• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there Aliens?

Are UFOs real?

• UFOs do not exist.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • UFOs were created only as government projects.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • UFOs were/are created as joint alien-government projects.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • More evidence is needed before I can decide whether or not UFOs exist.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

yuvgotmel

I agree James, on your last point that is. However, the "lunatic fringe" has quite a large gathering. In fact, the book series "Left Behind" has now sold over 70,000 copies. It is among that group and other such groups that are claiming that there is an "alien agenda" which is hostile towards mankind.

yuvgotmel

Here is more information concerning some of the modern religious views of aliens.
The Popular Bible Prophecy Workbook: An Interactive Guide to Understanding the End Times
by Tim F. LaHaye, Edward E. Hindson
Throughout the world, people have mysteriously disappeared. Theories abound--terrorists, UFOs, aliens from another planet. For those who have been left behind, the apocalypse has just begun. This fictional account of life after the Rapture delivers an urgent call to today's readers to prepare their own hearts and minister to others.
It does seem as though, even modern Protestants, are not necessarily denying the existence of aliens. However, is that message skewed?

How will the existence of aliens affect religious views in general?

Dr. Nosophoros

Einstein believed in the mathematical possibility of "aliens", that doesn't mean every tin foil urban/country myth should be considered as true but I would think it's foolish to believe absolutely that we are living on the only habitable planet in the vast cosmos since we have no idea how far that space extends. All things considered, I sincerely hope it doesn't begin and end with us.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Even given the existance of space-aliens, I think the strongest argument against visitation is in the distances involved.

What are the chances that a civilization 100 light-years from here would send a fleet or even an exploratory probe, such a great distance, on the off chance that they might find an inhabited planet at journey's end?

The expenses would be incredible, the conceivable benefits very iffy, the chances of catastrophic problems huge and the time before any return on investment might be expected, centuries. The distances would make any trade or regular intercourse completely impractable.

SoyLeche

meh...
Seyorni said:
Even given the existance of space-aliens, I think the strongest argument against visitation is in the distances involved.

What are the chances that a civilization 100 light-years from here would send a fleet or even an exploratory probe, such a great distance, on the off chance that they might find an inhabited planet at journey's end?

The expenses would be incredible, the conceivable benefits very iffy, the chances of catastrophic problems huge and the time before any return on investment might be expected, centuries. The distances would make any trade or regular intercourse completely impractable.
... with known technology. You forgot about that implicit constraint you have put on your arguments.

yuvgotmel

Seyorni,

Yes, while that was the commonly accepted public thought by scientists around the 1970s, it appears from more and more recent news that, no matter what our limitations (for travel) may or may not be, governments are pushing for public discussions on this matter.
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2005/11/prweb314382.htm

Former Canadian Minister Of Defence Asks Canadian Parliament To Hold Hearings On Relations With Alien "Et" Civilizations

A former Canadian Minister of Defence has joined forces with three Non-governmental organizations to ask the Parliament of Canada to hold public hearings on with Alien “ET” Civilizations. Paul Hellyer, Canada’s Defence Minister from 1963-67 under Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Prime Minister Lester Pearson, publicly stated: "UFOs, are as real as the airplanes that fly over your head." Hellyer warned, "The United States military are preparing weapons which could be used against the aliens, and they could get us into an intergalactic war without us ever having any warning. Mr. Hellyer went on to say, "I'm so concerned about what the consequences might be of starting an intergalactic war, that I just think I had to say something." “Now is the time for open disclosure that there are ethical Extraterrestrial civilizations visiting Earth,” a spokesperson for the Non-Governmental Organizations stated. “Our Canadian government needs to openly address these important issues of the possible deployment of weapons in outer space and war plans against ethical Extraterrestrial societies.”

OTTAWA, CANADA (PRWEB) November 24, 2005 -- A former Canadian Minister of Defence and Deputy Prime Minister under Pierre Trudeau has joined forces with three Non-governmental organizations to ask the Parliament of Canada to hold public hearings on Exopolitics -- relations with “ETs.”

By “ETs,” Mr. Hellyer and these organizations mean ethical, advanced extraterrestrial civilizations that may now be visiting Earth.

