• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist looking for religious debate. Any religion. Let's see if I can be convinced.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No, it is deflection. As atheists like to say if you can't show it you don't know it.
I always show and explain how know when I see atheists commit logical fallacies.
I have seen you misapply logical fallacies. I have not seen you properly refute them. Do you remember how many times I had to explain to you that when you make a statement without a qualifier that it is a claim? Many of the times that you were guilty of logical fallacies was when you made claims since your statements did not have an "I believe" qualifier. You may have meant it to be taken as a belief, but since you did not write it properly people were correct in pointing out your fallacies. You do not get to say "that was a belief not a statement" after the fact.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And I can tell you I have seen a pink elephant in my garage but without any evidence why would you believe me?
Except in this case I told you multiple times where the evidence is. Show me one time that you were corrected where the person that corrected you was wrong. Quote and link. When a person has been corrected well over twenty times and just denies it showing the errors against will not make any difference at all.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Except in this case I told you multiple times where the evidence is. Show me one time that you were corrected where the person that corrected you was wrong. Quote and link. When a person has been corrected well over twenty times and just denies it showing the errors against will not make any difference at all.
I have not seen any such corrections lately and I am not going to go back and look for posts that were posted weeks ago.

You are the one making the claim that I made mistakes so you are the one who is responsible for presenting the evidence.

Aside from that, whether I was right or wrong is only a subjective opinion, it is nothing that could ever be proven.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I have not seen any such corrections lately and I am not going to go back and look for posts that were posted weeks ago.

You are the one making the claim that I made mistakes so you are the one who is responsible for presenting the evidence.

Aside from that, whether I was right or wrong is only a subjective opinion, it is nothing that could ever be proven.
Weeks ago?

Tiberius

I believe it is an accurate account of reality.

I believe it is not.

I see we are making no progress.

If the only way you will believe we are making progress is for me to hold the same double standard as you, then no, we aren't, and it is unlikely we ever shall.

I judge the validity of a line of reasoning on the soundness of its logic, not on the conclusion it leads me to.

We are making no progress because you insist there should be testable or verifiable evidence for God, when such is impossible. That would be like me expecting to take a flight out to Jupiter just because I want to go to Jupiter.... It's unrealistic.

No, according to you, it is fundamentally impossible.

You have constantly refused to accept the simple fact that the lack of testable and verifiable evidence for religious claims is best explained by those claims being complete bunk.

I have presented the only evidence I have over and over and over and over and over again... Why would I present it again?

Let's be clear here.

You claim you have evidence for your position. I ask to see that evidence. You give me opinions that you believe are true. I tell you that your opinions are not evidence. You say that there is no evidence. You say that there are other kinds of evidence, and post a link about 15 different kinds of evidence. I show why those kinds of evidence are invalid. You claim there is evidence for your position.

Homeopathic medicines have been tested but i don't want to get into a discussion about which kind of medicine is best. Conventional medicine and homeopathic medicine each have their place.

There is not a single valid scientific test that shows that homeopathic medicine has any effectiveness.

I said that how God communicate through the Holy Spirit is not something we can ever understand and it certainly cannot be measured.

Then the same problem we had with God appears to apply to the Holy Spirit. You haven't solved the problem, you've just pushed it back a step.

Your inability to recognize that you have committed logical fallacies does not mean that you haven't made any. I might be the only person who has pointed out the logical fallacies you have made because I am the only believer who likes logic. And when I point them out I explain precisely why you committed them, unlike you.

You make me laugh.

I and several others have pointed out the multitudinous logical fallacies you have made.

No one other than you has claimed I have committed logical fallacies.

Maybe you should stop saying "that's not evidence" when it is evidence.

Your opinion is not evidence. If you fail to understand that, then there is no hope for a rational discussion.

I said: "If I was going to become an atheist it would be because I have issues with God." And then I said that I cannot become an atheist even though I have issues with God because I believe that God exists.

Then you should understand that having issues with God - something that requires you to believe that God exists - is completely incompatible with the atheistic position of not believing in God.

I thought you said you liked logic. You seem to have difficulty with its application.

No, I never said that. I said that there can never be any proof for the supernatural claims made by the Baha'i faith, or any other faith. I recognized the evidence that shows the Baha'i Faith is true and then became a Baha'i. I did not need proof for the supernatural claims.

