• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism does not exist

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
So when you meet with your god, how do you communicate?

I never said anything about talking to god, the moment is really fuzzy hence I never rely on this argument a lot but I just remember non-existing colors and a bleak existence. I prefer not talking about it though in great detail.
You are comparing the deistic god to mythology which is at serious fault because deist do not believe god has any command to express to humankind.

Your own words: "because his only scripture is everything you see and believe" What did you mean by that?

I mean that for a deist natural understanding, logic and science are equivalent to studying god. God's only scripture is the world he created as it exist because of him.
Holy books are often used to describe god or assign attributes to him and for a deist all we can know about god is what we experience right now.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
But every christian has his/her own definition for being a christian.

And every muslim has his/her own definition for being a muslim.

And every buddhist has his/her own definition for being a buddhist.

And so on.

Would it surprise you that every atheist has his/her own definition for being an atheist?

Would you appreciate if that definition is "one who knows there is no god despite having no proof to validate it and being as worst as the theist he argue against"?

So your saying the definition of atheist should be hypocrite? This is my point, most atheist as expressed int his thread claim that "they do not believe the existence of god is likely" which is a logically correct answer. You are at fallacy because you cannot prove god does not exist and you state this without having any evidence making you as worst as the theist you claim to have proven wrong.

Last edited:

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I define atheist as somoeone who doesnt believe in God or Gods, but who finds it very very very very very very very very very very very unlikely.

This is the best definition I have heard so far. It makes complete sense and does not contradict itself :)

idav

Being
Premium Member
Would you appreciate if that definition is "one who knows there is no god despite having no proof to validate it and being as worst as the theist he argue against"?
Belief is based on a yes or no question. Questions of knowledge is a seperate issue but it is true that a gnostic theist is about the same as gnostic atheist as far as an claims are concerned. Most, even theists, claim agnostic in that full knowledge isn't or can't be known.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Belief is based on a yes or no question.
:no:

You can use a yes or no question to assess the belief that you already have, if you like, but every bit of information we possess is automatically "belief."

Belief is us investing in having been informed.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
So your friend is an atheist?
Or does he accept every single claimed deity?

Agnostic would be the technical term but he will say atheist. There is a language barrier I am trying to work around.
The point he made to me was that nobody can disprove god so atheism does not exist. This is how atheism was taught in communist countries though so the definition is very limited.
But if you treat atheism as 'knowing god does not exist' it becomes as much of a failure as the theistic claim of knowing god does exist.
I have heard many atheist claim similar which is why I am trying to make a collective understanding of what atheism is.

Is it knowing god does not exist or finding the existence of a god highly unlikely. Nothing is wrong with a word having different interpretation but if it becomes to loose it can take on a whole different interpretation that is highly contradicting.

zaybu

So your saying the definition of atheist should be hypocrite? This is my point, most atheist as expressed int his thread claim that "they do not believe the existence of god is unlikely" which is a logically correct answer. You are at fallacy because you cannot prove god does not exist and you state this without having any evidence making you as worst as the theist you claim to have proven wrong.

From my own POV - to make sure I'm not speaking for anyone else - I'm an atheist because I find no convincing argument that there is one. And since I became an atheist, I find no need to believe in one.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Is it knowing god does not exist or finding the existence of a god highly unlikely. Nothing is wrong with a word having different interpretation but if it becomes to loose it can take on a whole different interpretation that is highly contradicting.
It is actually neither of those.
It is the lack of belief in any deity.
Anything else added is merely a clarification of their beliefs, not a further "definition" of the word atheist.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
From my own POV - to make sure I'm not speaking for anyone else - I'm an atheist because I find no convincing argument that there is one. And since I became an atheist, I find no need to believe in one.

A common enough view; certainly mine as well.

ArtieE

But if you treat atheism as 'knowing god does not exist' it becomes as much of a failure as the theistic claim of knowing god does exist.
I have heard many atheist claim similar which is why I am trying to make a collective understanding of what atheism is.

Is it knowing god does not exist or finding the existence of a god highly unlikely.
It is "lacking a belief in deities". Look at it as a trial. The prosecution claims that "a god is guilty of existing" but has no evidence to prove it. The defense needn't say anything. The jury (every rational person) must come to the conclusion that "a god is not guilty of existing" since there's no evidence, just like a defendant is innocent until proven guilty gods must also be "not guilty" of existing until proven otherwise.

jmn

I personally reject any claim of a deity or any afterlife.

