• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assange has been released. He is now free: what do you think?

Julian Assange is a free man, now. Are you happy for him?

• Total voters

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's ok, your thread asks very interesting questions. Could you answer mine, as well?

Well, I've always believed that governments should operate transparently, and that the American public has a right to know what is done in America's name with the public's money. We are a democracy after all, but democracy is tainted when the flow of information is impeded or obstructed. The people are the leaders in a democracy, and leaders must have complete and accurate information in order to lead properly.

The routine practice of withholding information or making some "classified" while hiding behind the pretext of "national security" has done an extreme disservice to democracy. It also leads to a certain level of consternation and mistrust among the public, where they might wonder "Well, just what in the heck is our government hiding??!?"

Obviously, there would be some exceptions in times of war. We wouldn't want the Germans to see the D-Day invasion plans before D-Day, nor would we want any of the Axis governments to get wind of the Manhattan Project. However, a key difference back then is that it was during a declared war, as opposed to vague speculation about "threats to national security."

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Obviously, there would be some exceptions in times of war. We wouldn't want the Germans to see the D-Day invasion plans before D-Day, nor would we want any of the Axis governments to get wind of the Manhattan Project. However, a key difference back then is that it was during a declared war, as opposed to vague speculation about "threats to national security."
Wikileaks is about operations that took place in the past.
Not about ongoing or future war operations. So...no national security at risk.

These élites are just furious that someone exposed their war crimes.
It's like if I film a burglar while he breaks into someone's house and the burglar sues me after I release this video, because it "violates his privacy".

See? Same thing. Certain criminals think they have the right to privacy after committing a crime. :)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Me. I'm always serious. Dark humor can be serious and severe. I can laugh while being serious. I'm like a regular joker. But I am always so serious.
I know...but I wanted to point out that these élites don't represent the American people, so if they moved to Antarctica for ever, I guess the US would be a much better place. ;)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well... I am so happy for him. WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange released from prison after US plea deal
He is a HERO because he exposed the war crimes committed by a godless, cynical elitist gang of warmongers, which is stateless, of course.
But lives between the two shores of the Atlantic Ocean.

I thank God for this marvelous gift, and I also pray that He will do justice.
Because Assange is a martyr of our times.

tell me what you think. ;)
Your war crimes were committed by Christian leaders.
Not godless folk.
Stop blaming us for what your ilk does.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Your war crimes were committed by Christian leaders.
Not godless folk.
Stop blaming us for what your ilk does.
I explained the difference between godless and atheist many times.
Many theists are godless people. In the Vatican some Catholic murdered Pope Luciani in 1978...so please enough with this rigmarole.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Wikileaks is about operations that took place in the past.
Not about ongoing or future war operations. So...no national security at risk.

These élites are just furious that someone exposed their war crimes.
It's like if I film a burglar while he breaks into someone's house and the burglar sues me after I release this video, because it "violates his privacy".

See? Same thing. Certain criminals think they have the right to privacy after committing a crime. :)

I tend to agree, as it does appear more to do with covering up wrongdoing as opposed to anything that can be legitimately justified as "national security."

And I believe "furious" is an accurate observation. I recall hearing that Kissinger was quite furious when the Pentagon Papers story broke.

One thing I've observed is that government officials are often good actors, putting forth a smug, confident poker face when speaking to the press or giving some kind of official announcement. It's kind of amusing to think that, backstage, they're all blowing a fuse and getting all goo-goo over something like this. Somebody must have gone berserk. The U.S. government's obsession over Assange was the product of a twisted mind.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I tend to agree, as it does appear more to do with covering up wrongdoing as opposed to anything that can be legitimately justified as "national security."

And I believe "furious" is an accurate observation. I recall hearing that Kissinger was quite furious when the Pentagon Papers story broke.

One thing I've observed is that government officials are often good actors, putting forth a smug, confident poker face when speaking to the press or giving some kind of official announcement. It's kind of amusing to think that, backstage, they're all blowing a fuse and getting all goo-goo over something like this. Somebody must have gone berserk. The U.S. government's obsession over Assange was the product of a twisted mind.
It's the Streisand effect.
If they had just ignored the thing, Assange wouldn't have had all this attention.
The more you try to cover up something, the more that something will widespread.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Well... I am so happy for him. WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange released from prison after US plea deal
He is a HERO because he exposed the war crimes committed by an elitist gang of warmongers, which is stateless, of course.
operating in both shores of the Atlantic Ocean.

I thank God for this marvelous gift, and I also pray that He will do justice.
Because Assange is a martyr of our times.

tell me what you think. ;)
Depends on the classified material he released and if it poses a risk to national security and lives.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Depends on the classified material he released and if it poses a risk to national security and lives.
For example, during the White House Sultanate some emails disclosed that there is a very interesting connection between ISIS-ISIL and Qatar-Saudi Arabia.
Exposing the truth does not pose a risk to the people.
It poses a risk to godless, greedy élites who play with American people's lives. :)

Altfish

Veteran Member
Happy he has been released BUT can't say I like the man, he aided Trump to win the election, it's never been explained why Farage visited him during the Brexit campaign. Also, what happened with his rape allegations?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Happy he has been released BUT can't say I like the man, he aided Trump to win the election,
Exactly.
Hillary didn't deserve to win the elections in 2016 for what she had done in Libya.
So I thank Assange for doing justice and exposing all that. :)

Heyo

Veteran Member
No risk to national security. The "crime" for which he will be convicted is that he was actively looking for the material he was publishing. So, basically, for doing the job of a journalist.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
No risk to national security. The "crime" for which he will be convicted is that he was actively looking for the material he was publishing. So, basically, for doing the job of a journalist.
According to some elitist ideology, the criminal is the journalist who denounces a war crime. Not the one who commits it.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
According to some elitist ideology, the criminal is the journalist who denounces a war crime. Not the one who commits it.

"
Russian Offensive Campaign Assessment, June 25, 2024
Jun 25, 2024 - ISW Press

Two major international bodies—the International Criminal Court (ICC) and the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) — announced decisions on June 25 confirming Russia's long-term perpetration of war crimes and human rights violations in Ukraine. The ICC's Pre-Trial Chamber II (the chamber in charge of the ICC's Ukraine-related investigations and prosecutions) announced on June 25 that it had issued arrest warrants for former Russian Defense Minister and current Security Council Secretary Sergei Shoigu and Chief of the Russian General Staff Army General Valery Gerasimov for "the war crime of directing attacks at civilian objects" in Ukraine."

Now these 2 courts are what, @Estro Felino?