• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Atheists just close minded Agnostics?

riley2112

Hey, riley. Could you define God for me? Seriously. I'd really like to hear your concept of God.

If you don't want to present a real definition, can you just tell me one true thing about God?
Why do we talk about "God" anyway? To the atheists this makes little sense because they can only think in terms of a big guy with a white bread. Where did he come from? Well, they can't really be blame because the laziness of mind and churches has led Christians to settle for this Santa Clause-like figure. Which by the way upsets me, but it is what it is.So again why do we talk about God? We sense the sublime, the special nature of things, the special sense of how our own being in the world is laid out in relation to everything else. and "everything else" this giant web of related things, in relation to some higher sense of the special. That is the core essence of the religious a priori. Why else would one talk about God? What's the point of even believing in God if it isn't some sense of the special? If it is not life transformation, why bother with it? If there were no sense of the "big religious fix,"If that wasn't real for me I would still be an atheist, so I would say the atheist are right. But they are not right because I do have that sense of the sublime in relation to thoughts of the divine, and a sense of utter dependence in the face of God talk. God gave me life, and just because I do not understand Him, because you do not understand him, that my friend is not reason enough to just walk away shaking my head and thinking , I don't understand so I will not believe.

Last edited:

riley2112

I noticed that you are a Strong atheist, can you clear something up for me , and I do understand that you can not talk for all atheist. However, does atheist believe that God does not exist in any form or that the Bible God does not exist? Or is it that God could exist if you had evidence for it? Just wondering>

Photonic

Ad astra!
I noticed that you are a Strong atheist, can you clear something up for me , and I do understand that you can not talk for all atheist. However, does atheist believe that God does not exist in any form or that the Bible God does not exist? Or is it that God could exist if you had evidence for it? Just wondering>

I can only speak for myself, but there is no empirical evidence that supports any deity, so I take the default position of not accepting an unsubstantiated claim.

AmbiguousGuy

No, I don't think I can tell you one true thing about God. I can only tell you qualities which I personally like to attach to God. But even those qualities can change from time to time depending on my current purpose for discussing God.

Creator. I think that if God isn't the creator, then we should probably trash the word 'God' altogether.

Conscious, Willful Creator? No, I think probably not. I don't usually think of God as having any sort of personality. Well, except when I'm doing some fun speculation or discussing God with a person who does think of Him (Her/It) as having a personality.

So can you tell me one true thing about God?

(I don't understand your facepalm, by the way. Does it have a particular meaning in your usage above?)

riley2112

No, I don't think I can tell you one true thing about God. I can only tell you qualities which I personally like to attach to God. But even those qualities can change from time to time depending on my current purpose for discussing God.

Creator. I think that if God isn't the creator, then we should probably trash the word 'God' altogether.

Conscious, Willful Creator? No, I think probably not. I don't usually think of God as having any sort of personality. Well, except when I'm doing some fun speculation or discussing God with a person who does think of Him (Her/It) as having a personality.

(I don't understand your facepalm, by the way. Does it have a particular meaning in your usage above?)
so may I ask what did creates the universe?

AmbiguousGuy

so may I ask what did creates the universe?

Hey, riley. I'll get to your other message in a bit, but let me try to answer this question.

If I knew what created the universe, I'd be a famous triple-Nobel winner. Maybe I'd even be God.

I don't know that the universe even needs a creator. That's human thinking -- that everything needs a creator -- but it may not be so.

Anyway, the question is so far beyond my ability to answer that I don't spend much time pondering it. I need to take smaller bites. I think we're getting pretty far away from the OP, too. If you'd like to continue this, we (or the mods) may need to start a new thread.

AmbiguousGuy

I think most atheists would be happy to believe in God if there were compelling evidence for God. Why not? Atheists tend to be highly rational people. They look at the evidence, ponder it, and (sometimes) make a conclusion.

