• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Allah, the only Creator.

Ba'al

Yes, in Islam it is ok to use another term for Allah, as long as it is something good like "Most Gracious" or "Most Beautiful". However Muslims prefer to use the term Allah because it only means one thing, the "Almighty God". In English, god is used in many different situations, like speaking of other "gods" that aren't the true creator. Or can be toyed with by saying someone is "godly" or someone is a "goddess" or used in other slang. "Allah" is the arabic word for God but in aramaic which is what Jesus spoke it is "Elah" and in Greek "Eli" or "Eloi". Aramaic and arabic are sister languages. So to end this nitpicking, Allah is not necessarily god's name but term of association. And as far as the sarcasm of Allah only speaking arabic...Allah can obviously speak any language He wishes, but He did not reveal the Quran in other languages. So, our trust lies in human translations which can never be perfect, that is why some muslims don't accept the quran in another language.

REASON_236

The Unchanging Name God has had for Eternity.
im not sure. but i really dont think so. humans use the term Allah in speech and writing. and before the universe was created, there was no humans, no speech, no writing but there was god. and he had a 'name'.now how this 'name' was communicated between maybe angels, i dont think it was by the speech or writing that we know. so i dont think that Allah, as we say it or speak it, is his eternal name, and i dont know his eternal name. maybe it cannot be said by sound, written, or even drawn or imagined by humans.but that's what i think im not really sure.

REASON_236

did god had any name before naming himself 'allah'? :rolleyes:

the quran doesn't say anything about that(not that i know of).
Allah is a name we(humans)use to refer to the god of Islam. befoe humans, i dont know what was the name. check my last post.

nameless

The Creator
the quran doesn't say anything about that(not that i know of).
Allah is a name we(humans)use to refer to the god of Islam. befoe humans, i dont know what was the name. check my last post.

check Fatihah's post, he claims god himself named 'allah' , that name existed even before humans came, anyway nice selection of name by allah.

Andal

resident hypnotist
Islam claims that Allah is the creator of the universe. and as a monotheistic religion, Islam claims that there is one creator. it also claims that he is not begotten and does not beget. kindly, express your ideas of what a creator(s) might be. and if a creator exists in the first place.

I believe in a creator. I call him Vishnu, Narayana, Krishna, Isvara; he has countless names. He is perfect and and we are a part of him. He is actively involved in the lives of all the souls in the material world and he sometime descends into the human form to show us the right way back to him. :)

REASON_236

I believe in a creator. I call him Vishnu, Narayana, Krishna, Isvara; he has countless names. He is perfect and and we are a part of him. He is actively involved in the lives of all the souls in the material world and he sometime descends into the human form to show us the right way back to him. :)

is that Him in the pic?
is it ok to draw him?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
is that Him in the pic?
is it ok to draw him?

Yes, it is fine to draw Him. There is no taboo with depicting God in images in Hinduism. Here is one pic:

vishnu.jpg

REASON_236

check Fatihah's post, he claims god himself named 'allah' , that name existed even before humans came, anyway nice selection of name by allah.

i personally never saw in the quran the mentioning of an eternal name. im not excluding anything though. like i said, im not sure.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

Just need to know if *allah* is a label as good as
*bhagwan*,
*god*,
*ra*,
*tao*,
* Yahweh*,
*Shangdi*,
*Tengri*,
*Ahura Mazda*,
etc.

Then most humans know, what is been discussed here.

Love & rgds

biomystic

Response: Surely, every muslim knows who God is. Why do you assume differently.

Because I'm not asking "who" God is, which you will supply a bunch of names which are intellectually as meaningless as calling an American mountain lion a cougar, a panther, a catamount, etc., i.e., just alternative names. Having a name for something doesn't mean you know that something. I can call you "William" or "Said" and never know who you really are even though I have a name for you. Names are superficial. Where's the substance of Muslim knowledge of God? What is God? Where did God come from? How does humanity fit into God's Plan? If you don't have answers to these questions, you don't know what God is. Again, what is God? Not who is God with Muslims only capable of supplying a set of multiple names in Arabic as if God was limited to the Arabic language.

Onkara

Islam claims that Allah is the creator of the universe. and as a monotheistic religion, Islam claims that there is one creator. it also claims that he is not begotten and does not beget. kindly, express your ideas of what a creator(s) might be. and if a creator exists in the first place.
Hi Reason_236
Agreed. However if Allah is the only creator how is it possible that humans create e.g. art or birth of a child?

Could it be that through His creation, creation continues to create. There is no separation at this ultimate level as creation creates creation. Allah created mankind from a "clot of blood" and from a "clot of blood" man creates a child.