Claiming that what you have is "evidence" for the supernatural claims of your religion (or any other) is no different to me claiming that comic books are evidence for Batman.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If the only way you will believe we are making progress is for me to hold the same double standard as you, then no, we aren't, and it is unlikely we ever shall.

I judge the validity of a line of reasoning on the soundness of its logic, not on the conclusion it leads me to.

Do you see the problem? You believe you are doing x and y but I also believe I am doing x and y, and never the twain shall meet.
No, according to you, it is fundamentally impossible.

You have constantly refused to accept the simple fact that the lack of testable and verifiable evidence for religious claims is best explained by those claims being complete bunk.
It is fundamentally impossible to have objective evidence for a God that is not an objective reality.

You have constantly refused to accept the simple fact that the lack of testable and verifiable evidence for religious claims is best explained by those claims not testable in the way you want them to be testable. However, they are testable.

“Bahá’u’lláh asked no one to accept His statements and His tokens blindly. On the contrary, He put in the very forefront of His teachings emphatic warnings against blind acceptance of authority, and urged all to open their eyes and ears, and use their own judgement, independently and fearlessly, in order to ascertain the truth. He enjoined the fullest investigation and never concealed Himself, offering, as the supreme proofs of His Prophethood, His words and works and their effects in transforming the lives and characters of men. The tests He proposed are the same as those laid down by His great predecessors. Moses said:—

When a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.—Deut. xviii, 22.

Christ put His test just as plainly, and appealed to it in proof of His own claim. He said:—

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. … Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.—Matt. vii, 15–17, 20”

Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era, p. 8
Let's be clear here.

You claim you have evidence for your position. I ask to see that evidence. You give me opinions that you believe are true. I tell you that your opinions are not evidence. You say that there is no evidence. You say that there are other kinds of evidence, and post a link about 15 different kinds of evidence. I show why those kinds of evidence are invalid. You claim there is evidence for your position.
Let's be clear here.

I say I have evidence for my beliefs. You ask to see that evidence. I tell you what that evidence is. You tell me that my opinions are not evidence. I say they are not my opinions, they are evidence.

I say that there are other kinds of evidence aside from testable evidence and post a link about 15 different kinds of evidence. You say those kinds of evidence are invalid and offer no explanation as to why they are invalid.
There is not a single valid scientific test that shows that homeopathic medicine has any effectiveness.
How could you possibly know that? Have you researched everything that is available? Or is that just another biased personal opinion? I know you are wrong because I have researched it.
Then the same problem we had with God appears to apply to the Holy Spirit. You haven't solved the problem, you've just pushed it back a step.
It will never be solved because you can never know how God communicates through the Holy Spirit since you are not a Messenger of God.
You make me laugh.

I and several others have pointed out the multitudinous logical fallacies you have made.

No one other than you has claimed I have committed logical fallacies.
Why would it matter how many people have pointed it out? You either committed them or you did not. I always explain HOW you commit them and I have never seen a refutation. You and others have never explained HOW I committed any fallacies because if you had doe so I could have proved I did not commit any.
Your opinion is not evidence. If you fail to understand that, then there is no hope for a rational discussion.
I never said my opinion is evidence, not once, not EVER.

That is another big fat straw man.
Then you should understand that having issues with God - something that requires you to believe that God exists - is completely incompatible with the atheistic position of not believing in God.

I thought you said you liked logic. You seem to have difficulty with its application.
You still did not understand what I said even though I repeated it over and over again..

I said: "If I was going to become an atheist it would be because I have issues with God."

In other words, if I was a believer who had issues with God I would go from being a believer to becoming an atheist and I would no longer believe in God.

And then I said that I cannot become an atheist even though I have issues with God because I believe that God exists.

In other words, I believe that God exists so I cannot become an atheist since atheists do not believe that God exists.

That is completely logical.
Claiming that what you have is "evidence" for the supernatural claims of your religion (or any other) is no different to me claiming that comic books are evidence for Batman.
Another big fat straw man.

How many times do I have to tell you that I do not have any evidence for the supernatural claims of my religion (or any other religion), 100 times, 1000 times, 1,000,000 times?

Last edited:

Tiberius

Do you see the problem? You believe you are doing x and y but I also believe I am doing x and y, and never the twain shall meet.

I'm simply concluding that a particular line of reasoning is either always valid or never valid. You do not agree with that position.

