• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam and his wife died physically after eating the Forbidden Fruit. Genesis 2:17 is Literal.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
All very nice, I'm sure. But no human being ever lived to be 930 years old! Just sayin'.
After Noah's day man's life span became more within the life span of 70 to 80 years - Psalm 90:10
Remember: Adam could live forever on Earth if he did Not break God's Law of Gen. 2:17
Since we are all born after fallen-father Adam is why we die
Because we are innocent of what Adam did is why God sent pre-human heavenly Jesus to Earth for us
Jesus will undo enemy ' death ' for us - Isaiah 25:8; 1st Cor. 15:24-26; Rev. 1:18

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
After Noah's day man's life span became more within the life span of 70 to 80 years - Psalm 90:10
Remember: Adam could live forever on Earth if he did Not break God's Law of Gen. 2:17
Since we are all born after fallen-father Adam is why we die
Because we are innocent of what Adam did is why God sent pre-human heavenly Jesus to Earth for us
Jesus will undo enemy ' death ' for us - Isaiah 25:8; 1st Cor. 15:24-26; Rev. 1:18
It is for one reason I am looking at reports by scientists of telomeres. Something fascinating and which caps the longevity of humans and others.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Let me ask you this: what hope do you have for the future of mankind? For your future?
What does that have to do with the Bible being wrong about any number of "facts?"

I'm 76 years old, and I rather suspect that my future is measured in years, not in decades. Death is something that happens to every human -- and for the record, I'm human.

The future of mankind? We are busy trying to make that future as dim as possible. Because we like money and "stuff," we're going to leave debt and a dying planet to future generations, and they will either have to find a way to correct our mistakes, or face their own untimely end -- or at least enough catastrophe that they have little hope of doing anything other than merely survival. Even if we don't destroy our world, we're going to make sure we get back to the "good old days," when you could jail or murder people for who they love, where you could silence people for their opinions, like the Inquisition silenced Galileo for ludicrously claiming that the earth moved around the sun. Imagine that, how crazy was Leo, eh? Bet you know better, right?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Let me ask you this: what hope do you have for the future of mankind? For your future?
Oh, and by the way -- that little Galileo thing was one of those that the Bible is simply wrong about -- but it took 350 years before the Church could even admit it. That's religion for you.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
What does that have to do with the Bible being wrong about any number of "facts?"
I'm 76 years old, and I rather suspect that my future is measured in years, not in decades. Death is something that happens to every human -- and for the record, I'm human.
The future of mankind? We are busy trying to make that future as dim as possible. Because we like money and "stuff," we're going to leave debt and a dying planet to future generations, and they will either have to find a way to correct our mistakes, or face their own untimely end -- or at least enough catastrophe that they have little hope of doing anything other than merely survival. Even if we don't destroy our world, we're going to make sure we get back to the "good old days," when you could jail or murder people for who they love, where you could silence people for their opinions, like the Inquisition silenced Galileo for ludicrously claiming that the earth moved around the sun. Imagine that, how crazy was Leo, eh? Bet you know better, right?
Yes, since Adam death is something that happens to every human
To me, the real ' good old days' have Not yet happened
Yes, 'busy making the future as dim as possible' because the timely words that now describes today's self-centered people are as defined at 2nd Timothy 3:1-5,13 people going from bad to worse. Seems as if they have a little altar in their hearts bowing down before themselves
Even if they read those verses those verses don't make sense to them
The failure of such people is failure to respond to the teachings of Jesus, and is the final result of these critical times as a line of evidence
Showing a selfish distorted form of love which is the opposite of Christ-like love as defined at 1st Corinthians 13:4-6
So, without divine involvement into mankind's affairs this world/earth be a dying planet
In other words, the wicked won't correct their mistakes so God will do away with the wicked - Psalms 92:7; 104:35; 145:20; Proverbs 2:22

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Oh, and by the way -- that little Galileo thing was one of those that the Bible is simply wrong about -- but it took 350 years before the Church could even admit it. That's religion for you.
Who seats themselves in the 'church' but false clergy who seat themselves as if they are God but really are anti-God
- 2nd Thessalonians 2:2-8
Bible was Not wrong, false clergy were wrong