When we say He is not begotten and does not beget we mean that there is nothing which can be created which doesn't already exist. We cannot create God as he is not begotten, He already IS. All of this is His creation and nothing is separate from it. The creation IS the creator, no separation. Any sense of separation from this can only exist as a thought e.g. "I think I am separate". But then who but Allah created thought? Hence the experience of a "creative thought".

Kind regards, Onkarah

Last edited:

biomystic

It would do Abrahamic believers a world of good to research the origins of the name of the God they call YHWH in Hebrew and Allah in Arabic because then they might get over the rather unhistorical mythology that these names are somehow pristine without pagan predecessors which is decidedly not the case.

Take YHWH for example. "YHWH" is the dressed up in a magic tuxedo name for the old Egyptian name of Yah, Yaw or Yahwu, Yahwe in its Canaanite form.

[FONT=book antiqua, times new roman, times]The Midian-Egyptian connection to the origin of Yahweh

[/FONT] [FONT=book antiqua, times new roman, times] [/FONT][FONT=book antiqua, times new roman, times]Yah[/FONT]
[FONT=book antiqua, times new roman, times]Moon-god.[/FONT]
[FONT=book antiqua, times new roman, times][/FONT]
[FONT=book antiqua, times new roman, times]"In its earliest attestations the name Yah refers to the moon as satellite of the earth. Yah then becomes conceptualised as a lunar deity, iconographically anthropomorphic but whose manifestations, from the hieroglyphic evidence, can include the crescent of the new moon, the ibis and the falcon- comparable to the other moon deities, Thoth and Khonsu. It is probable that contact with Middle Eastern states in Palestine, Syria and Babylonia was instrumental in the development of Yah as a deity. Certainly the zenith of Yah's popularity lay in the period following the Middle Kingdom when immigration from the Levant was high and princes from Palestine, knoiwn as the Hyksos, rulers, dominated Egypt. These foreigners may well have looked for a lunardeity analogous to the Akkadian moon-god Sin who had an important temple at Harran in north Syria. Strangely, it is with the Theban royal family eventually responsible for the expulsion of these alien rulers that there is a difinite inclination for names involving the mood-god Yah. The daughter of Seqenenre Tao I (Dynasty XVII) is Yah-hotep ('Yah is content'). The founder of Dynasty XVIII was called Yahmose ('Yah is born') and the same element is in the nameo f his wife Yahmose-Nefertari. Most likely the Middle Eastern deity who gave the stimulus to the adoption of Yah is the influence behind the name Kamose, the brother of Yahmose, who began the final thrust against the Hyksos domination. Kamose ('the bull is born') might be the Egyptian equivalent of the epithet applied to Sin describing him as a 'young bull... with strong horns' (i.e. the tips of the crescent moon). This imagery would be totally compatible with the Egyptian concept of the pharaoh as an invinvible bull. In the tomb of Tuthmosis III (Dynasty XVII), the pharaoh whose campaigns took him to the banks of the Euphrates river, there is a scene where the king is accompanied by his mother and three queens, including Sit-Yah 'daughter of the moon-god'. Traces of his cult beyond this period are sporadic."[/FONT]
[FONT=book antiqua, times new roman, times]
[/FONT]
[FONT=book antiqua, times new roman, times] Yah, was the name of the god of the Midians into which Moses supposedly married by marrying the daughter of a Midian priest. Yah was also the name of the desert god worshipped by the Bedoins. It is likely this name is the same one Canaanites applied to Yamm as Yaw or Yawu. See below:[/FONT]
[FONT=book antiqua, times new roman, times] [/FONT][FONT=book antiqua, times new roman, times]Yahti, was the name of the Egyptian Father god. Hebrew monotheism followed the trail blazed by Pharaoh Akenaton who overthrew all the Egyptian gods and goddesses substituting his Aten (only god) Ra (sun god) or Amen (hidden god) Ra as the only god there is. There is considerable evidence linking the story of Moses to Egyptians priests and "habiru" outcasts forced to flee Egypt when the Semitic (read Canaanite) Hyksos Pharaohs lost power then later when Akenaton and his monotheistic revolution went sour.
[/FONT]

[FONT=book antiqua, times new roman, times]There is a Canaanite cuniform text where the top God, EL Elyon, or God Most High, renames the Canaanite sea and river and judgment god, Yamm, Yah or Yahwe. This renaming forms the basis of the Hebrew name for the tribe of Benjamin which literally means "Sons of Yamm" and not "Sons of my right hand" as Jewish makeover wants to claim. (Hebrew reinvention of borrowed pagan names is typical of Abrahamic makeovers of pagan religious ideas and language, e.g. "Moses" in Hebrew meaning drawn out of water as if all those Egyptian pharaoh's names that have "moses" in them were somehow disconnected to Egyptian origins, e.g. "EL Elyon" becomes disassociated from His Canaanite roots through being subsumed into Yahweh in the Moses story, i.e. a Hebrew makeover of the Canaanite deity. Allah too has this sort of pagan history.
[/FONT]

