• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam and his wife died physically after eating the Forbidden Fruit. Genesis 2:17 is Literal.

Audie

Veteran Member
Lest anyone forgets, it was God who knew prematurely that A & E would eat that nasty old fruit. God was a victim of his own omniscience. An omniscience that informed God what A & E would do before they did it! It can be concluded therefore that God planned to fabricate the entire temptation affair to the detriment of mankind!
It were people fabricated the whole story

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I like the idea found at 1st Corinthians 15:24-26 because there we are informed that the time is coming when enemy death will be No more
No one dies in Heaven. The death problem is on Earth. Eliminate death on Earth and that alone gives me a stress free life
To wake up each morning and knowing I will Not die is a stress reliever
And because we are promised that No one will say, " I am sick......." - Isaiah 33:24 - we will be healthy
Jesus is coming to bring ' healing ' to earth's nations ( us ) - Revelation 22:2
Come Lord Jesus - Rev. 22:20
Interesting that we are born as we are. We stay who we are. I was thinking that when the man who couldn't walk went to the well for healing he lamented that he had no one to lower him in the pool. Naturally he was sad. But what happened?
John 5:6-9, And there was a certain man there who had had thirty-eight years of his disease; 6 seeing him lying there, and finding that he had had a long time of it, Jesus said to him “Do you want to get well?”
7 The sick man answered him “Sir, I do not have a man to throw me into the pool when the water is disturbed, and while I am coming somebody else gets down ahead of me.” 8 Jesus said to him “Rise, take up your pallet, and walk.” 9 And at once the man became well and took up his pallet and walked."

Can you imagine how that man felt? When someone does an act of kindness towards another, such as a stranger opening a door for a handicapped person, doesn't that handicapped person feel emotionally better? Of course. Just imagine him being healed! And how the word about Jesus got around as well as the opposition from religious leaders.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Adam and his wife died *physically* after partaking of the Forbidden Fruit. Moreover, it was on that very day...

Genesis 2:17
"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."

• Day means Day, as in twenty-four hours or less.
  • Surely Die means Surely Die, as in physical death.
As far as I know, I am the only person on the planet that believes the above verse.

Both Christians and Non-Christians alike will take away and add words to the verse to make it state something it does not.

Some examples include...
  • Spiritual Death: Adam and his wife 'died Spiritually'.
  • Begin to Age: The 'aging process' for Adam and his wife 'began ticking'.
  • Day is a Thousand Years: Adam and his wife 'died within a thousand-year timeframe'.
Note that taking away and adding to the Word of God is of course a very big no-no, yet everyone does it with Genesis 2:17.

There is no need however, to alter the verse. Genesis 2:17 agrees with the entire Bible when taken literally.

In fact, it is the *only* way in which it does! :)
Um, reading Genesis, neither Cain nor Abel were born in the garden, and yet the fruit was eaten in the garden. If those nasty fruit eaters died immediately, how do you explain that they subsequently had children, after being expelled?

And of course, if they didn't have children, how do you think you got here?

YoursTrue

Um, reading Genesis, neither Cain nor Abel were born in the garden, and yet the fruit was eaten in the garden. If those nasty fruit eaters died immediately, how do you explain that they subsequently had children, after being expelled?

I'll wait for the answer to your questions before I may say something ...:)

River Sea

You might want to look at Revelation chapter 21, verses 1-5. It's a brief recap of what the Bible says the future will bring. Wonderful life.
Revelation 21:1-5
New International Version
A New Heaven and a New Earth
21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”

@Bharat Jhunjhunwala

What are your thoughts about this?
How come this story shows a bride for?
How come it claims a new Jerusalem for?
Who wrote Revelations?
Israel means Isha.
Isha means what?
Is Isha Jerusalem?

@YoursTrue
What are your thoughts about this person who wrote Revelations?
Have you ever visited Jerusalem before? If you had, what was that like visiting?
Do Jews and Muslims think this new Jerusalem will happen?

Last edited:

YoursTrue

Revelation 21:1-5
New International Version
A New Heaven and a New Earth
21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”

@Bharat Jhunjhunwala

What are your thoughts about this?
How come this story shows a bride for?
How come it claims a new Jerusalem for?
Who wrote Revelations?
Israel means Isha.
Isha means what?
Is Isha Jerusalem?