AmbiguousGuy

Why do we talk about "God" anyway? To the atheists this makes little sense because they can only think in terms of a big guy with a white bread. Where did he come from? Well, they can't really be blame because the laziness of mind and churches has led Christians to settle for this Santa Clause-like figure. Which by the way upsets me, but it is what it is.So again why do we talk about God? We sense the sublime, the special nature of things, the special sense of how our own being in the world is laid out in relation to everything else. and "everything else" this giant web of related things, in relation to some higher sense of the special. That is the core essence of the religious a priori. Why else would one talk about God? What's the point of even believing in God if it isn't some sense of the special? If it is not life transformation, why bother with it? If there were no sense of the "big religious fix,"If that wasn't real for me I would still be an atheist, so I would say the atheist are right. But they are not right because I do have that sense of the sublime in relation to thoughts of the divine, and a sense of utter dependence in the face of God talk. God gave me life, and just because I do not understand Him, because you do not understand him, that my friend is not reason enough to just walk away shaking my head and thinking , I don't understand so I will not believe.

Thanks for writing all that, Riley. I think you’ll have to admit, though, that it isn’t a definition of God. It’s a healtfelt and eloquent expression of why you pursue God, I think, but not a definition. The best I can extract from it is that for you ‘God’ means something like ‘a sense of the divine.’

And I agree with you. That’s pretty much how I think of God. The only difference between me and most other atheists is that I continue to find the word ‘God’ a fun and useful concept, worthy of hard thought. Most of my atheist colleagues simply walk about from Santa in the Sky -- opposing the word ‘God’ -- while I prefer to work at molding a coherent concept to underlie it.

Hey, it’s an ancient and important word. Why toss it away if we can instead tweak its meaning and continue using it?

riley2112

Hey, riley. I'll get to your other message in a bit, but let me try to answer this question.

If I knew what created the universe, I'd be a famous triple-Nobel winner. Maybe I'd even be God.

I don't know that the universe even needs a creator. That's human thinking -- that everything needs a creator -- but it may not be so.

Anyway, the question is so far beyond my ability to answer that I don't spend much time pondering it. I need to take smaller bites. I think we're getting pretty far away from the OP, too. If you'd like to continue this, we (or the mods) may need to start a new thread.
Thank you , that is the most honest answer I have ever got on any forum. :bow:

cablescavenger

I figured you should be able to figure it out! An atheist who believes that all supernatural beliefs are delusional and dangerous is not going to be open-minded.

Open minded, does not mean accepting anything spoon fed to you, some people apply a thought process.

IMO it is not a good thing to propagate any lie, so all an atheist asks is for claims to be substantiated before accepting them as truth.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
surely you joke. It never seems to amaze me when someone starts talking about God not being important or of no value or does not exist. There are around 7 billion people on the planet and over 6 billion of them believe in God in one form or another. How many are talking about you? And I am not saying that you have no value. But you can get on any , and I do mean any forum. Even the ones that say they do not believe in God and those of us who do are foolish, guess what they are talking about , dare I say it ? God. Sooner or later you people are going to understand that we are all the same.
Except that until we pin down a meaning for the term "God", we have no reason to assume that all the people using the word are talking about the same thing.

And if the best reason you have for valuing God is that lots of other people do it, then I'd say that you haven't really presented any good reason to value God.

You can say there is a God , or you can say there is not a God. but when you get right down to it . WE DON'T KNOW ONE WAY OR THE OTHER FOR SURE. But it is interesting to talk about.
Do you think that this means that we should give equal weight to both options?

As an analogy, I could do the math to show you there is very definitely non-zero probability that when you're swimming in the ocean, an island of salt will spontaneously crystallize beneath you and carry you out to sea. Would you criticize someone for calling it foolish to go swimming with a (waterproof) backpack of supplies to be ready for this happening?

Now... can you give any good reason to suggest why the possibility of God has any more merit than the possibility of a person being marooned on an island of salt?

Yes, we can recognize that human knowledge has limits and is imperfect, but this doesn't mean we have to throw up our hands and declare all ideas equally good.

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
The emphasis there should be on the word ALL I believe CO.

