• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam and his wife died physically after eating the Forbidden Fruit. Genesis 2:17 is Literal.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
By the fact that there were minimum three authors of the Genesis at different times, who were also most likely goat-herders too?
It is true there were multiple authors, but not likely goat herders. The Pentateuch was compiled by lierate Hebrew priests after 600 BCE by both those that returned from exile, and some that remained in the Levant. They combined their sources, some Canaanite/Ugarit, Some Babylonian/Sumerian, some local Hebrew traditions and remembered traditions and history. Much of the history was created history and not historical fact such as the Noah Flood.

In the period between 800-600 BCE the Hebrew written language evolved from Proto-Canaanite/ Phoenician alphabet,

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Funny part is, light exists during the day and night, just that some wavelengths are not visible.

Just as the night time of earth would not exist if both the sun and earth did not exist before. So technically, God would have had to make the sun before the light and the earth would already have to be rotating for the night to exist.
Evidently these luminaries did not always shine light on the earth as it now does.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Since Moses knew night from day, I figure he also knew what each day of creation consisted of. And, I don't think he figured it out for himself. I believe Someone was helping him understand it.
Moses was a fictional character. How could he "know" anything that the author did not know?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Evidently these luminaries did not always shine light on the earth as it now does.
Hey! Hope you’re well.

I think you meant to say the surface of the Earth.
Right?

Because ever since the Earth’s creation, light from the Sun was shining on it. It’s just that the Earth’s dense & cloudy atmosphere in its early existence didnt allow for very much light to reach its surface…. At least not enough to identify the sources of those lights.

That’s why two different Hebrew words for light are used: “ohr” & “ma•ohr.”

Ajax

OK, perhaps we can go over the word 'day' a little more. In the first instance, when God separated the light from the darkness, He did call the light day and the darkness he called night.
:laughing::laughing: It's so funny that for thousands of years all Churches and Christians believed that they were normal days, but as soon as science showed that the earth is much older than 6-7000 years, then all of a sudden apologists started supporting the "long days" scenario.. It's like a curse in that in all your life you will have to try and adapt the new findings of the science to the religion.

Anyway, the ignorant authors of Genesis 1 meant normal days beyond any doubt. If God created light by just saying "let there be light" He wouldn't need more that one second. Also the 4th Command reads "“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy..... . For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.”

Ajax

No, @YoursTrue stated it correctly, that “the word day does not have to mean 24 hours.”

Why are you trying to find fault, where there is none?
Do 1000 years (long day) have one evening and one morning?
Also God's 4th command must be false then...
Because ever since the Earth’s creation, light from the Sun was shining on it.
Earth, light, sky, land and plants were supposedly made in the first three days, the sun and all other planets were made on the fourth day.:laughing:

Ajax

Since Moses knew night from day, I figure he also knew what each day of creation consisted of. And, I don't think he figured it out for himself. I believe Someone was helping him understand it.
It's irrelevant, because Moses and Exodus are fictional.
In the Cairo Museum, there is the Merneptah stele, which describes the campaign of Pharaoh Merneptah at the end of the 13th century. The inscription tells of a destructive Egyptian campaign in the Canaan, during which a people named Israel were decimated to the extent that the pharaoh boasted that Israel's "seed is not".
Israelites (Hebrews) were always living in Canaan.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
Adam and his wife died *physically* after partaking of the Forbidden Fruit. Moreover, it was on that very day...

Genesis 2:17
"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."

• Day means Day, as in twenty-four hours or less.
  • Surely Die means Surely Die, as in physical death.
As far as I know, I am the only person on the planet that believes the above verse.

Both Christians and Non-Christians alike will take away and add words to the verse to make it state something it does not.

Some examples include...
  • Spiritual Death: Adam and his wife 'died Spiritually'.
  • Begin to Age: The 'aging process' for Adam and his wife 'began ticking'.
  • Day is a Thousand Years: Adam and his wife 'died within a thousand-year timeframe'.
Note that taking away and adding to the Word of God is of course a very big no-no, yet everyone does it with Genesis 2:17.

There is no need however, to alter the verse. Genesis 2:17 agrees with the entire Bible when taken literally.

