• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion as method is too outdated to be discussed

Pogo

Sicilian woman from the seventies.

"I had two abortions, but we should avoid them, since now there is the pill.
I have been taking the pill, because I want no more children"

Guys,...the seventies....
they were more modern than today people. ;)
Oh, but you don't have the Catholic church telling you how bad sex and contraception is unless you are making babies.
OH, wait.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Oh, but you don't have the Catholic church telling you how bad sex and contraception is unless you are making babies.
OH, wait.
Honestly I think we are a very transgressive and sexually disinhibited country because we want to spite the Vatican. :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
One question: why do you think Europeans are all alike?
Or that we are like Americans?
I don't, but you apparently think that Europeans are all alike:

We are different. We speak of sex. We are not ashamed of speaking of sex with strangers. Let alone with friends.

Frankly, @fantome profane is right. I have no way of confirming whether your neighbour really exists... or even if you're really in Italy.

You say you're in Italy and that your neighbour, who's a prostitute, has never told you that she's had an abortion. Okay... but I have no way to tell if that's true.

Then you imply that if she had had an abortion, she would have definitely told you... which I think is a bad leap even if you're being 100% sincere. You have no way to tell if that's true.

Pogo

Honestly I think we are a very transgressive and sexually disinhibited country because we want to spite the Vatican. :)
Yeah, Catholics pay lip service just like they have for centuries but they are wild behind that.
It is the Religious Prudes that couldn't hack Europe that got us started on the wrong foot and we haven't had 2 millennia to work around them yet. :)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Well said.
That is absolutely nonsensical.
How the ones who are against abortion are often the same people who are against available (or even free) contraception.
I agree, but it is a fact. And we can show with statistics how wrong that they are. The Republicans oppose Planned Parenthood because they offer abortions. They ignore even the name of the organization. Their number one goal is to plan for pregnancy when people want it. Therefore they do far more work in supplying cheap or free contraception and instructions on how to use various contraceptives properly. As a result communities with Planned Parenthood clinics have lower abortion rates than similar ones that do not. The Republicans would cut off their nose to spite their face at times.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I agree, but it is a fact. And we can show with statistics how wrong that they are. The Republicans oppose Planned Parenthood because they offer abortions. They ignore even the name of the organization. Their number one goal is to plan for pregnancy when people want it. Therefore they do far more work in supplying cheap or free contraception and instructions on how to use various contraceptives properly. As a result communities with Planned Parenthood clinics have lower abortion rates than similar ones that do not. The Republicans would cut off their nose to spite their face at times.
I think they are more opposed to the entire idea of Title X.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I have been taking that pill for years. It's artificial hormones, etinilestradiol or other kinds of estradiol.
If I get side effects, I will not really care.
Another side effect is liver cancer.
Life is full of risks...
But I guess an unwanted pregnancy is a much problematic risk than getting heart failure or liver cancer. :)

It's a bit old, and I'm guessing you don't do podcasts based on RF recommendations (which is fine) but a decent discussion on this starts at minute 23, goes for about 15 minutes.

[Lost Debate] Ep 113 | Rent Control, Birth Control, ESAs #lostDebate
Lost Debate - Ep 113 | Rent Control, Birth Control, ESAs - Podcast Addict via @PodcastAddict

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
I believe that nowadays abortion has gained an oversized importance in the political debate, especially in the ongoing presidential campaign.

After all, Trump has stated that abortion can be a solution to extreme and rare cases, and each state should determine those cases. https://www.reuters.com/world/us/tr...ned-by-us-states-gives-no-details-2024-04-08/

Nevertheless I believe we are not in the seventies any more. We are in the twenties of the 21st century and medicine has made giant leaps, since then.
Nowadays, it's almost impossible to have an unwanted pregnancy with all the countless contraception methods available in wealthy countries like the US.

So...really...I am not understanding why abortion is still an issue.
I consider it something very, very outdated as method and as topic.
You said the keys words..."its political".
It stays a political issue and is put up front every two years.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I don't, but you apparently think that Europeans are all alike:

Frankly, @fantome profane is right. I have no way of confirming whether your neighbour really exists... or even if you're really in Italy.

You say you're in Italy and that your neighbour, who's a prostitute, has never told you that she's had an abortion. Okay... but I have no way to tell if that's true.

Then you imply that if she had had an abortion, she would have definitely told you... which I think is a bad leap even if you're being 100% sincere. You have no way to tell if that's true.
One question: do you believe that all the women in the world have had an abortion at least once in their life?

nameless1

I believe that nowadays abortion has gained an oversized importance in the political debate, especially in the ongoing presidential campaign.

After all, Trump has stated that abortion can be a solution to extreme and rare cases, and each state should determine those cases. https://www.reuters.com/world/us/tr...ned-by-us-states-gives-no-details-2024-04-08/

Nevertheless I believe we are not in the seventies any more. We are in the twenties of the 21st century and medicine has made giant leaps, since then.
Nowadays, it's almost impossible to have an unwanted pregnancy with all the countless contraception methods available in wealthy countries like the US.

So...really...I am not understanding why abortion is still an issue.
I consider it something very, very outdated as method and as topic.
Well, human rights watch, amnesty intl, the American medical association, physicians for human rights, United nations, world health org disagree with you and Donald Gump
You're right.
But I was speaking of medicine.
It really seems we are still like in the Middle Ages...given that so many people can't avoid unwanted pregnancies.
Hormonal pill, morning-after-pill...IUD...

I mean... prostitutes never get abortions and yet they can have up to 20 men a day.
How is that?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I observe from your posts that the right to abortion
isn't valued. But we who value this threatened right
say that discussion is extremely important.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I observe from your posts that the right to abortion
isn't valued. But we who value this threatened right
say that discussion is extremely important.
But perhaps abortion is supposed to be the tip of the iceberg of something much more serious that should be an essential topic in the presidential campaign: free universal healthcare for the US.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
But perhaps abortion is supposed to be the tip of the iceberg of something much more serious that should be an essential topic in the presidential campaign: free universal healthcare for the US.

I think that is most definitely an essential topic, but so is the issue of abortion rights. I don't know if there's any link between the two issues, but it has been my observation that the factions which oppose abortion rights also tend to oppose government social services and the idea of free universal healthcare. They don't always fall into the same groups, but there is significant overlap.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
More whataboutism, eh.
Why post a thread about abortion,
& then derail your own thread?
Watch this video.
The most squalid video I've seen, about abortion.
You know what I find utterly squalid?
- That women of her age have unwanted pregnancies...
- and there are men who find them so attractive to feel the urge to get them pregnant.

Am I wicked person just for speaking my mind?