Evidence might easily contradict a specific supernatural belief or even a series of beliefs, however to rule out all potential supernatural beliefs would require evidence of extraordinary scope and of incontestable validity - most if not all agnostics and theists would claim there is no evidence sufficient to rule out ALL supernatural beliefs. For that reason, to rule out the possibility that ANY supernatural belief is potentially valid is likely to rely on premises or reasoning that has insufficient evidence and is therefore a poorly constructed position - one not open to the possibility of fallibility and therefore close-minded.

riley2112

9-10ths_Penguinsorry for posting this way , the computer said I had an error on line. However I did not what to lose what I had typed. So please bear with me this once.
A meaning for God, simply , one that nothing more can be conceived. With over 6 billion people believing in Him or Her or It, you better believe that God or at least the thought of him has value. History has been made and written because of the belief in a God that you place no value on. The very God you may or may not believe in is the very reason that the world is the way it is today. (good or bad) . The people of this planet believes in a God in one form or another, or at least most of them , again over 6 billion out of the 7 billion that are on this planet,and because of that very belief, it dictates not only the history of our world but also the future. So yea, I think we should show at least the thought of God as something that is of value. Be He real or not.
And as for your salt analogy, which by the way I found amusing. That is immaterial but I will try to figure out some way to make it pertain to this discussion.
Let me think . Oh yea, can you name me a book that has been around for centuries or name me millions or billions that live their life praying to or even talking about an island of salt You are really reaching here, and you know it . Any way I hope you know it . And once again. just because we have no proof of a Creator , ( I did not say evidence) doesn't mean we have to throw up our hands and declare that an idea is bad.
However you seem to have a different take on things. I would love to hear your thoughts if you are done rattling around with mine.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
9-10ths_Penguinsorry for posting this way , the computer said I had an error on line. However I did not what to lose what I had typed. So please bear with me this once.

Sure - no worries.

A meaning for God, simply , one that nothing more can be conceived.
Ah... the definition from Anselm's ontological argument. Yeah... it's a really bad one, IMO.

For starters, by relying on subjective terms like "more" (or "greater" in his original formulation, IIRC), it's not really any less vague than the term "God" was in the first place.

And secondly, it has built into it some very strange assumptions about human conception, the most important being that there can be only one thing that is "more" (or "greater") enough to be beyond conception. IOW, you and Anselm implictly say that we can conceive of every single non-God thing. I've never once seen anyone genuinely try to address this rather hubristic assumption built into the definition you're using.

And if you don't deal with it, then "one that nothing more can be conceived" isn't "God"; it's "a member of a set of which God may or may not also be a member."

Also, since we're talking about this in the context of universality of beliefs, I'd question your other implicit assumption that Anselm's definition of God even works with all the theistic beliefs you're trying to cite in support of your position.

With over 6 billion people believing in Him or Her or It, you better believe that God or at least the thought of him has value.
And 50 million Elvis fans can't be wrong, right? The mere fact that a belief is widely shared doesn't mean it's correct.

... especially not if you put stock in the concept of "memes" popularized by Richard Dawkins: i.e. that there are ideas that get spread because of things other than their truth.

History has been made and written because of the belief in a God that you place no value on. The very God you may or may not believe in is the very reason that the world is the way it is today. (good or bad) . The people of this planet believes in a God in one form or another, or at least most of them , again over 6 billion out of the 7 billion that are on this planet,and because of that very belief, it dictates not only the history of our world but also the future. So yea, I think we should show at least the thought of God as something that is of value. Be He real or not.
I think we're talking past each other here, or at least we're using the same words to talk about different things.

I'm not saying that religion hasn't been (and doesn't continue to be) a significant force in the shaping of human society; of course it has. This tangent started when AmbiguousGuy objected to people "cheapening" God... IOW, he was implying that it would be wrong for anyone not to value God. Since I took this as his way of telling me to value God, I tried to ask him why I should, as I think is appropriate when anyone asks me to do anything - it's important to find out if there's a good reason behind the request.

In the case of God, I think we're each free to place our own value on him/her/it/them - including no value at all - unless God himself (which is something very different from belief in God, which I think you seem to be conflating here) is going to impose himself in our lives... IOW if he actually exists and can be known to exist. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter whether we value God or not.

And as for your salt analogy, which by the way I found amusing. That is immaterial but I will try to figure out some way to make it pertain to this discussion.
Let me think . Oh yea, can you name me a book that has been around for centuries or name me millions or billions that live their life praying to or even talking about an island of salt You are really reaching here, and you know it . Any way I hope you know it .

No, I think you just missed my point, that's all.

