• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Acts of violence in the name of the Baha’i Faith

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Many Hindus, Buddhists, Jains are strict vegetarians and have survived for milleniums. So I wouldn't say it is an extreme cultural view of diet and unnatual.

Vegetarian diet actually have been considered healthier as incidence of heart and cardiovascular diseases , cancer are comparatively lower for vegetarians as opposed to nonvegetarians.

Research has also shown that vegetarianism is associated with lower incidence of cancer, cardiovascular diseases and better immune system.

http://www.pcrm.org/health/health-topics/foods-for-cancer-prevention

Vegetarianism can reduce risk of heart disease by up to a third | University of Oxford

And it is also great for the environment, and helps reduce global warming.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-vegetarianism-dangerous-global-warming#img-1

How going vegetarian will help save the world

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar: We should stop polluting our planet. Say no to plastic, Use as little plastic as possible. Recycle..Use recycled things. Use chemical free shampoos and soaps as far as possible. Go organic, I would recommend everyone to become vegetarian. You know, if we pay attention on the consumption that takes place to produce one non-vegetarian meal, feeding the animal etc.., it is equivalent to 400 vegetarian meals. So, I recommend everyone to turn vegetarian. Environmentalists say that if even 10 percent of the population turns vegetarian, we will not have the problem of this green house effect.

So, even from a secular perspective, you can see that vegetarianism can contribute a lot.

Imho, vegetarianism also cultivates a culture of non-violence and sensitivity, which are potent qualities or virtues in itself and necessary for a healthy human society.
I thought the Baha'i Faith believed that in the future people will adopt a vegetarian diet?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Baha'i have always been a small minority, with little political power, or even the means to form an army. Any groups in similar situations, have been non-violent more out of necessity for survival than anything. But as the saying goes, power corrupts, so it remains to be seen what would happen if such a group were to get into power.

The History of the Faith shows how this unfolds.

In the time of the Bab there were mighty battles as plain every day Babi defended their Faith under Muslim law. The Babi Law was not implemented and subject to the approval of Baha'u'llah who was yet to declare His Message.

Hundreds of Babi men and women in a couple of sieges on forts, fought off thousands of trained soldiers with victory after victory. The only way they were defeated, was by lies and deception by the Muslims giving false oaths on the Quran.

When Baha'u'llah revealed the Law that Holy War was removed from the book, no Baha'i took up arms to defend their Faith and that is the Law all will follow.

There is guidance about being called up to fight in defence forces.

Regards Tony

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
If, by chance, the Baha'is become the majority in a country, they wouldn't have a Baha'i leader in the government? Because they couldn't let a Baha'i run for a political office? Yet, they'd have their own religious governing body, the Spiritual Assemblies, dealing with issues within the Baha'i Faith?

There is no chance. Not unless a bunch migrate to some very small Pacific Island.
But you could always just not declare or 'undeclare' and be totally a Baha'i sympathiser, a puppet on a string as it is today in many places, with other people actually in charge. We never really know who's running a country anyway.

But I suspect we will hear the very vague ... 'in the future'. That more or less covers all possible scenarios and still is possibly accurate.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The History of the Faith shows how this unfolds.

No it doesn't, in my view. History shows something much more akin to 'The Rise and Fall of ________." History shows ebbs and flows. The Baha'i faith has peaked and is accelerating downward. Over the hill, as the apt metaphor so describes the ebbs and flows of such small faiths.

An example .... there are many more. An ex-Baha'i will probably write one on Baha'i soon enough. It's just a matter of time.

The Rise and Fall of the Church of Scientology

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If, by chance, the Baha'is become the majority in a country, they wouldn't have a Baha'i leader in the government? Because they couldn't let a Baha'i run for a political office? Yet, they'd have their own religious governing body, the Spiritual Assemblies, dealing with issues within the Baha'i Faith?

The way it unfolds in the future is hard to envisage today.

I see that it will eventually be a majority decision.

Regards Tony

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There is ample guidance as to how this will unfold.

It will be personal choice.

Regards Tony

I was reading an article or a discussion the other day on a Baha'i only forum (supposedly open but questioners get banned right away) and they were discussing what to do about the declining membership. One chap actually said that 'it's because we don't proselytise enough. Many of the people who leave give testimony that the reason they left is because of far too mch emphasis on proselytising. Do you think he'll figure it out.

