• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Universe from Nothing?

gnostic

The Lost One
The context is this...ChristineM stated that a sun dial measures time. I asked her how does it measure time. You then replied to this question with the ROFL post. Since you appeared to want to get involved in this question, I put the question to you and I am getting all these weird incoherent replies about eternity, a finite universe, bacteria, non-relativistic eternity, living things, etc., etc..

I have never posted anything about a sun dial, please stop blaming me for you bs.
As far as I can tell, it was Idav who brought up "sun dial", not Christine.

So you are confusing who wrote what, ben.

gnostic

The Lost One
Oh, I have just notice your reply to Christine.

Your post didn't appear until I have already sent previous post. Sorry.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
That's correct, you said in post 4255 "There is no belief involved in stilling the mind, it is a religious practice."

In #4259 i replied "No, it is a practice, religion is only involved if you personally wish it to use it as a vehicle to achieve a result."
Please stop cherry picking

I later
#4338 ben d, Jul 29, 2017
provided a link that you claimed was irrelevant apparently because it provided information to prove your claim wrong and mine right.
The Varieties of Transcendent Experience

Over several later posts i provided links by zen organisations and masters indicating zen was not a religion.

Gng did provide one counter link (twice), you provided nothing but incredulity and foot stomping.

So please provide a reason why a/ you think transcendence a only a religious practice? And b/ why you claim zen to be a religion?

Your projection is noted...i have not slithered and slid, i have remained true to my statement. But there is one of us who has mocked, attempted sexual belittlement, misrepresented my wording and actually lied about what i posted?

Put those spelling police blue lights on it you want to gripe about spelling on an internet forum...Yes we can all make spelling errors, those with dyslexia are more prone. Do you realise that mockery of such disability was the reason i dumped religion for the snide, backbiting and hateful group they are, don't you?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.co...90e4460dc71446155ee03--witches-funny-****.jpg

Edit: the image seems to have failed. Copy and paste does work, perhaps a link will too.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.co...90e4460dc71446155ee03--witches-funny-****.jpg
Where in your link in your post #4287 does it say that still mind meditation is a not a religious practice. That is the point, the link in your later post is irrelevant unless it can back up your claim...stop wasting time!

Look, as an atheist it is natural you know little of religion, still mind meditation is not exclusive to Chan or Buddhism, it is a part of the Hindu traditions of India.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Nothing can be described as "no-thing" because it is formless, in that it has no form. Something comes from no-thing because nothingness is the infinite potential of the unmanifested reality. :)

Yay!

Having said that, I would say that there is no such 'something' that comes from anything. To think so is an illusion. Nothing has ever come from anything. It only appears to have done so. This 'material' world is maya, and now even Quantum Physics is pointing in that direction, as all 'particles' in the universe as now understood to be standing waves, created by energy fluctuations in their respective fields. So the only true Reality is the Source of No-Thing-Ness from which this illusion we call 'The Universe' is being projected. The compelling thing about it is that it is The Source that is playing itself as The Universe, in all its myriad forms, simultaneously.

"The Universe is The Absolute, as seen through the glass of Time, Space, and Causation"

Vivekenanda

godnotgod

Thou art That
Some folks practice meditation without any religious intent in mind, solely as a means of mind and body health. Others, like ben d, practice it as a means of spiritual transcendence, or divine union (yoga) in which case it is most certainly a religious practice. 'Religion' can be a practice, or a dogma, depending on how it is being defined. Practice is not a belief, since the mind is stilled, and it is the mind which formulates beliefs. As stated in the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali:

"Yoga (ie 'divine union') is the cessation of all of the activities of the mind"

In this kind of meditative practice, the subject/object split is merged, and only seeing via pure consciousness is present. It is on an altogether different level than mere thinking and beliefs. One is now at one with The Universe itself, in the state of non-duality.

gnostic

The Lost One
I can agree with the first part of your post about meditation can be used without religious "intent", however...
'Religion' can be a practice, or a dogma, depending on how it is being defined. Practice is not a belief, since the mind is stilled, and it is the mind which formulates beliefs

...sorry, but I have to disagree with the above quote.

