• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not a default position

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
As an atheist who eats babies, I accept your terms. The universe needs a cause because the universe is not God, and only God needs no cause. I mean, this is some by-definition shasterisks here.
Why does the universe need a cause? I must have missed the logical argument for that one - I was too busy burying dinosaur bones in my yard to upset the JW's next door.

Correct, atheism/theism is about what a person BELIEVES, whilst agnosticism/gnosticism is about what a person KNOWS.
Careful, you're letting them drag you too far down the rabbit hole: That's not a distinction I'm prepared to acknowledge. I'm still waiting for someone to distinguish agnosticism from atheism in a manner that makes any intelligible sense whatsoever.

Why does the universe need a cause? I must have missed the logical argument for that one - I was too busy burying dinosaur bones in my yard to upset the JW's next door.
Amateur mistake: You gotta bury the bones in their yard, or they're all "you just buried those bones in your yard, didn't you?", and then you've gotta rely on your talent for subterfuge---which, having been trained (as all atheists are) in Hell for such purposes, we're certainly well-equipped, but you must have skipped Mephistopheles' class on risk-mitigation.

Anyways: The Universe needs a cause because everything needs a cause, and this is not a circular argument because it is not a circular argument.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Careful, you're letting them drag you too far down the rabbit hole: That's not a distinction I'm prepared to acknowledge. I'm still waiting for someone to distinguish agnosticism from atheism in a manner that makes any intelligible sense whatsoever.
Agnosticism has a 'g' in it.

As to something deeper, don't hold your breath.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Amateur mistake: You gotta bury the bones in their yard, or they're all "you just buried those bones in your yard, didn't you?", and then you've gotta rely on your talent for subterfuge---which, having been trained (as all atheists are) in Hell for such purposes, we're certainly well-equipped, but you must have skipped Mephistopheles' class on risk-mitigation.
Joking aside, I once found a fossil of an early stage in the evolution of God. It had a fully formed beard, but only a rudimentary staff of vengeance - may have been a hobo.
Anyways: The Universe needs a cause because everything needs a cause, and this is not a circular argument because it is not a circular argument.
Everything needs a cause except God - the supposed cause? Is that it?

If not circular, is it an elipse?

ArtieE

Are you.. do you.. I can't... what?

Let me try to get this straight: atheism infers no claim of not knowing and no claim of knowing---it doesn't infer "A", "not A", "I don't know if A", or "I don't know if not A". You've literally defined the term "atheism" into meaningless nonexistence.
LOL. Theism is defined as the presence of belief in the existence of god(s) and atheism is defined as the absence of belief in the existence of god(s). Both are perfectly good definitions.

Oh crap - that was brilliant. Wonder how many will get the trinity reference.
I know, right? I may have just converted myself...which... kinda sounds sinful.
LOL. Theism is defined as the presence of belief in the existence of god(s) and atheism is defined as the absence of belief in the existence of god(s). Both are perfectly good definitions.
Yep! Glad to hear you've evolved from your earlier definition---and so quickly, too!

Oh dear, I'm getting too snarky. Time to sleep and recharge my patience-batteries.

ArtieE

You don't acknowledge there's a difference between knowing something and believing something?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
You don't acknowledge there's a difference between knowing something and believing something?
Not when it is a belief you do not have. Knowing God does not exist and believing God does not exist are essentially equal - given that there is no evidence to address.

Are you really willing to define atheism and agnosticism as "lack of belief" vs. "lack of knowledge"? Because... because---and I don't normally do this---you really shouldn't. It'd be like shooting fish in a barrel... tomorrow. I do need sleep.

Edit:
Oh! What he said:
Not when it is a belief you do not have. Knowing God does not exist and believing God does not exist are essentially equal - given that there is no evidence to address.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

....:facepalm:
It's a belief, only, not knowledge. One can only make a statement that one ''knows'', that deity does not exist. Our knowledge is thus ''subjective'', making it belief.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
....:facepalm:
It's a belief, only, not knowledge. One can only make a statement that one ''knows'', that deity does not exist. Our knowledge is thus ''subjective'', making it belief.
What is the difference in practice between not believing an unevidenced entity exists, and knowing something for which there is no evidence does not exist?

ArtieE

So if a person says "I don't believe" he means the same as if he had said "I don't know"?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
What is the difference in practice between not believing an unevidenced entity exists, and knowing something for which there is no evidence does not exist?

Because ''no evidence'', is subjective. That's your summation, not necessarily others. Hence it's not in any practical or real sense ''knowing''.

It's just your perspective/opinion