• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are You Born Again

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
As so many claim to be Christians or theists,has it basically come down to what people feel like classifying themselves as and not based on what Jesus said was the qualifier
There is several hundred groups of professing Christians in our world today.
Christian, means Christ follower,what is it that Jesus referred to when He said,
" You Must Be Born Again" this sounds conditional to me!!

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
roli said:
As so many claim to be Christians or theists,has it basically come down to what people feel like classifying themselves as and not based on what Jesus said was the qualifier
Christian, means Christ follower,what is it that Jesus referred to when He said,

How do you determine exactly what that means?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
roli said:
30,000 + would be more accurate.

Christian, means Christ follower,what is it that Jesus referred to when He said," You Must Be Born Again" this sounds conditional to me!!
I believe it refers to a change of heart. What do you think it means?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
roli said:

I agree with Katzpur; I believe it means literally, starting life afresh (in a religious context).

sparkyluv

I surrendered my life to Christ if that's what you mean. I was raised Baptist, so the phrase "Born Again" makes me think of baptism. Not that any means anything different than what you're saying , that's just the first thing that pops in my head.

If you mean born again kinda like in 2 Cor 5:17 (new creation in Christ...), then yeah I am Born Again.

Jerrell

Anybody can claim to be anything. But Jesus said "If you love me keep my commandments." Frankly, if one doesn't, I won't make the judgment of wether one is saved or not. That's up to God.

Start letting people be responsible to God for themselves.

-And yes, I am Born Again

Jerrell

Baptism is symbolic of what happens to you. We are to be baptized twice. Baptism is first by the Holy Spirit (Mark 1:8). And then by the Water (Acts 8:37-38), which is after one beleives. John hints at this in 1 JOhn 5:8. Read it, it's good.

I have written a book covering all of this in more detail. If anyone is interested, we can talk about it via PM.

SoyLeche

meh...
roli said:
Here's me being nitpicky again. Where does Christ say that you have to be born again to call yourself a Christian? I can see where he says it's necesary to see the kingdom of God, but that's not the same thing you are asking.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Nope, every time they tried to babtize me that water started boiling. After the 2nd or 3rd Preacher gets scalded, the other ones tend to lose enthusiasm for the whole thing. I am not circumsized either, and that seems to lead to damnation according to the old testament. Thank goodness I am not rich or I would really be screwed.

B.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
Nope, every time they tried to babtize me that water started boiling. After the 2nd or 3rd Preacher gets scalded, the other ones tend to lose enthusiasm for the whole thing. I am not circumsized either, and that seems to lead to damnation according to the old testament. Thank goodness I am not rich or I would really be screwed.

B.
:D Trust you to be the MdmSzdWhtWzGuy. :D

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
For a Catholic says that he has been "born again," he refers to the transformation that God’s grace accomplished in him during baptism.

CATHOLIC ANSWERS

Regeneration (being "born again") is the transformation from death to life that occurs in our souls when we first come to God and are justified. He washes us clean of our sins and gives us a new nature, breaking the power of sin over us so that we will no longer be its slaves, but its enemies, who must fight it as part of the Christian life (cf. Rom. 6:1–22; Eph. 6:11–17). To understand the biblical teaching of being born again, we must understand the terms it uses to refer to this event.

The term "born again" may not appear in the Bible. The Greek phrase often translated "born again" (gennatha anothen) occurs twice in the Bible—John 3:3 and 3:7—and there is a question of how it should be translated. The Greek word anothen sometimes can be translated "again," but in the New Testament, it most often means "from above." In the King James Version, the only two times it is translated "again" are in John 3:3 and 3:7; every other time it is given a different rendering.

Another term is "regeneration." When referring to something that occurs in the life of an individual believer, it only appears in Titus 3:5. In other passages, the new birth phenomenon is also described as receiving new life (Rom. 6:4), receiving the circumcision of the heart (Rom. 2:29; Col. 2:11–12), and becoming a "new creation" (2 Cor. 5:17; Gal. 6:15).

joeboonda

The Bible says that these things were written that you may KNOW you HAVE eternal life. We KNOW we HAVE, right now, ETERNAL life, not temporary life, if, or we might obtain it someday, if, but that we may know we have it now, forever. Jesus said, "Ye MUST be born again." He is referring to our spirits, as the Bible teaches we are born spiritually dead, and must be 'quickened', made alive. We were born once, physically, and are born again, born twice, spiritually when we hear the Gospel that we are sinners, the wages of sin is death, Christ paid the wages of sin, so we don't have to, and offers salvation free to all who believe that, trusting in what He did alone to save us.