Of course there are epistemiological limits to human knowledge. Of course we're limited creatures who can't have perfect understanding, so there will always be a gap to shove not just God, but any idea into. Still, I think it's sometimes a useful exercise to compare religious claims not against some standard of perfect knowledge, but instead against some other idea that we've decided with practical certainty is foolish or bad.

My whole point was to confront an idea that's usually built into arguments like the one you gave in your last post: that "we don't know with certainty" implies an equal 50-50 probability of being right. It doesn't. We can say "we don't know with certainty" for every single premise anyone can put forward, as long as it's not self-contradictory. Appealing to this fact as an argument for belief in God puts belief in God in the exact same category as every single crackpot idea ever made, while at the same time gives absolutely no positive reason to even suspect that God might actually exist.

And once again. just because we have no proof of a Creator , ( I did not say evidence) doesn't mean we have to throw up our hands and declare that an idea is bad.
I was going at things the other way: I was trying to point out that just because human knowledge has limits doesn't mean we must always take "God exists" as a reasonable proposition.

riley2112

[/color][/color]
Sure - no worries.

Ah... the definition from Anselm's ontological argument. Yeah... it's a really bad one, IMO.

For starters, by relying on subjective terms like "more" (or "greater" in his original formulation, IIRC), it's not really any less vague than the term "God" was in the first place.

And secondly, it has built into it some very strange assumptions about human conception, the most important being that there can be only one thing that is "more" (or "greater") enough to be beyond conception. IOW, you and Anselm implictly say that we can conceive of every single non-God thing. I've never once seen anyone genuinely try to address this rather hubristic assumption built into the definition you're using.

And if you don't deal with it, then "one that nothing more can be conceived" isn't "God"; it's "a member of a set of which God may or may not also be a member."

Also, since we're talking about this in the context of universality of beliefs, I'd question your other implicit assumption that Anselm's definition of God even works with all the theistic beliefs you're trying to cite in support of your position.

And 50 million Elvis fans can't be wrong, right? The mere fact that a belief is widely shared doesn't mean it's correct.

... especially not if you put stock in the concept of "memes" popularized by Richard Dawkins: i.e. that there are ideas that get spread because of things other than their truth.

I think we're talking past each other here, or at least we're using the same words to talk about different things.

I'm not saying that religion hasn't been (and doesn't continue to be) a significant force in the shaping of human society; of course it has. This tangent started when AmbiguousGuy objected to people "cheapening" God... IOW, he was implying that it would be wrong for anyone not to value God. Since I took this as his way of telling me to value God, I tried to ask him why I should, as I think is appropriate when anyone asks me to do anything - it's important to find out if there's a good reason behind the request.

In the case of God, I think we're each free to place our own value on him/her/it/them - including no value at all - unless God himself (which is something very different from belief in God, which I think you seem to be conflating here) is going to impose himself in our lives... IOW if he actually exists and can be known to exist. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter whether we value God or not.

No, I think you just missed my point, that's all.

Of course there are epistemiological limits to human knowledge. Of course we're limited creatures who can't have perfect understanding, so there will always be a gap to shove not just God, but any idea into. Still, I think it's sometimes a useful exercise to compare religious claims not against some standard of perfect knowledge, but instead against some other idea that we've decided with practical certainty is foolish or bad.

My whole point was to confront an idea that's usually built into arguments like the one you gave in your last post: that "we don't know with certainty" implies an equal 50-50 probability of being right. It doesn't. We can say "we don't know with certainty" for every single premise anyone can put forward, as long as it's not self-contradictory. Appealing to this fact as an argument for belief in God puts belief in God in the exact same category as every single crackpot idea ever made, while at the same time gives absolutely no positive reason to even suspect that God might actually exist.

I was going at things the other way: I was trying to point out that just because human knowledge has limits doesn't mean we must always take "God exists" as a reasonable proposition.
No matter how hard I try. I can not find anything here that I disagree with, in theory. It would seem that we both have the same facts , just different conclusions. And that works for me. If you don't mind I would like to get some more of your thoughts about things in the future.

Photonic

Ad astra!

I saw it as highly ironic that one would ask for a truth about a God, when they themselves have little chance of doing the same.