It is fundamentally impossible to have objective evidence for a God that is not an objective reality.

At least we are agreed that God is not objective reality.

You have constantly refused to accept the simple fact that the lack of testable and verifiable evidence for religious claims is best explained by those claims not testable in the way you want them to be testable. However, they are testable.

“Bahá’u’lláh asked no one to accept His statements and His tokens blindly. On the contrary, He put in the very forefront of His teachings emphatic warnings against blind acceptance of authority, and urged all to open their eyes and ears, and use their own judgement, independently and fearlessly, in order to ascertain the truth. He enjoined the fullest investigation and never concealed Himself, offering, as the supreme proofs of His Prophethood, His words and works and their effects in transforming the lives and characters of men. The tests He proposed are the same as those laid down by His great predecessors. Moses said:—

When a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.—Deut. xviii, 22.

Christ put His test just as plainly, and appealed to it in proof of His own claim. He said:—

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. … Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.—Matt. vii, 15–17, 20”

Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era, p. 8

It's not a valid test if the results can't be verified!

Let's be clear here.

I say I have evidence for my beliefs. You ask to see that evidence. I tell you what that evidence is. You tell me that my opinions are not evidence. I say they are not my opinions, they are evidence.

I say that there are other kinds of evidence aside from testable evidence and post a link about 15 different kinds of evidence. You say those kinds of evidence are invalid and offer no explanation as to why they are invalid.

I clearly explained why they are invalid as evidence for objective truth in THIS post.

How could you possibly know that? Have you researched everything that is available? Or is that just another biased personal opinion? I know you are wrong because I have researched it.

As you already know by now, I have created a thread specifically to deal with the validity of homeopathy. If there is indeed scientific evidence to support the claims homeopathy makes, present it there.

It will never be solved because you can never know how God communicates through the Holy Spirit since you are not a Messenger of God.

Maybe I am,, and you'll never know it because you are under a false idea of what a messenger of God is.

Why would it matter how many people have pointed it out? You either committed them or you did not. I always explain HOW you commit them and I have never seen a refutation. You and others have never explained HOW I committed any fallacies because if you had doe so I could have proved I did not commit any.

You have been clearly told what fallacies you have made. Both by me and by the other people who have pointed out your use of fallacies.

I never said my opinion is evidence, not once, not EVER.

That is another big fat straw man.

Every single time you say that there is EVIDENCE that Mr B is a messenger for God, you are presenting your opinion as evidence.

You still did not understand what I said even though I repeated it over and over again..

I said: "If I was going to become an atheist it would be because I have issues with God."

In other words, if I was a believer who had issues with God I would go from being a believer to becoming an atheist and I would no longer believe in God.

And then I said that I cannot become an atheist even though I have issues with God because I believe that God exists.

In other words, I believe that God exists so I cannot become an atheist since atheists do not believe that God exists.

That is completely logical.

Another big fat straw man.

No, it is not logical.

How can you have issues with a being that you do not believe even exists? It would be like me having issues with the aliens from the movie Independence Day because they blew up my home city!

How many times do I have to tell you
that I do not have any evidence for the supernatural claims of my religion
(or any other religion), 100 times, 1000 times, 1,000,000 times?

Okay, let's have a look at what you've said about evidence regarding your religion...

"I verified that He was a legit Messenger from God by looking at the evidence that proved to me that He is a Messenger." 1329

"I have evidence that supports Baha'u'llah's claim to be a Messenger of God" 1182

"there is evidence that 'indicates' that the Baha'i Faith is a true religion from God" 1189

"there is a boatload of evidence that shows that God chose to send Messengers." 786

"we also so have facts surrounding the early life and the coming of Baha'u'llah as well as what He did on His mission that demonstrates that He fulfilled the Bible prophecies for the Messiah and the return of Christ." 791

"The only evidence that God exists comes from Holy Books." 614

"holy books are the only real evidence of God because they originated from God through His Messengers." 652

"There is plenty of evidence that comes on the form of holy books" 653

"the objective evidence that God exists is in the scriptures" 654

That is just a small sample of the numerous posts in this thread where you claim there is evidence for God (which is a supernatural claim of your religion).

If you want me to believe that you've never claimed that you have evidence for the supernatural claims of your religion, then you should have claimed so many times that there WAS evidence!

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Do you really think that God is a physical being? I guess you don't read your Bible. God is a spirit being.

Begging the question fallacy.