Religious practices are still used on the basis of religious belief. You cannot untie the two, because they would go hand-in hand.

So, if the meditation or stilling the mind have "religious intent", then that would mean the believer is finding application for his religious belief.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I can agree with the first part of your post about meditation can be used without religious "intent", however...

Religious practices are still used on the basis of religious belief. You cannot untie the two, because they would go hand-in hand.

So, if the meditation or stilling the mind have "religious intent", then that would mean the believer is finding application for his religious belief.
A gold miner who believes there is gold to be found in them thar hills sets out find out if there is. Let's say he actually finds a motherlode, he no longer just believes it is true, he has proven it is true and belief is no long a factor.

It is the same with the religious practice of still mind meditation, in the beginning there may be a belief in the efficacy of such religious practice to realize the divine, but if and when the 'motherlode' is struck, there is no need of belief, one continues the religious practice of uniting with the divine reality to continue to 'grow', belief is not a factor.

godnotgod

Thou art That

No, gnostic. You are incorrect here. Certainly one can use religious beliefs and doctrine as a springboard to meditative states. But that is not what ben d is talking about. He is saying his meditation itself is a religious practice. You have to understand that in the mystical practices, the practice itself is the experience. He is telling us that his experience is transcendent, and that means transcendent of all dogma, beliefs, doctrines, and other conceptual understandings. This kind of meditation is the direct apprehension of Reality itself, with nothing in the way. The mind and its trappings have been stilled, and only seeing is present.

When we talk about 'pure consciousness', what we are referring to is simply that the consciousness is clear, without contamination from the thinking mind, and you well know that it is the mind which is the agent which formulates beliefs and doctrines.

You are confusing religion as it pertains to belief and dogma, with religion as it pertains to direct experience.

gnostic

The Lost One
A gold miner who believes there is gold to be found in them thar hills sets out find out if there is. Let's say he actually finds a motherlode, he no longer just believes it is true, he has proven it is true and belief is no long a factor.

It is the same with the religious practice of still mind meditation, in the beginning there may be a belief in the efficacy of such religious practice to realize the divine, but if and when the 'motherlode' is struck, there is no need of belief, one continues the religious practice of uniting with the divine reality to continue to 'grow', belief is not a factor.

No, gnostic. You are incorrect here. Certainly one can use religious beliefs and doctrine as a springboard to meditative states. But that is not what ben d is talking about. He is saying his meditation itself is a religious practice.

Praying is also religious practice too.

Sorry, but a person who find motherlode of gold, the gold can be seen by anyone if it is made public; the gold can be measured and weighed, and such. He can keep it stored or sell it to the highest bidder.

But it is not the same thing with you meditating and you have claimed that you have "still" your mind and reached transcendent state. But the question is, can anyone independently collaborate with your claims?

You may believe that your practice in meditation have reached transcendence, but no one can verify that you have, which make it a matter of belief.

Saying that it is not part of religious belief is like saying an apple is beef.

In religion, practice doesn't negate belief.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Praying is also religious practice too.

Sorry, but a person who find motherlode of gold, the gold can be seen by anyone if it is made public; the gold can be measured and weighed, and such. He can keep it stored or sell it to the highest bidder.

But it is not the same thing with you meditating and you have claimed that you have "still" your mind and reached transcendent state. But the question is, can anyone independently collaborate with your claims?

You may believe that your practice in meditation have reached transcendence, but no one can verify that you have, which make it a matter of belief.

Saying that it is not part of religious belief is like saying an apple is beef.

In religion, practice doesn't negate belief.
Gnostic, it was not a literal narrative, but an analogy meant to show how belief in realizing a goal is dropped when the goal has been realized, in that sense it works.

