• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there Reasonable Moral Grounds to Oppose Open Relationships and Marriages?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
If polygamy comes up for a vote, I will vote against it because it violates people's rights.
Because it potentially devalues the relationship? It's not arranged marriage. It's consenting adults. People enter into devaluing relationships all the time. What is the difference between that and a polyamorous devaluing relationship?

lunamoth

Will to love
You're dodging the issue. Is it morally acceptable to deny people the right to attempt polygamy, open relationships, etc? I don't care if you have the right to vote. That's nice and all, but should it even be up for vote?
The bolded part seems like a new question. It is one thing to consider open relationships morally acceptable, and another whether it is moral to deny the right to polygamy.

In a society where we all bear the outcomes of bad decisions, we do things like pass laws about marriage, inheritance, child protection, and other private matters. If experience bears out that open relationships end up causing a strain on society, IOW cause more problems, result in more kids without stable homes, result in more divorce or legal issues and people dependent upon the state because of failed marital agreements, then it is moral to object to polygamy and open relationships.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
The bolded part seems like a new question. It is one thing to consider open relationships morally acceptable, and another whether it is moral to deny the right to polygamy.

In a society where we all bear the outcomes of bad decisions, we do things like pass laws about marriage, inheritance, child protection, and other private matters. If experience bears out that open relationships end up causing a strain on society, IOW cause more problems, result in more kids without stable homes, result in more divorce or legal issues and people dependent upon the state because of failed marital agreements, then it is moral to object to polygamy and open relationships.
Seems to me that the divorce rate shows that you have described a failed system...

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Polygamy violates people rights. Someone will always get hurt. If you have ever loved someone that does not love you back, you would understand.
You didn't answer the question. People get hurt all the time, and no government can ensure a right to a happy love life.

What RIGHTS does polyamory violate?

IsmailaGodHasHeard

Because it potentially devalues the relationship? It's not arranged marriage. It's consenting adults. People enter into devaluing relationships all the time. What is the difference between that and a polyamorous devaluing relationship?

It is just not right. Someone will end up getting hurt. Besides, polygamy cheapens love. Marriage is for two people only. If people want to cheat on their spouse they can, but they cannot expect the law to honor such a thing.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep

True. I got snagged on that whole "I have a right to vote" statement, and tried to incorporate it.

Walkntune

As relationships become devalued, so does society!

McBell

Admiral Obvious
It is just not right.
Says who?

Someone will end up getting hurt.
Ah, so you are against marriage as well, right?

Besides, polygamy cheapens love.
Says who?
I mean, other than you.

Marriage is for two people only.
Well goody for those two people.
So everyone else is not to get married?
Could you please name the only two people who are to get married?
Was it perhaps Adam and Eve?

If people want to cheat on their spouse they can, but they cannot expect the law to honor such a thing.
so you are fine with people cheating on their spouses but against open relationships?
Seems a bit inconsistent to me.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Where have I described any system in particular?
You did not present a specific system.
You did, however, present a system that objects to relationships that cause harm to society.

Seems to me that the divorce rate shows that marriage causes harm to society.

lunamoth

Will to love
You did not present a specific system.
You did, however, present a system that objects to relationships that cause harm to society.

Seems to me that the divorce rate shows that marriage causes harm to society.
Well, some people have a moral objection to divorce, as well.

Often we choose between evils.