• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Christians Persecuted In The United States?

mcteethinator

Idiosyncratic Muslim
Fundamentalists and evangelicals are disliked, but I don't think Christians are persecuted. I'd say the most persecuted group in the US are the Muslims. Although this is moreso in Europe.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I guess it is how you define the word persecuted. I believe the most persecuted religion would be the Jewish faith, yet they are among some of the most sucessful people on earth

PureX

Veteran Member
Fundamentalists and evangelicals are disliked, but I don't think Christians are persecuted. I'd say the most persecuted group in the US are the Muslims. Although this is moreso in Europe.
Right now, the most persecuted groups in the United States are homosexuals and African americans. And Christians are often those doing the persecuting.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Discriminated against? Perhaps.

Maligned? Definitely.

Stereotyped? Assuredly.

But persecuted? No, not at all!

mcteethinator

Idiosyncratic Muslim
Right now, the most persecuted groups in the United States are homosexuals and African americans. And Christians are often those doing the persecuting.

Whoops I meant religious group.

I guess it is how you define the word persecuted. I believe the most persecuted religion would be the Jewish faith, yet they are among some of the most sucessful people on earth

Anti-semitism is taboo now. Bashing Muslims in general (And not just the terrorists) is common place and accepted. I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 to 20 years, there were pograms and camps for Muslims, although I definitely hope that doesn't happen.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
In America?? Very rarely. I'm sure some people have been beaten, but it certainly doesn't happen often. I wish I could punch people who claim that violence in the media is persecution, and tell them I did just because they are Christian, just so they realize they have never been persecuted.

We are not persecuted, we are in control of society. What is changing is the enboldenment of other beliefs challenging our control.
Last I checked, the Christian nation idea is being challenged, and slowly loosing control. It won't be soon, but I foresee a day when religion will have such an insignificant hold on government and society, a Bible won't even be used to swear someone in for court or public office. It won't even make an appearance.

mcteethinator

Idiosyncratic Muslim
In America?? Very rarely. I'm sure some people have been beaten, but it certainly doesn't happen often. I wish I could punch people who claim that violence in the media is persecution, and tell them I did just because they are Christian, just so they realize they have never been persecuted.

I didn't mean bashing literally, although it has happened. I just mean general discrimination.

Shadow Wolf

I didn't mean bashing literally, although it has happened. I just mean general discrimination.
In that context, then I doubt ever. When I think of persecution, I tend to think not only discrimination, but also threats, beatings, death threats, killings, and other such stuff.

rojse

RF Addict

How general is discrimination?

Many people make personal choices and decisions based on faith. Would this be classified as discrimination?

What about censuses? They ask what religion you are. Is that discrimination?

mcteethinator

Idiosyncratic Muslim
In that context, then I doubt ever. When I think of persecution, I tend to think not only discrimination, but also threats, beatings, death threats, killings, and other such stuff.

I meant as in

What I said I was just saying "bashing" in the "It's okay to be bigoted towards them", but there have been death threats on this Mosque that was trying to start in some backwards Texas town and I regularly here of Muslim kids being beaten up in school for "making 9/11" etc.

How general is discrimination?

Many people make personal choices and decisions based on faith. Would this be classified as discrimination?

What about censuses? They ask what religion you are. Is that discrimination?

You missed my point.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I meant as in

What I said I was just saying "bashing" in the "It's okay to be bigoted towards them", but there have been death threats on this Mosque that was trying to start in some backwards Texas town and I regularly here of Muslim kids being beaten up in school for "making 9/11" etc.

It is not OK to mistreat people or show favoritism because of the differences between folks. Kids in school are cruel. They pick on each other for the smallest differences between each other. Most bullies have been abused by their parents or older siblings and are crying out for help in a most upsetting way by doing exactly what has been done to them. A backwoods Texas town only amplifies the problem that exists in every school.

Every single one of us has prejudices. Some of us are less honest about our personal faults than others. We cannot control our thoughts, but we can take responsibility for our actions towards others however.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Considering that my religion was illegal in the USA untill the 1970's I don't think the average Christian in the USA has anything to worry or complain about.

I do find the dichotomy of the Christain faith in the USA intresting, at once 'blessed' by being the USA and then 'opressed' by those same Americans.
Perhaps they need to feel somehow oppressed so that they can feel more like the early minority christians and not the powerful majority they are today?
The Bible says they will be oppressed, so they must be, even if they arn't.

wa:do

mcteethinator

Idiosyncratic Muslim
It is not OK to mistreat people or show favoritism because of the differences between folks. Kids in school are cruel. They pick on each other for the smallest differences between each other. Most bullies have been abused by their parents or older siblings and are crying out for help in a most upsetting way by doing exactly what has been done to them. A backwoods Texas town only amplifies the problem that exists in every school.

Every single one of us has prejudices. Some of us are less honest about our personal faults than others. We cannot control our thoughts, but we can take responsibility for our actions towards others however.

Touche.

I've also seen grafitti on American Mosques with "GO BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM" "TERRORISTS NOT WANTED HERE" etc. I don't think schoolyard bullies did that.

Although I'm very grateful for the tolerance of Muslims in America compared to Europe. My god.

Shadow Wolf

Although I'm very grateful for the tolerance of Muslims in America compared to Europe. My god.
Maybe it's out of fear, but from what I have read, England especially has accepted Muslim customs, and asked others to go out of there way to honor there customs.

The Bible says they will be oppressed, so they must be, even if they arn't.
I was once in that position. The world was evil, even though I had never seen evil before.

mcteethinator

Idiosyncratic Muslim
Maybe it's out of fear, but from what I have read, England especially has accepted Muslim customs, and asked others to go out of there way to honor there customs.

Fringe Jihadwatch-type movements have a lot more popular support in Europe (Not just England) then in America. Take some of the stuff in the Netherlands for example, or France with it's hijab-banning laws. And somehow Europe is supposed to be the more progressive region?

w00t

All faiths should have equal value, imo, unless their ethos is harmful to others as in the case of extreme fundamentalist Muslims and Christians!

rojse

RF Addict
I believe that this thread was created to ask whether Christians were persecuted in the United States.

I am sure that should this question be changed to another religion, such as Muslim, we would get a different response. Perhaps someone could start that thread to find out some answers.