Born once, die twice, born twice, die once.......

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
joeboonda said:
The Bible says that these things were written that you may KNOW you HAVE eternal life. We KNOW we HAVE, right now, ETERNAL life, not temporary life, if, or we might obtain it someday, if, but that we may know we have it now, forever. Jesus said, "Ye MUST be born again." He is referring to our spirits, as the Bible teaches we are born spiritually dead, and must be 'quickened', made alive. We were born once, physically, and are born again, born twice, spiritually when we hear the Gospel that we are sinners, the wages of sin is death, Christ paid the wages of sin, so we don't have to, and offers salvation free to all who believe that, trusting in what He did alone to save us.

Born once, die twice, born twice, die once.......

And yet, God breathed God's Spirit into us in creation...
I don't believe we are born "spiritually dead."
Humanity was made complete in Christ. To live into that completeness is to be born again. IMO. For what it's worth.

joeboonda

sojourner said:
And yet, God breathed God's Spirit into us in creation...
I don't believe we are born "spiritually dead."
Humanity was made complete in Christ. To live into that completeness is to be born again. IMO. For what it's worth.

Yes, Adam was born 'spiritually alive', as was Eve. But when they ate of the tree, they died just as God said, yet, not physically, but they died spiritually. All who came after Adam were born 'spiritually dead'. This is exactly what the Bible teaches.

2:16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
(King James Bible, Genesis)
3:2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: 3:3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
(King James Bible, Genesis)

5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.
5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
5:16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.
5:17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.) 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.
(King James Bible, Romans)

2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
(King James Bible, Ephesians)
2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
(King James Bible, Colossians)

We see from these verses that Adam and Eve did not die physically when they ate the fruit, but they did die that day spiritually, and began to die physically, too. Adam passed this to all men, and as the verses above say, by Adam all sin, but by Jesus many will be made righteous, and ine Ephesians and Colossians (and others) it says we who WERE DEAD, were quickened, (made alive). See, we WERE DEAD, not physically, but spiritually, and are now made alive spiritually, the moment we placed our trust in Jesus to save us.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Victor said:
For a Catholic says that he has been "born again," he refers to the transformation that God’s grace accomplished in him during baptism.
So how would this tie to infant baptism, Victor? I can see this making sense if you were referring to what happens to an adult convert to Catholicism, but I don't see how it applies to an infant, expecially in light of this next paragraph:

CATHOLIC ANSWERS
Regeneration (being "born again") is the transformation from death to life that occurs in our souls when we first come to God and are justified. He washes us clean of our sins and gives us a new nature, breaking the power of sin over us so that we will no longer be its slaves, but its enemies, who must fight it as part of the Christian life (cf. Rom. 6:1–22; Eph. 6:11–17). To understand the biblical teaching of being born again, we must understand the terms it uses to refer to this event.

The term "born again" may not appear in the Bible. The Greek phrase often translated "born again" (gennatha anothen) occurs twice in the Bible—John 3:3 and 3:7—and there is a question of how it should be translated. The Greek word anothen sometimes can be translated "again," but in the New Testament, it most often means "from above." In the King James Version, the only two times it is translated "again" are in John 3:3 and 3:7; every other time it is given a different rendering.
Perhaps it does not, but don't you think that when it says we must be born of water and of the spirit, this is what it's referring to?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
but by Jesus many will be made righteous, and ine Ephesians and Colossians (and others) it says we who WERE DEAD, were quickened, (made alive). See, we WERE DEAD, not physically, but spiritually, and are now made alive spiritually, the moment we placed our trust in Jesus to save us.

Your post is fine, but it's not what I believe. Yes. We were dead until Jesus completed the work of creation. We have been made righteous, through the grace of Christ. We were made righteous, not by our decision to love him, but by his decision to love us. Your references to Eph. and Col. do say, "We were dead, and now we are alive." All because God loves us and has already saved us.