• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"American Ethnocentrism" is still a problem in the U.S

Me Myself

Back to my username
Just to help slapstick out.....

When I mentioned "American Ethnocentrism" I identified it as the following:

1) First foremost to prevent from alienating one particular ethnic group. For example when we discuss racism in America "white Americans" are usually the first to come to mind.

2) Some Americans have a tendency to identify American culture as "white culture" and anything foreign is nonetheless un-American, regardless whether a person was born here or not.

I find it funny that you say America and mean united states. Then again that is common.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Everyone has some racism in them, whether they like it or not. Not outward nasty racism, but decision-making based somewhat on experiences with other races. It's natural, and falls into the mind's ability to generalise. Some of it might even come off as common sense. Who among us can honestly say we react the same to meeting anyone at all on the street at 11PM? I certainly don't. Particular races scare me, because crime rates in my city do differ by race.

In America, the most obvious I've ever felt was when a hotel clerk recommended a supermarket that was about 10 blocks beyond another supermarket that was obviously catering more to Hispanics. I went to the close one, once I saw it.

I do see a lot of denial about it as well.

Unfortunately true.

I'm not personally offended. I'm just not privy in generalizations based on some individual experience. You said in the following:

"Same thing if you buy 2 straight vehicles of a particular brand, and they both turn out to be clunkers, why would you go buy the same car again?"

Well in the real world, it wouldn't be so much as the brand or the make of the vehicle, it would be the car dealer that decides to sell a consumer an inoperable vehicle.

In the real world, your subconscious takes note of both.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What's the fundamental problem with ethnocentrism?
It's common to all societies. Is decrying it akin to criticizing the weather...& equally useful?
Worse yet, does obsession with the evils of ethnocentrism blind one to progress?
This could make one susceptible to politicians pandering victimhood, & lead to bad governmental policies.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
He is correct ithe sense at america includes united states, but incorrect in that it wxcludes other american countries.
Though common usage of "America" is about denizens of the USA.
"North Americastan" would also include Canuckistan & Mexicostan.
"South Americastan" would refer to those countries south of the above.
The "Americas" would include them all, & those ambiguous little places like Nevis.
Outsiders (of USAistan) might think otherwise, but we ethnocentrics use "America" this way.

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I am actually trying to help you understand the words you are using instead of running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Well good. I'm glad you know a little something about per-industrial, per-American history.

If you take it as an insult on your intelligence then I can't help you. Just pointing out a common misconception.

No, what is disturbing is that you want to equate comments made about Santa and Duck Dynasty to racism. You do not fully understand what racism or prejudice actually is if you are interchangeably comparing the two.

Try reading the comment I quoted of yours.

The comments made by Megyn Kelley were inappropriate. For one, she made a comment addressing kids and defining the ethnicity of Santa for kids as if it was something necessary for the sanity of children. Two, Duck Dynasty's comments were inaccurate and are not representative of the zeitgeist of Jim Crow era. Three, you never pointed out where I said in my first post that I said Phil Robertson said or what Megyn Kelley said was racist.

The subject of this thread is about ethnocentrism and the fact that race is still an issue in this country. the fact that Megyn Kelley said that Jesus was white should be an obvious problem to you, but then again as you've said homosexuality is more of a pressing issue as opposed to human beings quarreling over racism.

In regards to the definitions I think I was pretty clear and in fact other members here have addressed you in YOUR presentation ergo, your first comment on page 1.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
He is correct ithe sense at america includes united states, but incorrect in that it wxcludes other american countries.

Is this what this forum is? Correcting people? Ok folks..... What I mean is United States. Latitude 40.0000 North, Longitude 100.0000 West

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
What I find funny is people who include Canada and Mexico but forget all about South America. Are they technically Americans too?

Slapstick

The comments made by Megyn Kelley were inappropriate. For one, she made a comment addressing kids and defining the ethnicity of Santa for kids as if it was something necessary for the sanity of children. Two, Duck Dynasty's comments were inaccurate and are not representative of the zeitgeist of Jim Crow era. Three, you never pointed out where I said in my first post that I said Phil Robertson said or what Megyn Kelley said was racist.

The subject of this thread is about ethnocentrism and the fact that race is still an issue in this country. the fact that Megyn Kelley said that Jesus was white should be an obvious problem to you, but then again as you've said homosexuality is more of a pressing issue as opposed to human beings quarreling over racism.

In regards to the definitions I think I was pretty clear and in fact other members here have addressed you in YOUR presentation ergo, your first comment on page 1.
Oh yeah, the post you so willfully chose to ignore. Then responded to with a comment about racism.
Which I replied; racism is only an issue for people that choose to make it one and provide you with some definitions of what racism actually is vs. prejudice that you continuously choose to ignore. Yet, make more faulty assumptions that I don’t know what your OP is about.

It is your opinion that race is still an issue in this country. It is not an issue for me, nor is it an issue for many Americans. Kelly’s response was about someone writing a news article claiming Santa should be a penguin so both white and black kids can celebrate it without white kids being embarrassed, allowing both ( and others) to celebrate Christmas without the social stigma that may be attached to it. Most people do not give a flying flip what color people think Santa, the fictional character is unless they decide to look up the history of St. Nicholas which is traditionally tied to Christianity, yet anyone can celebrate the spirit of Christmas without being religious. It doesn’t matter what color the fictional character Santa Claus is or what color people think Santa Claus should be.

• If people want to believe Santa is white then good for them.
  • If people want to believe Santa is black then good for them.
  • If people want to believe Santa is Asian then good for them.
  • If people want to believe Santa is Hispanic or Latino then good for them.
  • If people want to believe Santa is green and purple and flies around in a UFO then good for them.
Race is an issue and will be when you live in a society with different ethnicities. If someone’s child goes missing people need to know their defining characteristics and race is one of them. If someone wants to apply for ACA (healthcare), then they need to know more about the defining characteristics of that person and these things are limited to race. Race is also used to gather and collect demographic information and statistics. You cannot simply disregard “race” because you think it shouldn’t be an issue. You also claim that these are issues that people should talk about which people have for the past week or two and this is now considered old news, and is water under the bridge.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Judging by some of the responses here, I beg to differ.

Just because someone didn't accept something as legitimate doesn't mean they didn't listen. Ever heard of the tale of the boy who cried wolf? Some people have this undue sense of entitlement, and will exaggerate things so that they can milk it dry. The card is a beloved crutch. Some cling to victim status so that they can be coddled and carried the whole way.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Of course, but there is a difference between genuine personal experience and indoctrinated cultural attitudes.

Oh, you mean like...

"Be a man."

"A woman's place is in the home."

My cousin is dating a black man (said quietly), but he's a good black man."

As opposed to hearing people of color talking about their experience? Or is it only genuine when minorities aren't getting too uppity when discussing their experience? ;)

Wherenextcolumbus

Oh, you mean like...

"Be a man."

"A woman's place is in the home."

My cousin is dating a black man (said quietly), but he's a good black man."

As opposed to hearing people of color talking about their experience? Or is it only genuine when minorities aren't getting too uppity when discussing their experience? ;)

I am fruballing with my mind because I can't frubal you again.