• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a god?

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
angellous_evangellous said:
How many people on RF think that they are a god?

Yes!

As I learned from Ghostbusters, if anyone asks you if you're a god, you say yes!

(Okay, I'm not a god, but please don't zap me with lightning.)

eudaimonia,

Mark

Paladin

eudaimonia said:
Yes!

As I learned from Ghostbusters, if anyone asks you if you're a god, you say yes!

(Okay, I'm not a god, but please don't zap me with lightning.)

eudaimonia,

Mark

Priceless!:D

drew22

invisable
How about if the goal of the life is to become divine. Can there be anything wrong with that? Maybe we just got lost from God and God is, though this manifested world, and tests, and everything,that stuff is here so we could be helped to return to God- to reach God- become one with God. I would say it is ok to say we are Atman, when we reach God we will be god- with a small "g".

yuvgotmel

Quantum physics can't introduce the possibility that you are a god.

He didn't say that you are a god, either.

Precisely.

If you don't know that your keyboard is real, there's no way that you can accept that thinking is proof that your mind exists. You reject the sensory of your eyes and touch, interpreted by your brain, but you accept thinking (another sense interpreted by your brain) as proof that your brain exist. You're hopelessly contradicting yourself.

That's a pretty weak claim to be god. You don't even know that you exist.

I didn't call you any names.

Right. You're creating your reality, so you can be whatever makes you warm and fuzzy.

Actually, in your perverted philosophy, I am whatever I think that I am.

Too much value in misinterpreting quantum physics, too little common sense.

That was very rude of you, as usual. I thought this was in the non-debating section. You asked a question, and then insult someone who responded. I too have an answer to your question, but after what I have seen, I will not answer your question. I have no desire to debate you on this matter. And I think you were wrong to insult someone else for being very straightforward. This is just one example among many that I have seen on these forums, where posters are allowed to insult others anytime they want without any consequences. Yet, I have had posts removed for much less than you get away with on a daily basis. I have been here for a very short time, but I'm already getting very annoyed.

A

angellous_evangellous

yuvgotmel said:
That was very rude of you, as usual. I thought this was in the non-debating section. You asked a question, and then insult someone who responded. I too have an answer to your question, but after what I have seen, I will not answer your question. I have no desire to debate you on this matter. And I think you were wrong to insult someone else for being very straightforward. This is just one example among many that I have seen on these forums, where posters are allowed to insult others anytime they want without any consequences. Yet, I have had posts removed for much less than you get away with on a daily basis. I have been here for a very short time, but I'm already getting very annoyed.

This post is off-topic, and obviously I am being baselessly harrassed.

A

angellous_evangellous

drew22 said:
How about if the goal of the life is to become divine. Can there be anything wrong with that? Maybe we just got lost from God and God is, though this manifested world, and tests, and everything,that stuff is here so we could be helped to return to God- to reach God- become one with God. I would say it is ok to say we are Atman, when we reach God we will be god- with a small "g".

Research theosis in Eastern Orthodox Christianity. It's a doctrine that I admit that I do not understand, although I've looked into it a few times.

I've been told that theosis is the point of the Gospel of John.

note:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theosis

yuvgotmel

This post is off-topic, and obviously I am being baselessly harrassed.

I'm NOT harrassing you. But this is a non-debate section and you did harrass someone who very SINCERELY answered the OP. He was being very sincere. Why did you attack what he said? You have done this to me too on another forum which was devoted to NO DEBATING. This is unfair treatment and it is probably why more posters (of the 10,000 members) do not post on these boards. If you want to debate, take it to the debate section. But people do have very sincere beliefs and when they put their ideas forward in the NO DEBATING section, then they should be respected for that WITHOUT DEBATE.

A

angellous_evangellous

Please move this thread to an appropriate debate section if needed.

Thanks.

XAAX

I am God in the sense that we are all part of God. Some more than others but all part.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
yuvgotmel said:
I hear ya Mel, but you have to appreciate just how intelligent dear Angellous_Evangellous is. He is certainly nobody's fool and to be honest, much like myself, doesn't suffer fools lightly.

I found many of his comments to be totally hilarious, as any self-respecting god should well understand the acidic barbs of his thinking. I would suggest that a lot of his "special barbs" are highly refined points that many will misunderstand due to their lack of knowledge.

He continues to impress me, I can say that, without reservation, even on the occaision when I begged to differ with him. I always seem to see where he is coming from. Pity some don't. He is a genuine RF treasure.

Plus one should show respect to a man who has a 50 cal in his pocket even if you think he is just especially happy to see you.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Just curious...

I don't believe in individual gods ("a god" as opposed to just "god") so my answer is that I am not "a god".

A

angellous_evangellous

YmirGF said:
I hear ya Mel, but you have to appreciate just how intelligent dear Angellous_Evangellous is. He is certainly nobody's fool and to be honest, much like myself, doesn't suffer fools lightly.

I found many of his comments to be totally hilarious, as any self-respecting god should well understand the acidic barbs of his thinking. I would suggest that a lot of his "special barbs" are highly refined points that many will misunderstand due to their lack of knowledge.

He continues to impress me, I can say that, without reservation, even on the occaision when I begged to differ with him. I always seem to see where he is coming from. Pity some don't. He is a genuine RF treasure.

