• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there Reasonable Moral Grounds to Oppose Open Relationships and Marriages?

IsmailaGodHasHeard

Another reason to oppose such things is the fact that these situations are degrading to the people involved. I want not want to share a husband.

Last edited:

lunamoth

Will to love
Relationships can be challenging. They demand our attention, our dedication, our love. Hard enough to manage with one person, more difficult trying to balance with multiple partners.

Also, sexual relationships are never only about two people - there is always the potential that children will be conceived. Multiple partners, multiple children - it just seems fraught with the potential for hurt.

Having said that, if all adult partners involved are of a like mind, all are OK with the various triangles and shifting partnerships and shared time and resources, and there is a commitment to raise all children in a loving home, I see no grounds for moral objection.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

Relationships can be challenging. They demand our attention, our dedication, our love. Hard enough to manage with one person, more difficult trying to balance with multiple partners.

Also, sexual relationships are never only about two people - there is always the potential that children will be conceived. Multiple partners, multiple children - it just seems fraught with the potential for hurt.

Having said that, if all adult partners involved are of a like mind, all are OK with the various triangles and shifting partnerships and shared time and resources, and there is a commitment to raise all children in a loving home, I see no grounds for moral objection.

I gave you a frubal for telling the truth. Thank you.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

It is only "degrading" to those who would degrade others over it.

You have the right to your opinion. In the countries that allow polygamy, people right to be loved for who they are is violated. Someone will always play favorites so at one of the spouses will get taken advantage of.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
You have the right to your opinion. In the countries that allow polygamy, people right to be loved for who they are is violated. Someone will always play favorites so at one of the spouses will get taken advantage of.
...and this allows you the right to deny them from trying to maintain it?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Who gives this "right to be loved for who they are"?
In fact, while you are at it, please explain what this "right to be loved for who they are" actually is.
Then please be so kind as to explain how this "right" can be violated.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I, like any other person have the right to vote however I want.
You're dodging the issue. Is it morally acceptable to deny people the right to attempt polygamy, open relationships, etc? I don't care if you have the right to vote. That's nice and all, but should it even be up for vote?

IsmailaGodHasHeard

You're dodging the issue. Is it morally acceptable to deny people the right to attempt polygamy, open relationships, etc? I don't care if you have the right to vote. That's nice and all, but should it even be up for vote?

Polygamy is not a right. No one has the right to take advantage of another person.