A claim has to be met by burden of proof.

The evidence is in my favor, to reject any claim.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It is "lacking a belief in deities". Look at it as a trial. The prosecution claims that "a god is guilty of existing" but has no evidence to prove it. The defense needn't say anything. The jury (every rational person) must come to the conclusion that "a god is not guilty of existing" since there's no evidence, just like a defendant is innocent until proven guilty gods must also be "not guilty" of existing until proven otherwise.

I may be mistaken, but the OP seems to be close to taking as a premise that it is the doubt of his existence that needs evidence. As if disbelief in God were a guilt that should be proven, actually.

A Muslim enough view, if certain sources were correctly understood by me.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I may be mistaken, but the OP seems to be close to taking as a premise that it is the doubt of his existence that needs evidence. As if disbelief in God were a guilt that should be proven, actually.

A Muslim enough view, if certain sources were correctly understood by me.

This is fairly correct :yes:. I am often told that atheism is "the belief that there is no god". This forms an absolute as it implies an atheist knows there is no god.
Knowing something means you have some sort of evidence to provide the lack of disbelieve.
Atheism without a doubt means that one does not accept god but just like all of the varying form of theism one should correctly establish a sound definition of atheism that does not run into the similar argument that theist provide.

Both parties believe in something about god (one says he exist and the other says he does not) yet both cannot provide evidence for either statement. To me this would just lump atheism and theism together since they are founded on the same level of thinking. One rejects god without knowing and other other accepts god without knowing. Both provide subjective evidence to validate their claims and both have been bickering for a thousand years almost.
To a deist they are equally the same since we strip both thoughts to their provided claims and remove superstition and empirical thinking out of the way. Once that is done atheist who claim they "know there is no god" and theists who claim they "Know there is a god" are mutual partners.
If you know the works of deists int he past you would have known they lump the two together and declare foolery of them both.

I should also make it clear my question is based on my point of view which is a deist so like all deist I am not atheistic or theistic. I stand out of both realms and view both as opponent to deism. Christians battle outside religions and those without religion while a deist battles ALL religion, superstition, and non-theism.
Being a deist requires a lot of enemies :D

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
This is fairly correct :yes:. I am often told that atheism is "the belief that there is no god". This forms an absolute as it implies an atheist knows there is no god.

On the contrary, although the practical difference is indeed often negligible.

Even choosing specifically the strong atheists subset (those who, like me, say that there is no god), very few among us will say that we "know" that there is no god.

Quite simply, we have no way of knowing. Nor do we need to, either.

Knowing something means you have some sort of evidence to provide the lack of disbelieve.
Atheism without a doubt means that one does not accept god but just like all of the varying form of theism one should correctly establish a sound definition of atheism that does not run into the similar argument that theist provide.

Sorry, I'm having the hardest time following this line of thought. It is just too alien to me.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Your assumption is incorrect. Believing is not necessarily, or even usually, synonomous with knowing. We-- humans-- believe lots of things that we cannot and do not know with 100% certainty.

I believe that gods do not exist, as there has been no compelling reason offered to convince me of that hypothesis. But I do not know that they don't exist for sure. I find their existence highly unlikely, but not impossible.

Both parties believe in something about god (one says he exist and the other says he does not) yet both cannot provide evidence for either statement. To me this would just lump atheism and theism together since they are founded on the same level of thinking. One rejects god without knowing and other other accepts god without knowing. Both provide subjective evidence to validate their claims and both have been bickering for a thousand years almost.
Here's your problem: theism and atheism are about defining beliefs. Agnosticim and gnosticism is about defining knowledge.

Regardless, it's kinda silly to demand that people must have absolute knowledge in order to hold a belief. I assume you believe that the sun will rise tomorrow (figuratively; I know the sun literally doesn't rise.) But you don't know that it will.

Do you think, then, that the belief that the sun will rise, and that the sun won't rise, should be lumped as equally irrational, indistinguishable beliefs?

