• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Downside to Atheism?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
You pretty much clinched it. Well, I'd also tell them they were adopted just to see their little face get all scrunched up and sadder.

I think I'd go the extra mile and tell them that they were a mistake and we never wanted them anyway - just for the laughs.

Erebus

But it is entirely truthful in atheistic terms... PS> Only the fool says in his heart there is no GOD. So fool/idiot must not be so of harsh terms after all....

Just as it's entirely truthful to tell a child, "actually, it's highly likely that you're going to go to hell, where you will face God's burning wrath for all eternity in the company of murderers, rapists and demons... well I did tell you to read your bible..."

Most of the downsides in Atheism are due to the Atheist in question rather than Atheism as a whole (those atheists who insist they can't proselytize while simultaneously cramming their ideology down your throat spring to mind). Since atheism is essentially the lack of a deity it has neither the negatives nor the positives of theism, it's pretty much down to the individual (which I would consider a positive element of atheism by the way).

Personally speaking, the only real downside I see to Atheism generally, is that I think it's boring... but that is entirely down to personal preference (so please don't take it to heart :sorry1:)

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
One downside to atheism, is that a word for it exists at all, thereby planting the seeds of misunderstanding and confusion in countless debates and discussions.

Alceste

Vagabond
What exactly does an atheist tell a dying child?

That he's a sinner, and his little body will be resurrected whole to be tortured for all eternity by the demons of hell, UNLESS he truly believes with all his heart in an omnipotent imaginary friend who lives in the sky - and UNLESS he loves this imaginary friend unconditionally despite the fact that He is allowing the child to suffer and die.

No, wait, that's the Christians.

LittleNipper

It may be truthful, but that doesn't mean it's valuable to express it in certain situations. Just like if you started preaching to me about jesus on my deathbed, I'd tell you to take a hike. The same would apply to an atheist who would act so disrespectfully to a believer. I may think my co-worker's hair is hideous, but I don't tell her. It's the same concept. Most of us undertand it by the time we're about 8 or so years old. I'm sure if you think about it long enough, you'll get it too.

But you see, I can fully express my Christianity to a dying child and in the process make that child feel especially loved, wanted and that his/her life has purpose and meaning. Not just an accident nor a roll of the dice. The atheist really speaks in terms of what isn't expessed, not said, or even lies to not upset the dying child.

Cobblestones

Devoid of Ettiquette
What exactly does an atheist tell a dying child?
Personally, I would have no compunction whatsoever in telling my dying child that I don't know what happens after death and turning the conversation back to the beautiful things we have shared together here. I mean, seriously, does a fairy tale of heaven stop Christians from fearing death? I have yet to meet anyone who isn't afraid of dying regardless of what they profess.

LittleNipper

That he's a sinner, and his little body will be resurrected whole to be tortured for all eternity by the demons of hell, UNLESS he truly believes with all his heart in an omnipotent imaginary friend who lives in the sky - and UNLESS he loves this imaginary friend unconditionally despite the fact that He is allowing the child to suffer and die.

No, wait, that's the Christians.

No, that GOD sent JESUS to suffer in his place, and that GOD allows suffering to sometime bring everyone around closer to GOD. And in suffering one can be like CHRIST. And that GOD will provide the faith, all one needs to do is ask. GOD will ease the pain, all one needs to do is call out to GOD...

Cobblestones

Devoid of Ettiquette
But you see, I can fully express my Christianity to a dying child and in the process make that child feel especially loved, wanted and that his/her life has purpose and meaning. Not just an accident nor a roll of the dice. The atheist really speaks in terms of what isn't expessed, not said, or even lies to not upset the dying child.
So, you think that we atheists cannot find value in life unless we admit that it's simply a prelude to some bigger unknown? That doesn't seem very reasonable to me. Do you tell your wife you love her because some day you'll spend eternity together? Do you look on your newborn child and say, "I can love this child because it has an eternal soul?" Of course not. You love them for who and what they are here and now. What's the big mystery?

mr.guy

crapsack
Most of the downsides in Atheism are due to the Atheist in question rather than Atheism as a whole...

To describe "Atheism as a whole" is really a pretty strange summary.

... (those atheists who insist they can't proselytize while simultaneously cramming their ideology down your throat spring to mind).

Ideology? Are you sure?