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
It is for one reason I am looking at reports by scientists of telomeres. Something fascinating and which caps the longevity of humans and others.
Yes, science/medical even looks for suppliments to be of help to the telomeres but can't find a permanent solution because the world is full of sin-sickness and sin is what leads to death - Romans chapter 5
Sin's deadly position is shown in mankind's long history because of fallen-father Adam

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Who seats themselves in the 'church' but false clergy who seat themselves as if they are God but really are anti-God
- 2nd Thessalonians 2:2-8
Bible was Not wrong, false clergy were wrong
The Church did use biblical texts to challenge Galileo's support for heliocentrism, the idea that the Earth revolves around the Sun. The controversy around Galileo and his defense of the Copernican system, which posited a heliocentric model of the universe, brought him into conflict with the Catholic Church, which upheld the geocentric view (that the Earth is the center of the universe).

Several biblical passages were cited by Church authorities to argue against heliocentrism. One of the most frequently referenced passages was from the Book of Joshua (10:12-14), where Joshua commands the sun to stand still in the sky, which was interpreted as evidence that the sun moves around the Earth. Additionally, passages like Psalm 104:5, which states that God "set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved," were also used to support the idea of an immobile Earth.

Galileo, a devout Catholic, argued that the Bible should not be interpreted literally in matters of science and that it was intended to teach people how to go to heaven, not how the heavens go. However, his views were met with strong opposition, particularly from the Roman Catholic Church's authorities who believed that heliocentrism contradicted Scripture.

In 1616, the Catholic Church formally declared the heliocentric theory to be "formally heretical" because it appeared to contradict the Holy Scriptures. This led to Galileo being warned to abandon his support for heliocentrism. Later, in 1633, Galileo was tried by the Roman Inquisition, found guilty of heresy, and placed under house arrest for the remainder of his life.

The conflict between Galileo and the Church is often seen as a pivotal moment in the history of the relationship between science and religion.

And yes, in this case (as in others) the Bible was wrong.

However, I'm willing to listen to your arguments showing that Psalm 104:5 is correct, and that the earth has been set "on its foundations; it can never be moved." Either that, or admit that the Bible can get science wrong.

YoursTrue

The Church did use biblical texts to challenge Galileo's support for heliocentrism, the idea that the Earth revolves around the Sun. The controversy around Galileo and his defense of the Copernican system, which posited a heliocentric model of the universe, brought him into conflict with the Catholic Church, which upheld the geocentric view (that the Earth is the center of the universe).

Several biblical passages were cited by Church authorities to argue against heliocentrism. One of the most frequently referenced passages was from the Book of Joshua (10:12-14), where Joshua commands the sun to stand still in the sky, which was interpreted as evidence that the sun moves around the Earth. Additionally, passages like Psalm 104:5, which states that God "set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved," were also used to support the idea of an immobile Earth.

Galileo, a devout Catholic, argued that the Bible should not be interpreted literally in matters of science and that it was intended to teach people how to go to heaven, not how the heavens go. However, his views were met with strong opposition, particularly from the Roman Catholic Church's authorities who believed that heliocentrism contradicted Scripture.

In 1616, the Catholic Church formally declared the heliocentric theory to be "formally heretical" because it appeared to contradict the Holy Scriptures. This led to Galileo being warned to abandon his support for heliocentrism. Later, in 1633, Galileo was tried by the Roman Inquisition, found guilty of heresy, and placed under house arrest for the remainder of his life.

The conflict between Galileo and the Church is often seen as a pivotal moment in the history of the relationship between science and religion.

And yes, in this case (as in others) the Bible was wrong.