To a deist they are equally the same since we strip both thoughts to their provided claims and remove superstition and empirical thinking out of the way. Once that is done atheist who claim they "know there is no god" and theists who claim they "Know there is a god" are mutual partners.
If you know the works of deists int he past you would have known they lump the two together and declare foolery of them both.
What do you think a deist is? I always thought they were people who believed in an impersonal creator-god. I really don't see how such an belief fixes your problem, seing as you don't know that such a being exists any more than the theists knows that his personal creator-god exists.

I should also make it clear my question is based on my point of view which is a deist so like all deist I am not atheistic or theistic. I stand out of both realms and view both as opponent to deism. Christians battle outside religions and those without religion while a deist battles ALL religion, superstition, and non-theism.
Being a deist requires a lot of enemies :D
I don't think you are operating under the correct definition of a deist. You guys have a lot more in common with theists than atheists, in that you hypothesize the existence of a god in the absence of any evidence for one.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
As others have mentioned before, that is hardly the universal definition of atheism. But also, claiming "belief" is not the same as claiming "knowledge". Just because you believe something, doesn't mean you KNOW that it is true, just that you have decided to accept the claim as being true for whatever reason. There is no certainty of knowledge implied by belief, just the implication that whatever is believed is accepted as being true.

Again, no. People can believe things for a variety of reasons, and evidence doesn't have to be one of them. Also, when you start to talk about providing evidence of a "lack of disbelief" your language is beginning to spiral into absurdity.

Both parties believe in something about god (one says he exist and the other says he does not) yet both cannot provide evidence for either statement. To me this would just lump atheism and theism together since they are founded on the same level of thinking.
It's not as simple as "they're both the same". One is right and one is wrong, they cannot both be right or both be wrong, one must be correct and the other incorrect. What matters are the reasons and the evidence to support any claims made. Since the null hypothesis means that disbelief of a position is the default position, I reject the claim that my atheism means I can be lumped in with theists. They believe something which I don't, and I feel the absence of my belief is more rational than their belief.

This reminds me of this cartoon:

atheists.png

I think this cartoon really nails this kind of argument on the head. When you look at two mutually exclusive positions and declare that both are fools, you are not participating in the debate, just using the debate to boost your own ego by claiming that people involved in it are all somehow lacking the bigger picture. This is called "the fallacy of the middle-ground", when you assert that just because there are two positions on a subject, the truth must lie "somewhere between", and where the very notion of "taking a position on either side" is seen as some sort of automatic indication of intellectual inferiority. It's not. There are incredibly intelligent people on both sides of this debate, and refusing to acknowledge the possibility that maybe one side has a better argument than the other or, god forbid, you might actually agree with one side over the other is NOT any kind of admission of intellectual weakness. It's called having an opinion.

I should also make it clear my question is based on my point of view which is a deist so like all deist I am not atheistic or theistic.
Yes you are. They are mutually exclusive positions. You cannot neither believe nor reject a proposition, nor can you do both. You either believe X exists, or you do not believe X exists. That's it.

I stand out of both realms and view both as opponent to deism. Christians battle outside religions and those without religion while a deist battles ALL religion, superstition, and non-theism.
Except deism, of course, which can be a form of superstition.

Last edited:

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Maybe this can help put things into perspective-- the atheist perspective.

Imagine that all of your parents, friends, co-workers, etc, believe that an invisible, pink, shimmery dragon lives in the forest down the road.

You've never seen the dragon. When you were a kid, you probably even believed that the dragon lived there because that's what your parents always told you.

But then you get older, or perhaps you were always skeptical, and you start asking questions. Okay, if there is a dragon in the forest, why can't you see him? The reply is that it is invisible. But that doesn't really help you in finding out whether it's really there or not. In fact, it suspiciously sounds like a cop-out. Any dragon droppings? Nope. Occassionally, sheep from the ranch go missing, and farmers claim that the dragon ate them. Sometimes it's really windy out, and the people say that that is the dragon flying overhead.

But you've read in books that there are wolves and wolves eat sheep. And you've also read what causes winds and storms.

Eventually you realize that nobody really has proof that this invisible shimmery pink dragon exists. They just assume it does.

Maybe, just maybe, the dragon really is eating those sheep, and maybe it really is invisible and doesn't poop, and makes it windy.

But since there are other explanations for all that, and since you haven't been given any reason to believe that the dragon really does exist, you decide that you don't believe he does.

And that's that.

Last edited: