincides with Christmas.

2. I can talk openly about my religious practices without concern for how it will be received by others.
I don't think this is *true* for Christians per se, but I think it's *more true* for Christians than Muslims or Wiccans, for example (if you get what I'm saying). I think anyone who has some imagination will agree that you don't need to be nearly as concerned talking about what Church you go to as what Mosque you go to.

3. I can be sure to hear music on the radio and watch specials on television that celebrate the holidays of my religion.
That seems pretty much accurate. I don't think I've ever heard music on the radio or seen specials on TV that celebrate Ramadan, Yom Kippur, or any pagan holidays.

4. When told about the history of civilization, I am can be sure that I am shown people of my religion made it what it is.
This has not been the case in my experience. My teachers made sure to describe the deist beliefs of our Founding Fathers, the non-Christian philosophical beliefs of ancient philosophers like Plato and Aristotle, and the basis of democracy in the past republics of Athens, the Common Law of England, and the works of political philosophers. I would say there is definitely a Western bias in our history classrooms, but not a Christian bias per se.

5. I can worry about religious privilege without being perceived as “self-interested” or “self-seeking.”
I'm not sure I know what this means...I'll have to think about it.

6. I can have a “Jesus is Lord” bumper sticker or Icthus (Christian Fish) on my car and not worry about someone vandalizing my car because of it.
I would say that you're probably less likely to have a "Jesus is Lord" bumper sticker vandalized than something less popular like "Goddess bless America" or "Allah is Lord".

7. I can share my holiday greetings without being fully conscious of how it may impact those who do not celebrate the same holidays. Also, I can be sure that people are knowledgeable about the holidays of my religion and will greet me with the appropriate holiday greeting (e.g., Merry Christmas, Happy Easter, etc.).
Again, I'm not sure if the second part is true, but it's definitely *more true* for Christians than for Muslims or Jews or Pagans or Hindus. As for the first part...well gee, anyone--Christian or non--can share their holiday greetings without being fully conscious of how it may impact those who do not celebrate the same holidays. And furthermore, if you're bothered by someone saying "Merry Christmas" you've got your own issue to deal with.

8. I can probably assume that there is a universality of religious experience.
Hmm, no, I can't agree with this one. I don't see how Christians (in the US, at least) have the 'privilege' of assuming that there is a universality of religious experience any more than non-Christians.

9. I can deny Christian Privilege by asserting that all religions are essentially the same.
I don't see this as Christian privilege either. Anyone can assert that all religions are essentially the same, and many people would say that all religions are, in fact, essentially the same.

10. I probably do not need to learn the religious or spiritual customs of others, and I am likely not penalized for not knowing them.
I think this is equally true of non-Christians in this country. I don't see how non-Christians probably need to learn the religious or spiritual customs of others, nor do I see how non-Christians are likely penalized for not knowing them. Perhaps some explanation would help.

Pah

Uber all member
I agree with most of your assessments and think that broad brush, given by the list, should not apply to all Christians. But I have very few doubts that the list does not apply to all Christians.

You might be interested in this thread http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21641 where religious privilege is documented for Jewish and Christian holidays for Yom Kippur and the friday before and the monday after Easter

Bennettresearch

Politically Incorrect
Ceridwen018 said:
That said, this thread was never meant to be offensive to anyone, least of whom the Christians. In psychological terms, your, (the Christian posters who fit this description), automatic assumption that it was offensive, coupled with your immediate caustic replies only lends inself as evidence to possible underlying insecurities that you all may have over this very issue. I fail to understand why some people, whenever something with even the slightest connotation of negativity is said about them or their religion, feel the need to shout, "Persecution! Unfair! Insulting!"

Here's an idea: Why don't you guys spend a little more time logically explaining why the hypothesis stated in the OP is wrong, rather than whining that everyone is personally attacking you?
You summed it up here Cerid.

Try reading through all of the threads and see the fact every non christian group or other group with an agenda ultimately makes this claim. If Christians object to being typified in broad terms and with a list like this then look how you react. Commiserate about how everyone but Christians are victims. I think the underlying theme here is that a lot of the list seems like sour grapes because "they" don't have the power. Maybe if groups quit attacking religion and christianity so much, the christians might quit closing ranks and initiate the furhter recognition of differences and accomodate it more than they already have.

Scott1

Very well done Spinks... thank you.

Pah said:
A label of childish is not a denial of Christian privilege but it certainly demeans it. And I recognize that as your right. But in that "put down" you seek to preserve Christian privilege by making it small and sounding petty.
I think you misunderstand me Bob.... I have no desire to preserve "privilege" or anything like it... I just don't think the list you provided is a reasonable way to address the issue.

One more time: Topic: perfectly valid ------------------>List: garbage

You have assumed that others who have discussed it are unintelligent and unreasoning. That's just short of a personal attack on Ceridwen018, lilithu, and myself.
Not at all... that is the problem... we have a matter of importance and people I respect to partake in the discussion... the problem was and is the list you provided as a poor way to start the discussion.

These are the ones that come to mind that have discussed it - other have had comments in favor of our discussion, not to mention the frubals and PM's I've received.
It is not a popularity contest... I've been frubaled as well.... these frubals, although welcome, are as useless as your comment.

If you are to be believed, you really should speak to the issue with the intelligence and reason you demand of others.
Good advice... but like I said, I'd love to have a intelligent and reasoned discussion of "privilege" (which I detest) but that does not seem possible..... oh well, I'll bow out of this one.

My best to you and yours,

Scott

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ceridwen018 said:
I have a few things to say.

First of all, no one can deny the "Christian Privilege." You are all making a wonderful, (though I must admit, slightly humorous), attempt, but to no avail. In fact, I am shocked that anyone would even think to deny it. Over 75% of Americans, (and growing), are Christian. It is common knowledge that "being Christian" is equated with "being normal" in many instances in this country. The items that Pah listed in the OP are very real--one should sooner deny their own arm, or something equally ridiculous.

In fact, as a non-Christian myself, I would have to say that I am actually slightly offended that so many Christians would be offended by this, not to mention so eager to deny it and keep living their lives as if nothing was wrong. "What right do they have to be offended," I ask myself, "when they are the very ones with the power and privilege!"

That said, this thread was never meant to be offensive to anyone, least of whom the Christians. In psychological terms, your, (the Christian posters who fit this description), automatic assumption that it was offensive, coupled with your immediate caustic replies only lends inself as evidence to possible underlying insecurities that you all may have over this very issue. I fail to understand why some people, whenever something with even the slightest connotation of negativity is said about them or their religion, feel the need to shout, "Persecution! Unfair! Insulting!"

I wondered when you would wake up! :D

I am not Amerixcan, so perhaps I can have a more objective view of the whole topic.
I agree that the OP is not a slur on Christians; it is merely, from what I understand, a tru representative 'snapshot' of America.

Again, I can see the flip side of the coin; an American religious forum with so many non-theists, each eager to make their point - which is quite fair; I honestly begin to wonder if the high number of Christians in America is the reason why there aren't more Christians on this forum. Perhaps this forum attracts non-theists who see themselves as a minority, and want to have their day (which would be quite normal).

Here's an idea: Why don't you guys spend a little more time logically explaining why the hypothesis stated in the OP is wrong, rather than whining that everyone is personally attacking you ?
I agree partly with what you say here, but the coin flips both ways; when a theist relates what to him/her is a pretty 'normal' thought, you guys swoop down like a pack of vultures; I guess there is just a 'climate' of sensibilities here.......again, that is normal. But what is sad is when it has to be seen as an 'attack' by either side, when I am sure it is no such thing.

Personally, I don't see this thread as antagonistic..........;)