• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Downside to Atheism?

Alceste

Vagabond
Just wanted to point out I've never once been "ridiculed" for my beliefs. There's nothing to ridicule - atheism is not a belief. To open yourself and / or your children to ridicule you have to believe something ridiculous.

If anything, I get more ridicule among my family and friends for the occasional reference to Tarot or I Ching readings and the flow of Qi than lacking belief in god/s.

We don't all live in your home town, mickiel.

mickiel

So where do you come off telling me I should intervene on my kid's behalf to protect them from Mormons or for suggesting that I am not doing right in teaching my children to think for themselves?

I believe in teaching children to think for themselves, but I also believe in the parent intervening at times. If my child were thinking about being a Mormon, I would disagree. My son and his mother are baptist, I have never disagreed with her raising him in that church, although I totally disagree with their doctrine.

Peace.

mickiel

Just wanted to point out I've never once been "ridiculed" for my beliefs. There's nothing to ridicule - atheism is not a belief. To open yourself and / or your children to ridicule you have to believe something ridiculous.

If anything, I get more ridicule among my family and friends for the occasional reference to Tarot or I Ching readings and the flow of Qi than lacking belief in god/s.

We don't all live in your home town, mickiel.

I live alone in my town.

Peace.

Alceste

Vagabond
Because I know they are, are you suggesting they are not?

Peace.

They are not. Not where I live, anyway. I've never heard of it happening. It doesn't happen to me or to anyone else. The Mormons and Jehovah's witnesses get ridiculed though, on account of their irritating habit of banging on doors. If they didn't do that, they probably wouldn't be ridiculed either.

mickiel

They are not. Not where I live, anyway. I've never heard of it happening. It doesn't happen to me or to anyone else. The Mormons and Jehovah's witnesses get ridiculed though, on account of their irritating habit of banging on doors. If they didn't do that, they probably wouldn't be ridiculed either.

Well be glad you don't live in rual North Carolina. Or in so many biblebelt citys, I don't care to list.

Peace

Liam Anderson

Determined Guardian
Ah, I see. So, judging from the number of responses, who gets ridiculed for their beliefs is a more valid argument than what I presented. I see... Well, have fun

Liam Anderson

Determined Guardian
It's like this, Liam. Statements are either true or false. (or unknown.) If they're true, then they're true. They're not true for me but not for you. So before you throw a stone at someone else, you might want to take a look and check what your house is made of. If atheists are missing out on religion, then religionists are missing out on atheism. Further more, unlike most religionists, probably including yourself, most of us atheists have experienced religion and rejected it. Have you experienced atheism and rejected it? If not, the only person in this scenario who has failed to experience something is you, whether you enjoy talking about that or not.

Hm... Since you insist, actually I have. I was brought up in an atheistic family, my parents are atheists, I've lived many years without religion and then rejected it, true.

But this is a purely eristic stratagem: shifting the focus of the debate, nothing more. If you're really interested in my personal experiences, you're welcome to start a thread about it. I guess I am done with this one.

Be well.

Alceste

Vagabond
Ah, I see. So, judging from the number of responses, who gets ridiculed for their beliefs is a more valid argument than what I presented. I see... Well, have fun

Others have already responded to your comments, Liam, and said everything I would have said, but here's a recap of the main points:

1) I was raised a Christian, so I know exactly what I'm "missing", and I don't miss any of it - except maybe the coffee and cakes.
2) You yourself are "missing" a life of freedom from emotional dependence on an imaginary father figure. We are all "missing" whatever we do not happen to be actively engaged in at any given time.
3) Spirituality does not require theistic belief.

I'll add one of my own, since this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine: the tao of taoism has nothing at all to do with the god of the Christians, Muslims and Jews. Not one little thing. Abrahamic religion and Taoism are utterly different, non-overlapping cosmologies. To claim the tao is "of god" demonstrates your profound ignorance of Eastern culture and history in general and Taoism in particular.

Alceste

Vagabond
Well be glad you don't live in rual North Carolina. Or in so many biblebelt citys, I don't care to list.

Peace

The Bible Belt is a pretty insignificant part of the world in general, but I am indeed glad I don't live there. If I lived there I'd move.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
Is it just me who finds odd that, from at least what I've seen in this thread, atheists find no downside to atheism...but people who actually aren't atheist raise the objections?

Alceste

Vagabond
Is it just me who finds odd that, from at least what I've seen in this thread, atheists find no downside to atheism...but people who actually aren't atheist raise the objections?

Yes, I do find that rather odd, but I wouldn't be surprised if the results were similar if the question had been "any down side to theism" - atheists would have come up with a big long list. People tend to root for the home team.

It's a moot point anyway. I could not believe in a god or gods if I tried, and I suspect most theists would have a hard time letting go of their beliefs if they tried, too.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
Yes, I do find that rather odd, but I wouldn't be surprised if the results were similar if the question had been "any down side to theism" - atheists would have come up with a big long list. People tend to root for the home team.

It's a moot point anyway. I could not believe in a god or gods if I tried, and I suspect most theists would have a hard time letting go of their beliefs if they tried, too.

True enough. But I do think there are more theists who become atheist than atheists who become theists. Thus, I generally think more atheists have experienced both sides of the equation than theists. Maybe I'm wrong.

Alceste

Vagabond
True enough. But I do think there are more theists who become atheist than atheists who become theists. Thus, I generally think more atheists have experienced both sides of the equation than theists. Maybe I'm wrong.

Judging by the declining statistics for theism, you must be right - at least in Canada.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

It's just you.
I would expect the discussion to proceed as it did.
From the topic title onward, how could it go any other way?

You didn't really expect the participants to change their minds did you?
And of course I don't expect an atheist to reconsider.

Besides, all of the nay saying will end.

I believe in life after death. I will go on.