• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Atheist"--the term itself

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
We know that what you think it is.
Indubitably. Perhaps we should dispense with the repetitious nature of the stating our views.

You can have whatever definition you want, you can't expect anyone else to hold to it. Would you agree that those are two fair statements?

I know my child was born an atheist and remained that way until about 8 years old.
Emotional appeal to family is not a rational avenue of discourse.

Do you consider it 100% equally valid for a fundamentalist Christian or Muslim to consider their child to have been born of their faith? If you acknowledge it equivalent in every way I will discontinue.

I counter with theos, your moving goal post, I expect better from you.
That failure of expectation exists on both sides. I have seen you, sans the emotional investment you bring to this discussion, operate with stellar logic.

Please evidence the word theos ever having been used as a descriptor of the beliefs of what we now call theistic people, especially comparative to the commiserate nature of greek atheos and english atheist. Or retract your claim of moved goalpost.

outhouse

Atheistically
Please evidence the word theos ever having been used as a descriptor of the beliefs of what we now call theistic people, especially comparative to the commiserate nature of greek atheos and english atheist. Or retract your claim of moved goalpost.

Theos = god
Atheos = without god

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
What about dead people? Are they atheists or theists?
My definition of dead people includes an after-life wherein they know about God, therefore all dead people are defined as theists.

According to the logic of this thread, if you disagree with that you must be heavily invested in rejecting the label of theist for dead people.

outhouse

Atheistically
Do you consider it 100% equally valid for a fundamentalist Christian or Muslim to consider their child to have been born of their faith?

Fundamentalist should not be used against all atheist.

Lets just use theist.

Not all theist would claim their child is born their faith, most would.

If we have to play by your special rules, then I would think most if not all "fundamentalist Christian or Muslim" would claim such. Even though we know theism is a learned trait.

I was baptized and considered a little Lutheran at 11 months. :p and we were far from fundamentalist.

outhouse

Atheistically
Emotional appeal to family is not a rational avenue of discourse.

It has nothing to do with emotions.

It is just the way MANY people chose to describe aspects of their lives in what is Important to them personally.

I could argue your so emotionally against the idea you wont let it go, even though the definition is quite clear in the encyclopedias. But its not worth it.

Implicit atheism has its place in society, even if small and barely used.

outhouse

Atheistically
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implicit_and_explicit_atheism

"Implicit atheism" is defined as "the absence of theistic belief without a conscious rejection of it",

"Absence of theistic belief" encompasses all forms of non-belief in deities. This would categorize as implicit atheists those adults who have never heard of the concept of deities, and those adults who have not given the idea any real consideration. Also included are agnostics who assert they do not believe in any deities (even if they claim not to be atheists). Children are also included, though, depending on the author, it may or may not also include newborn babies.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I draw the line where the ability to make informed decisions and have cognitive abilities to know if he/she believes or not. It's not just lacking belief, but knowing that you lack belief in a thing that you have some understanding of what it's supposed to be.
Just so. "Atheist" is not an ontological and objective reality.