On September 25, 2005, in a startling speech at the University of Toronto that caught the attention of mainstream newspapers and magazines, Paul Hellyer, Canada’s Defence Minister from 1963-67 under Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Prime Minister Lester Pearson, publicly stated: "UFOs, are as real as the airplanes that fly over your head."

(more at link above)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Relativity is a universal constant, Soy. Energy needed and practical speeds would pose similar problems to engineers everywhere.

That being said, there is always the theory that the LGM are interdimensional visitors. The physics of this type of phase-shift is little understood.

Of course, for the definitive answers to these questions, my state holds an annual, ahem... colloquium: http://www.roswellufofestival.com/

:D

yuvgotmel

Recent news (involving the UN) on alien existence:

http://www.ufodigest.com/unufo.html
[SIZE=+1]U.N. to debate contact with extraterrestrial civilizations

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]U.N. General Assembly Now Has Resolution To Establish United Nations Decade Of Contact & Diplomatic Relations With E.T.s[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] For the first time in almost 27 years, the United Nations General Assembly will be debating the issue of establishing diplomatic relations with advanced Extraterrestrial Civilizations that may now be visiting Earth. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] On December 16, 2005, a Resolution to establish a United Nations Decade of Contact was formally transmitted to the incoming President of the General Assembly, H.E. Jan Eliasson of Sweden by the Institute for Cooperation in Space (ICIS), a Non-Governmental Organization. President Eliasson was Sweden's Ambassador to the United Nations from 2000 to 2005.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] Almost to the day twenty-seven years ago, on December 18, 1978, the United Nations General Assembly voted to approve decision 33/426, inviting U.N. Member States "to take appropriate steps to coordinate on a national level scientific research and investigation into extraterrestrial life, including unidentified flying objects, and to inform the Secretary-General of the observations, research and evaluation of such activities." [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] Then U.S. President Jimmy Carter then supported the U.N. General Assembly's decision. Carter himself had a close Encounter of the First Kind with a UFO (Night Light) in October 1969, in the company of 10 members of the Leary, Georgia Lion's Club while he was running for Governor of Georgia. Four years later, while Governor of Georgia, Carter filed a public UFO sighting report, dated September 18, 1973. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1](more at link)[/SIZE]

A

angellous_evangellous

If you see an alien, pour some whiskey on him and then hit him with your bottle!

That will teach him not to rid the world of conservative evangelical wackos!

1368520~Jack-Daniels-Whiskey-Posters.jpg

A

angellous_evangellous

Go ahead, alien freak who wants to whisk away our belived evangelicals!

Make my day!
0937x.jpg

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
When I made this statement in my previous post –

Hema said:
II think that if there are aliens, they are the peaceful ones. People have sighted UFOs but how come aliens don't show themselves? I think it's because they know that we will be hostile and will want to lock them up, experiment with them etc. We can't even get along with each other moreover for aliens! We have a history of intolerance for anyone different from us eg. racism.

I was referring to an Indian movie I saw. It’s called “Koi Mil Gaya”. The alien, who they called Jadoo (Magic), was the peaceful one and he helped to heal a retarded young man. The authorities captured the alien but his human friends helped to rescue from the cruel authorities (who captured him as though he was an animal).

Jadoo was sooo cute!

film15_pic4.jpg

still21.jpg

yuvgotmel

Hema,

You mentioned that you might even have seen a UFO.

Some of the people who have witnessed UFOs claim to have had something of a "spiritual experience" at that time. Did you experience anything like that?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Fascinating!
Sri Jadu is blue, Like Lord Krishna, as if born of Vishnu!

Was this a conscious choice by the Director?

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
yuvgotmel said:
Hema,

You mentioned that you might even have seen a UFO.

Some of the people who have witnessed UFOs claim to have had something of a "spiritual experience" at that time. Did you experience anything like that?

Not really. What I did find strange though was that I was sound asleep and I just woke up peacefully. I was facing the window when I saw the light. It's almost as if I awoke just in time to see that light. I'm sure I wasn't dreaming because I woke up my mom right afterwards.