• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Atheists just close minded Agnostics?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
works for me.
:)

I don't believe in "no belief" for any proposition: if a proposition is made, there is belief. It may be a tiny amount or a great amount, it may be weighted toward the proposition being true (belief), the proposition being false (disbelief), or neutrality on the issue of truth (withholding belief) but there is some aspect of belief.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Here's a hypothetical scenario for you: Bob tells us that he has a pet dog. While we're visiting his house, we don't see any dog. We also don't see any dog food, water bowls, dog hair on the furniture, droppings in the yard, or photos of the dog, despite seeing the whole house.

You ask Bob if he still has the dog. "Of course! He's right here in the house!"

All we have to inform our opinion of whether Bob has a dog is Bob's say-so and a lack of evidence for an actual dog. And despite what we've seen, I say to you, "I'm still open to the idea that Bob has a dog, and no amount of dog-free house or lack of dog is ever going to convince me otherwise."

Now... keeping in mind that lack of evidence can itself be evidence (as in the case of the dog-free house), would you say that I would be open-minded or closed- minded to the evidence by taking that position?
Bad hypothetical IMHO.

If you take away the statement, "he is right here". I'll bite.

The bowls may be in the closet and the dog may be a breed that does not shed. There may be pictures, but they are not available. The dog may be gone at the groomers.

What I can say is, I doubt he has a dog. I have seen no sign of a dog. He may clean up after the dog becasue he has OCD.

No one says, "Jesus is sitting on the couch right next to me".

Lack of belief is different than non-belief. One is stronger than the other.

If we where in a court of law, I would have to conclude Bob has no dog beyond a reasonable doubt.

An agnostic has reasonable doubt. An Atheist believes there is no God beyond a reasonable doubt.

riley2112

:)

I don't believe in "no belief" for any proposition: if a proposition is made, there is belief. It may be a tiny amount or a great amount, it may be weighted toward the proposition being true (belief), the proposition being false (disbelief), or neutrality on the issue of truth (withholding belief) but there is some aspect of belief.
I would have to agree with that , I guess that would be belief in belief.:surf:

idav

Being
Premium Member
It requires withholding belief.
Not withholding belief of a being that does not exist. It withholds belief that any current or future evidence will ever point to such a being existing. Requiring sufficient evidence to believe something exists is logical.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Exactly, it requires non-belief. The truth is, we don't know for sure.

The big bang for instance. Nothing just goes bang for no reason. What caused the bang? Something right? The truth of the matter is, we just don't know.
Not knowing the answer to that goes the same for theists and atheists whom both believe something that is currently not completely knowable. Theists actually have the claim to know what did it but an atheist would just say "i don't know what did it but whatever it is wasn't god".

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Not knowing the answer to that goes the same for theists and atheists whom both believe something that is currently not completely knowable. Theists actually have the claim to know what did it but an atheist would just say "i don't know what did it but whatever it is wasn't god".
This thread is not about Theists.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Back to the dog, I'm closed minded that Bob has a dog. People who have reasonable doubt believe it is not impossible Bob has a dog, they still have an open mind about Bob's dog.

idav

Being
Premium Member
This thread is not about Theists.
My point was atheists don't normally claim to know they just eliminate one possibility. It isn't so much non-belief in some entity that doesn't exist. It is a belief that there is a more logical explanation whatever that might be.

riley2112

OK, you have closed your mind.
A closed mind would not take in any new evidence. It looks to me that he has looked at the evidence and has decided that God does not exist. However if new evidence came to light He would look at it and make a decision on the evidence at that time.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
A closed mind would not take in any new evidence. It looks to me that he has looked at the evidence and has decided that God does not exist. However if new evidence came to light He would look at it and make a decision on the evidence at that time.
Please give me an example of what kind of new evidence is even possible, short of the second coming?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Is that really want you took as the point of that statement. Really?:facepalm:

OK, I told Mr. Trout that I though he had a closed mind about God.

Then I said I could be wrong so I am keeping my mind open.

You said if evidence was presented he would look at it.

Trying to keep my mind open I asked you what kind of evidence he would consider short of proof positive.

What I really take from this is people might pretend to have an open mind, but it is just lip service.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
OK, I told Mr. Trout that I though he had a closed mind about God.

Then I said I could be wrong so I am keeping my mind open.

You said if evidence was presented he would look at it.

Trying to keep my mind open I asked you what kind of evidence he would consider short of proof positive.

What I really take from this is people might pretend to have an open mind, but it is just lip service.

Sounds like somebody's mind may be closed.