• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are You Born Again

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
lilithu said:
Theist and Christian are not synonymous. There is no reason why someone who calls him or herself theist is necessarily beholden to anything Jesus said.

Absolutely,that is already agreed,

To answer the question in your thread title, I've been born again so many times that I've lost count.
It only takes once for the spirit of God to indwell a believer,although many do make confessions with their mouths but not with their hearts and Jesus speaks of that several places in Luke 8 is the best place to start.
We are told to work out our salvation with fear and trembling
We must be born from the spirit of God
Rom 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
Eph 4:30And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
Well, Jesus spoke in John about spiritual conversion from above or from God.
Jhn 1:13 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name:Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
cardero said:
It sounds like a teaching of reincarnation to me.

Well if that is a familiar term with you ,so be it ,in actuality, it is a type of reincarnation
Check out this http://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/1Cr/1Cr015.html#50

There is a definite and immediate change at conversion but also a continual process until we see Him
At conversion we are saved from sin, in the process of being saved presently and will be saved .
1Jo 3:2Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
2Cr 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, [even] as by the Spirit of the Lord.
1Cr 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Katzpur said:
30,000 + would be more accurate.

I believe it refers to a change of heart. What do you think it means?
It is a heart conversion,soul conversion and a flesh conversion, but the immediate moment I trust Christ as Savior,I have a Spiritual conversion.
I become born of God in the spirit,but I still have to contend with the soul and the body,as man is comprised of body ,soul and spirit

The spirit of man is first converted,but the process and difficult part that follows this conversion is the transforming power of the spirit of God in a believer to convert the soul and the flesh.
The soul is always the mediator or governing factor between the body and spirit.
When the spirit is truly mature and allowed to do it's jobin the man,as Jesus calls it, walking in the spiritGal 5:16 [This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Then the body and the soul will walk in the spirit which in actuality means the soul and the body are in harmony with the spirit.

That is why you see many Christians do things that are contrary to what God requires or what Jesus taught,many Christians are born again, yet very carnal and do some very unchristianlike things,not to excuse them but to try and shed light.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
sparkyluv said:
I surrendered my life to Christ if that's what you mean. I was raised Baptist, so the phrase "Born Again" makes me think of baptism. Not that any means anything different than what you're saying , that's just the first thing that pops in my head.

If you mean born again kinda like in 2 Cor 5:17 (new creation in Christ...), then yeah I am Born Again.

Tha's what I am saying !!

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
SoyLeche said:
Here's me being nitpicky again. Where does Christ say that you have to be born again to call yourself a Christian? I can see where he says it's necesary to see the kingdom of God, but that's not the same thing you are asking.
Many places talk about the spiritual conversion Romans ,John, Gal all talk about the spirit in believers

Rom 8:9But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

If you read John in context,do a word search on spirit and find out in John 4 that God is spirit and you can only worship God in the spirit and if you search the scriptures you will find many verses that tie it all together.
Jhn 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Jhn 3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Jhn 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

Jhn 4:24 God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship [him] in spirit and in truth.

Phl 3:3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
[
quote=Victor]For a Catholic says that he has been "born again," he refers to the transformation that God’s grace accomplished in him during baptism.

I understand what your denomination says about baptism,yet the bible claims baptism is an act of obedience that follows conversion by faith alone in Jesus,as was the case with the thief on the cross.
He did not belong to a church,have a chance to read the bible or pray to God yet Jesus says you will be with me today in paradise.
His faith as ours will save us by his grace

I know this is alot of scripture but this is an important topic and I wanted to show plenty of reference for the means in which to be born again.
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Rom 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
Rom 3:22 Even the righteousness of God [which is] by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe:
Rom 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
Rom 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
Rom 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
2Cr 1:24 Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand.
2Cr 5:7 (For we walk by faith, not by sight:)
Gal 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, [it is] evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
Gal 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster [to bring us] unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Gal 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
Gal 5:5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
Phl 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
Hbr 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if [any man] draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
Hbr 11:4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.
Hbr 11:5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.
Hbr 11:7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.
Hbr 11:8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.
Hbr 11:9 By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as [in] a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:
Hbr 11:17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten [son],
Hbr 11:20 By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau concerning things to come.
Hbr 11:21 By faith Jacob, when he was a dying, blessed both the sons of Joseph; and worshipped, [leaning] upon the top of his staff
Hbr 11:22 By faith Joseph, when he died, made mention of the departing of the children of Israel; and gave commandment concerning his bones.
Hbr 11:23 By faith Moses, when he was born, was hid three months of his parents, because they saw [he was] a proper child; and they were not afraid of the king's commandment.
Hbr 11:24 By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter;
Hbr 11:27 By faith he forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king: for he endured, as seeing him who is invisible.
Hbr 11:29 By faith they passed through the Red sea as by dry [land]: which the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned.
Hbr 11:30 By faith the walls of Jericho fell down, after they were compassed about seven days.
Hab 2:4 Behold, his soul [which] is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.
rom 3:27 Where [is] boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
Rom 4:16 Therefore [it is] of faith, that [it might be] by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed;
Rom 10:17 So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Gal 5:6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

Eph 3:12 In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of him.

SoyLeche

meh...
roli said:
[

I understand what your denomination says about baptism,yet the bible claims baptism is an act of obedience that follows conversion by faith alone in Jesus,as was the case with the thief on the cross.
He did not belong to a church,have a chance to read the bible or pray to God yet Jesus says you will be with me today in paradise.
His faith as ours will save us by his grace
I know that your take on it is the most likely, but it is entirely possible that the theif was, for example, a previous follower of John who had been baptised and then wandered off the path. We really don't know for sure - so saying that he didn't need to be baptized is guesswork at best. A pretty safe guess, but a guess none the less.

Granted, the Gospel as I understand it allows for baptism after someone has died, so it isn't a problem for me. We don't need to get into that here though.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
SoyLeche said:
Granted, the Gospel as I understand it allows for baptism after someone has died, so it isn't a problem for me. We don't need to get into that here though.
:D What do you want to bet you're going to, though? :D

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Godlike said:
For me, what Jesus meant by "born again" was that man must be emancipated from teachers, parents, lovers and friends in order to come fully into life and be reborn of the Spirit. He must free himself from his own conditioned nature in order to connect with the uncreated part of who he is, forget everything he thinks he knows and unlearn what he does know to establish an unfettered relationship with the God within and without. A free spirit stands alone, even in company. Whatever is born of a woman must decay and die, but being reborn in Christ makes one eternal and having everlasting life.
Great post in my opinion, Godlike. Do you feel as I do that born again is much akin to Enlightenment where the 'unfettered relationship' is realization of oneness?

Random

autonomous1one1 said:
Great post in my opinion, Godlike. Do you feel as I do that born again is much akin to Enlightenment where the 'unfettered relationship' is realization of oneness?

Exactly, yes, on many different levels and senses. ;)