Plus one should show respect to a man who has a 50 cal in his pocket even if you think he is just especially happy to see you.

I am speechless. You are too kind.

If RF ever goes down, somebody grab this post and inscribe it on something hard.

May it stand forever.

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Research theosis in Eastern Orthodox Christianity. It's a doctrine that I admit that I do not understand, although I've looked into it a few times.

I've been told that theosis is the point of the Gospel of John.

note:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theosis
Greetings Angellous. Drew seems to have the right idea according to my thoughts, and I appreciate your suggestion on Theosis. For me, Theosis is a hidden key within Christianity. However, one problem is that there are several interpretations that one runs into; and I think Theosis is the kind of thing that one must experience to fully understand. The following site has thoughts on Theosis that are more in agreement than most with the way that I think about it:
http://www.frimmin.com/faith/theosis.html

Incidentally, I look forward to the day that you, with your great intellect, realize Theosis. You will have much to teach us on RF. In the meantime do not let YmirGF comments go to your head. He is the first to say 'but what do I know.' :D Just kidding, he always knows a lot and in this case I believe he is right.

Best Wishes,
a1

A

angellous_evangellous

autonomous1one1 said:
Greetings Angellous. Drew seems to have the right idea according to my thoughts, and I appreciate your suggestion on Theosis. For me, Theosis is a hidden key within Christianity. However, one problem is that there are several interpretations that one runs into; and I think Theosis is the kind of thing that one must experience to fully understand. The following site has thoughts on Theosis that are more in agreement than most with the way that I think about it:
http://www.frimmin.com/faith/theosis.html

Just a note on the so-called secret nature of theosis... it's a hallmark of Eastern Orthodoxy and not a secret at all, which is why so many written works can be cited. The only people who don't know about it are Protestant evangelicals who only read and preach from their Bibles - but that does not mean its a secret.

Anyway, I don't know much about it because I'm not Eastern Orthodox, and I am concentrating on Paul and not John, so I have not yet run across important Scriptures regarding theosis.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Immortal, Miracles happen by thought, Dream future, Create reality for others, Name in religious books, remember peoples prayers when younger and can see when they were still innocent, before they lost their soul to mammon (yet saying that often see what it is caused EGO and Mammon also)……all that depends what God has given me….and through Faith in God alone and never man everyone can!!!!!

Does that make me (I am) nope it makes me (am) = God is….

The Question its self is a direct see whom say “I am” as many are going they are God and in that is EGO, so they fall to 1st commandment or dimension.

Yet in saying Namaste to everyone is ok and means all is God to begin, so everyone should be treated as if God, then at least you are sure, you treat people as you wish to be treated.

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
[/color]

Just a note on the so-called secret nature of theosis... it's a hallmark of Eastern Orthodoxy and not a secret at all, which is why so many written works can be cited. The only people who don't know about it are Protestant evangelicals who only read and preach from their Bibles - but that does not mean its a secret.

Anyway, I don't know much about it because I'm not Eastern Orthodox, and I am concentrating on Paul and not John, so I have not yet run across important Scriptures regarding theosis.
Thank you for that clarification, Angellous. (I agree about 'secret,' for JamesthePersian first put me onto the term right here in RF as a Christian term with similar meaning to Enlightenment.) I used the word 'hidden' and perhaps I should have said 'little sought outside of Eastern Orthodox.' To me, it is 'hidden' from most Christians until it is known throughout Christianity by a common understanding from people who have experienced it. Even if we assume that Eastern Orthodox is right on, we have 200 million in Eastern Orthodox versus 2.1 billion total Christians, don't we?

However, in view of your clarification, I stand corrected even to a greater extent. I was addressing only the term, Theosis, but the concept of what it is may be known as 'realizing union with God' throughout Christianity. In my book, these are very similar. The Pope in his first Encyclical letter addressed union with God:
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/encyclicals/documents/hf_ben-xvi_enc_20051225_deus-caritas-est_en.html

Regards

A

angellous_evangellous

wizanda said:
Immortal, Miracles happen by thought, Dream future, Create reality for others, Name in religious books, remember peoples prayers when younger and can see when they were still innocent, before they lost their soul to mammon (yet saying that often see what it is caused EGO and Mammon also)……all that depends what God has given me….and through Faith in God alone and never man everyone can!!!!!

Wow.

Is this the rational that you use to find out if you are a God?

Let's see if I can untangle this post correctly:

1) You can effect miracles by thinking
2) You dream the future
3) You create reality for other people
4) Your name appears in religious books
5) You remember the prayers of others (I guess without them telling you?)
6) You can look at a person and remember when they were innocent (I suppose read their minds (?) and see them as a child (?) - or read their aura)

With that being my interpretation of your jumbled and I think ridiculously highly caffinated post, I have some thoughts:

a) I think that we can strike #4 from proof that you are God. Names are very common, so when your name appears in a religious text, it is highly unlikely that tey refer to you.

b) I have some credit card debt that you can dissolve using #3.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
I don't play when it comes to the things of God, you might take it all as being a joke, yet God watches you and your soul....since you proclaim to be a follower of ours, then you will know you are judged by your words.