@YoursTrue
What are your thoughts about this person who wrote Revelations?
Have you ever visited Jerusalem before? If you had, what was that like visiting?
Do Jews and Muslims think this new Jerusalem will happen?
Interesting last question. Yes I have visited Jerusalem before I believed in God. My family took me. It was, of course, interesting. I saw the remnants of the temple and some other things like the Masada. Many religious Jews have various viewpoints about this. It's a good question to ask Muslims. The Bible says it will happen. I studied with Jehovah's Witnesses for a while before I decided this was the truth and my home base regarding Jesus. Jehovah's Witnesses are from various backgrounds including Jewish and Muslim backgrounds in Israel. They are at peace with one another. Thank you for asking, you ask good questions.
As for the person who wrote Revelation, perhaps we can discuss this at greater length another time, it's rather another subject. I accept it as truthful and inspired of God. Although symbolic. It does require understanding however.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Adam and his wife died *physically* after partaking of the Forbidden Fruit. Moreover, it was on that very day...

"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."

As far as I know, I am the only person on the planet that believes the above verse.
"Believe" in what sense? For a start, it's a folktale, not history. For seconds, the official version of the tale, Genesis 2-3, says you're wrong
Both Christians and Non-Christians alike will take away and add words to the verse to make it state something it does not.

Some examples include...
  • Day is a Thousand Years: Adam and his wife 'died within a thousand-year timeframe'.
If your point is that the account in Genesis 2-3, indeed the Tanakh generally, says nothing of the kind, you're correct on all counts.

jimb

Premium Member
How do you interpret Genesis 1:29?
Genesis 1:29??? You mean this? "Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food."

jimb

Premium Member

Some examples include...
Note that taking away and adding to the Word of God is of course a very big no-no, yet everyone does it with Genesis 2:17.

There is no need however, to alter the verse. Genesis 2:17 agrees with the entire Bible when taken literally.

You would do well to use another translation other than the King James translation, which was written more the 400 years ago in a language that is no longer in use anywhere in the world (outside of some churches).

Here is Genesis 2:15-17 in other translations...

"The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. 16 And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.” NIV

"The Lord God took the man and placed him in the orchard in Eden to care for it and to maintain it. Then the Lord God commanded the man, “You may freely eat fruit from every tree of the orchard, but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when [see footnote] you eat from it you will surely die.” NET

[footnote: Or “in the very day, as soon as.” If one understands the expression to have this more precise meaning, then the following narrative presents a problem, for the man does not die physically as soon as he eats from the tree. In this case one may argue that spiritual death is in view. If physical death is in view here, there are two options to explain the following narrative: (1) The following phrase “You will surely die” concerns mortality which ultimately results in death (a natural paraphrase would be, “You will become mortal”), or (2) God mercifully gave man a reprieve, allowing him to live longer than he deserved."

This clearly demonstrates the meaning of the verses, i.e., the KJV "day" should not be interpreted literally. When an old person says "... in my day", do you think that s/he lied just one day?

Leave the KJV interpretation to the experts in 17th Century Englyshe and use a Bible written for you in your native language.

jimb

Premium Member

Some examples include...

You would do well to use another translation other than the King James translation, which was written more the 400 years ago in a language that is no longer in use anywhere in the world (outside of some churches).

Here is Genesis 2:15-17 in other translations...

"The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. 16 And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.” NIV

"The Lord God took the man and placed him in the orchard in Eden to care for it and to maintain it. Then the Lord God commanded the man, “You may freely eat fruit from every tree of the orchard, but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when [see footnote] you eat from it you will surely die.” NET

[footnote: Or “in the very day, as soon as.” If one understands the expression to have this more precise meaning, then the following narrative presents a problem, for the man does not die physically as soon as he eats from the tree. In this case one may argue that spiritual death is in view. If physical death is in view here, there are two options to explain the following narrative: (1) The following phrase “You will surely die” concerns mortality which ultimately results in death (a natural paraphrase would be, “You will become mortal”), or (2) God mercifully gave man a reprieve, allowing him to live longer than he deserved."

This clearly demonstrates the meaning of the verses, i.e., the KJV "day" should not be interpreted literally. When an old person says "... in my day", do you think that s/he lived just one day?

Leave the KJV interpretation to the experts in 17th Century Englyshe and use a Bible written for you in your native language.

jimb

Premium Member
Hi @McBell

Cain and Abel were born after the Fall, in other words they were born after the Second Adam, along with his newly created wife Eve, were expelled from their previous estate.

On a related note, Cain was the first reincarnation of Satan into a Human form. Satan was turned into Male Seed in this verse...

