• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not a default position

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
What is the difference in practice between not believing an unevidenced entity exists, and knowing something for which there is no evidence does not exist?

In theism, it doesn't necessarily require ''knowing'', that deity exists, either, so it's an apples & oranges thing. It's putting an arbitrary attribute to theism that it may not possess.*
*depends on the individual

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
In theism, it doesn't necessarily require ''knowing'', that deity exists, either, so it's an apples & oranges thing. It's putting an arbitrary attribute to theism that it may not possess.*
*depends on the individual
Well of course not, it is not possible to know god exists.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
So if a person says "I don't believe" he means the same as if he had said "I don't know"?
This is true, but most won't admit they don't know, they see it as not having faith, I feel they should simply admit they just don't know, in stead of being arrogant and ignorant, what's wrong in not knowing ?.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Oh yes of course.....thank you for the return....

Oddly enough, we walk about with the harmful things within....
the same things that will kill us if not for the default condition of good health.

Much like lacking belief.
It's all fine until we die.

Then that item of eternal life could fail....
for lack of belief.
Doesn't much change anything even if true. Even if god exists it doesn't change the fact that lacking the belief is still the default position.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Of course not. A person might very well say "I don't believe in fact I will go as far as to say I know God doesn't exist". So how can "I don't believe" mean the same as "I don't know"?
What difference does it make? You said it was the same person who does not believe god exists, and at the same time knows God doesn't exist - so it is the same person. You are describing the position of a single person. An atheist.

ArtieE

What difference does it make?
You see no difference between a person who says "I don't believe but I won't go so far as to say I know God doesn't exist" and a person who says "I don't believe and I will go so far as to say I know God doesn't exist"?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
What difference does it make? You said it was the same person who does not believe god exists, and at the same time knows God doesn't exist - so it is the same person. You are describing the position of a single person. An atheist.
'I don't know', leaves an equal option for theism, as for atheism. So, it is not ''atheism''. Technically.