Since atheism is essentially the lack of a deity it has neither the negatives nor the positives of theism, it's pretty much down to the individual (which I would consider a positive element of atheism by the way).

Not essentially, entirely.

Personally speaking, the only real downside I see to Atheism generally, is that I think it's boring...

I should certainly hope so.

Cobblestones

Devoid of Ettiquette
No, that GOD sent JESUS to suffer in his place, and that GOD allows suffering to sometime bring everyone around closer to GOD. And in suffering one can be like CHRIST. And that GOD will provide the faith, all one needs to do is ask. GOD will ease the pain, all one needs to do is call out to GOD...
I don't find it very comforting to know that God thinks I deserve to suffer in the first place because of the way he made me and I certainly don't find it comforting to know that someone else had to suffer for the same reason.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I'd rather teach and guide my children based on preparing them for a long and fulfilling life, rather than on the expectation that they're going to die. Maybe that's just me. Then again, being an atheist makes me want to embrace life rather than constantly worry about death.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

One of the main emotional reasons, as well as proselytizing tools, of Christianity, is fear of death. The Christian believes that he will not die, because he's a Christian.

Need I point out what a safe con this is? How transparently manipulative?

mr.guy

crapsack
Boring? You really need to get out of the city some time and check out the planet you live on. Hardly boring!
...i'm pretty sure that one need not be an atheist to "check out the planet".

However, dressing up a ****-simple ontology is probably what draws comments and perceptions that there is an ideology to atheism. Hardly necessary, and kinda deceptive, really.

Erebus

1.To describe "Atheism as a whole" is really a pretty strange summary.

2.Ideology? Are you sure?

3.Not essentially, entirely.

4.I should certainly hope so.

1. Definitely, which is why I place so much emphasis on individual practices (not just in regards to atheism either)

2. Perhaps "personal ideology" would have been more appropriate? I'm talking here about those atheists (and yes I'm well aware it's not all atheists) who insist that theism is the result of delusion/stupidity etc

3. Sure ok

4. Yay, everyone's happy ;)

Erebus

Boring? You really need to get out of the city some time and check out the planet you live on. Hardly boring!

Lucky me has a flat in Manchester and family in Derbyshire, I get the best of both worlds ;)
I'm not saying that a person needs Gods to appreciate the world, I'm just saying that to me personally, no belief in deities s more boring than belief in deities. I iknow a lot of people have the exact opposite viewpoint and this is perfectly fine. It all comes down to "what works for you?" :)

Alceste

Vagabond

Or wait, maybe that's the DEVIL. The DEVIL can quote scripture, they say. OK, well, it MIGHT be GOD easing your suffering but be careful it's not SATAN because he's tricksy that way. Anyway, it's really a toss of the coin, since GOD wants you to suffer but if you get angry at him for that he will let SATAN woo your eternal soul and drag you to hell for your sins.

Bla bla bla. None of that is going to make a dying child perk up. Get him a baseball signed by his favourite player. Take him to Disney Land.

I suggest you call up the Make-A-Wish Foundation and ask them how many of their beneficiaries ask to be taken to church for one last sermon.

mr.guy

crapsack
1. Definitely, which is why I place so much emphasis on individual practices (not just in regards to atheism either)
I think it's incorrect to marry personal practices to atheism. For the most part, i should call those incidental.

2. Perhaps "personal ideology" would have been more appropriate?

Sure...but that's by no means an atheistic stance; i don't see how atheism "naturally" insinuates or leads to very many ethical conclusions, for example.

For example, it's likely the very rare cause that's going to rally much support just because there's no god. Get down to it, it's not very sexy.

From a secular standpoint, an atheist may be highly unlikely to be very sympathetic to religious causes for their own sake, but incidental views and priorities come into play for how one aligns themselves with causes and ideologies.

While a religious shorthand allows one to say they behave in such and such a way because "god wants me to", any behaviour can be mirrored, any practiced aped without fear of contravening some atheistic mantra or dogma. None is provided, and little foundation is really offered to build on. Personal ideologies, in my view, are not often well described as principly atheistic.

I'm talking here about those atheists (and yes I'm well aware it's not all atheists) who insist that theism is the result of delusion/stupidity etc

Bear in mind, that's very far being just an atheistic standpoint, here. The majority of the religious frequently label each other foolish for not sharing each others views. The atheist merely distinguishes him/herself by having a much easier time of it.