• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A "gay" Episcopal priest's view of marriage

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I long for the days when slavery had ended because of a biblical influence among the pagan ritualists, and blacks were emerging by their own sweat and were becoming respected.
Interestingly enough, those days never existed.
especially given that the Bible was used by the South to SUPPORT slavery...

I long for the days when real men married nice women because they liked the idea of having a family.
Real men?
As opposed to fake men?
care to define them?

What days were those?
Exactly.

No, you likely believe that the Bible supports "gay" marriage. That is twisting the truth ---- the Bible does no such thing. You likely accept that one's actions have no influence on what other's say or do. That is twisting the truth because if that were true, then advertisements and political campaigns would serve no practical purpose.
I bet you would not know the difference between the truth and your own backside even if they were labeled....

LittleNipper

Interestingly enough, those days never existed.
especially given that the Bible was used by the South to SUPPORT slavery...

Real men?
As opposed to fake men?
care to define them?

Exactly.

I bet you would not know the difference between the truth and your own backside even if they were labeled....

The slave owners tried to use the Bible to support slavery just like "gays" have tried to use the Bible to support their acts of abomination. Same difference ---- they were/are wrong. The Bible is very clear.

Zorro1227

The slave owners tried to use the Bible to support slavery just like "gays" have tried to use the Bible to support their acts of abomination. Same difference ---- they were/are wrong. The Bible is very clear.

What is with the word gay being in quotes? And I do not know any "gays" who use the Bible to support them :facepalm: Stop trying to speak for others.

LittleNipper

No it isn't.
The Bible flat out has no problems with owning slaves.
in fact, the Bible lays out some very specific rules concerning the ownership of slaves.
The Bible allowed slavery. If GOD didn't everyone who was a slave to some incedious habit would have to be eliminated.
Did the South follow those rules?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
No, you likely believe that the Bible supports "gay" marriage. That is twisting the truth ---- the Bible does no such thing. You likely accept that one's actions have no influence on what other's say or do. That is twisting the truth because if that were true, then advertisements and political campaigns would serve no practical purpose.

I too find it easier to refute the other person's arguments if I make them up for them, but I have too much self-respect to stoop to it. You apparently are not restricted by any such compunction.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

Indeed it is: "As for your male and female slaves whom you may have—you may acquire male and female slaves from the pagan nations that are around you." [Leviticus] There is no question that the Bible specifically authorizes slavery.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
The Bible allowed slavery. If GOD didn't everyone who was a slave to some incedious habit would have to be eliminated.
Did the South follow those rules?

Yes, they did. They acquired their slaves from foreign pagan nations, just as called for in their Bible.

Alceste

Vagabond
thestupiditburns.jpg

Alceste

Vagabond
Why?
He actually presented one, all you have done is bear false witness against the Bible.

It's highly unlikely little bigot is able to read the bible. It's a very difficult book which requires a higher-than-average level of reading comprehension and intelligence to read. As far as he can ever know, his impression of what it says is correct.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
It's highly unlikely little bigot is able to read the bible. It's a very difficult book which requires a higher-than-average level of reading comprehension and intelligence to follow the story. As far as he can ever know, his impression of what it says is correct.
lol

I have to agree.
I wonder, I have not seen him present a single verse, did I miss it or is he merely making declarations of what the Bible says with out supporting it?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
You better read the biblical rules for yourself.

I quoted it above. The Bible specifically and explicitly authorizes believers to buy slaves from foreign nations. Or what do you take this passage to mean:

'Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Smoke

Done here.
It seems rather that he was simply unable to form lasting romantic commitments, a fault to be seen in a large segment of the population. What's ridiculous is his attempt to make such a failing consistent with Christian faith. I suppose it's also okay to commit to one religion faithfully, then another, then another, then another. This may be a lot of things, but it's not Christian. It also emasculates the idea of fidelity. Serial monogomy can't be turned into faithfulness.
I think you've misread the quote. Admittedly, we're given precious little context to work with, since the point is to sensationalize Williams' remarks, but what little we have to work with doesn't justify this line of thought at all.

What Williams says in the snippet we have is that sexual exclusivity is not a requirement for a valid Christian marriage. That is, the statement assumes the existence of a lasting romantic commitment, but denies that sexual exclusivity is a necessary component of such a commitment.