God communicates to His Messengers through the Holy Spirit. That is made clear from reading the Bible or the Writings of Baha'u'llah.

Circular reasoning fallacy

There is no physical process occurring on God's behalf because God is not a physical being, but there is a physical process occurring in the brain of the Messenger because he is a physical being. There is also a spiritual process occurring in the Messenger's soul because he is a spiritual being.

To say that because human to human communication is a physical process that means that God to human communication would also be a physical process is the fallacy of false equivalence because God is not a physical being so God does not communicate physically. God is a spirit being so God communicates spiritually.

God has a mind but it is not physical because God is not physical.

Begging the question fallacy and a circular reasoning fallacy.

These are not claims, they are beliefs.

Asinine nonsense. beliefs and claims are not mutually exclusive, and when a belief is asserted as you have here it is the definition of a claim.

Assert
verb

1. State a fact or belief confidently and forcefully.

Claim
verb

1. state or assert that something is the case, typically without providing evidence or proof.

The dictionary isn't going away.

Tiberius

Circular reasoning fallacy

Begging the question fallacy and a circular reasoning fallacy.

Asinine nonsense. beliefs and claims are not mutually exclusive, and when a belief is asserted as you have here it is the definition of a claim.

Assert
verb

1. State a fact or belief confidently and forcefully.

Claim
verb

1. state or assert that something is the case, typically without providing evidence or proof.

The dictionary isn't going away.

I suspect her response will be to claim that you haven't demonstrated how they are fallacious, so they aren't fallacies. Or just outright denial.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
I suspect her response will be to claim that you haven't demonstrated how they are fallacious, so they aren't fallacies. Or just outright denial.

Possibly, that's why I hyperlinked them to an accurate definition of the fallacy. Logical principles exist as a method, ignoring them doesn't change this, it merely makes it more likely we will be irrational. That is something I want to try and avoid as much as possible.

I was in my mid thirties when I made a claim that was pointed out to me as an argumentum ad populum fallacy. I fact checked the claim, and was forced to admit it was correct, and learned about fallacies in informal logic from there.

Ignoring logic serves only one purpose, and that is to pretend we are not really using irrational claims. Like a small child hiding its face as if this means we can't see it.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Possibly, that's why I hyperlinked them to an accurate definition of the fallacy. Logical principles exist as a method, ignoring them doesn't change this, it merely makes it more likely we will be irrational. That is something I want to try and avoid as much as possible.

I was in my mid thirties when I made a claim that was pointed out to me as an argumentum ad populum fallacy. I fact checked the claim, and was forced to admit it was correct, and learned about fallacies in informal logic from there.

Ignoring logic serves only one purpose, and that is to pretend we are not really using irrational claims. Like a small child hiding its face as if this means we can't see it.

Logic is like God. It is an idea in the mind and it is not physical.
So please state the physical scientific measurement standards for irrational like say how to measure gravity.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I already explained how we know. It is in the Bible and the Baha'i Writings. Scriptures are the ONLY WAY we can ever know anything about God. Baha'u'llah wrote that God is a mystery, unknowable and undefinable, and that is how we know that.

“No one else besides Thee hath, at any time, been able to fathom Thy mystery, or befittingly to extol Thy greatness. Unsearchable and high above the praise of men wilt Thou remain for ever. There is none other God but Thee, the Inaccessible, the Omnipotent, the Omniscient, the Holy of Holies.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 4

Baha'u'llah also wrote that God is everlastingly hidden from the eyes of men and God can only be known through His Manifestation.

“Know thou of a certainty that the Unseen can in no wise incarnate His Essence and reveal it unto men. He is, and hath ever been, immensely exalted beyond all that can either be recounted or perceived. From His retreat of glory His voice is ever proclaiming: “Verily, I am God; there is none other God besides Me, the All-Knowing, the All-Wise. I have manifested Myself unto men, and have sent down Him Who is the Day Spring of the signs of My Revelation. Through Him I have caused all creation to testify that there is none other God except Him, the Incomparable, the All-Informed, the All-Wise.” He Who is everlastingly hidden from the eyes of men can never be known except through His Manifestation, and His Manifestation can adduce no greater proof of the truth of His Mission than the proof of His own Person.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 49
Then why are you now saying that you don't know what a spirit and and you can't know what a spirit is?
Do you not see how you're all over the place with this stuff?