• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Me Anything About Atheism

linwood

Buttercup,

Here is one study that breaks down the sciences according to their rate of belief.
Oddly enough it was astronomers at the 7% I mentioned.

Disbelief in God and immortality among NAS biological scientists was 65.2% and 69.0%, respectively, and among NAS physical scientists it was 79.0% and 76.3%. Most of the rest were agnostics on both issues, with few believers. We found the highest percentage of belief among NAS mathematicians (14.3% in God, 15.0% in immortality). Biological scientists had the lowest rate of belief (5.5% in God, 7.1% in immortality), with physicists and astronomers slightly higher (7.5% in God, 7.5% in immortality).

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/sci_relig.htm

There is also a table that shows the rates of scientists belief since 1914, it is declining the more we learn of the world.

BELIEF IN PERSONAL GOD 1914 1933 1998

Personal belief 27.7 15 7.0
Personal disbelief 52.7 68 72.2
Doubt or agnosticism 20.9 17 20.8

Buttercup

Veteran Member
linwood said:
This preacher is a hardcore fundamental fire and brimstone Baptist who goes to church 10 times a week and it is a given from statements he has made and oddities in his actions that he would cut off all contact between our families if it was known that I was an atheist.
If he did as you feared, I hope you would use the knowledge you've gathered about the bible and let him know he is acting against the will of Christ. How could he 'save' you if he wants nothing to do with you? It wouldn't make sense coming from a evangelist to say that.

If he did act in this way....let me know. I'll come down there and kick his butt for being a jerk! :)

linwood

divine said:
with this in mind, i personally go with agnostic. i do think that the existence of a "god", "deity", "being" is the least likely answer - so i could call myself an atheist - but i choose agnostic because it implies all knowledge of the metaphysical, instead of just the concept of god.
In that context I can understand agnostism as being it`s own "category".

In the more narrow focus it is used in my society concerning merely the question of god/gods I think we all have a belief we lean towards, everything else is just concerning different levels of confidence in that belief.

linwood

Buttercup said:
Divine.....you should start a thread titled, "Ask Me Anything About Sweden". That would be great! :)
Actually that would be of interest to some here.

Sweden is seen by many American atheists is a non-believers "eutopia" because of the cultural acceptance of atheists/agnostics.

When considering where to move after G.Bushes second successful election Sweden was the first place to pop into my head.

:jiggy:

Buttercup

Veteran Member
linwood said:
Actually that would be of interest to some here.

Sweden is seen by many American atheists is a non-believers "eutopia" because of the cultural acceptance of atheists/agnostics.

When considering where to move after G.Bushes second successful election Sweden was the first place to pop into my head.

:jiggy:
I did my part trying to get him out as well. I notice a majority are unhappy with George's efforts as of late. Hmmm, is this a surprise then?

MdmSzdWhtGuy

divine said:
good luck, i can't even imagine such a situation...i've never have had to feel that it's somehow strange not to be a christian.
it must be very awkward.

:)
Well I do know, and I can tell you, it is not a comfortable spot to find one's self.

And Linwood, I knew all along you were being sarcastic in responding to my obviously sarcastic questions earlier.

B.

linwood

MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
And Linwood, I knew all along you were being sarcastic in responding to my obviously sarcastic questions earlier.
I knew you would B which is why I didn`t use any emoticons when responding to you.
I was certain as an atheist/agnostic yourself you had heard one or more derivatives of those answers.

linwood

Buttercup said:
Linwood,

Have you done any reading of The Center for Theology and The Natural Sciences website? If so, your thoughts?

http://www.ctns.org/
Yes, I`ve used it quite often as a research point.

I like the site as it seems fairly unbiased and it`s assertions are based on evidenced phenomenon.
I also think organizations like the ctns are necessary to aid religion in changing much of it`s outdated dogma.

My one caveat about is is that I think it in it`s attempts to reconcile theology with naturalism is is compromised into hedging it`s bets sometimes.

This is necessary for it`s purpose and I agree with it`s purpose but as an atheist and naturalist it strikes my as disingenious at times.

One example is spelled out in Robtex`s new thread on reconciling evolution with theism.
When one gets right down to it traditional western theism cannot seamlessly meld with evolutionary theory as ctns seems to claim.

But like I said, I can see why it would have to do so to further it`s cause and i support its cause.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
linwood said:
One example is spelled out in Robtex`s new thread on reconciling evolution with theism.
When one gets right down to it traditional western theism cannot seamlessly meld with evolutionary theory as ctns seems to claim.
Yes, I agree. More later.

lovedmb

My daughter is 5 and has alot of questions about god.
Right now she claims atheism but I`m pretty sure thats because daddy does.
I don`t however encourage this disbelief of hers and in fact I often argue against it with her.
Yes, I even argue with 5 year olds.
I was in a bookstore awhile back with her, she picked up a kids book about Noahs ark and asked what it was because it had cool pictures.
I told her it was a story about god.
She said "Gods not real".
I said we can`t know for sure that gods not real.
She said "I never seen him and you`ve never seen him and nobody has every seen him."
I found myself arguing in public with my 5 year old that the existence of god is possible.
I left the store with the most messed up surreal feeling of confusion.
Talk about devils advocate.

I do this because I dislike indoctrination of any sort.
It is my firm belief that we shouldn`t teach our children what to think but how to think.
If I keep all possibilities open until she is old enough to be able to give her spirituality some rational thought she will come to the "truth" that is right for her.
If this truth leads her to the Baptist pulpit..so be it.
I`ll deal with that when the time comes.
Wow. I've only recently renounced religion altogether, and I am of the agnostic/athiest sort. My parents are very religious, and I've wondered how to go about teaching my children my beliefs (which I share with my husband), without pushing her towards or away from anything. Including Mormonism, which is inevitably going to be in my childrens lives as my whole family is LDS. I really like this world view, and it jives with what I have not been able to put into words. OT, my daughter (4) thinks the story of Noah is scary. And when I really thought about it, she is right.

Great thread linwood.

I hope Europeans and others who live outside the US don't get the wrong impression from these kinds of threads....yes, identifying oneself as an atheist may raise a few eyebrows here in the States...but that's about as far as the "discrimination" goes (at least in my experience).

Squirt

linwood said:
I believe a person can be an agnostic/theist as in they really can`t say for sure if there is a god but they think there is.
Or a person can be an agnostic/atheist and say they really can`t be sure there isn`t a god but don`t think there is.
To me, it's almost impossible for anyone to be anything other than agnostic. Wait! I'm a Christian! How can I be saying that? :eek: Well, I very strongly believe there is a God. I believe it so strongly that I am tempted to say, "I know for sure." But I don't know for sure. I haven't seen Him personally or personally heard His voice. Likewise, I don't see how you (or any athiest, for that matter) can say for sure, "I know there isn't a God." You don't know there's not a God any more than I know that there is a God. In my opinion, I am an agnostic who believes in God; you are an agnostic who doesn't believe in God.

linwood

Squirt said:
Likewise, I don't see how you (or any athiest, for that matter) can say for sure, "I know there isn't a God." You don't know there's not a God any more than I know that there is a God. In my opinion, I am an agnostic who believes in God; you are an agnostic who doesn't believe in God.
I can say it just as strongly as I can say "Godzilla doesn`t exist."

Do you hold a belief that it`s possible for Godzilla to exist?
How about Unicorns, Hydras, Medusa, Zeus, Mithra, Dragons, Werewolves, Vampires, Frankensteins Monster,The Flying Spaghetti Monster, Leprachauns, the Tooth Fairy, The Boogyman, Dionysus, Ra, Horus.

Can you prove any of these beings do not exist?
Do you believe in all of them?
Do you see the hypocrisy in your statement?

I am an atheist with no agnostic inclination.

There is no god just as there is no Easter Bunny.

linwood

I really like this world view, and it jives with what I have not been able to put into words. OT, my daughter (4) thinks the story of Noah is scary. And when I really thought about it, she is right.
I`m glad you found something useful in my rantings.
I think the flood story is kinda scary too.

linwood

Mr Spinkles said:
I hope Europeans and others who live outside the US don't get the wrong impression from these kinds of threads....yes, identifying oneself as an atheist may raise a few eyebrows here in the States...but that's about as far as the "discrimination" goes (at least in my experience).
It is the exception but it is a more common exception than you allude to.

Most Christians are moderate here but there are some concentrations of very loud fundamentalists here that seem to be growing by the day.

Squirt

linwood said:
I can say it just as strongly as I can say "Godzilla doesn`t exist."

Do you hold a belief that it`s possible for Godzilla to exist?
How about Unicorns, Hydras, Medusa, Zeus, Mithra, Dragons, Werewolves, Vampires, Frankensteins Monster,The Flying Spaghetti Monster, Leprachauns, the Tooth Fairy, The Boogyman, Dionysus, Ra, Horus.
I believe it's highly unlikely that any of these creatures exist. Is it possible? Well, my best answer to that question is that I believe it is possible for something to exist without there being a way to prove its existence.

Can you prove any of these beings do not exist?
Nope.
Do you believe in all of them?
Nope.
Do you see the hypocrisy in your statement?
Nope.

I am an atheist with no agnostic inclination.

There is no god just as there is no Easter Bunny.
Okay, I'm fine with your belief that there is no God. I just don't understand how it is possible for one person to know one thing and another person to know the opposite. One of us is wrong. It's that simple. I can say, "God exists" with every bit as much conviction as I can say, "Godzilla doesn`t exist." I just can't prove it to you, nor do I have any interest in trying. I was simply trying to make a point that, while both of us may claim to know the validity of our respective positions, neither one of us can prove that position. Your response was to imply that I'm a hypocrite. That's a great way to make me want to pursue any further dialogue with you.

linwood

Squirt said:
I believe it's highly unlikely that any of these creatures exist. Is it possible? Well, my best answer to that question is that I believe it is possible for something to exist without there being a way to prove its existence.
Can you not see the irrationality an outlook like this presents ?
We can believe any imaginary concept without ever having to rationalise it`s existence.

Okay, I'm fine with your belief that there is no God. I just don't understand how it is possible for one person to know one thing and another person to know the opposite.
It`s just levels of confidence.
I can supply more evidence to support the idea that there is no god than anyone else can supply that there is.
We do this everyday in our daily lives without giving it a second thought but when it comes to "god" the standards change for some reason.

One of us is wrong. It's that simple. I can say, "God exists" with every bit as much conviction as I can say, "Godzilla doesn`t exist."
Yes, one of us is wrong.
The evidence is in my favor

Your response was to imply that I'm a hypocrite. That's a great way to make me want to pursue any further dialogue with you.
If it is hypocritical to believe one concept with little or no evidence while disbelieving a concept with the same level of evidence then a person who does so is being hypocritical.
I did not call you a hypocrite, I said you were being hypocritical.
We all have our own hypocrisies to deal with.

I meant no ill will.