• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

atheism and fear of death

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Everyone keeps saying that I will die and that it's unavoidable but I have yet to see this as true.

Well, it is commonly accept for the world, since a lot of people have already died and if you are young you will if lucky experince some people die before you. Or you may die tomorrow.

So explain how you are not like other people before you?

We Never Know

No Slack
I've seen a mix.

Most theists I've encountered seem to be just as sad about the death of loved ones as atheists are.

However, I remember one extended family member's funeral: the people from her church were all happy about her going to Heaven. It was creepy as ****.

Never seen anyone happy for that though I have heard people say they are now in a better place.
Something else I've seen from theists that I find quite sad: first, they experience normal grief, but then they interpret their grief as lack of faith in God, so they end up feeling not only the grief but also guilt over the grief. It's a messed up situation.

Never seen that either. The bible says...

Matthew 5:4 “Blessed are the that mourn: for they shall be comforted.”

Massimo2002

Well, it is commonly accept for the world, since a lot of people have already died and if you are young you will if lucky experince some people die before you. Or you may die tomorrow.

So explain how you are not like other people before you?
I am not like those people Because I am not dead and don't feel like I will die.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Those of you who don't believe in God or an afterlife, how do you deal with the fear of death?

To be honest, I don't believe that we should necessarily fear death. We all have an upcoming appointment with death, and it is just an unavoidable fact of life. Personally, I no longer fear dying since I renounced my belief in the biblical God. After what I've experienced since I was six years old, I've decided that I have no legitimate reason to accept what the Bible teaches about the afterlife or that death is something that I should necessarily fear. But I do wonder how I will die and whether I will choose to cross over into the spirit world. However, I'm not concerned about what will happen to me on the other side.