• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism people have a belief "God does not exist "

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No you didnt - you disticly opposed and looked down upon it.
Wrong, I accepted it and then gave you examples. Here is the entire post quoted:

"

An atheist that does not believe in a higher being.[that was you}

Then there are countless examples:[this was me, as you see I accepted your definition}

atheist philosophers - Google Search

Bertrand Russel may be the most famous you will see in that search."

And there was one specific example and a link to countless others.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I certainly can't speak for theists, but when I've discussed evidence with believers I come to the conclusion that believers have a far lower threshold for what they consider to be reliable evidence than I do. Some believers tell me that they consider the bible to be evidence for God. However, I find nothing in the bible that leads me to believe that it is evidence for God, in the exact same way that I haven't read anything in the Hindu Vedas that leads me to believe that Vishnu is real, or anything I've read in the Koran that leads me to believe that the Muslim's god is real. If you happen to have what you consider to be sufficient evidence for God, I'm always open to hearing it and letting you know if it's sufficient for me as well. If not, I'll let you know why I don't consider it to be reliable evidence.
I would not believe in God based upon the Hindu Vedas, the Bible or the Qur’an either, but I do believe based upon the Revelation of Baha’u’llah. I think the Baha’i Faith is much better evidence than any of the older religions because all the facts surrounding the Revelation of Baha’u’llah are recent history so they are verifiable.

I read everything that was in print before I became a Baha’i in 1970 but I never really thought much about God back then because I was so young. It was only later in 2014 that I read one of those books called Gleanings again that I realized that it alone was enough evidence for me to believe that Baha’u’llah was speaking for God. At that time I started a new journey, because I was certain that God exists. We are all so different though, in what we consider evidence.
Personally I don't think that people should believe anything without verifiable evidence that it is true. That's why I don't believe in ghosts or magical fairies, or any of the other numerous fantastical things that some people are willing to believe in without verifiable evidence. It's just like if you don't believe in magical fairies, because you have never been presented with sufficient evidence to conclude that they are real. Why is the evidence insufficient for you, but it is sufficient for those who believe in magical fairies? I suspect that your answer would be that anyone who believes in magical fairies has a much lower threshold for what they consider to be reliable evidence than you do.
Logically speaking, there can be no verifiable evidence for God since an immaterial Being cannot be verified by objective means. God is a mystery for the most part, so if people cannot accept that they will never believe in God. But once we believe/know with certitude that God exists, the mystery is actually no problem at all. The reason that God remains a mystery is explained in the Writings of Baha’u’llah and it makes sense to me so I am perfectly satisfied with it.
If there actually is a god, I'm not saying that this god 'owes' me verifiable evidence that god exists. However, if this god wants me to believe that god exists then god had better be prepared to provide some verifiable evidence for that reality. Again, it's like me asking you why magical fairies owe you evidence for their existence. No one said they do. But if the magical fairies want you to believe in them, they're going to have to offer you evidence for their existence first.
First you said that god does not owe you verifiable evidence that he exists, then you said that if this god wants you to believe that he exists then he had better be prepared to provide some verifiable evidence for that reality. Do you see the contradiction? If God does not owe you that, why should God provide it? Why would god owe anyone verifiable evidence, which is in effect proof that he exists?

The problem is that you want verifiable evidence of something that cannot be verified. If magical fairies are not real, they cannot be verified. If God is immaterial, God cannot be verified. The solution is that we have to verify that God exists for ourselves, by looking at the only evidence that God has ever provided, the messengers God sends to represent Him. Once we have verified in our own mind that that the messenger spoke for God then we know for certain that God exists.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yes, but grossly true. There are some irrational atheists, and maybe even a few rational theists. It is an observation, but I am willing to be shown to be wrong. What theists believe due to reliable evidence?
I won't disagree with you on this point. As a group, atheists are probably more rational than theists are as a group. However, Baha'is are the exception, because we believe based upon reliable evidence, not based upon "feelings."

Also, as a group, atheists are more highly educated than theists, but again, Baha'is are the exception. Baha'is are highly educated as a rule. That could be one reason why they were smart enough to recognize Baha'u'llah. :)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I mean the human mind cannot recognize order in which things happen - does rational thoughts about god come before emotion? No.

Okay...that's an interesting perspective. Regardless, though, do you believe rational thought comes (or at least can come) later?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
As soon as anything is felt with the senses and thoughts start flowing the mind creates beliefs
That never happened to me, at least not as far as my religious beliefs are concerned.

I had to look long and hard at the evidence before I was going to believe in God since that is a HUGE commitment.

Moreover, there were times when I fought believing in God tooth and nail.

Bob the Unbeliever

No, that is very poor quality evidence. Reliable evidence does not require faith. It can be tested again and again.

Precisely. In fact, if you have actual evidence? You may simply dispense with faith altogether.

Take gravity-- it doesn't matter if you believe in it or not, but if you try to ignore it? Gravity acts on you regardless.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I won't disagree with you on this point. As a group, atheists are probably more rational than theists are as a group. However, Baha'is are the exception, because we believe based upon reliable evidence, not based upon "feelings."

Also, as a group, atheists are more highly educated than theists, but again, Baha'is are the exception. Baha'is are highly educated as a rule. That could be one reason why they were smart enough to recognize Baha'u'llah. :)

But we went over your "evidence" it was not much better than that of Christians or Muslims. Unless you have been holding back on us.

Shushersbedamned

That never happened to me, at least not as far as my religious beliefs are concerned.

I had to look long and hard at the evidence before I was going to believe in God since that is a HUGE commitment.

Moreover, there were times when I fought believing in God tooth and nail.
You should have looked long and hard before the sperm found the egg

Bob the Unbeliever

No, you do not have faith first. You look at the evidence first. Then once you are certain that the evidence is from God, there is no more need for faith, because you know God exists. :D

I did. And I am rather certain that no god who is WORTHY of the title?

Would ever stoop so low as to require special messengers...

That fact alone, proves pretty well, there is no evidence here.

Altfish

Veteran Member
What is your view on dark matter and dark energy?

By the way pity you do not believe in the fairies. Conan Doyle did.
We Pagans regard them as the cause of the expanding universe.
Dark energy and dark matter...are the current best explanations, it wouldn't surprise me if we come up with a better one (Not god did it)

I knew I'd upset someone with my list of non-beliefs.