[FONT=book antiqua, times new roman, times]But to think God is limited even in names of the languages of ancient Near Eastern communities is to limit God. For instance, I am a Christian in America who 30 years ago was woken out of my atheist slumber of 35 years to the reality of God and the spiritual truth that is held within the Christian traditions, learned to my astonishment 19 years later that the name of God who had given me such a crash course in God's spiritual reality was not the Old World Near Eastern name for God but the New World Native American name Wakan Tanka, the Lakota peoples' name for God. How did I find this out? By God arranging "signs" or synchronicity events in my life to teach me spiritual truths which is the way I learned that God's influence on my life was real. God sealed this knowledge when my daughter married a local young man as European-American looking as most Americans only to discover a few years later this white boy was a direct descendant of the Lakota's most honored spiritual warrior leader, Sitting Bull. Now I have grandkids who are a 16th Lakota and I am now working with the Lakota tribes on an economic development project to reacquire ancestral lands. Only God could so arrange one's life experiences so when I hear that "Allah" is the Name of God or YHWH it is just sort of silly to me. God comes to one in whatever way God comes.
[/FONT]

Fatihah

Because I'm not asking "who" God is, which you will supply a bunch of names which are intellectually as meaningless as calling an American mountain lion a cougar, a panther, a catamount, etc., i.e., just alternative names. Having a name for something doesn't mean you know that something. I can call you "William" or "Said" and never know who you really are even though I have a name for you. Names are superficial. Where's the substance of Muslim knowledge of God? What is God? Where did God come from? How does humanity fit into God's Plan? If you don't have answers to these questions, you don't know what God is. Again, what is God? Not who is God with Muslims only capable of supplying a set of multiple names in Arabic as if God was limited to the Arabic language.

Response: The qur'an tells us who Allah is. He is the originator and creator of the heavens and the
earth, as well as the entire universe and life itself and all that's within it. He as no beginning or end and has created humanity for the purpose to know Him and worship Him alone.

Fatihah

Response: The name used for the originator of the universe and all that exists is Allah in the qur'an. Since Allah does not act without purpose, it is safe to say that His name has always been Allah. For there would be no purpose to have a name different from Allah, then to change it.

REASON_236

Hi Reason_236
Agreed. However if Allah is the only creator how is it possible that humans create e.g. art or birth of a child?

Could it be that through His creation, creation continues to create. There is no separation at this ultimate level as creation creates creation. Allah created mankind from a "clot of blood" and from a "clot of blood" man creates a child.

When we say He is not begotten and does not beget we mean that there is nothing which can be created which doesn't already exist. We cannot create God as he is not begotten, He already IS. All of this is His creation and nothing is separate from it. The creation IS the creator, no separation. Any sense of separation from this can only exist as a thought e.g. "I think I am separate". But then who but Allah created thought? Hence the experience of a "creative thought".

Kind regards, Onkarah

it seems that we have a different understanding of the term creation. i understand creation as the act of making something exist from absolutely nothing. a woman doesnt create a child when she gives birth to it. because the child was already existing in her womb and, before that, part of the child was sperm and the other part, the egg. those sex cells were nutrients that the parents ate. those nutrients come from plants, and plants got them from earth. so practically we are made of the nutrients in the soil(go further and we were once part of a star/s. but its not the point). our parents were 'assembly lines' in this long chain that helped 'make' us and not 'create' us. everything we see today is just a different form of the matter(and other stuff) that god created in the beginning.

best regards brother.

REASON_236

Yes, it is fine to draw Him. There is no taboo with depicting God in images in Hinduism. Here is one pic:

vishnu.jpg

if lets say god took the form of a human, do u believe that the whole of god would be 'contained' in that physical body? im assuming that not, since god is eternal and infinite, therefore the physical body, or the drawing is a symbol of god and not god as a whole(im just assuming here, and plz correct me if im wrong). and when u praise or worship the symbol, your aim is the eternal and infinite god that can't possibly be contained in a physical body. in islam, the name of god (as in the drawing), refers to god. we cherish and honor the drawing itself. but in prayer or worship, we dont think of the drawing, but we submit to the eternal being. i think there may be some similarities(but not in the part of god taking the form of a human).

allah.jpg

MSizer

MSizer
Response: The qur'an tells us who Allah is. He is the originator and creator of the heavens and the
earth, as well as the entire universe and life itself and all that's within it. He as no beginning or end and has created humanity for the purpose to know Him and worship Him alone.

Yes we know the koran says that, but it is mythology, like the bible and all other texts which include supernatural beings like superman and the fantastic 4. Nobody is asking what you believe, people are asking how you can support this claim.