• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Downside to Atheism?

LittleNipper

"Is there or is there not a god?"

Someone please explain to me why the answer to that question matters.

Is there any real demonstrable negative to not acknowledging god (hint: stories of hell and eternal damnation are not demonstrable)?

I can be kind, loving, selfless, and charitable all on my own. It is simply a matter of choosing to act out such characteristics. I can enjoy my membership in social organizations without having to imbibe any religious teachings.

What are the negative consequences to atheism? I just don't see a downside.

What exactly does an atheist tell a dying child? Your dying, it's a natural process, your little body will rot, and feed the worms, and you will never exist again... But your mother and I still love you for now and will enjoy your memory after your gone.
PS We will never pray for you, because we don't believe that will help you in the least. In the eternal scheme of things you might as well never have existed, but we still love you...

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
What exactly does an atheist tell a dying child? Your dying, it's a natural process, your little body will rot, and feed the worms, and you will never exist again... But your mother and I still love you for now and will enjoy your memory after your gone.
PS We will never pray for you, because we don't believe that will help you in the least.

You're apparently unfamiliar with modern casket technology.

MSizer

MSizer
PS We will never pray for you, because we don't believe that will help you in the least.

Only an idiot would be so cruel. I can't believe I have to even bother answering this question. But, since apparently we have to spell it out, the proper thing to do is to respect the beliefs of the dying person. The fact that you would even wonder such a thing says more about you than about other people.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
PS We will never pray for you, because we don't believe that will help you in the least. In the eternal scheme of things you might as well never have existed, but we still love you...

I believe that I'm part of the eternal universe, and so partake of eternity.

LittleNipper

Only an idiot would be so cruel. I can't believe I have to even bother answering this question. But, since apparently we have to spell it out, the proper thing to do is to respect the beliefs of the dying person. The fact that you would even wonder such a thing says more about you than about other people.

But it is entirely truthful in atheistic terms... PS> Only the fool says in his heart there is no GOD. So fool/idiot must not be so of harsh terms after all....

Last edited:

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
You pretty much clinched it. Well, I'd also tell them they were adopted just to see their little face get all scrunched up and sadder.

MSizer

MSizer
But it is entirely truthful in atheistic terms... PS> Only the fool says in his heart there is no GOD. So fool/idiot must not be so of harsh terms after all....

It may be truthful, but that doesn't mean it's valuable to express it in certain situations. Just like if you started preaching to me about jesus on my deathbed, I'd tell you to take a hike. The same would apply to an atheist who would act so disrespectfully to a believer. I may think my co-worker's hair is hideous, but I don't tell her. It's the same concept. Most of us undertand it by the time we're about 8 or so years old. I'm sure if you think about it long enough, you'll get it too.

mr.guy

crapsack

Fairy tales are mostly for children, after all.

Obviously, some basic critical thinking skills would make the atheist totally poor company for eternity, i should guess.

Smoke

Done here.
What exactly does an atheist tell a dying child?
"I love you."

But what do many theists tell a healthy child? You must devote your entire earthly existence to serving an imaginary spirit, you must believe things nobody in his right mind would believe, and you must follow all kinds of arbitrary rules no matter how ridiculous they are. You must suppress your intellect and your sexuality, and don't forget to give at least 10% of your income to the nice folks who remind you about it every Sunday. If you're faithful, and never dare to break the chains we put on your mind, then after you die the imaginary spirit will give you pie in the sky in the sweet by and by. Really. I promise.