Anyways, declining enrollment and and people leaving was being addressed, which I saw as a good thing actually, for Baha'i. I do think it's a far better choice than it's predecessor, Islam, at least radical Islam, and hope they are able to figure something out. As they say, admitting you have a problem is the first step towards solving the problem. Of course there were the hardwired people there that were objecting to any hint of having a problem, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Just being considerate to your wish not to read quotes.

There is ample guidance as how this will unfold.

Regards Tony

I diddn\t quote anything. So what I was referring to was my own quote of 'in the future'. Tony, I certain do think you should read what other people write.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Separaation of religion and secular state would remain the rule, and non-Baha'is are not obligated to follow Baha'i spiritual laws.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I thought the Baha'i Faith believed that in the future people will adopt a vegetarian diet?

Yes, voluntarily as humanity spiritually and possibly physically evolves. Because of the extremes of climate and many diverse cultures and diets it is not realistic for Baha'is to universally have a vegan vegetarian diet.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I was reading an article or a discussion the other day on a Baha'i only forum (supposedly open but questioners get banned right away) and they were discussing what to do about the declining membership. One chap actually said that 'it's because we don't proselytise enough. Many of the people who leave give testimony that the reason they left is because of far too mch emphasis on proselytising. Do you think he'll figure it out.

Anyways, declining enrollment and and people leaving was being addressed, which I saw as a good thing actually, for Baha'i. I do think it's a far better choice than it's predecessor, Islam, at least radical Islam, and hope they are able to figure something out. As they say, admitting you have a problem is the first step towards solving the problem. Of course there were the hardwired people there that were objecting to any hint of having a problem, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

This has been predicted that many will turn away from their Faith and Baha'i is not exempt. It is the ebb and flow of Faith. Always a very low tide before the King tide.

I will start an OP tonight about how Baha'u'llah indicated the future will unfold. That way we can look at the big picture rather than the snippets. We can also see it in 150 years that some of it has happened.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I diddn\t quote anything. So what I was referring to was my own quote of 'in the future'. Tony, I certain do think you should read what other people write.

Sorry I am busy and the reply must have been worded so you missunderstood what I said.

I Will try to find more time later today.

Regards Tony

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sorry I am busy and the reply must have been worded so you missunderstood what I said.

I Will try to find more time later today.

Regards Tony

All good, and thank you for not doing unrelenting quoting. Now if only I could convince ______. Nah, that's too much to ask.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member

They tried "mass teaching" in the 70's. A nice presentation with a charismatic speaker, and pictures of happy faces from around the world, and some music. All people had to do is sign a card declaring their belief... all in one night. So much for personal investigation of the truth. I'm not sure, but I think most dropped out. Maybe one of the U.S. Baha'is knows whatever happened to those that signed up during those Mass Teaching projects.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Separaation of religion and secular state would remain the rule, and non-Baha'is are not obligated to follow Baha'i spiritual laws.
Even if they are in the majority? A Baha'i wouldn't be allowed to run for an office? So non-Baha'is, the minority, would be governing the Baha'is?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
This has been predicted that many will turn away from their Faith and Baha'i is not exempt. It is the ebb and flow of Faith. Always a very low tide before the King tide.

I will start an OP tonight about how Baha'u'llah indicated the future will unfold. That way we can look at the big picture rather than the snippets. We can also see it in 150 years that some of it has happened.

Regards Tony
Oh good, I'll be able to ask more of my Book of Revelation questions again.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Even if they are in the majority? A Baha'i wouldn't be allowed to run for an office? So non-Baha'is, the minority, would be governing the Baha'is?

Baha'is can only run for secular government office as an independent in a non-partisan election. The Houses of Justice would be sufficient, except they would have to give priority to the secular laws

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
They tried "mass teaching" in the 70's. A nice presentation with a charismatic speaker, and pictures of happy faces from around the world, and some music. All people had to do is sign a card declaring their belief... all in one night. So much for personal investigation of the truth. I'm not sure, but I think most dropped out. Maybe one of the U.S. Baha'is knows whatever happened to those that signed up during those Mass Teaching projects.

I became a Baha'i in this period, but not as a result of mass teaching. I participated in the follow up and pressure from traditional churches to recant was immense. Some stayed some did not. The active Baha'is more than doubled in numbers particularly in South Carolina and among Native Americans,