In fact, it is the *only* way in which it does! :)
Then how is this possible if they were already dead, as in corpses?

Genesis 4: 1,2 Now Adam had sexual relations with his wife Eve, and she became pregnant. When she gave birth to Cain, she said: “I have produced a male child with the help of Jehovah.” 2 Later she again gave birth, to his brother Abel.

Colt

Adam and his wife died *physically* after partaking of the Forbidden Fruit. Moreover, it was on that very day...

Genesis 2:17
"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."

• Day means Day, as in twenty-four hours or less.
  • Surely Die means Surely Die, as in physical death.
As far as I know, I am the only person on the planet that believes the above verse.

Both Christians and Non-Christians alike will take away and add words to the verse to make it state something it does not.

Some examples include...
  • Spiritual Death: Adam and his wife 'died Spiritually'.
  • Begin to Age: The 'aging process' for Adam and his wife 'began ticking'.
  • Day is a Thousand Years: Adam and his wife 'died within a thousand-year timeframe'.
Note that taking away and adding to the Word of God is of course a very big no-no, yet everyone does it with Genesis 2:17.

There is no need however, to alter the verse. Genesis 2:17 agrees with the entire Bible when taken literally.

In fact, it is the *only* way in which it does! :)
I believe that the 2 incarnate celestial beings Adam and Eve, who came from another world to our previously populated, evolved and spiritually fallen world, originally had immortality status. That is to say that they could partake of the leaves of a special plant, "the tree of life", and live on indefinitely, but once they were in default, doing a big no-no, sin, they lost the use of that plant and eventually died of the deterioration of their bodies just as humas already experienced. In other words, their sin brought death specifically to them! Death or translation is normal for humans. Adam and Eve were super-human.

YoursTrue

Do 1000 years (long day) have one evening and one morning?
Also God's 4th command must be false then...

Earth, light, sky, land and plants were supposedly made in the first three days, the sun and all other planets were made on the fourth day.:laughing:
It depends how you 'see' it. I do not see that it means the sun, other planets were created on the fourth day but that these were made to have light enabled for the earth.
"And God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to distinguish between the day and the night, and let them be signs to mark the seasons and days and years. 15And let them serve as lights in the expanse of the sky to shine upon the earth.” And it was so.
16God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night. And He made the stars as well.
17God set these lights in the expanse of the sky to shine upon the earth, 18to preside over the day and the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good.
19And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day."

Anyway, I hope you have a good day.

YoursTrue

It's irrelevant, because Moses and Exodus are fictional.
In the Cairo Museum, there is the Merneptah stele, which describes the campaign of Pharaoh Merneptah at the end of the 13th century. The inscription tells of a destructive Egyptian campaign in the Canaan, during which a people named Israel were decimated to the extent that the pharaoh boasted that Israel's "seed is not".
Israelites (Hebrews) were always living in Canaan.
Since you believe that Moses is fictional, and the stele was telling the truth, and I realize many believe as you do, there can really be no discussion about this between you and me.

YoursTrue

Hey! Hope you’re well.

I think you meant to say the surface of the Earth.
Right?

Because ever since the Earth’s creation, light from the Sun was shining on it. It’s just that the Earth’s dense & cloudy atmosphere in its early existence didnt allow for very much light to reach its surface…. At least not enough to identify the sources of those lights.

That’s why two different Hebrew words for light are used: “ohr” & “ma•ohr.”
OK, thanks for that.

Ajax

It depends how you 'see' it. I do not see that it means the sun, other planets were created on the fourth day but that these were made to have light enabled for the earth.
"And God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to distinguish between the day and the night, and let them be signs to mark the seasons and days and years. 15And let them serve as lights in the expanse of the sky to shine upon the earth.” And it was so.
16God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night. And He made the stars as well.
17God set these lights in the expanse of the sky to shine upon the earth, 18to preside over the day and the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good.
19And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day."
Are there any other planets whose luminosity can give a day light effect on Earth apart from the sun?:laughing::laughing:
I have heard a lot of excuses about the fourth day, but nothing like this...:laughing: Oh, well.. have a nice day...:laughing::laughing: