• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Me Anything About Atheism

Squirt

linwood said:
Yes, one of us is wrong.
The evidence is in my favor.
And, regardless of the evidence, if it turns out that you were the one that was wrong, it will obviously mean that what you thought you knew, you really didn't know at all. Consequently, you just believed.

If it is hypocritical to believe one concept with little or no evidence while disbelieving a concept with the same level of evidence then a person who does so is being hypocritical. I did not call you a hypocrite, I said you were being hypocritical.

I meant no ill will.
Well, that's nice to know. On the other hand, there are quite a number of intelligent and well-educated individuals in this world who do not believe in either the Easter Bunny or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, but who do believe in God. Perhaps you could brush up on expressing yourself a bit more tactfully. (Or perhaps you don't really care.) Whether you meant to offend or not, I know from experience in talking to other atheists, that it is entirely possible for them to make a point without resorting to such analogies.

linwood

Squirt said:
And, regardless of the evidence, if it turns out that you were the one that was wrong, it will obviously mean that what you thought you knew, you really didn't know at all. Consequently, you just believed.
Indeed but that is a consistency I have with all of my perceptions of reality.
It seems not everyone has these same consistencies.

Perhaps you could brush up on expressing yourself a bit more tactfully. (Or perhaps you don't really care.) Whether you meant to offend or not, I know from experience in talking to other atheists, that it is entirely possible for them to make a point without resorting to such analogies.
I`m sorry squirt, hypocrisy is hypocrisy.
I know of no more tactful way of putting it.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
linwood said:
I can say it just as strongly as I can say "Godzilla doesn`t exist."

Do you hold a belief that it`s possible for Godzilla to exist?
How about Unicorns, Hydras, Medusa, Zeus, Mithra, Dragons, Werewolves, Vampires, Frankensteins Monster,The Flying Spaghetti Monster, Leprachauns, the Tooth Fairy, The Boogyman, Dionysus, Ra, Horus.

Can you prove any of these beings do not exist?
Do you believe in all of them?
Do you see the hypocrisy in your statement?

I am an atheist with no agnostic inclination.

There is no god just as there is no Easter Bunny.
I don't know really why atheists are so sure there is no God at all, at least they can say, we are not sure if he does exist but to deny just because they didn't see him, it's just non-sense to me.

I just wished if you were there when people were saying the earth was flat because they didn't know about it. Then they discovered that it wasn't. So, how can you be so sure if we still in lack for perfect knowledge while we are still discovering many things everyday?

Allah said:

[85] They ask thee concerning the Spirit (of inspiration). Say: "The Spirit (cometh) by command of my Lord: of knowledge it is only a little that is communicated to you, (O men!)" (Quran 17:85)

By the way, Don't compare the existance of God with the existance of Godzilla because there are tons of proofs about God but not absoloutly any other dragon or whatever things. :D

nutshell

Just as theists have no proof that God exists, atheists have no proof that he doesn't.

That's why it all comes down to faith. Either you've got it or your don't.

cheerio

linwood

The Truth said:
I just wished if you were there when people were saying the earth was flat because they didn't know about it. Then they discovered that it wasn't. So, how can you be so sure if we still in lack for perfect knowledge while we are still discovering many things everyday?
Those people didn`t make use of their senses.
It is easily verified that the Earth is not flat by nothing more than common observation.

By the way, Don't compare the existance of God with the existance of Godzilla because there are tons of proofs about God but not absoloutly any other dragon or whatever things. :D
Actually no, there is no more proof for god than for godzilla.
I can show you thousands of dinosaur bones that definately evidence a creature that looks much like godzilla existed.
You have no falsifiable evidence of god.
This is a ridiculous comparison lets compare apples to apples.

You choose not to believe in Isis, Ra, Horus, and the entire pantheon of Egyptian deities
There is just as much falsifiable evidence for their existence as there is for the Abrahamic God , I believe some of it exists within your own holy book.
In fact the Bible (and I believe the Koran also) makes reference to the magical powers of these Egyptian gods priests yet you disbelieve in the Egyptian deities and believe in God.
Why is that?
It is because of faith and nothing more.
You were not swayed to this belief by evidence of his existence, you were swayed by faith and thats fine.
Please do not hold it against me if I`m incapable of the same kind of faith.

I honestly believe you do yourself and your god a disservice by attempting to evidence him with what very little unimpressive evidence there is for his existence.
If there was evidence for god there would be no need for religious faith.

You weaken religious faith by supporting it with evidence.

I`ll leave you with the overused quote by Stephen Roberts..

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
linwood said:
Those people didn`t make use of their senses.
It is easily verified that the Earth is not flat by nothing more than common observation.
I agree with you, it's so obvious, but you know what? they didn't know it at that time and i bet you wouldn't if you were at that time.

I believe some of it exists within your own holy book.
In fact the Bible (and I believe the Koran also) makes reference to the magical powers of these Egyptian gods priests yet you disbelieve in the Egyptian deities and believe in God.
Why is that?
Show me where does it say in Quran there are other gods than Allah.

Read this Surah in Quran:

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

[1] Say: He is Allah, the One and Only;

[2] Allah, the Eternal, Absolute;

[3] He begetteth not, nor is He begotten;

[4] And there is none like unto Him. (Quran 112:1-4)

It is because of faith and nothing more.
Wrong.

You were not swayed to this belief by evidence of his existence, you were swayed by faith and thats fine.
With Evidence and Faith.

I honestly believe you do yourself and your god a disservice by attempting to evidence him with what very little unimpressive evidence there is for his existence.
How do you know for sure that i have ONLY very little unimpressive evidence for his existence?

If there was evidence for god there would be no need for religious faith.
Why? :sarcastic

You weaken religious faith by supporting it with evidence.
My believe in God didn't conflict with evidence and scince but it helps me to prove his existance.

I`ll leave you with the overused quote by Stephen Roberts..

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
and take my words to you ..

by The Truth .. :D

"When you understand that there is only one Captain for a ship, you will understand why i believe in one God".

linwood

Squirt said:
I thought that faith without hard evidence constituted hypocrisy -- or, at the very least, inconsistency.
No, we weren`t discussing faith, we were discussing evidenced belief.
You claimed there was evidence to support your belief in god while at the same time denying the evidence for leprechauns.

Having a religious faith in god is the same as saying "I feel it is true".
Who can argue with a feeling?

I can think it`s crazy, delusional, inconsistent or what have you but I can`t mount an decent argument against it.

However the moment a theist puts forth the Bible as "evidence" of God I can mount a very good argument against it based upon empirical evidence that cannot be denied.
The moment a theist puts forth "The Wonders of Nature" as evidence for god I can put forth a very good argument against it based upon empirical evidence that cannot be denied.

I can`t argue against faith with any force.

Does it really matter that I don`t understand religious faith?

They call it religious faith for a reason, either have faith in it or don`t but don`t attempt to evidence it.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
linwood said:
They call it religious faith for a reason, either have faith in it or don`t but don`t attempt to evidence it.
Maybe this is the case for other religions but not for Islam. Islam in arabic is "Dean or Deen" which means "a system of life" but it was mistranslated to be "religion" because there is no such a word in english equivalent to the arabic one.

Therfore, It's more accurate to say: my deen is Islam not my religion is Islam because there is no sepration in islam between our submition, faith and worshipping for Allah and between our daily life.

nutshell

The Truth said:
Maybe this is the case for other religions but not for Islam. Islam in arabic is "Dean or Deen" which means "a system of life" but it was mistranslated to be "religion" because there is no such a word in english equivalent to the arabic one.

Therfore, It's more accurate to say: my deen is Islam not my religion is Islam because there is no sepration in islam between our submition, faith and worshipping for Allah and between our daily life.
Regardless of what you call it, there is no evidence for your belief in God. If you think you have some, please share. Your belief is based on faith - something all the prophets have taught about.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
nutshell said:
Regardless of what you call it, there is no evidence for your belief in God. If you think you have some, please share. Your belief is based on faith - something all the prophets have taught about.
If it was only about faith then why the prophets "peace be upon them all" have to perform miracles?

It was only to show people, to prove for them, to show them how God is powerful. The power was performed by the prophets but it wasn't theirs but Allah's.

Read here to know what is the miracles of the pervious prophets and prophet Mohammed especially "peace be upon them all".

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503543470

Also here to read about the Scince and Quran.

- Miracles of the Quran (free e-books and videos): http://www.harunyahya.com/c_miracles_quran.php

- Refutation of Atheism (free e-books and videos): http://www.harunyahya.com/c_refutation_atheism.php

Here is an informative and so interseting website which you will not regret to spend your time in reading it's content.

I hope you will enjoy reading it.

http://www.harunyahya.com/

Peace ... :)

nutshell

The Truth said:
If it was only about faith then why the prophets "peace be upon them all" have to perform miracles?

It was only to show people, to prove for them, to show them how God is powerful. The power was performed by the prophets but it wasn't theirs but Allah's.

Read here to know what is the miracles of the pervious prophets and prophet Mohammed especially "peace be upon them all".

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503543470

Also here to read about the Scince and Quran.

- Miracles of the Quran (free e-books and videos): http://www.harunyahya.com/c_miracles_quran.php

- Refutation of Atheism (free e-books and videos): http://www.harunyahya.com/c_refutation_atheism.php

Here is an informative and so interseting website which you will not regret to spend your time in reading it's content.

I hope you will enjoy reading it.

http://www.harunyahya.com/

Peace ... :)
I believe miracles happen after one has faith. There can be no witness without faith.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
nutshell said:
I believe miracles happen after one has faith. There can be no witness without faith.
Ok, i'll try to make it easier for you to understand what do i mean.

For example, if a prophet like Moses "peace be upon him" for instance went to his people saying: You have to believe in God, he sent me to you, you have to work for your faith now !!!

Who would believe that?

He showed them miracles which made it for sure without any doubt that God sent him that's why they believed in God and that Moses was sent from God to guide them to all the truth. After they saw somthing real then they started having this faith blindly on God because they are already sure about it and whatever happen after that, they will just judge it through thier faith because they trust God.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Thank you Linwood. This is a wonderful thread up to the point of it getting hijacked by the easily offended. Kudo's to you. If you are ever in my part of the world, look me up and I'll show ya around and buy you a beer. Wonderful thoughts. Back to the OP......

Have you ever done any kind of mediation?
Have you ever done any form of martial arts training?
If there was one thing you could change in your life, what would it be?

Squirt

linwood said:
You claimed there was evidence to support your belief in god while at the same time denying the evidence for leprechauns.
Excuse me, but I did not! Would you care to quote me?

Having a religious faith in god is the same as saying "I feel it is true".
Who can argue with a feeling?

I can think it`s crazy, delusional, inconsistent or what have you but I can`t mount an decent argument against it.
That's right. And I never said anything about there being evidence to support my belief in God. Not one word.

c0da

HAHA! Now back to the actual topic of the post! Who did you vote for in the US presidential elections? Kerry or Bush? And (yes, this is sort of about Linwood's atheism), was your decision influenced by Bushes comment about "god telling him to invade Iraq"? (see, told you it was kind of, abstractly, need for lots of imagination, linked in ;) )