As to the question of verifying the state of samadhi, transcendence, etc., of course it has been realized by untold numbers of seekers, do some research on it, don't take my word for it. However you will never verify the state of samadhi personally unless you engage in an appropriate religious practice. It matters not that you do not accept the reality, it is only for those who seek it.

gnostic

The Lost One
Gnostic, it was not a literal narrative, but an analogy meant to show how belief in realizing a goal is dropped when the goal has been realized, in that sense it works.
I understand it was only analogy, and I understand what you were getting at.

But we have issues with each other's concept of what's real and what's not real.

Your analogy of a person of having struck gold, is true about his own experience, and I can understand it has got from belief to reality. But if he doesn't hide that he has the gold, then other people will see the gold too, thereby sharing the knowledge that the gold is real.

But that's not same with meditation to reach transcendent state of being, because I and other people cannot witness your experiences.

How do we tell you have higher state of being? How do we know that what you have experienced, is no more than an illusion, your maya?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I understand it was only analogy, and I understand what you were getting at.

But we have issues with each other's concept of what's real and what's not real.

Your analogy of a person of having struck gold, is true about his own experience, and I can understand it has got from belief to reality. But if he doesn't hide that he has the gold, then other people will see the gold too, thereby sharing the knowledge that the gold is real.

But that's not same with meditation to reach transcendent state of being, because I and other people cannot witness your experiences.

How do we tell you have higher state of being? How do we know that what you have experienced, is no more than an illusion, your maya?
Well gnostic, we have reached the point that I can't elucidate further as it will only be a finger pointing at the moon stuff and you want to know if the moon really exists.

gnostic

The Lost One
Well gnostic, we have reached the point that I can't elucidate further as it will only be a finger pointing at the moon stuff and you want to know if the moon really exists.
I don't need to know, because I already know that the moon exists...

...because I've been, and I've done that. o_O

:p

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I don't need to know, because I already know that the moon exists...

...because I've been, and I've done that. o_O

:p

Go forth my son, beware of the constraints of belief and disbelief...

Frock-off-Free-bird-from-cage-freedom1-450x387.jpg

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Where in your link in your post #4287 does it say that still mind meditation is a not a religious practice. That is the point, the link in your later post is irrelevant unless it can back up your claim...stop wasting time!

Look, as an atheist it is natural you know little of religion, still mind meditation is not exclusive to Chan or Buddhism, it is a part of the Hindu traditions of India.

I said it was a practice, ie,both religious and non religious, and provided a link (you claimed irrelevant) to validate my claim.

Hyou are the one claiming it is a religious practice at the expense of those non religious who do practice it

Go away urinating with your bs of my knowledge of religion, you have no clue to my history and experience with religion

gnostic

The Lost One
If everyone in this thread went on excursion to a cattle farm, and there are exactly 100 adult cows, then if each of us were to count it, we should all get a total of hundred cows.

To me, that's reality.

But if you say there are 50 of us in this thread, and you informed us that you have reached transcendent state through meditation, just how many of us will accept your claim?

One? Two? A dozen?

And how many of those who do accept your claim, have also reach that state of being?

To me, that's not reality.

It would only be reality if each of us can reach that state, regardless if we believe or not.

Of course, you can claim that we are all blinded by maya, but such a claim would be illogical.

godnotgod

Thou art That
.... I and other people cannot witness your experiences.

When you fall into a mountain lake, how do you know that the water is cold?

You can always go see for yourself, just as the sceptical prisoners in Plato's Cave can. But if you insist on bringing your baggage, best not go at all.

Ultimately, there is no demand, urgency, or necessity that you take the time to go look. It is like a refreshing mountain spring; you can stop to partake of its waters, or just move on. It makes no difference to the bubbling brook. It's OK either way.

Last edited:

godnotgod

Thou art That
And how many of those who do accept your claim, have also reach that state of being?

To me, that's not reality.

Does everyone who dream-sleeps eventually awaken?

When you are asleep, dreaming, you do not know of the awakened state. But upon awakening, it becomes perfectly clear that you had been dreaming.