• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Atheists just close minded Agnostics?

riley2112

OK, I told Mr. Trout that I though he had a closed mind about God.

Then I said I could be wrong so I am keeping my mind open.

You said if evidence was presented he would look at it.

Trying to keep my mind open I asked you what kind of evidence he would consider short of proof positive.

What I really take from this is people might pretend to have an open mind, but it is just lip service.
I would have no idea what kind of evidence he would believe However but considering any evidence , that in it self would indicate an open mind. One does not have to agree with an idea to have an open mind. But , being that you brought it up , what would you consider evidence to change your belief? Is your mind open or closed? And how would you define an open mind?

riley2112

The truth be told, I think the only open minded people are Agnostics on this subject.
so are you saying that theists simply are confused, deluded, sheep-like people willing to believe whatever is told them? and atheists are egotistical infidel recalcitrants who would stubbornly refuse to believe even if an angel appeared and proclaimed God's existence? And the only ones that have an honest thought are Agnostics? Really?

Last edited:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I would have no idea what kind of evidence he would believe However but considering any evidence , that in it self would indicate an open mind. One does not have to agree with an idea to have an open mind. But , being that you brought it up , what would you consider evidence to change your belief? Is your mind open or closed? And how would you define an open mind?
I'm open minded about Mr.Trout's claim he has an open mind, but seeing that he is a self proclaimd Agnostic, it only goes to prove my point, but then again I could be wrong. I'm just guessing, I don't claim to be able to read his mind.

If it comes to believing in God, like most Atheists, I have a closed mind.

riley2112

I'm open minded about Mr.Trout's claim he has an open mind, but seeing that he is a self proclaimd Agnostic, it only goes to prove my point, but then again I could be wrong. I'm just guessing, I don't claim to be able to read his mind.

If it comes to believing in God, like most Atheists, I have a closed mind.
So, just to make sure I understand what you are saying, you have a closed mind when it comes to believing in God. So if God Himself came down and stood in front and proved he was God in any way you wanted , you still would not believe in God. Is that correct?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
so are you saying thattheists simply are confused, deluded, sheep-like people willing to believe whatever is told them? and atheists are egotistical infidel recalcitrants who would stubbornly refuse to believe even if an angel appeared and proclaimed God's existence? And the only ones that have an honest thought are Agnostics? Really?
While this thread is not about Theists, most of them are closed minded as well. Everything else you just said is hyperbole IMHO.

All three groups could not dispute proof positive, but some of them would.

Pretending you have an open mind waiting on something that is not going to happen is dishonest.

riley2112

While this thread is not about Theists, most of them are closed minded as well. Everything else you just said is hyperbole IMHO.

All three groups could not dispute proof positive, but some of them would.

Pretending you have an open mind waiting on something that is not going to happen is dishonest.
So now having a closed mind gives you the ability to see what is and what is not going to happen. That is an interesting thought.
However I will agree that most Theists I have known are closed minded to the point of WOW! And that is saying alot being that I am Christian. However I believe that I have a very open mind. But I , at this time , do not believe I am waiting for something that is not going to happen. So I guess I am still being honest. However I would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
So, just to make sure I understand what you are saying, you have a closed mind when it comes to believing in God. So if God Himself came down and stood in front and proved he was God in any way you wanted , you still would not believe in God. Is that correct?
No, I am a Theist who has an equally closed mind like most Atheists.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
While I admit that it's possible that someone stuffed my mailbox full of one hundred dollar bills, I'm not expecting to find any when I do check my mail because it's improbable.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
So now having a closed mind gives you the ability to see what is and what is not going to happen. That is an interesting thought.
However I will agree that most Theists I have known are closed minded to the point of WOW! And that is saying alot being that I am Christian. However I believe that I have a very open mind. But I , at this time , do not believe I am waiting for something that is not going to happen. So I guess I am still being honest. However I would love to hear your thoughts on it.

I believe Christ will return and that will be proof positive. I don't believe God will make it possible to prove anything to anyone because then faith will be moot.

I believe God wants us to believe in the unprovable and there will not be any evidence forth coming.

Do you believe that Atheists will have something to consider before Christ returns?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I believe Christ will return and that will be proof positive. I don't believe God will make it possible to prove anything to anyone because then faith will be moot.

I believe God wants us to believe in the unprovable and there will not be any evidence forth coming.

Do you believe that Atheists will have something to consider before Christ returns?

Why would god gift us with the ability to reason only to punish us for using it?

Also, a distinction should be made between god and how mortals have perceived and portrayed god. For example, person A says George Washington didn't exist, Person B says George Washing shot lasers from his eyes. Who's right?

Last edited:

riley2112

No, I am a Theist who has an equally closed mind like most Atheists.
Oh , I see, can one with a closed mind truly seek out the truth? And isn't the truth what we all want? That is one of the things that confuse me about the faith I follow. It would seem that most of my faith are closed minded which defeats the very purpose of what I believe God wants. I believe he wants us all to be saved and to do that we must all believe , for that to happen we must all seek the truth. If God is the truth then once all investigation is done , He will still be the truth. So open your mind. I want some one to prove to me that God is not real. Because in trying to do so they may find the truth and then they will believe. Just a thought, I know I am getting off subject here so I will exit :run: thanks for letting me up on my soap box. Stay open.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Why would god gift us with the ability to reason only to punish us for using it?
Why would God speak to Moses, allow him to live all those years, part the red sea for him and then let him die before his people found their promise land?

Moses was so faithful yet was denied the promise land.