However, I'm willing to listen to your arguments showing that Psalm 104:5 is correct, and that the earth has been set "on its foundations; it can never be moved." Either that, or admit that the Bible can get science wrong.
I see. Is science ever wrong?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I see. Is science ever wrong?
All the time. And science is fine with that. Science is content to learn and continue to get closer to the the truth, even while knowing it will probably never get there absolutely. Want some examples?
  • The Post-It Note was the result of a mistake seeking a better adhesive. Sells like crazy, even today.
  • The first implantable pacemaker was developed in 1960 by Wilson Greatbatch after he unintentionally put a stronger than intended transistor into a heart monitor.
  • The World Health Organization (WHO) gave advice to not wear masks at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic because they believed there to be no evidence that healthy individuals would be more protected from the virus by wearing them. They later recanted this statement, instead urging everyone to wear masks to curb infections, and further suggesting that tighter fitting masks such as N95s would be more effective.
  • The 1970 mission to the moon is known for how quickly after departure it failed, as the Apollo 13 spacecraft experienced a total loss of oxygen, water, and electrical power. A quick and adept response saved the crew. This failure ultimately led to significant advancements in successive spacecraft composition.
  • Percy LeBaron Spencer developed the microwave oven in 1945 after using a magnetron which gave off magnetic radiation so strong it accidentally melted a chocolate bar in his pocket. He used the lesson to give us one of our great modern conveniences.
  • In 1942, Harry Coover was using cyanoacrylate monomers to create plastic scopes on firearms, and everything that touched the monomers stuck to them. The scopes failed, but Superglue stuck!
Your turn -- give us some examples of when religious dogma was discovered to be wrong and something good came from it.

YoursTrue

All the time. And science is fine with that. Science is content to learn and continue to get closer to the the truth, even while knowing it will probably never get there absolutely. Want some examples?
  • The Post-It Note was the result of a mistake seeking a better adhesive. Sells like crazy, even today.
  • The first implantable pacemaker was developed in 1960 by Wilson Greatbatch after he unintentionally put a stronger than intended transistor into a heart monitor.
  • The World Health Organization (WHO) gave advice to not wear masks at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic because they believed there to be no evidence that healthy individuals would be more protected from the virus by wearing them. They later recanted this statement, instead urging everyone to wear masks to curb infections, and further suggesting that tighter fitting masks such as N95s would be more effective.
  • The 1970 mission to the moon is known for how quickly after departure it failed, as the Apollo 13 spacecraft experienced a total loss of oxygen, water, and electrical power. A quick and adept response saved the crew. This failure ultimately led to significant advancements in successive spacecraft composition.
  • Percy LeBaron Spencer developed the microwave oven in 1945 after using a magnetron which gave off magnetic radiation so strong it accidentally melted a chocolate bar in his pocket. He used the lesson to give us one of our great modern conveniences.
  • In 1942, Harry Coover was using cyanoacrylate monomers to create plastic scopes on firearms, and everything that touched the monomers stuck to them. The scopes failed, but Superglue stuck!
Your turn -- give us some examples of when religious dogma was discovered to be wrong and something good came from it.
We already spoke about the concept of slavery in the sense of racial situation. That's one consideration. Nevertheless, science has made errors and this cannot be taken without questions. Glad you realize science is not always right in its considerations. In fact, based on what has been discussed, little is considered as without question.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
We already spoke about the concept of slavery in the sense of racial situation. That's one consideration. Nevertheless, science has made errors and this cannot be taken without questions. Glad you realize science is not always right in its considerations. In fact, based on what has been discussed, little is considered as without question.
And would you care to tell us all why, after I answered your question with some fullness, you totally avoided answering mine?

Or perhaps you'd like to leave your answer to me -- I would be happy to oblige, if you have none of your own.

YoursTrue

And would you care to tell us all why, after I answered your question with some fullness, you totally avoided answering mine?

Or perhaps you'd like to leave your answer to me -- I would be happy to oblige, if you have none of your own.
First of all, upon review, I see that the glue you speak of is a contaminant to the environment. And yes, I use superglue or crazy glue, whatever, if I need it. There are some things I know I cannot cure or heal. But here are some referrals for your perusal:

YoursTrue

Obviously you're free to answer. But while I may use Superglue or whatever upon occasion, I see it is a serious contaminant. You might want to look up the following: These are science’s Top 10 erroneous results

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Obviously you're free to answer. But while I may use Superglue or whatever upon occasion, I see it is a serious contaminant. You might want to look up the following: These are science’s Top 10 erroneous result

This reference is embarrassing from the perspective of your anti-science agenda, because the whole article describes how the knowledge of science advances correcting previous errors and knowledge based on limited information.

Where your agenda remains in the Stone Age over run by the many errors you refuse to correct.

Last edited: