• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

..and not a drag queen among them.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Drag has been an integral part of children’s entertainment for centuries.
Hell I grew up watching drag on Disney!!!
(Mrs Doubtfire anyone?)
Also Dame Edna Everage was a character that literally lasted like 5 decades in entertainment
Drag is a specific type of crossdressing. It's sexualised, that's the point. Wtf do you guys drag is? It's not just another word for crosssdressing.

How is this the same as Mrs Doubtfire?

1690402321930.png

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Drag has been an integral part of children’s entertainment for centuries.
This statement is true but quite misleading.

Hell I grew up watching drag on Disney!!!
I feel for you that there was not better entertainment available.

(Mrs Doubtfire anyone?)
I used to be a big Robin Williams fan but that soured when he killed himself.
Also Dame Edna Everage was a character that literally lasted like 5 decades in entertainment
Hmmm. I know this one sounds like a gimmie, but Dame Edna was more a comedian than a drag queen. His Wiki page doesn't even mention drag on the entire page, except a footnote at the bottom.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Drag is a specific type of crossdressing. It's sexualised, that's the point. Wtf do you guys drag is? It's not just another word for crosssdressing.
Have you seen Genie from the Aladdin movies lately?
In both the animated and live action versions he dressed in exagettrated over the top women’s clothing (during the Prince Ali song, specifically.)
Now depending on the culture such depictions could be taken as sexualised, since that is very subjective and changes culture to culture.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you seen Genie from the Aladdin movies lately?
In both the animated and live action versions he dressed in exagettrated over the top women’s clothing (during the Prince Ali song, specifically.)
Now depending on the culture such depictions could be taken as sexualised, since that is very subjective and changes culture to culture.
Drag is sexualised in our culture, and this is the culture we are discussing. Drag consists of sexualised performances imitating women. I don't find any sexualised performances appropriate for children, and by extension drag queens reading in drag, sexualising themselves, to children. I'm honestly not sure why this is so controversial. If you agree drag is sexualised then it follows we don't show sexualised people to children, I'm sure we would agree on that.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Drag is sexualised in our culture, and this is the culture we are discussing. Drag consists of sexualised performances imitating women. I don't find any sexualised performances appropriate for children, and by extension drag queens reading in drag, sexualising themselves, to children. I'm honestly not sure why this is so controversial.

I've seen the "normal" amount of drag in American culture (cartoons, films, TV) and none of it seems particularly sexualized apart from the cartoonish caricature of oversized breasts for comedic effect.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Do you suppose that those who watched the Bugs Bunny drag episodes when they were kids many decades ago still struggle with the deep psychological scars that were caused by it?

Don't worry, I censored it.
No, but your argument is disingenuous. In counselling, we call this minimizing. Good job!

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
This statement is true but quite misleading.
Depends on the definition you’re using. I feel like we’re using very different definitions.

I see drag as any sort of over the top cross dressing. Sexualisation is an optional feature, usually seen primarily in specific adult only drag shows. When kids are involved the costumes tend to “tone down” or go flashier. I mean :shrug:
I feel for you that there was not better entertainment available.

I also grew up watching Lord of the Rings for what it’s worth lol

I used to be a big Robin Williams fan but that soured when he killed himself.

Bit harsh. I felt bad for him and his family when I heard the news

Hmmm. I know this one sounds like a gimmie, but Dame Edna was more a comedian than a drag queen. His Wiki page doesn't even mention drag on the entire page, except a footnote at the bottom.
You don’t consider a man dressed intentionally in a sparkling dress, over exaggerated makeup and a purple wig to be an instance of drag?
I mean I do, I think he kept his displays of sexualisation strictly to adult only shows. But I mean, it’s hard for me not to associate Dame Edna with drag. Given that I grew up with him dressed as an exaggerated lady on TV for like 50 years. Ironically it took me forever to be introduced to his other comedy routines, despite being Australian lol

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I've seen the "normal" amount of drag in American culture (cartoons, films, TV) and none of it seems particularly sexualized apart from the cartoonish caricature of oversized breasts for comedic effect.
So, you have not seen a drag act at an adult gay club?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Where are "serious sexual performances" being performed in front of kids? Find them and I'll denounce them.
  • A drag queen appeared to be performing at a 'family friendly' event
  • Young kids were present as the sexually suggestive moves were made
  • The drag queen spread their legs and thrust their breasts forward
  • A young boy could be seen handing a trip towards another cast member
  • Footage posted by infamous Libs of TikTok account sparked outrage online
And they're having kids perform this too.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Drag is sexualised in our culture, and this is the culture we are discussing. Drag consists of sexualised performances imitating women. I don't find any sexualised performances appropriate for children, and by extension drag queens reading in drag, sexualising themselves, to children. I'm honestly not sure why this is so controversial. If you agree drag is sexualised then it follows we don't show sexualised people to children, I'm sure we would agree on
I’m honestly sometimes a little shocked when someone shows me what American culture deems as “sexual.” Since it seems rather tame and something I would have seen on a kids show over here.
I’m not sure if this is the infamous “prudish nature” peaking through or what.

Can we agree that drag shows involving children should not be sexualised? Sure, I can agree with that.
But I don’t know if you and I have the same limits to what we consider sexualised.
Like as a kid I was watching the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Is that suitable for children? No. But it didn’t like scar me or anything
I do think the movie is likely rated a lot higher in the states though. Here it’s just a mere M rating (our equivalent of a PG13, basically.)

Like I said, sexualisation tends to differ wildly between cultures. Western culture is no different

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
  • A drag queen appeared to be performing at a 'family friendly' event
  • Young kids were present as the sexually suggestive moves were made
  • The drag queen spread their legs and thrust their breasts forward
  • A young boy could be seen handing a trip towards another cast member
  • Footage posted by infamous Libs of TikTok account sparked outrage online
And they're having kids perform this too.
Well that was obviously wrong, but has this been a typical occurrence at book readings? If it is then I'll agree with you. Also, if one bad apple spoils the bunch, then children need to be kept far away from churches, what with every other priest turning out to be a predator.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I’m honestly sometimes a little shocked when someone shows me what American culture deems as “sexual.” Since it seems rather tame and something I would have seen on a kids show over here.
I’m not sure if this is the infamous “prudish nature” peaking through or what.

Can we agree that drag shows involving children should not be sexualised? Sure, I can agree with that.
But I don’t know if you and I have the same limits to what we consider sexualised.
Like as a kid I was watching the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Is that suitable for children? No. But it didn’t like scar me or anything
I do think the movie is likely rated a lot higher in the states though. Here it’s just a mere M rating (our equivalent of a PG13, basically.)

Like I said, sexualisation tends to differ wildly between cultures. Western culture is no different
I'm British.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm British.
I know.
I was speaking more generally, since the board overall is very “American.”
I should have made that a bit clearer, though. Sorry, blame the lack of caffeine and early hours

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
You don’t consider a man dressed intentionally in a sparkling dress, over exaggerated makeup and a purple wig to be an instance of drag?
I mean I do, I think he kept his displays of sexualisation strictly to adult only shows. But I mean, it’s hard for me not to associate Dame Edna with drag. Given that I grew up with him dressed as an exaggerated lady on TV for like 50 years. Ironically it took me forever to be introduced to his other comedy routines, despite being Australian lol
I see him as a straight comedian who dressed in drag. I do not see him as a drag queen. From my experience, there is a big difference between straight men "dragging up" and gay men "dragging up". Humphries saw himself as a women when in character, but that ended when he took the outfits off. In other words, it was purely and hilariously performative. Gay drag is a lot darker and raunchy. I suppose gay drag could be turned down but I have seen multiple videos now (of drag queen story hours) that were pretty disgusting and I don't think anyone who knows me or my history could possibly call me a prude.