• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

atheism and fear of death

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Have you ever been under a general anaesthetic, like for surgery? Many, many people have. How do you think the anaesthesiologist makes your consciousness "go away," because I assure you, it isn't there. You have no memory of being sliced open and bits of you removed.

Nobody, not a single person, has ever seen a consciousness without a living, working brain. The reason nobody knew what they were doing before they were born is that they didn't yet have a living, working brain. Under anaesthesia, your brain is still living, but is not working properly due to chemicals poured into it. When you do, you will again have no living, working brain. Where do you think consciousness is going to come from?

I am not looking forward to dying, as perhaps the process might be painful. And yet, I am not afraid of being dead, though at 76, it can't be far away.
You might have quite a bit more time...my mom lived to 95, and dad will turn 100 in October...you could have quite a bit more to go before shuffling off this mortal coil...I'm not sure I can do another 30 or 35 years, myself...

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
You might have quite a bit more time...my mom lived to 95, and dad will turn 100 in October...you could have quite a bit more to go before shuffling off this mortal coil...I'm not sure I can do another 30 or 35 years, myself...
Both my father and mother were dead before they reached my present age. However, I still feel healthy -- except I can't walk very well, but that's mechanical. Though, of course, not being able to move as much as I'd like is certainly not contributing to increased longevity. Still, however long I've got, I intend to enjoy it -- and though, as I said, I'm not looking forward to the process of becoming dead, the fact of being dead doesn't concern me at all.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I have no fear of death, we all die, it's a fact of life.

The first law of thermodynamics tells me that the atoms that make up my body will be reused*. I am content with that

* In that way we are all made of dead people.
“Let the dead bury the dead”, right?

Regards

Madsaac

So you're aware that there is not a thing to remember. Awareness didn't stop.
I was only aware because I woke up, so awareness did stop.....maybe??
No. In that state, one experiences absence. One is still aware one is experiencing nothing. One's awareness doesn't stop experiencing. It is experiencing and absence of time, space, and causation.
As above, I don't think you can be aware of experiencing nothing because you are unconscious. Once your brain stops functioning, everything stops functioning, you cannot experience anything. That state of unconsciousness that comes from a 'general' is the same as being dead, in regards to what a person can experience, which is nothing, there maybe some neurological reflexes but thats it.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I was only aware because I woke up, so awareness did stop.....maybe??

As above, I don't think you can be aware of experiencing nothing because you are unconscious. Once your brain stops functioning, everything stops functioning, you cannot experience anything. That state of unconsciousness that comes from a 'general' is the same as being dead, in regards to what a person can experience, which is nothing, there maybe some neurological reflexes but thats it.

That is only a fact, if methodological naturalism holds as in effect philosophical naturalism.

As a skeptic I don't know one way or another for such questions.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
As above, I don't think you can be aware of experiencing nothing because you are unconscious.
One is aware of dreams and experiencing in REM sleep. Are you conscious while dreaming?

Once your brain stops functioning, everything stops functioning, you cannot experience anything.
The brain does not stop functioning during deep sleep or under the state of general anesthesia. If it did, one would be considered brain dead.

That state of unconsciousness that comes from a 'general' is the same as being dead, in regards to what a person can experience, which is nothing, there maybe some neurological reflexes but thats it.
You are correct that a person under general anesthetic experiences nothing. As I said previously, it's an experience of absence, not an absence of experience. The "I" still exists. It doesn't cease to exist while under anesthetic and come back into existence when one awakens, does it?

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Because i believe in God and in the afterlife i have less fear of death

Those of you who don't believe in God or an afterlife, how do you deal with the fear of death?

When you've experienced a brush with death, you Begin to realize how precious life is

I can either respect the fact that my life ends at some point, or I can seek escapism or succumb to fear of things that are out of my control. I don't want to sink into delusion, and I don't want to live a life ruled by fear. Instead of avoiding or fearing death, I've learned to accept it's eventuality and appreciate what time I do have. We all have to die some time. It's natural, and I'm not any more special than any other living thing

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
When you've experienced a brush with death, you Begin to realize how precious life is

I can either respect the fact that my life ends at some point, or I can seek escapism or succumb to fear of things that are out of my control. I don't want to sink into delusion, and I don't want to live a life ruled by fear. Instead of avoiding or fearing death, I've learned to accept it's eventuality and appreciate what time I do have. We all have to die some time. It's natural, and I'm not any more special than any other living thing

For the bold one, depending on understanding of that, e.g. the belief that humans have positive value could be consider that.
So to me, it is not that black and white, but there is also some grey for how we cope individually.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
For the bold one, depending on understanding of that, e.g. the belief that humans have positive value could be consider that.
So to me, it is not that black and white, but there is also some grey for how we cope individually.

What does the belief that humans have positive value have to do with delusion or the fear of death? Maybe you could unpack that more for me

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
paarsurrey said:
Let the dead bury the dead”*, right?

*It is a saying of (Jesus)Yeshua- the truthful Israelite Messiah ( who was neither a Zealot, nor he belonged to the Zionism people nor to the Judaism people), as per the Pauline-NT Bible, please, right?
Luke 9:60

Regards

I your opinion.
Mine is very different.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

paarsurrey said:

*It is a saying of (Jesus)Yeshua- the truthful Israelite Messiah ( who was neither a Zealot, nor he belonged to the Zionism people nor to the Judaism people), as per the Pauline-NT Bible, please, right?
I your opinion.
Mine is very different.
Never mind, it was a friendly discussion and is welcome. Difference of opinion and or conflict, done sincerely, is good while practicing the Religious Method, as it has inbuilt modes operandi for resolving them; I envision the Scientific Method must also have it though the history of Science is littered with the conflicts, some of them and or many of them, if not innumerable, may still have to be resolved as yet if no done already, please, right?
Clue:-
" The history of science is littered with fierce and bitter conflicts. Historians of science have generally shown a strong interest in such personal vendettas. "

Regards

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

paarsurrey said:

Never mind, it was a friendly discussion and is welcome. Difference of opinion and or conflict, done sincerely, is good while practicing the Religious Method, as it has inbuilt modes operandi for resolving them; I envision the Scientific Method must also have it though the history of Science is littered with the conflicts, some of them and or many of them, if not innumerable, may still have to be resolved as yet if no done already, please, right?
Clue:-
" The history of science is littered with fierce and bitter conflicts. Historians of science have generally shown a strong interest in such personal vendettas. "

Regards

Well, just look as Gaza and you will see no conflict as per relgion. That is all fake news from Satan, please, right?