• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Madhuri a Question about Hinduism

TransJ

Transtheist
Hi Madhuri, I came to a transtheistic point of view through Western Stoicism. Does Hinduism have a distinct transtheism in it, like Jainism? If so what is it called?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi TransJ,
welcome to the forum!

I think the area of Hinduism that you can find transtheistic philosophy is within the Advaita branches. However I know next to nothing about it. I suggest making a thread in the Hinduism DIR and hope that some of our Advaita devotees have some knowledge about it.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

Satyamavejayanti

sumaidi;3244718]Satya, if God makes a law, it will never out of date ( can not applicable in today live). God knows what will happen next, until the end of day and even after that day.

If God makes a specific social Law at a specific time and place then it is bound to be out of date sooner or Later, due to social and cultural evolution that takes place all the time, for example having anti-homosexuality Laws advised 2000 years ago, but now we realize that Homosexuals are just human beings and some say that Homosexuality is natural, if that be so then did not God know this already? Why did he make a specific Law that can be challenged in the arena of Humanity?

A specific Law of one social culture: let say for example women covering in clothing head to toe: may not even be heard of in another social and cultural construct, Did not God know this? Did God not know that this Law may not apply to all cultures and social constructs at all time in this world?

And God will not make unjust Laws nor will he forget to make law against some crimes, for example having Laws that be in violation of a persons freedom and right to do ones Karma, like Laws against Homosexuality, Laws to have concubines, But then have no Law against pedophilia or no Laws against Slavery, have Laws like birth based discrimination, but have no Laws against Racial discrimination ect.ect.

Or Some Laws that are prohibitions in this life but are allowed in the afterlife, many religions have this problem, what does it say about Gods Laws, that they can be broken by anyone even God himself.

Eternal Laws are different, they are for all Humanity for all times, and Eternal Laws can not be broken by any Human beings nor by God himself.

can you show me a kind of laws that can not applicable so it have to be changed?

There can be many in all religions, but i can think of a couple that i think are not applicable today.

1) Blasphemy Laws (Does God get offended ?)

2) Laws against Homosexuality (Is God Homophobic ???)

3) Any Laws against non-believers of a religion

4) Laws that advise to propagate a religious belief by force.

just my view.

OHM TATH SATH

Freedomelf

Hello; I admit I know very little about Hinduism, but I have heard that considering the cow a sacred animal dates back thousands of years. Is that true, or was it a more recent practice? Do you know how it started? (forgive me if this was already asked, as I only skimmed a few pages.)

Hinduism seems like a most tolerant and accepting religion. Is this also true? Thanks.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi Freedomelf!

The question about cows will differ depending on who you ask. Obviously to Hindus there is no time when cows become sacred. A sacred thing is always sacred. Although by sacred it just means we honour and respect cows in the same way we honour and respect motherly figures (the Earth included).

Some people have opinions that the sacredness of cows came about at a particular time in history. But I don't know much about those theories except of course the general idea that the Hindus realised cows are much more useful alive than dead.

Hinduism is very tolerant and accepting. It is actually an umbrella term that includes many religions. There is no single religion called Hinduism. What unites the various religions under this term is that they are based on the Vedic scriptures. That is why despite being so similar to Hindu religions, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism are not 'Hindu' as they reject the authority of the Vedas.

What makes Hindus accepting and peaceful I think is the idea that all paths lead to the same goal. So even if someone is following a path that somehow deviates from the truth, they will eventually (perhaps in a future life) acquire the wisdom that directs them to truth. We also realise that 'sin' is a result of ignorance and that all individuals start out in that state and eventually move to enlightenment. Therefore we have no reason to feel angry or violent toward any creature.

We also don't believe in a punishing God who favours some over others. We don't believe in eternal damnation. We don't believe in evil. So without all of these concepts it makes it more difficult to feel exclusive or intolerant toward others.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'd like to add a little to Madhuri's thoughts on tolerance. We respect life. We respect people, and the choices religiously they they make. We do want the world to be in peace, and it seems that all religions need to come to this conclusion in order for that to happen. So yes, we're spiritual leaders in this way. Many Hindu invocations end in Shantih, Shantih, Shantih ... meaning peace. We also do not believe ours is the only way. Some souls, because of soul development, need a different style.

But tolerance is very different from acceptance. By tolerating a person's faith, it means its fine with us if they practice it, but at the same time, we're not about to.

I differ (and as Madhuri said, this happens a lot between the various schools within Hinduism) on the idea that all religions lead to the same goal. I would rather respect each religion's own view of that rather than project this idea on to them. For example, most Abrahamic faiths don't believe in moksha.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I differ (and as Madhuri said, this happens a lot between the various schools within Hinduism) on the idea that all religions lead to the same goal. I would rather respect each religion's own view of that rather than project this idea on to them. For example, most Abrahamic faiths don't believe in moksha.

What I meant is, not that all religions have the same goal but that no matter what we do in life, we all eventually reach the same state (of enlightenment).

Maya3

If God makes a specific social Law at a specific time and place then it is bound to be out of date sooner or Later, due to social and cultural evolution that takes place all the time, for example having anti-homosexuality Laws advised 2000 years ago, but now we realize that Homosexuals are just human beings and some say that Homosexuality is natural, if that be so then did not God know this already? Why did he make a specific Law that can be challenged in the arena of Humanity?