Genesis 3:14
"And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life"

Milk of the Word: Satan was turned into a scary snake. <- Taught to Children
Meat of the Word: Satan was turned into what we now call Sperm. <- Taught to Adults

Most Christians are still on the Milk. They are never taught the Adult Education version of Scripture.

For example, 'Dust' is symbolic of Seed and what Life is made of. In other words, DNA...

Genesis 28:14
"And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in thee and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed."

After God turned Satan into Male Seed, he was placed into the loins of Mankind. Thus, every Male on the planet has the so called 'Seed of the Serpent'.

When the Second Adam planted his Seed into the fertile Earth of Eve's womb, the result was Cain, i.e., 'Thorns and Thistles'...

Genesis 3:18
"Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field"

The above verse is a euphemism for bearing Children. God cursed the ground...

Genesis 3:17
"And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life"

The phrase 'cursed is the ground' has more than one meaning. It can refer to the 'Lowest Parts of the Earth' where you and I came from...

Psalms 139:15
"My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth."

The 'Earthen Vessels' of Man has been corrupted.

USE ANOTHER TRANSLATION OTHER THAN THE KING JAMES! Clearly you lack the expertise to correctly understand early 17th Century Englyshe.

Hint: humans are formed from sperm and eggs, not seeds. Eve's womb (and every woman's womb) is not "earth"; it is a part of her body.

Hint: Thorns and thistles are not humans; Eve never gave birth to plants.

Hint: "cursed is the ground" means one thing only: the ground is cursed.

Genesis 3:17-19 [with my emphases], "But to Adam he said,

“Because you obeyed your wife
and ate from the tree about which I commanded you,
‘You must not eat from it,’
the ground is cursed because of you;
in painful toil you will eat of it [not Eve's womb] all the days of your life.
It [not Eve's womb] will produce thorns and thistles for you,
but you will eat the grain of the field.
By the sweat of your brow you will eat food
until you return to the ground,
for out of it you were taken;
for you are dust, and to dust you will return.”

YoursTrue

Our ancestors and all life has died for billions of years,

The belief in an ancient world free form death suffering and sin is an unresolvable problem of ancient mythology
That's what those not believing what the Bible says believe. Have a good day. Bye for now.

YoursTrue

The belief in an ancient world free form death suffering and sin is an unresolvable problem of ancient mythology
Have you expressed your viewpoint as to what you consider the future to be?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
We do find the word 'day' at Genesis 2:17 and often a 24-hour day comes to mind
but just like in the English language the word ' day ' has shades of meaning
For example: Grandfather's day is more than a 24-hour day
Please notice Genesis 2:4 because ALL of the 6 creative days are summed up by the single word 'day '
In God's eyes a 'day' is as a thousand years - Psalm 90:4 ; 2nd Peter 3:8
So, A&E would die within that thousand-year time frame
This is why No one lived past being 1000 years old
Notice Adam died at 930 years of age - Gen. 5:5 - in other words, Adam died within that thousand-year day time frame

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
We do find the word 'day' at Genesis 2:17 and often a 24-hour day comes to mind
but just like in the English language the word ' day ' has shades of meaning
For example: Grandfather's day is more than a 24-hour day
Please notice Genesis 2:4 because ALL of the 6 creative days are summed up by the single word 'day '
In God's eyes a 'day' is as a thousand years - Psalm 90:4 ; 2nd Peter 3:8
So, A&E would die within that thousand-year time frame
This is why No one lived past being 1000 years old
Notice Adam died at 930 years of age - Gen. 5:5 - in other words, Adam died within that thousand-year day time frame
All very nice, I'm sure. But no human being ever lived to be 930 years old! Just sayin'.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Besides ancient mythology being free from death, that is also a modern un-resolvable problem today for mankind
But Not an un-resolvable problem for God and that is why God sent pre-human heavenly Jesus to Earth for us - Rev. 1:18
ALL the resurrections Jesus performed restored the dead back to live life again
Jesus was giving us a small preview, a coming attraction, of what he will be doing on a GRAND-GLOBAL scale
The BIG difference is: under Christ's 1000 year reign over Earth enemy 'death' will cease to exist - Isaiah 25:8; 1st Cor. 15:24-26

YoursTrue

All very nice, I'm sure. But no human being ever lived to be 930 years old! Just sayin'.
Just saying again that the Bible definition of a day doesn't have to be 24 hours. As URAVIP2ME explained, one day can be a set period of time with a beginning and an end. Not necessarily 24 hours. Adam and Eve were, however, given the death penalty the day they ate from that tree. There was no turning back from that death sentence.