• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Allah, the only Creator.

nameless

The Creator
It is a mistake to think that Islam proclaims that its God is something distinct from that of other faiths.

so, what if people worship god with the name Jehovah, Brahman etc, instead of allah, any wrong in that according to islam?

Fatihah

arabic term for god is allah
so, god's name = god?
ilah is something that is worshiped = god
and thus 'there is no god but god'?

Response: Allah is the name of God. ilah means God. When I say that Allah is the name of God, it does not mean that Allah means God. For example, in greek mythology, there are many Gods. One of the names of one of them is Zeus. Zeus is the name used to name one the Gods, not the meaning of God. Likewise, the arabic word for God is ilah. But the name of God (ilah) is Allah.

biomystic

that's why muslims do not accept translations of the quran as the word of god.
here the translation is wrong. in the arabic language, God has 99 names. one of them is allah.

la ilaha illa Allah, Almalik, Alkuddus, Alsalam, Almu'min, Almuhaymin, Al'aziz, Aljabbar, etc.

each of those is a name of god and each has a literal meaning. but, in translation, we cant replace a proper noun with its literal meaning. nour is a common female arabic name. it is still nour in english though it means light.

Only Arabic language allowed? You really believe God only speaks Arabic? Sounds more like Arab desert narcissism if you ask me since God is not limited to the Middle East and can speak in any tongue anywhere at anytime to anyone God wants to.

biomystic

Response: Allah is the name of God. ilah means God. When I say that Allah is the name of God, it does not mean that Allah means God. For example, in greek mythology, there are many Gods. One of the names of one of them is Zeus. Zeus is the name used to name one the Gods, not the meaning of God. Likewise, the arabic word for God is ilah. But the name of God (ilah) is Allah.

And how can any Muslim know what God's name is when they don't know what God is?:confused:

nameless

The Creator

i believe god has no limitation, that is beyond form, name, time space etc, so god according to islam is limited to language? god named himself 'allah'?

Last edited:

REASON_236

so, what if people worship god with the name Jehovah, Brahman etc, instead of allah, any wrong in that according to islam?

when someone prays to a god, he prays to the being and not the name.if u r asking if someone can pray to the as islam describes him, while using another name than Allah, i cant see the point of doing that in the 1st place. if he thinks that god is as islam explains him, then why would he use a different name. but ofcource, there r other ways you can address god. creator, master, close one, Alknowing, the compasionate. but Allah is not hard to pronunce.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
muslims believe that the quran is god's words revealed to mohammad by angel gabriel. Allah appears in the quran as god's name.

Doesn't mean that this is his Eternal Name; just the name He gave for the Qur'an.

REASON_236

Only Arabic language allowed? You really believe God only speaks Arabic? Sounds more like Arab desert narcissism if you ask me since God is not limited to the Middle East and can speak in any tongue anywhere at anytime to anyone God wants to.

u misunderstood. i never meant that god 'speaks' arabic. and ofcourse god can comunicate in any language to any creature. but he doesn't 'speak' as we understand the term. he doesnt have a mouth, tongue, lips. he creates the sound to comunicate. but this happened only to moses the rest of the prophets had revelations. (that is, according to islam.)

REASON_236

Doesn't mean that this is his Eternal Name; just the name He gave for the Qur'an.

god in islam has 99 names. here, it becomes difficult to explain. some of these names are adjectives in the arabic language. for example 'Alraheem' means 'the compassionate'. in english, u can use this translation in payer to refer to god but u would be using an adjective in referring to him and not a proper noun( which is ok). if i am tall and name is 'tall'. when referring to me as 'the tall one', it would be said differently in different languages. but my proper noun 'tall' will stay the same in all languages.i hope this make sense.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
god in islam has 99 names. here, it becomes difficult to explain. some of these names are adjectives in the arabic language. for example 'Alraheem' means 'the compassionate'. in english, u can use this translation in payer to refer to god but u would be using an adjective in referring to him and not a proper noun. if i am tall and name is 'tall'. when referring to me as 'the tall one', it would be said differently in different languages. but my proper noun 'tall' will stay the same in all languages.i hope this make sense.

It makes perfect sense.

What I'm saying is that just because he gave himself the proper name Allah for the Qur'an doesn't mean that this is his Eternal Name.