A specific Law of one social culture: let say for example women covering in clothing head to toe: may not even be heard of in another social and cultural construct, Did not God know this? Did God not know that this Law may not apply to all cultures and social constructs at all time in this world?

And God will not make unjust Laws nor will he forget to make law against some crimes, for example having Laws that be in violation of a persons freedom and right to do ones Karma, like Laws against Homosexuality, Laws to have concubines, But then have no Law against pedophilia or no Laws against Slavery, have Laws like birth based discrimination, but have no Laws against Racial discrimination ect.ect.

Or Some Laws that are prohibitions in this life but are allowed in the afterlife, many religions have this problem, what does it say about Gods Laws, that they can be broken by anyone even God himself.

Eternal Laws are different, they are for all Humanity for all times, and Eternal Laws can not be broken by any Human beings nor by God himself.

There can be many in all religions, but i can think of a couple that i think are not applicable today.

1) Blasphemy Laws (Does God get offended ?)

2) Laws against Homosexuality (Is God Homophobic ???)

3) Any Laws against non-believers of a religion

4) Laws that advise to propagate a religious belief by force.

just my view.

OHM TATH SATH

I agree with Vinayaka, all very good points and well said. And like Vinayaka said, God didn´t write any laws about computers for example when he "created" the world.

I feel very uncomfortable with Sumaidis posts here. He is condoning killing people and cutting of peoples hands. This is not appropiate.

Maya

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I feel very uncomfortable with Sumaidis posts here. He is condoning killing people and cutting of peoples hands. This is not appropiate.

Maya
He's just representing his religion in his personal way. I see no harm in the explanation of what his religion stands for, in his opinion. But "Ask about Hinduism' isn't the place. If the discussion continues along this line, I'll start another new thread for him.

But I do object to or disagree with what it stands for. Still I'm glad people explain it. Then I know its not for me. :)

Last edited:

TransJ

Transtheist
Hi TransJ,
welcome to the forum!

I think the area of Hinduism that you can find transtheistic philosophy is within the Advaita branches. However I know next to nothing about it. I suggest making a thread in the Hinduism DIR and hope that some of our Advaita devotees have some knowledge about it.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

Thank you, I will follow up on that information.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you Sumaidi. It is only that some are not appropriate for this thread.
If you have any further questions about Hinduism, you are welcome to ask.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Hi Freedomelf!

The question about cows will differ depending on who you ask. Obviously to Hindus there is no time when cows become sacred. A sacred thing is always sacred. Although by sacred it just means we honour and respect cows in the same way we honour and respect motherly figures (the Earth included).

Some people have opinions that the sacredness of cows came about at a particular time in history. But I don't know much about those theories except of course the general idea that the Hindus realised cows are much more useful alive than dead.

Hinduism is very tolerant and accepting. It is actually an umbrella term that includes many religions. There is no single religion called Hinduism. What unites the various religions under this term is that they are based on the Vedic scriptures. That is why despite being so similar to Hindu religions, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism are not 'Hindu' as they reject the authority of the Vedas.

What makes Hindus accepting and peaceful I think is the idea that all paths lead to the same goal. So even if someone is following a path that somehow deviates from the truth, they will eventually (perhaps in a future life) acquire the wisdom that directs them to truth. We also realise that 'sin' is a result of ignorance and that all individuals start out in that state and eventually move to enlightenment. Therefore we have no reason to feel angry or violent toward any creature.

We also don't believe in a punishing God who favours some over others. We don't believe in eternal damnation. We don't believe in evil. So without all of these concepts it makes it more difficult to feel exclusive or intolerant toward others.

1.I appreciate your views but at times in the history we find Hinduism had been intolerant, in my opinion.
2.By whom and from whom do vedas get authority? Please

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
2.By whom and from whom do vedas get authority? Please

The Vedas are generally considered as oral teachings passed down from a very long time ago, with no author. So the authority comes from God, and Hindus trust that authority. But this is the general Hindu view. Yours will obviously differ.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The Vedas are generally considered as oral teachings passed down from a very long time ago, with no author. So the authority comes from God, and Hindus trust that authority. But this is the general Hindu view. Yours will obviously differ.

I am trying to understand the basis of trust that Hindus have in the Vedas. Please

atanu

Premium Member

Wannabe Yogi

I am trying to understand the basis of trust that Hindus have in the Vedas. Please

You must understand that the Hindu Scriptures are an immense body of literature.
I could never have enough time to study all the scriptures that are available to me. I find the parts that move my heart the most. Those scriptures I find the most inspiring. For those scriptures I have total trust. Because I find them to be true.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Some 10 000 years of experience by others helps. Its a very long standing tradition. There is also the idea that if you try out something from a book, and it works, then its probably true. As a non-Hindu, I don't see the problem in trusting us. I believe other faiths trust their scriptures. That's not such a step, for me to believe that. I don't trust their scriptures, but they surely do, else they would have converted to something else.

Besides, most Hindus don't know the Vedas. there is a lot more to us than one scripture, or even one body of scripture. Ours is not a religion based purely on scriptire. There are many other aspects.